ADVERTISEMENT

Beer and Wine Sales

I would think it has to be separate. We use church and other non-profit groups to run the regular concessions stands. No way they have or would be willing to get a liquor license.
That makes sense,thanks.

IU isn't a business and it's brand, let's face it, is Basketball and maybe the Little 5.

A logo has squat to do with tradition and people's loyalty. It's nice that we have a logo, but it's the same logo we've had forever.

If you're in Marketing, I can see why this is important to you. But I'm telling you, as a consumer, a logo doesn't affect my feelings for IU one iota.
Again, you personally may not care but there are decades of research and billions spent every year on branding and creating brand loyalty that prove that it matters a great deal. Do you not have any IU gear? Do you wear purple T-shirts to games?

Reactions: Cream&Crimson
In my days at IU, before the days of terrorism and metal detectors, you didn’t go to a game without a flask. Easy to get in. Some of the best student sections at IU were the drunkest ones. Sporting events are meant to be safe but rowdy.

Beer tends to get emotions boiled up. Depends if you are a laid back drunk or the wife beater type. Alcohol has different effects. Now pot..... that might make the crowd join hands with opposing fans and sing “Kumbaya.”

I’m okay with both as long as you aren’t out of control. My personal opinion, of course.

Sounds like you are just wanting to hear yourself whine honestly. I absolutely understand some of your concerns. This sounds like you have more of a problem with alcohol in general than the problem of serving it at the game. Thats a personal matter to you not everyone else. I would understand if you had to be sober before you came into the game. The experience would be drastically different at that point. Sporting events and drinking have been a thing for years at this point and it has been no different than people tailgating outside in the fields than them being able to enjoy a drink in the stadium.
Difficult to have an intelligent discussion with this guy, and he doesn't seem to recognize that his position here is, um, extreme. It's only a matter of time until he resorts to sarcasm and shouting (all caps).

Reactions: Hoosiersfan2018
Again, you personally may not care but there are decades of research and billions spent every year on branding and creating brand loyalty that prove that it matters a great deal. Do you not have any IU gear? Do you wear purple T-shirts to games?
Not only do I not care, a logo makes absolutely no difference regarding the team I support, and that's true for a fan of any school.

The school colors were long established before 'branding' became a thing.

So are you saying that Universities who’ve reported decreases are lying? No one drank alcohol during Prohibition?
No, goodness no. Wouldn't dream of it. They would never lie. Contradicts everything they stand for, ESPECIALLY when it concerns revenue sports!

In my days at IU, before the days of terrorism and metal detectors, you didn’t go to a game without a flask. Easy to get in. Some of the best student sections at IU were the drunkest ones. Sporting events are meant to be safe but rowdy.
In my day you could carry in coolers. Then they decided the big coolers were creating an obstruction hazard in the stands and aisles, so they had to be small enough to fit under the seat/bench. That still worked out okay. But then came the culture change, and all coolers got banned. That meant everyone was drinking hard liquor, and that's when the behavior got out of hand. Frat boys rowdy on beer is one thing; frat boys delirious on tequila is a whole different level.

Difficult to have an intelligent discussion with this guy, and he doesn't seem to recognize that his position here is, um, extreme. It's only a matter of time until he resorts to sarcasm and shouting (all caps).
It's "extreme" to not want alcohol sold at a college football stadium? I guess I'm quite the rebel then. If you find that to be an extreme idea, then yes absolutely, it's hard to have an intelligent discussion with me. I spared you from your beloved all caps.

Last edited:
It's "extreme" to not want alcohol sold at a college football stadium? I guess I'm quite the rebel then. If you find that to be an extreme idea, then yes absolutely, it's hard to have an intelligent discussion with me. I spared you from your beloved all caps.

Your sorry argument reminds me of the great debates during the legalization of gambling boats in Indiana. Clark County voted on getting a boat. We'd have been the Louisville market. All the puritans came out of the woodwork claiming that gambling would attract organized crime, prostitutes, drugs, crime, etc... So the morons won and voted it down. 2 counties over, Harrison County was smart enough to vote it in. Today they have better roads, schools, etc... with no increase in crime. Clark County missed out on a huge opportunity to generate revenue and jobs. Glad to see that Indiana isn't Clark County and isn't listening to people like you.

You're scaring me, guy. Take a deep breath and get a grip.

I believe I stated it was just my opinion. No need to patronize. Sounds like you are too close to it to hear differing opinions. In the case of weight vs same sized logos from other universities, let your own eyes judge. Now let’s talk about the more than occasional use of the block I and how that falls within branding guidelines, too. Just kidding. Lol. Talking about beer so much more fun. Props to athletic department.
No, not too close to hear other opinions, just close enough to know that our logo has been expertly designed and tested for viability. You don't like the logo and that's fine. But you are right that it's more fun to talk about beer. Smart move to start selling it.
Can’t resist.... I’m not sure where you got I didn’t like logo at all? Even said good 3D one gone. I just stated a weakness with it and i remember at the time thinking the l extension under the U seemed more of a putting their justification stamp on it so to speak, then useful. Don’t care how much research/testing they did. It has a couple relatively minor issues but certainly better than hodgepodge. I am a huge guideline stickler/proponent. It’s reason I don’t like block I. It’s no longer the logo. Was smart move getting all sports under one umbrella and was long overdue at the time. For the record though, will drink beer out of any IU logo variation.

Last edited:
Your sorry argument reminds me of the great debates during the legalization of gambling boats in Indiana. Clark County voted on getting a boat. We'd have been the Louisville market. All the puritans came out of the woodwork claiming that gambling would attract organized crime, prostitutes, drugs, crime, etc... So the morons won and voted it down. 2 counties over, Harrison County was smart enough to vote it in. Today they have better roads, schools, etc... with no increase in crime. Clark County missed out on a huge opportunity to generate revenue and jobs. Glad to see that Indiana isn't Clark County and isn't listening to people like you.
Your post reminds me of my ex wife.

Ha, then I can see why she left you. I can only imagine how much more fun she's having now.
Ha! I left her. She was a violent drunk with a gambling problem, & is now...who the hell knows where, or cares. & that's no B.S.

Not only do I not care, a logo makes absolutely no difference regarding the team I support, and that's true for a fan of any school.

The school colors were long established before 'branding' became a thing.
No, I suppose not but that’s not what the discussion is about.
And the school colors are absolutely a part of the brand. If it weren’t so, they wouldn’t have chosen school colors.

Can’t resist.... I’m not sure where you got I didn’t like logo at all? Even said good 3D one gone. I just stated a weakness with it and i remember at the time thinking the l extension under the U seemed more of a putting their justification stamp on it so to speak, then useful. Don’t care how much research/testing they did. It has a couple relatively minor issues but certainly better than hodgepodge. I am a huge guideline stickler/proponent. It’s reason I don’t like block I. It’s no longer the logo. Was smart move getting all sports under one umbrella and was long overdue at the time. For the record though, will drink beer out of any IU logo variation.
Everything you’ve said about up until this post it indicates that you don’t like the logo or the process for arriving at said logo.

Everything you’ve said about up until this post it indicates that you don’t like the logo or the process for arriving at said logo.
No I said it had weaknesses and I did disagree with the path but certainly is process. Beef was it was unnecessarily a CA firm with zero institutional/regional connection. But I can see how you thought that. Personally, I liked the Knight b-ball shorts with curved U. We should just start a logo thread, at least be 2 of us there. Ha

I think the main thing is next fall I'm going to be sitting in Memorial Stadium with an ice cold beer in my hand hoping for a bowl bound team. And people who hate alcohol will not be there.

Win Win

IU isn't a business and it's brand, let's face it, is Basketball and maybe the Little 5.

A logo has squat to do with tradition and people's loyalty. It's nice that we have a logo, but it's the same logo we've had forever.

If you're in Marketing, I can see why this is important to you. But I'm telling you, as a consumer, a logo doesn't affect my feelings for IU one iota.
And I'm telling you that professionals in branding know for a fact that the design of a logo does affect feelings toward it's associated brand. This has been proven over and over again. And no I'm not going to pull a link for you because it's common knowledge.

And I'm telling you that professionals in branding know for a fact that the design of a logo does affect feelings toward it's associated brand. This has been proven over and over again. And no I'm not going to pull a link for you because it's common knowledge.
Well, I'm telling you for a fact I couldn't care less what the logo looks like. I've been looking at the IU logo for over 50 years and it doesn't affect me one way or the other.

You know where you can put your link.

Well, I'm telling you for a fact I couldn't care less what the logo looks like. I've been looking at the IU logo for over 50 years and it doesn't affect me one way or the other.

Oh ok, you're special. Noted.

Man.....this thread has it all! Heated debates about logos AND alcohol, not to mention the tale of a drunken ex-wife and possible photos in a two-piece?

This is better than Jerry Springer!

source.gif

giphy.gif

No I said it had weaknesses and I did disagree with the path but certainly is process. Beef was it was unnecessarily a CA firm with zero institutional/regional connection. But I can see how you thought that. Personally, I liked the Knight b-ball shorts with curved U. We should just start a logo thread, at least be 2 of us there. Ha
I actually really liked the curved logo as well. When I heard we we going to have a unified logo, I really hoped we would stick with that.

Reactions: stripetology

But you know that when you see it, it means Indiana University and that's the point.

Man.....this thread has it all! Heated debates about logos AND alcohol, not to mention the tale of a drunken ex-wife and possible photos in a two-piece?

This is better than Jerry Springer!

source.gif

giphy.gif
Nothing wrong with a little bare knuckle discussion from time to time. It's the offseason...what else do we have to do?

I would think it has to be separate. We use church and other non-profit groups to run the regular concessions stands. No way they have or would be willing to get a liquor license.
It's actually not a big deal. Individuals from these groups can do a brief training session (three hours or so) and become licensed to vend. The venues typically sponsor the training.

When my daughter was younger and in a competition dance group, the parent booster organization frequently worked concession sales at Lucas, Banker's Life, and IMS. My wife did the training in one evening iirc and was then licensed to vend beer and wine from the concession stands in those places.

That was 10-12 years ago so things might have changed but I'm inclined to think those rules still apply. Some of the groups (church groups perhaps) might not be interested in selling alcohol but my guess is that beer sales will be limited to select locations in the stadium.

Reactions: 76-1
It's actually not a big deal. Individuals from these groups can do a brief training session (three hours or so) and become licensed to vend. The venues typically sponsor the training.

When my daughter was younger and in a competition dance group, the parent booster organization frequently worked concession sales at Lucas, Banker's Life, and IMS. My wife did the training in one evening iirc and was then licensed to vend beer and wine from the concession stands in those places.

That was 10-12 years ago so things might have changed but I'm inclined to think those rules still apply. Some of the groups (church groups perhaps) might not be interested in selling alcohol but my guess is that beer sales will be limited to select locations in the stadium.
Interesting to note. My guess is also that since we'd have to install infrastructure (taps, keg coolers, etc.), we won't go that route. It's pretty simple to set up separate stands or carts that sell beer by the can or plastic bottle.

One thing that should provide solace to those unsure about the wisdom of serving alcohol: Those who do decide to partake to excess will spend much of their time in the bathroom; while having to pass the ushers on the way to and from...

This (drinking at the game) is pretty much a self limiting exercise. :rolleyes:

Personally, I've completely done a 180 on how I feel about it.

Based on the data from other schools, and the reality of what's going on in the tailgate areas anyway I think it's the right move at the right time. If we have drunken riots at multiple home games I reserve the right to flip a hundred eighty degrees again... ;)

One thing that should provide solace to those unsure about the wisdom of serving alcohol: Those who do decide to partake to excess will spend much of their time in the bathroom; while having to pass the ushers on the way to and from...

This (drinking at the game) is pretty much a self limiting exercise. :rolleyes:

Personally, I've completely done a 180 on how I feel about it.

Based on the data from other schools, and the reality of what's going on in the tailgate areas anyway I think it's the right move at the right time. If we have drunken riots at multiple home games I reserve the right to flip a hundred eighty degrees again... ;)

From what I read on the board most likely area of concern will be the lines to use the urinals.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT