ADVERTISEMENT

Beer Thread

I'm much more of a bourbon guy but recently I've got hooked on Spotted Cow. For the most part I don't drink beer but I can drink Spotted Cow all day.
Not much for IPAs etc, hoppy beers as I turn bright red but I know my cousin like Moon Man a ton.
Whats the general opinion from beer snobs on New Glarus? Good stuff or Wisconsin piss water?
I think we addressed NG a few pages ago. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

This beer and I, we did not connect - at all. Really, REALLY sweet and mango-ey. I shoulda paired it with a Cuban sandwich with a LOT of pork.

LLOL2Oj.jpg

Reactions: PtownHoosier
This beer and I, we did not connect - at all. Really, REALLY sweet and mango-ey. I shoulda paired it with a Cuban sandwich with a LOT of pork.

LLOL2Oj.jpg
I enjoyed it when I cracked one open last week. However, I split it about 5 ways. About 5oz is plenty because it is so sweet and syrupy.

I enjoyed it when I cracked one open last week. However, I split it about 5 ways. About 5oz is plenty because it is so sweet and syrupy.
It was WAAAAAAY too sweet for me - and the heat didn't cut the sweet at all. This, on the other hand, is phenomenal. Just enough heat to make it interesting, along with all the RIS checkmarks (char, chocolate, coffee, etc). I wish I had more.

lAs7AUd.jpg

Reactions: twenty02
It was WAAAAAAY too sweet for me - and the heat didn't cut the sweet at all. This, on the other hand, is phenomenal. Just enough heat to make it interesting, along with all the RIS checkmarks (char, chocolate, coffee, etc). I wish I had more.

lAs7AUd.jpg
Agreed. Central Waters does some outstanding stuff. I love their bourbon barrel aged Scotch Ale. Compares pretty well to Backwoods Bastard.

LLOL2Oj.jpg
It was on tap at my local today during our monthly bottle share, and while I didn't sample it, one in the group said this year's version paled in comparison to last year's, and specifically indicated what you said - too sweet, and not enough heat to balance it out. You are gotdamn beer genius! You're palate is solid!

Reactions: ovaltine
Traded away a bottle of barrel aged Hunter for some freshies - A bomber of Yellow Rose from Texas, a quad of fresh Treehouse, and a throw in hefe from Live Oak. I have been wanting some Yellow Rose for some time now, and the Treehouse made the deal make sense.

Now, the thing is, when to crack open the Yellow Rose? The bottle says it was capped on 3/10, so super fresh. Beer has a 97 rating on BA....

Also had some Nugget Nectar and White Rajah muled in by a bud who was working in Toledoville....

My beer fridge ranking just went up!

Traded away a bottle of barrel aged Hunter for some freshies - A bomber of Yellow Rose from Texas, a quad of fresh Treehouse, and a throw in hefe from Live Oak. I have been wanting some Yellow Rose for some time now, and the Treehouse made the deal make sense.

Now, the thing is, when to crack open the Yellow Rose? The bottle says it was capped on 3/10, so super fresh. Beer has a 97 rating on BA....

Also had some Nugget Nectar and White Rajah muled in by a bud who was working in Toledoville....

The Live Oak Hefe is world-class. One of the best hefe's I've ever had - including the iconic German iterations.

I'm interested in the Yellow Rose. I see that it's a single hop (mosaic) / single malt (not listed)

But has to be somewhat similar to Mosaic Promise, though a bit stronger.

I'm interested in the Yellow Rose. I see that it's a single hop (mosaic) / single malt (not listed)

But has to be somewhat similar to Mosaic Promise, though a bit stronger.

Did you get any Southern Tier 2XSMaSH? That's another Mosaic smash double IPA. 91 on BA and 98 on ratebeer. It was a one time limited run though (so far). Haven't seen in in a month or so so maybe it's gone by now.

Did you get any Southern Tier 2XSMaSH? That's another Mosaic smash double IPA. 91 on BA and 98 on ratebeer. It was a one time limited run though (so far). Haven't seen in in a month or so so maybe it's gone by now.

No, have not, but would be interested. I usually skip over Southern Tier. Haven't been that blown away with their normal offerings.

The mosaic promise was so good, I'm going to do a 10G batch this weekend.

It's disappearing faster than strippers on 2 for 1 lap dance night.

I've tried moderately hard to secure Smash.

I've been thwarted thus far.

I don't like to be thwarted.

Have to say that mosaic is the most interesting hop I've had. Never had beers with one single hop that are as complex tasting...it's like 3 in 1.

889F9682-0090-4E1F-B53A-A2D196AABACC_zps6sudplpj.jpg

This is a phenomenal beer. Tart but not over done like Upland. Cranberry, raspberry, cherry berliner weisse.

889F9682-0090-4E1F-B53A-A2D196AABACC_zps6sudplpj.jpg

This is a phenomenal beer. Tart but not over done like Upland. Cranberry, raspberry, cherry berliner weisse.
I have an upland strawberry I am willing to come off of. Only because I have a 2nd one.

If you or O or Hoops or Ptown want it let me know.

I get Upland pretty good, 6 blocks from BR taproom and I'm pretty sure Hoop and O aren't into that level of sour. Thank you tho, I do enjoy em myself.

I get Upland pretty good, 6 blocks from BR taproom and I'm pretty sure Hoop and O aren't into that level of sour. Thank you tho, I do enjoy em myself.
That would be an incorrect statement. Shoot, I'd get it for my wife, who has turned into a sour beer nerd (much to my chagrin - she's eying my Schell's sours, which are difficult to acquire and world-class).

Glad you corrected me. Thought I had asked before. There's also sours and Upland sours but that's for you to judge. What PO can't get for you, I probably can.

Nah, this is pretty accurate. I'm generally not a sour guy, and don't go chasing them, but I do like a good sour now and then.

I got soured on Upland (bad pun intended) a couple years back when I took my #2 offspring back to IU, and went to the Kroger to get some groceries for her, and there on a huge display table was bottle after bottle of the Upland sours that were only available via the "lottery" a month before.

Sorry, not in to false demand for a beer fueled only because there's limited quantities of it. And Upland greatly expanded their capacity, I believe, so their sours aren't really "rare" any more, at least in my mind.

Glad you corrected me. Thought I had asked before. There's also sours and Upland sours but that's for you to judge. What PO can't get for you, I probably can.
Didn't mean to sound harsh, but a rule of thumb for my tastes: if it's fermented, there's a decent chance I like it.

Side note: I'm in Texas, went with my salesman to a pub for beers and food. Much to my dismay, I decided to try Guinness Nitro IPA because I'd never tried it. It was NOT good. My rep, on my recommendation, tried Goose's The Illinois, a solid DIPA (I turned him on to IPA's with Sculpin a couple of year's ago).

So they bring him his beer, and it's this black thing. - not a stout, but DEFINITELY not a DIPA. "That's not the right beer" says I. "Yes it is" says the the waitress. "No, that's a porter, or a black ale. Smell it - no hops at all."

She brings over the bar manager. He looks at the beer, sniffs it (now that's two noses in my buddy's still untried beer), says, "Hold on a minute."

Comes back a couple of minutes later, says they had the lines crossed on a couple of taps, my buddy received a New Belgium 1554, their black ale, and apologized profusely. "Dude, you know your beer."

I don't know about that, but I know what a DIPA looks like, especially one I've tried numerous times. And THAT'S how you get a round comp'd. It's good to be a beer nerd, and it PAYS to be a beer nerd.

Carry on, ninjas.

Nah, this is pretty accurate. I'm generally not a sour guy, and don't go chasing them, but I do like a good sour now and then.

I got soured on Upland (bad pun intended) a couple years back when I took my #2 offspring back to IU, and went to the Kroger to get some groceries for her, and there on a huge display table was bottle after bottle of the Upland sours that were only available via the "lottery" a month before.

Sorry, not in to false demand for a beer fueled only because there's limited quantities of it. And Upland greatly expanded their capacity, I believe, so their sours aren't really "rare" any more, at least in my mind.

Tell me about it. Paid for their society last year. $300 for some swag and a promise to be able to buy up to 8 bottles of each flavor. You know what that costs on a year???!?

There are 3-4 flavors id want more than 2-4 of. Give me 8 Paw Paw, but it's a rip!

Didn't mean to sound harsh, but a rule of thumb for my tastes: if it's fermented, there's a decent chance I like it.

Side note: I'm in Texas, went with my salesman to a pub for beers and food. Much to my dismay, I decided to try Guinness Nitro IPA because I'd never tried it. It was NOT good. My rep, on my recommendation, tried Goose's The Illinois, a solid DIPA (I turned him on to IPA's with Sculpin a couple of year's ago).

So they bring him his beer, and it's this black thing. - not a stout, but DEFINITELY not a DIPA. "That's not the right beer" says I. "Yes it is" says the the waitress. "No, that's a porter, or a black ale. Smell it - no hops at all."

She brings over the bar manager. He looks at the beer, sniffs it (now that's two noses in my buddy's still untried beer), says, "Hold on a minute."

Comes back a couple of minutes later, says they had the lines crossed on a couple of taps, my buddy received a New Belgium 1554, their black ale, and apologized profusely. "Dude, you know your beer."

I don't know about that, but I know what a DIPA looks like, especially one I've tried numerous times. And THAT'S how you get a round comp'd. It's good to be a beer nerd, and it PAYS to be a beer nerd.

Carry on, ninjas.

Haha hilarious and no offense taken. Just remember chatting over the last 24 months. Find you some Yellow Rose while out that way.

Last 6 pack Kahns had, now in my possession.

A little old at 12/10/15, but I'll still give it a go.

In a good sign of craft beer improvements....Kahns has multiple cases of FFF gumballhead just sitting out being ignored.

You're gonna love this, Hoops - Mosaic hoppy deliciousness. I wish I'd bought a keg and then rented a plane to take it home.

zG7cRZu.jpg

Have you had Mosaic Promise?

As I said above, I picked up some of the 2XSmash from ST. It was good, but neither me or the Mrs thought it as good as my, homemade MP clone. The mosaic is defiantly there, but the malt doesn't have that unique counter balance like the Golden Promise malt....which has a sweetness to it, without being too much. The SMASH just tasted like regular pale ale malt

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT