ADVERTISEMENT

Beer and Wine Sales

Maybe Fred could come up with a Season Ticket Holders "discount card" so all others (I'm thinking "the" o$u & pu fans specifically) would be paying at least 33% more...

Probably wouldn't generate much revenue but I just like the idea of charging them more...;):D

Reactions: Cream&Crimson
Legalize pot.....sell it at the games....get the munchies....watch your concession sales go through the roof!! Big appetite stimulator.

Then you don’t know what the consultants get paid to do. At this point you’re arguing just to continue arguing.
You don't want to admit that the entire logo redesign was a huge waste of money.

At this point, you're arguing just to defend a dysfunctional Athletic Department.

Reactions: IUgradman
You don't want to admit that the entire logo redesign was a huge waste of money.

At this point, you're arguing just to defend a dysfunctional Athletic Department.
The entire University uses the logo and colors. What they paid for it was dirt cheap and has been returned many times over. That you understand it doesn’t mean it was wrong.

I wonder if they will do away with pass-outs at the half? Agree that there better be some good local beer but I would highly doubt it.

I think they will, which sucks. The excuse will be security, but the reason is cash. It will solve zero attendance issues as people who want to leave still will.

The entire University uses the logo and colors. What they paid for it was dirt cheap and has been returned many times over. That you understand it doesn’t mean it was wrong.
Because we never had logos or colors before.

Got it.

Pro tip: The world didn't start when you were born

Because we never had logos or colors before.

Got it.

Pro tip: The world didn't start when you were born
No one said they created something that didn’t exist. If you don’t understand it, it’s OK, but don’t tell people who do understand it they’re wrong. Practically every organization on the planet engages in branding and spends money, often substantial amounts of money, creating, protecting, and updating their brands. I can’t even fathom what you think is being gained by continuing this nonsensical howling at the moon. I’m done with it.

Reactions: RBB89
still curios if the redesign of the logo has anything to do with trademark law.

is the interlock itself enforceably trademarked, since i don't believe it's image has been used exclusively by IU over time.

if not, i suppose possibly the exact defined ratios of the new "approved" one, would more easily be.

still curios if the redesign of the logo has anything to do with trademark law.

is the interlock itself enforceably trademarked, since i don't believe it's image has been used exclusively by IU over time.

if not, i suppose possibly the exact defined ratios of the new "approved" one, would more easily be.
It is enforceably trademarked. Any use by other entities has to be approved by IU. If they’re selling merchandise, they almost certainly pay royalties.

No one said they created something that didn’t exist. If you don’t understand it, it’s OK, but don’t tell people who do understand it they’re wrong. Practically every organization on the planet engages in branding and spends money, often substantial amounts of money, creating, protecting, and updating their brands. I can’t even fathom what you think is being gained by continuing this nonsensical howling at the moon. I’m done with it.
So because 'practically every organization engages in branding', that makes it right for us?

I understand branding if you're selling product. We're not and we had/have our own 'branding'. That's why IU has been around for 199 years. If you can't 'understand' that, it's not my fault.

Your arrogance of 'people who understand' is really annoying. A difference of opinion is not a lack of 'understanding'.

Your patronizing on this and other posts is really irritating.

Reactions: Flooded Timber
So because 'practically every organization engages in branding', that makes it right for us?

I understand branding if you're selling product. We're not and we had/have our own 'branding'. That's why IU has been around for 199 years. If you can't 'understand' that, it's not my fault.

Your arrogance of 'people who understand' is really annoying. A difference of opinion is not a lack of 'understanding'.

Your patronizing on this and other posts is really irritating.
This was a perfectly fine discussion until you decided to pick a fight with me. You're in over your head on this subject but would obviously rather keep digging than just admit when you're wrong.
Even ivegotwinners is attempting a real discussion on the subject and he'd probably stick me with a shiv if we ever met. You aren't even trying to do that much.
Now I'm done.

I’ve got a song suggestion for the marching band’s repertoire now that alcohol will be sold at the stadium :

This was a perfectly fine discussion until you decided to pick a fight with me. You're in over your head on this subject but would obviously rather keep digging than just admit when you're wrong.
Even ivegotwinners is attempting a real discussion on the subject and he'd probably stick me with a shiv if we ever met. You aren't even trying to do that much.
Now I'm done.
Yeah, you said you were done before.

Because I'm expressing my opinion - I do have an MBA, so I'm not the total business ignoramous you'd like to think I am - I am picking a fight?

You have a very heightened opinion of yourself, don't you?

Are you really, REALLY done now?

I’m not an attorney but I would presume that IU has an enforceable trademark on any and all versions of the interlocking IU that could be identified with the University.

Wisconsin went from a block W on their helmet,

th

th

th

to the current slanted more individualistic one,

th

th

i'll guess that was all done for trademarking purposes.

guessing you can't trademark a block W.

the current one is individualistic enough that it can be. (in fact, UW sued Wofford for using a "W" too similar to UW's).

not sure what rights IU would have to the interlock itself, as i think it has been used elsewhere by others going way back.

iirc, someone once posted here a photo of the interlock in a stone adornment on a U of Illinois building that looked like an old building.

if so, probably more of them at UI.

possibly other examples, other places, over time. (plus 3 prong pitchforks and tridents themselves)

th

th

th

th

th

th

th

to what extent that would impact IU's ability to trademark the "interlock" itself, i know not.

but the recently "redesigned" interlock is specific enough in all it's angles and spacial ratios, that i'll assume it could be.

on a side note, hard not to notice Glass's trying to push the script Indiana on helmets and elsewhere.

th

th

i'm guessing the script Indiana can be trademarked,

block letters probably tougher.

th

Last edited:

th

th

th

th

th

the current one is individualistic enough that it can be. (in fact, UW sued Wofford for using a "W" too similar to UW's).

not sure what rights IU would have to the interlock itself, as i think it has been used elsewhere by others going way back.

iirc, someone once posted here a photo of the interlock in a stone adornment on a U of Illinois building that looked like an old building.

possibly other examples, other places, over time. (plus 3 prong pitchforks and tridents themselves)

th

th

th

th

th

th

th

to what extent that would impact IU's ability to trademark the "interlock" itself, i know not.

but the recently "redesigned" interlock is specific enough in all it's angles and spacial ratios, that i'll assume it could be.

on a side note, hard not to notice Glass's trying to push the script Indiana on helmets and elsewhere.

th

th

th
I don’t know for sure if every variation of the interlocking IU is protected or not. It probably depends on whether or not a particular symbol can reasonably be associated with the University. You shouldn’t be able to make a tiny variation and claim it as your own. I guess the threat of a lawsuit stops most of that whether someone could legally do it or not. IU’s legal office certainly can answer that question with a quick phone call.
The script Indiana is most certainly registered as a trademark. There are two levels of trademarking, one exists as soon as you create a symbol identified as yours. You can also register it for more protection. The block lettering is probably protected as long it’s paired with the colors and obviously intended to represent IU. Again, I’m not an attorney but it’s a simple question to ask.

Good story to tie this all back the the original post- When Ireland became an independent nation back in the 20’s, they wanted to use the harp as their official symbol because the harp had always been a symbol for Ireland. Guinness uses the harp as their logo and had for decades so they sued the new government to stop them. They eventually compromised and let the Irish government use the harp as long as they faced it backward. So, when government goes head to head with beer, beer wins.

Reactions: 76-1 and RBB89

th

th

th

th

th

th

th

th

th

th

th

th

th

th

th

I love the script Indiana.
I’m not a big “Block I” type but it was our football helmet decal for decades.

I’m kind of more the mind of Oregon, regardless: when you never had an identity, flip the script and make your identity as an ever-changing design scheme.

Some of it is outrageous but it’s not meant to be serious all the time.

I know an Illinois grad who said that many of the alums were pissed when they got rid of Chief Illiniwek and went away from their most loved helmet logo:

illinoisminihelmet_large.jpg

Reactions: stripetology
SIAP, did not see it, but looks like we are going to test alcohol sales at football games this fall.

https://iuhoosiers.com/news/2019/4/...6HHqlVNg0Ox1vuMP9SMhE0r4wYLgXMcQDDtxfflJKPJFs
I have heard that when this goes into effect that pass outs will not be allowed/ I don't know if it is true.

I am taking a wait and see attitude. I am one that won't pay $8-$10 for a beer at a baseball game. I am fine having a couple beers at a tailgate and watching the game without a beer.

For those that don't tailgate, A beer or two inside the stadium might be appealing to them. I expect it will be popular with our visiting crowd and with our traditional fans. The people that tailgate will continue to do so. I doubt it will contribute to the drunkenness at the game. It remains to be seen if it will keep people from leaving at halftime.

the endless lobbying by some here to discontinue pass outs can only be described as beyond bizarre.

why would anyone give one hoot whether someone can go to their car and get back in?

the endless lobbying by some here to discontinue pass outs can only be described as beyond bizarre.

why would anyone give one hoot whether someone can go to their car and get back in?

I would normally agree but IU is unique in this aspect when you look at other Big Ten schools. We are maybe the only ones doing it?
For a school already trying to keep people in the stadium, I’m not sure that pass-outs help that?

You give folks the liberty to come and go and many will get out to a tailgate and decide to just stay.

You give them the ability to now buy that drink in the confines of the stadium, they may decide to stick around for the 2nd half?

Maybe it’s targeted to those fans that are 50/50 on whether they re-enter?
You take that option away, maybe more of them decide to stay inside for a little longer to watch the 2nd half?

Will be interesting to see if it backfires and folks that were normally on the fence about coming back in choose to revolt and outright leave as a sign of protest.

Could be a gamble but I think the thought process is that “we now have beer for them” and we might get more of them to stick around a bit longer.

I would normally agree but IU is unique in this aspect when you look at other Big Ten schools. We are maybe the only ones doing it?
For a school already trying to keep people in the stadium, I’m not sure that pass-outs help that?

You give folks the liberty to come and go and many will get out to a tailgate and decide to just stay.

You give them the ability to now buy that drink in the confines of the stadium, they may decide to stick around for the 2nd half?

You take that option away, maybe more of them decide to stay inside for a little longer to watch the 2nd half?

Will be interesting to see if it backfires and folks that were normally on the fence about coming back in choose to revolt and outright leave as a sign of protest.

Could be a gamble but I think the thought process is that “we now have beer for them” and we might get more of them to stick around a bit longer.

get a life. your own life.

if a captive audience is your brilliant plan, you need a new plan.

It won’t dent attendance at all. We’re practically the only ones, not only in the Big Ten, but in any major event, sporting or otherwise, still doing this. Some people may stomp their feet and hold their breath about it but you’ll only need your fingers to count the numbers of people who actually refuse to go. Beer sales will more than offset them.

No one is captive. You’re always free to leave. You just won’t be able to come back in if we end pass outs- same as any concert, movie theater, festival, or sporting event practically anywhere.

I don’t have really strong feelings about ending pass outs from a tailgating standpoint. I’ve done it many times myself but I certainly won’t complain if we end the practice. It is much safer, though, to control access rather than letting thousands of people come and go at will.

Reactions: 76-1

Yes - my plan is actually along those lines. Get them inside the gates and hold them there, maybe teach them that they are a bunch of dumb-dumbs for watching only 1/2 of the game. People think leaving at halftime and not returning is avant-garde and trend-setting. Nobody else does it and that’s why those programs have support and win and IU does not.

I can actually sympathize with that if the games were blowouts at halftime but they aren’t. Most of these games are very tight contests. If you made it all the way into the stadium, why the hell would you leave right during the final scene? It’s bizarre.

Reactions: DANC and 76-1
I don’t have really strong feelings about ending pass outs from a tailgating standpoint. I’ve done it many times myself but I certainly won’t complain if we end the practice. It is much safer, though, to control access rather than letting thousands of people come and go at will.
Smokers will be pissed. To my knowledge there is no place in the stadium you can grab one without being accosted.

Yes - my plan is actually along those lines. Get them inside the gates and hold them there, maybe teach them that they are a bunch of dumb-dumbs for watching only 1/2 of the game. People think leaving at halftime and not returning is avant-garde and trend-setting. Nobody else does it and that’s why those programs have support and win and IU does not.

I can actually sympathize with that if the games were blowouts at halftime but they aren’t. Most of these games are very tight contests. If you made it all the way into the stadium, why the hell would you leave right during the final scene? It’s bizarre.

nothing bizarre about someone leaving when they want to leave.

or wanting the option to run to their car if they need to during a 4 hr plus experience.

obsessing over when others choose to leave, or having the ability to run to their car to get something, that's bizarre.

When you go to a bar or to a restaurant that serves alcohol if you want another drink do you go out to your car or do you buy one on the premises? Perhaps a banner at the stadium or an ad in the newspaper that says there’s no need to drink in your car anymore on Saturdays!

nothing bizarre about someone leaving when they want to leave.

or wanting the option to run to their car if they need to during a 4 hr plus experience.

obsessing over when others choose to leave, or having the ability to run to their car to get something, that's bizarre.

If they do away wi th pass outs it will cost you 70 dollars to get back in. I suggest you plan accordingly and bring everything you are going to need in the next 4 hours. I have probably been to hundreds of sporting events and I don't think I ever had to leave to go get something.

If they do away wi th pass outs it will cost you 70 dollars to get back in. I suggest you plan accordingly and bring everything you are going to need in the next 4 hours. I have probably been to hundreds of sporting events and I don't think I ever had to leave to go get something.

congrats on being one of the 23 people left in MS at the end of the PSU game.

that said, what does your not wanting to go to your car have to do with someone else wanting to?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT