ADVERTISEMENT

Bates

He's a streaky guy. 8 games ago he was getting 5 ppg. Been on a tear since. Which guy is he really? Going 10-10 from 3 against Arkansas St, Ark Pine Bluff and Seton Hall doesn't make him a great shooter but it sure makes those stats look good.
Seems to me like he's a guy who has maybe/finally become more comfortable and confident in playing at the college level. He wasn't that guy when he was here, for a variety of reasons.

Think I might've left out that 247th stat if I was trying to make his case as a great shooter.
You know there are 360 some odd teams right? You also realize that stat is dominated by big guys that don't shoot much? That is a great 2 point % for someone that isn't a big man and takes a lot of actual shots instead of layups.

I think I might not chime in on things I don't know anything about :).

Think I might've left out that 247th stat if I was trying to make his case as a great shooter.

Over 60% on 2s is darn good for a 6'5" guy, especially one who is primarily a stop and pop guy who's not that adept at driving and/or finishing at the rim. IF the #s cited are for all D1 teams it would be approx. the top 10% of all D1 starters.

Maybe saying it this way could help your brain. The only person in the B1G with a better shooting percentage from two under 6-6 is the flame thrower from Wisky, Max Klesmit at 60.9%. Oh and he has a taken half the amount Tamar has.... 46 to Tamars 98.

Seems to me like he's a guy who has maybe/finally become more comfortable and confident in playing at the college level. He wasn't that guy when he was here, for a variety of reasons.

Here are some really odd #s about him.

In the last 8 games, he's had 67 2 pt attempts. That includes 17 in the most recent Florida game. His previous high was 8; however, in the 7 games just prior to Florida he attempted between 6-8 2s each game. All those games except one were SEC or BT opponents.

In the 8 games prior to his last 8, he attempted a total of 24 2s.

Which seems to indicate he's developing into a more-rounded player.

Glad he's gone. We don't need any more divisiveness in the world. We need guys who will play for a coach no matter what his color.

@kraft cheese+macaroni

Please don’t stop talking shit once you are proven totally wrong :).

129.5 Offensive rating. Worlds better than anyone on our team.

He will play in the NBA, and I will be right on the one prediction I was chastised on for being dead wrong.
You need to stop with this. You were so wrong on Tamar it was laughable. He won't make the NBA. But hey, keep saying you were right enough and maybe some idiots will believe you.

Reactions: Emartin70287
You need to stop with this. You were so wrong on Tamar it was laughable. He won't make the NBA. But hey, keep saying you were right enough and maybe some idiots will believe you.

Im not saying I am right, yet. But will sure call you an idiot when he does make it. He just scored 36 points and is an elite shooter, I would let it play out before you say I was so wrong...

No one is right or wrong on Tamar yet.

If he continues to shoot the ball well, he'll establish himself as a "plus" shooter in NBA GMs eyes. They're looking for really tall 3 and D guys right now, more than anything. So his size will probably hinder him, no matter how elite of a shooter he makes himself in their eyes. But if he shows he can adequately defend, handle the ball, distribute...AND is an upper end shooter...he'll probably get some looks at some point.

I don't follow Mizzou, so I don't know if the offense they run is completely different to IUs, or not? But assuming it is, and assuming it is much more conducive to guards getting good shots in rhythm...the stark difference in his play at IU, and then his play at Mizzou...might actually hurt him in some GM's eyes.

JHS stock rose like it did, I'm guessing, because he was consistently impactful and productive in an offense that did little to nothing to help him produce. He proved he's a guy that can manufacture points and plays on his own. Tamar didn't prove that, at IU. And he might not be proving that now at Mizzou either?

Regardless of all this...I wish no ill will towards Bates...hope he continues his great play. If nothing else, it'll be a glaring example of a guy Woody "missed" on because of the style of play he chose, and has now double and tripled down on.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
Im not saying I am right, yet. But will sure call you an idiot when he does make it. He just scored 36 points and is an elite shooter, I would let it play out before you say I was so wrong...
You were wrong on so many things regarding Bates. Now if Bates makes the NBA you will claim you were right? So, you say 10 things on Bates get 1 right and you gloat? Dumb. And odds are you will be wrong on all 10.

No one is right or wrong on Tamar yet.

If he continues to shoot the ball well, he'll establish himself as a "plus" shooter in NBA GMs eyes. They're looking for really tall 3 and D guys right now, more than anything. So his size will probably hinder him, no matter how elite of a shooter he makes himself in their eyes. But if he shows he can adequately defend, handle the ball, distribute...AND is an upper end shooter...he'll probably get some looks at some point.

I don't follow Mizzou, so I don't know if the offense they run is completely different to IUs, or not? But assuming it is, and assuming it is much more conducive to guards getting good shots in rhythm...the stark difference in his play at IU, and then his play at Mizzou...might actually hurt him in some GM's eyes.

JHS stock rose like it did, I'm guessing, because he was consistently impactful and productive in an offense that did little to nothing to help him produce. He proved he's a guy that can manufacture points and plays on his own. Tamar didn't prove that, at IU. And he might not be proving that now at Mizzou either?

Regardless of all this...I wish no ill will towards Bates...hope he continues his great play. If nothing else, it'll be a glaring example of a guy Woody "missed" on because of the style of play he chose, and has now double and tripled down on.
"No one is right or wrong on Tamar yet." Dumb

Cav stated Bates would win freshman of the year in the BIG which didn't happen and he's not wrong? Interesting

Cav was spectacularly wrong over and over with his takes on what Bates would be and when.

Now he's going to gloat if somehow Tamar makes it to the NBA, which is unlikely by the way. It's ridiculous.

Cav stated Bates would win freshman of the year in the BIG which didn't happen and he's not wrong? Interesting

Cav was spectacularly wrong over and over with his takes on what Bates would be and when.

Now he's going to gloat if somehow Tamar makes it to the NBA, which is unlikely by the way. It's ridiculous.
I was assuming this discussion was about Tamar playing in the NBA. There have been plenty of specifics on that, and I have no clue who said what. But "Tamar playing in the NBA" seems as good a measuring stick as any.

And since he's still playing in college...no one is right or wrong on that.

Reactions: whosyourholydaddy
I was assuming this discussion was about Tamar playing in the NBA. There have been plenty of specifics on that, and I have no clue who said what. But "Tamar playing in the NBA" seems as good a measuring stick as any.

And since he's still playing in college...no one is right or wrong on that.
Yeah, and you assumed wrong.

What else was I wrong on other than him being freshmen of the year in the big ten? Please go on.

I’ve talked about his potential since after the Bahamas. Which was the only time I stated that.

So again, go on, what else was I wrong about?

What else was I wrong on other than him being freshmen of the year in the big ten? Please go on.

I’ve talked about his potential since after the Bahamas. Which was the only time I stated that.

So again, go on, what else was I wrong about?
One and done. Basically, everything you stated regarding Bates was wrong.

You certainly did. You're an emotional guy. You get over enthusiastic and make crazy predictions, you probably don't really believe, then you claim you never said them. At least that's what's happening here.
No I said he would get drafted after his sophomore or jr year, that might be wrong.

Mainly said he would be better than Romeo in the nba. For sure never said one and done. Nice try though.

No I said he would get drafted after his sophomore or jr year, that might be wrong.

Mainly said he would be better than Romeo in the nba. For sure never said one and done. Nice try though.

[IMG alt="Cavanagh"]https://rivals-cdn.s3.amazonaws.com/forums/indiana/data/avatars/m/47/47959.jpg?1635944951[/IMG]

Cavanagh

All-American​

Was it you who said that Tamar was a possible one and done or 2 and done?
Yup. Not aging very well as of now.

Reactions:.Gerdis and bsmitty08

Reactions: Ty Webb iu
Tamar dropped 30 again last night. Mizzu is awful but he has become the go to option on offense. Putting the ball on the floor and creating at a level we never saw. Has improved a ton. He dunked on 2 guys while driving, even seems more athletic. We miss him dearly.

Tamar dropped 30 again last night. Mizzu is awful but he has become the go to option on offense. Putting the ball on the floor and creating at a level we never saw. Has improved a ton. He dunked on 2 guys while driving, even seems more athletic. We miss him dearly.
Yep

Woody and staff should have been able to get much more production out of him. Not good.
I don't know. I don't see how his new coaches have really had him long enough for that kind of change. He had this in him all along, I think it was bad timing here with having a pregnant GF and then a kid and being newly away from home. Glad for his sake to see that things for him seem to be back on track.

We miss the Mizzou version of Bates. We probably also miss the IU version of Bates too, but not nearly as much as Mizzou Bates.

I kinda doubt we'd have ever seen Mizzou Bates, at IU, with Woody as the coach though...

I don't know. I don't see how his new coaches have really had him long enough for that kind of change. He had this in him all along, I think it was bad timing here with having a pregnant GF and then a kid and being newly away from home. Glad for his sake to see that things for him seem to be back on track.
I haven't really watched them...so this is pure conjecture...but assuming it is different than IU's...and is more of a movement, flow, create open spaces, etc... type offensive system...that would have an ENORMOUS impact on Tamar's ability to play to his strengths. And it wouldn't take very long for that impact to take effect.

It is almost inconcievable he's turned it around so quickly and significantly. Those shooting percentages alone should be a serious wake-up call for Woody and crew. It's totally nitpicky, but his Assist to TO ratio still isn't what you'd want in a starting guard. My guess is next year that'll end up being about 2 or 3 to 1. Good for Tamar!

STATS
2023-24
2022-23
2021-22

GPMINFG%3P%FT%REBASTBLKSTLPFTOPTS

Do you not remember him going like 0-17 in the B10 & NCAA tournament? I have followed him all year. This was by far, not the norm. His team is 0-5 in conference. He must not be helping them win. Geronimo has not done much either.
0-8 in conf actually.
Can’t help but consider the Mizzou offense generates more good looks than ours.

0-8 in conf actually.
Can’t help but consider the Mizzou offense generates more good looks than ours.
That 13.5 ppg for them prolly translates to about 7-8 for IU. Slow progression at IU. At Missouri, where he is a top 2 go to guy, he is doing his thing. I wish it were his Missouri #s at IU. IU's guard depth wouldnt have been an issue if this was the case.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT