ADVERTISEMENT

Beer and Wine Sales

I don't drink & I'm...trying to see the positives in this. I've forgotten what they are, but I vaguely recall that this is needed from a competitive point of view...in some way.

Could help keep people in the stands. How many people decide they need another beer and go out at halftime but then somehow never make it back in?

I also have been in business for 25+ years. I agree on most of your consistency presence, a lot was out of whack, however, a lot of $ was spent that should have been 101 level application to begin with. Revised logo was not optimal and in many reproductions applications falls short. Probably better for another thread. Will buy you beer this fall at game. Lol
Have to disagree, that logo works really well across the board. I think they nailed it And logo design is not as easy as those who haven't done it think it is and make it out to be. It's worth paying for.
I'll take you up on that beer! Hopefully they'll have BBC on tap!
My main issue with the logo is the weight, especially when set up against other school logos in same proportion. Just doesn’t have the presence in comparison to other logos. Vertical lengthening/thinning the I added to that discrepancy. Certainly could have been worse though. 3D did need to go.

My main issue with the logo is the weight, especially when set up against other school logos in same proportion. Just doesn’t have the presence in comparison to other logos. Vertical lengthening/thinning the I added to that discrepancy. Certainly could have been worse though. 3D did need to go.
That's why you hire a consulting firm with expertise in branding and creating logos. They didn't just pull it out of their asses. They tested it and made sure it was the right one.
BTW, it's not just the athletics logo, it's official University branding. Considering the scope of it's usage, what they paid that consulting firm is peanuts.

That's why you hire a consulting firm with expertise in branding and creating logos. They didn't just pull it out of their asses. They tested it and made sure it was the right one.
BTW, it's not just the athletics logo, it's official University branding. Considering the scope of it's usage, what they paid that consulting firm is peanuts.
Just saying, look next time big ten network has logo next to UM or OSU, PU, etc. in the same size, that’s where you will see it. Not here to argue benefits of hiring firm, they should, just saying logo falls short there.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Could help keep people in the stands. How many people decide they need another beer and go out at halftime but then somehow never make it back in?
Why would you want them to come back in? I just don't understand why alcohol is necessary to enjoy a college football game, nor do I see how it is appropriate in this day & age. Bizaare contradictions in our society, at times.

There’s probably moneyed interests in play here.
Fred: Hello, Budweiser? We're thinking of implementing alcohol sales at fooball games. What do you think?

Budweiser: Hmmm, let me think about it. (short pause) Yes, we think it's a great idea. Invoice to follow.

Actually, I would bet some of the 'consultants' were lawyers who were examining all the liability issues. Fred never does anything without considering the legal actions, which he should.

It was during McNeely's time as AD, and was the one thing he did that I was fully on board with. As someone who worked for years in Marketing, graphic design and branding, I thought then and still believe that initiative was very much needed. Each team, department, etc. where doing whatever they wanted with colors, logo, etc. It was all over the map. Now they have a unified branding guide with official, approved colors and logo. I always thought the hullabaloo over a non-Hoosier firm and the fee was overblown. Mountains made of molehills. There are all sorts of services rendered by various vendors and goods purchased from manufacturers that are not Indiana-based (when they could be potentially) that no one even knows about much less complains about. The end result was an improved, single, universally-recognized logo over the outdated "3D" look logo they had before, which works much better on signage, branded items, etc., and a return to the Cream & Crimson official IU colors and an enforced consistency on logo and colors which makes a more professional presentation overall than the hodge-podge we had before.
You think our colors now are actually Cream and Crimson???

Just saying, look next time big ten network has logo next to UM or OSU, PU, etc. in the same size, that’s where you will see it. Not here to argue benefits of hiring firm, they should, just saying logo falls short there.
In your opinion. The purpose of hiring a firm is to make sure you get it right. If the logo didn't test well, the multi-billion dollar University wouldn't have adopted it and plastered it on literally everything. You have every right to your opinion but it doesn't line up with what experts in branding and creating logos determined.

I'm probably the only one here that will disagree with the other people posting on here.

But.... My family and I won't attend another sporting event at IU if there is Beer or Wine sales at the event.

The Bloomington Campus has an alcohol problem.... and this just promotes it.

There are too many sexual assaults in the city of Bloomington... and alcohol can be attributed to many of them.

It's time for the leadership of the University to take accountability for some of these problems,
and to work on cleaning it up on campus.
I would argue that allowing sales in the stadium where it can be regulated, monitored, and policed is the University exactly taking accountability for it. There's far too much of the massive drunkfest partyting going on in the parking lots and that certainly needs to be cleaned up but one of the first steps in that process is giving people a better alternative. You can't just go in with the hoses full blast and expect good results.

In your opinion. The purpose of hiring a firm is to make sure you get it right. If the logo didn't test well, the multi-billion dollar University wouldn't have adopted it and plastered it on literally everything. You have every right to your opinion but it doesn't line up with what experts in branding and creating logos determined.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.si.../28/IUB_athletics_brandguide_TO_PRESS_8_2.pdf

Start at page 31 if you want to see how they spell everything out.

I read the article and maybe I missed it but any idea how this will work?
I assume it will be at a separate stand/rent inside the stadium?
Hopefully they will have enough locations so you are not standing in line for 30 minutes.

I read the article and maybe I missed it but any idea how this will work?
I assume it will be at a separate stand/rent inside the stadium?
Hopefully they will have enough locations so you are not standing in line for 30 minutes.
I would think it has to be separate. We use church and other non-profit groups to run the regular concessions stands. No way they have or would be willing to get a liquor license.

Yep. I use the logo all the time and I have to check branding guidelines to make sure I'm using it appropriately. Sometimes I have to send things over to Marketing for approval. There's a lot of expertise and money that goes into branding.
Word.

We're a licensee as well, and a lot of time we have to get someone to make a call on some edge case. Sometimes, owing to the product itself or the mediums involved, you just have to CYA or make sure the powers-that-be are cool with what you're doing.

Then there are the complaints about the colors of the football helmets and jerseys not matching. They are technically in spec, but look different. But you're not allowed to deviate from the specs. That's a physics thing, since you're dealing with different materials with different reflectivity and absorption qualities.

I believe I stated it was just my opinion. No need to patronize. Sounds like you are too close to it to hear differing opinions. In the case of weight vs same sized logos from other universities, let your own eyes judge. Now let’s talk about the more than occasional use of the block I and how that falls within branding guidelines, too. Just kidding. Lol. Talking about beer so much more fun. Props to athletic department.

Last edited:
I believe I stated it was just my opinion. No need to patronize. Sounds like you are too close to it to hear differing opinions. In the case of weight vs same sized logos from other universities, let your own eyes judge. Now let’s talk about the more than occasional use of the block I and how that falls within branding guidelines, too. Just kidding. Lol. Talking about beer so much more fun. Props to athletic department.
No, not too close to hear other opinions, just close enough to know that our logo has been expertly designed and tested for viability. You don't like the logo and that's fine. But you are right that it's more fun to talk about beer. Smart move to start selling it.

Why would you want them to come back in? I just don't understand why alcohol is necessary to enjoy a college football game, nor do I see how it is appropriate in this day & age. Bizaare contradictions in our society, at times.

I think it makes sense for adults to be able to purchase alcoholic beverages if they so choose.

I think it makes sense for adults to be able to purchase alcoholic beverages if they so choose.

I think alcohol and sporting events go hand in hand. Whether one agrees or disagrees with that, it’s a natural fit.

It’s up to the individual whether they want to partake and can control themselves.

The Roman Colesium was serving wine at every event thousands of years ago and they had club seats for the VIPs.

Bring it back.

Alcohol is legal. Getting buzzed is legal. Fast food is legal. Cigarettes are legal. Marijuana is about to be legal.

Watching football is enjoyable. Drinking beer and watching football is enjoyable. People who commit crimes, sober or drunk, should be punished. Should we go back to prohibition? How is it not "appropriate in this day and age"?

It's not necessary and it's not required. If you don't want to drink at a sporting event, don't. But what's the problem with a responsible adult enjoying a beer or glass of wine while watching the game. This is hardly a new concept, and it seems to be managed very well at most venues.

Alcohol is legal. Getting buzzed is legal. Fast food is legal. Cigarettes are legal. Marijuana is about to be legal.

Watching football is enjoyable. Drinking beer and watching football is enjoyable. People who commit crimes, sober or drunk, should be punished. Should we go back to prohibition? How is it not "appropriate in this day and age"?
Well, 1st of all yes--if I had my way we would go back to prohibition, but that's a different story. I don;t think it even needs to be explained how it's inappropriate. It is inappropriate for an instituion of higher learning to condone alcohol consumsion on a mass scale, particularly when it promotes itself as highly prioritizing the safety of it's student body, & the community as a whole. The university also emphasises the family experience on gameday. Now that experience will include vulgarity, violence, & vomit. Ideal. But hey, if your down with all of those drawbacks, toss 'em back! Have at it!

It's not necessary and it's not required. If you don't want to drink at a sporting event, don't. But what's the problem with a responsible adult enjoying a beer or glass of wine while watching the game. This is hardly a new concept, and it seems to be managed very well at most venues.
& if the world were perfect, all adults would be responsible, wouldn't they. I'm not going to debate this issue with..anyone reallly, Y'all know very well the arguments against it. No need to pretend that we all don't know the pro's & cons of the issue.

So do I. At a bar, or restaurant., or liquor store. Not at a collegiate sporting event though.

If you want to keep everyone from being "too drunk", eliminate the tailgate. Park your car and move along. The students, for the most part, won't be buying the beer in the stadium anyway. I'm telling you, having seen it first hand at Purdue, people haven't gotten more or less intoxicated since they started selling beer in the stadium. In fact, instead of hustling out to drink 2 at halftime and a shot of something, you can now stay inside and have a beer at your leisure. I realize I can't convince you against the evils of alcohol, but I can say that I have not seen any difference in crowd behavior at collegiate events which do allow alcohol.

Well, 1st of all yes--if I had my way we would go back to prohibition, but that's a different story. I don;t think it even needs to be explained how it's inappropriate. It is inappropriate for an instituion of higher learning to condone alcohol consumsion on a mass scale, particularly when it promotes itself as highly prioritizing the safety of it's student body, & the community as a whole. The university also emphasises the family experience on gameday. Now that experience will include vulgarity, violence, & vomit. Ideal. But hey, if your down with all of those drawbacks, toss 'em back! Have at it!

I think you overestimate the impact serving beer and wine at the stadium will have on vulgarity, violence, and vomit. The trade being made: You give up people slamming alcohol right before the game and at halftime. You get people NOT doing that because they know they can buy alcohol at the game.

Reactions: 76-1 and DANC
No, not too close to hear other opinions, just close enough to know that our logo has been expertly designed and tested for viability. You don't like the logo and that's fine. But you are right that it's more fun to talk about beer. Smart move to start selling it.
I've followed IU for over 50 years. The logo doesn't matter a whit to me and I don't think it makes any more difference today than it did 50 years ago.

Reactions: i'vegotwinners
Sounds like you are just wanting to hear yourself whine honestly. I absolutely understand some of your concerns. This sounds like you have more of a problem with alcohol in general than the problem of serving it at the game. Thats a personal matter to you not everyone else. I would understand if you had to be sober before you came into the game. The experience would be drastically different at that point. Sporting events and drinking have been a thing for years at this point and it has been no different than people tailgating outside in the fields than them being able to enjoy a drink in the stadium.

I've followed IU for over 50 years. The logo doesn't matter a whit to me and I don't think it makes any more difference today than it did 50 years ago.
Not to you, maybe, but there’s a reason organizations brand and spend lots of resources creating and protecting their brand.

Universities who sell alcohol at games have reported that alcohol related problems have decreased since they started. Prohibition has been proven beyond all doubt not to work.

Sounds like you are just wanting to hear yourself whine honestly. I absolutely understand some of your concerns. This sounds like you have more of a problem with alcohol in general than the problem of serving it at the game. Thats a personal matter to you not everyone else. I would understand if you had to be sober before you came into the game. The experience would be drastically different at that point. Sporting events and drinking have been a thing for years at this point and it has been no different than people tailgating outside in the fields than them being able to enjoy a drink in the stadium.
That's it--The case cracker!! I have nothing better to do than hear myself whine! It is however a good thing that you absolutely understand some of my concerns. A strange way of understanding, but hey, to each their own! If people's only option to enjoy a drink were at the stadium, I would understand the need. I only hope the program at least makes coin off of this.

Do you take your family to a restaurant that serves alcohol?
Rarely kids, but if so, a restaurant is a far safer, smaller environment, in which thimngs are much easier to monitor.

Universities who sells alcohol at games have reported that alcohol related problems have decreased since they started. Prohibition has been proven beyond all doubt not to work.
Actually, I'm not so sure about prohibition(if I would like to see it). Cigraette's however, I absolutely think should be prohibited, in a perfect world, they truly have no benefits, & only kill & destroy lives. Alcohol at least provides a buzz, & stress relief & enjoyment to some. As far as alcohol related problems decreasin after beginning to sell at games, um...no. No significant change/increase in incidents, I could MAYBE buy, but decrease, uh uh. It's whatever though, it doesn't matter. The decision has been made, now we lie in the bed of bottle caps. Or beer cups. At the very least they could bring back those cool old beer cups they once sold.

That's it--The case cracker!! I have nothing better to do than hear myself whine! It is however a good thing that you absolutely understand some of my concerns. A strange way of understanding, but hey, to each their own! If people's only option to enjoy a drink were at the stadium, I would understand the need. I only hope the program at least makes coin off of this.
They would make money off of it. One of the reasons why many have been wanting it other than of course to be "violent and vulgar people" at the game.

Not to you, maybe, but there’s a reason organizations brand and spend lots of resources creating and protecting their brand.
IU isn't a business and it's brand, let's face it, is Basketball and maybe the Little 5.

A logo has squat to do with tradition and people's loyalty. It's nice that we have a logo, but it's the same logo we've had forever.

If you're in Marketing, I can see why this is important to you. But I'm telling you, as a consumer, a logo doesn't affect my feelings for IU one iota.

Actually, I'm not so sure about prohibition(if I would like to see it). Cigraette's however, I absolutely think should be prohibited, in a perfect world, they truly have no benefits, & only kill & destroy lives. Alcohol at least provides a buzz, & stress relief & enjoyment to some. As far as alcohol related problems decreasin after beginning to sell at games, um...no. No significant change/increase in incidents, I could MAYBE buy, but decrease, uh uh. It's whatever though, it doesn't matter. The decision has been made, now we lie in the bed of bottle caps. Or beer cups. At the very least they could bring back those cool old beer cups they once sold.
So are you saying that Universities who’ve reported decreases are lying? No one drank alcohol during Prohibition?

Sporting events are supposed to be fun. You can have fun if you drink and if you chose not to.
I'm all about choice. I believe we should have a choice and IU is now giving us one. Cool!
If I'm with my children I chose not to have one because I want to set a good example. If I'm with my college buddies I'm having more than one (they say no more than two at at time; awesome!).
I'm confident fans will make good choices. If they make bad ones then they'll be escorted out of the stadium and maybe to jail.
I applaud the beer and wine options. About time. Good Hoosiers!

Reactions: snarlcakes
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT