ADVERTISEMENT

Beer Thread

I had one of these last night.

Twisted+Pine+Ghost+Face+Killah.JPG

Well, I had a bunch of friends over for my birthday/St. Pat's and and gave 5 others about a 1 oz pour. I had 3oz or so. I understand my math is off but we still dumped half of a 12 oz bottle down the drain. I really enjoy pepper beers, but this was insane. By far the hottest beer I've ever had. I wasn't hurting but it was not enjoyable. Maybe my remaining bottle can be used for chilli.
Well - Happy Birthday, counselor.

I've never been a fan of "hot" beers; exception being some balanced heat in a stout, where's the something sweet upfront to counteract the spice. As for Killah - nope, not gonna do it.

Reactions: PtownHoosier
Ballast Point

Showed up in Fort Wayne for the first time. Never had any. Saw it in the cooler at Bellmont on Illinois Road. Picked up Big Eye, Sculpin, and Grapefruit Sculpin. Had all three last night with the Mrs.

The Mrs approves.
Ballast Point is the real deal. It will be interesting to see how they evolve under the Constellation Brands umbrella.

For you home brewers...since it's actually my anniversary today, in the kettle right now is Batch 141, Anniversary IPA...

i-jvGTw2J.jpg

i-cQNjVCt.jpg
Happy Anniversary, Hank. I'll raise a glass tonight in honor of you and Mrs. Hank (probably Founders Mango Magnifico).

BTW, Mrs. O and I are celebrating our 26th this Thursday. Twenty-flocking-SIX!!! When I started hanging out here, we were married 8 years. Sweet Jeebus.

Reactions: twenty02
I had one of these last night.

Twisted+Pine+Ghost+Face+Killah.JPG

Well, I had a bunch of friends over for my birthday/St. Pat's and and gave 5 others about a 1 oz pour. I had 3oz or so. I understand my math is off but we still dumped half of a 12 oz bottle down the drain. I really enjoy pepper beers, but this was insane. By far the hottest beer I've ever had. I wasn't hurting but it was not enjoyable. Maybe my remaining bottle can be used for chilli.
I like heat. I don't like pain. That doesn't look fun.

Happy Anniversary, Hank. I'll raise a glass tonight in honor of you and Mrs. Hank (probably Founders Mango Magnifico).

BTW, Mrs. O and I are celebrating our 26th this Thursday. Twenty-flocking-SIX!!! When I started hanging out here, we were married 8 years. Sweet Jeebus.

Happy anniversary to you as well, O. Twenty three years here...

went to Deviate Brewing today as well as Black Acre.

Deviate is IMPRESSIVE. Great beers. The coffee banana beer and the dark chocolate cherry stout were world class.

Deviate does some pretty 'out there' stuff. I'm curious how they do, long term. Definitely a unique business model.

For you home brewers...since it's actually my anniversary today, in the kettle right now is Batch 141, Anniversary IPA...

i-jvGTw2J.jpg

i-cQNjVCt.jpg

Looks good, and very similar to a house IPA that I have ready to go in a keg. I used some Columbus, along with Citra and Mosaic. I also put in some oats in this one, no wheat.

Just kegged that MP clone last night. Smelled nice, samples were tasty.

Reactions: Hank Reardon
Looks good, and very similar to a house IPA that I have ready to go in a keg. I used some Columbus, along with Citra and Mosaic. I also put in some oats in this one, no wheat.

Just kegged that MP clone last night. Smelled nice, samples were tasty.

I'm convinced one could toss a couple of ounces of Mosaic into raw sewage and it'd end up being tasty. That hop is so good it should almost be illegal.

I'm kidding. OTF reference.

I'm a regional manager. My sales people sell electrical stuff (boxes, fittings, enclosures). I'm essentially eye candy.

Figured that might be an inside joke. Don't come around here near as much as I should. Always seems to be (mostly) good people on the OTF.

Regional Manager sounds quite official, almost big-time. I work in sales too, and a visit from the Regional Manager is almost always either a really good or (more likely) really bad sign about your current and future job prospects. Ha!

i-jvGTw2J.jpg

i-cQNjVCt.jpg
Looks excellent! I have a Zombie Dust clone I just transferred to secondary on Saturday. It smells awesome -- I'd love to try it and mix in some mosaic hops like you did in the recipe above. How do you like the Beer Smith software -- is it worth the $$?

Looks excellent! I have a Zombie Dust clone I just transferred to secondary on Saturday. It smells awesome -- I'd love to try it and mix in some mosaic hops like you did in the recipe above. How do you like the Beer Smith software -- is it worth the $$?

If you're brewing all grain then something like Beersmith or Beer Tools Pro is definitely worth the money, especially if you're constructing your own recipes as opposed to following someone else's recipe. I can't imagine brewing without it.

If you're brewing extract-based beers, then it might not be as indispensable. But it would still have value.

I'm convinced one could toss a couple of ounces of Mosaic into raw sewage and it'd end up being tasty. That hop is so good it should almost be illegal.

First tastes of the mosaic promise tonight. It's been carbing for 3 days, so not fully there, and the yeast hasn't fully cleared.

But it's delicious. The better half called it the best homebrew to date. Considering it is a week or more from its prime, that is a good review. And she's a beer snob, worse than I am.

I've frequently found that the simplest recipes produce the best beer, this is no exception.

Only difference from you, and probably throws it off from a true clone, is I used WY1968 London Ale yeast. I had a lot left from a prior batch, doing a lot of FFF clones, and that's their house yeast for their hoppy ales. I've always had great results with it. But it does give that slight English ale flavor.

Last edited:
right on man. I'm glad you liked it. I'm going up to Dark Horse on April 23rd I'll see what other goodies I can get brewery release only if they have any. Tonight I had this.

e5a58f945fe54f9fde43438e3c3d51ff_640x640.jpg

def04991ef07efd1a42ce0a10f17fd07_640x640.jpg

Well - Happy Birthday, counselor.

I've never been a fan of "hot" beers; exception being some balanced heat in a stout, where's the something sweet upfront to counteract the spice. As for Killah - nope, not gonna do it.

I've tried Ghost Face Killah. It was TERRIBLE. So damn spicy. Not enjoyable at all.

That Founders Mango Magnifco is spicy IMO. I thought it sucked balls.

I still use

http://www.brewersfriend.com/stats/

And it works good enough for free.

But Beersmith is likely what you want to go with eventually. Though Brewers Friend has a nice premium option for saving recipes, etc..

I'm much more of a bourbon guy but recently I've got hooked on Spotted Cow. For the most part I don't drink beer but I can drink Spotted Cow all day.
Not much for IPAs etc, hoppy beers as I turn bright red but I know my cousin like Moon Man a ton.
Whats the general opinion from beer snobs on New Glarus? Good stuff or Wisconsin piss water?

I'm much more of a bourbon guy but recently I've got hooked on Spotted Cow. For the most part I don't drink beer but I can drink Spotted Cow all day.
Not much for IPAs etc, hoppy beers as I turn bright red but I know my cousin like Moon Man a ton.
Whats the general opinion from beer snobs on New Glarus? Good stuff or Wisconsin piss water?

New Glarus makes world class fruit beers. The best fruit beer I have ever had was New Glarus Strawberry Rhubarb which is no longer being produced. It was like drinking a liquid fruit roll-up.

Other New Glarus beers I've had are:
Spotted Cow which I didn't are for much. Not alot going on.
Serendipity which is a fruit beer. delicious
Scream IIPA which I thought was very good.
Fat Squirrel Ale which is just meh

New Glarus makes world class fruit beers. The best fruit beer I have ever had was New Glarus Strawberry Rhubarb which is no longer being produced. It was like drinking a liquid fruit roll-up.

Other New Glarus beers I've had are:
Spotted Cow which I didn't are for much. Not alot going on.
Serendipity which is a fruit beer. delicious
Scream IIPA which I thought was very good.
Fat Squirrel Ale which is just meh
Yeah my brother who is a big beer snob loved the scream.

I got my mom some of their berry beer, I don't recall what flavor and I thought it was pretty good but I couldn't have more than 1 glass

I'm kidding. OTF reference.

I'm a regional manager. My sales people sell electrical stuff (boxes, fittings, enclosures). I'm essentially eye candy.
Riiiiiiiiiight. Happy early anniversary to you and Mrs O. I've got multiple lines out fishing for KBS in addition to trying to score some myself while up in western MI. Hoping to get at least 2 four packs.

Reactions: ovaltine

Spotted Cow is one of those beers that craft brewers make to entice non craft beer drinkers to try it out. Most breweries have one of those always available.

It's fine and I drink it when up at my in laws in Wisc, as that's what they have in the fridge. But I don't bring any home.

Spotted Cow is a great lawnmower beer, i.e., you mow your lawn in July for 90 minutes, you're pouring sweat, you want to hydrate with alcohol - Spotted Cow (or Old Style or Grain Belt) to the rescue.

As Phish said, NG's fruit beers are world-class. Moon Man is really good, too, and Scream is excellent. They also do some REALLY limited edition stuff that is pretty cool (Belgians, etc.). But their "base" offering isn't staggeringly good.

I've tried Ghost Face Killah. It was TERRIBLE. So damn spicy. Not enjoyable at all.

That Founders Mango Magnifco is spicy IMO. I thought it sucked balls.
Agreed on Ghost Face, but I'm glad I tried it.

I'm shocked you thought Mango Magnifico was that spicy and bad though. I opened a bottle just before the Ghost Face and split it with a few friends. Most are not beer Nerds, and most aren't chilie heads by any means. Universally everyone thought MM was delicious. It's a little sweet for me and not spicy enough, but I enjoy it. I picked up another that I'll have eventually.

Gonna be a Funky Buddha night tonight!

Ready for the game, even though Crean will likely ruin my evening!

IMG_0951.jpg

Any of you nerds on Untapped? I am friends with Phish on Untapped, and am always amazed by the amount and variety of beers the guy consumes. Impressive. It'd be interesting to see what everyone else is drinking.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT