ADVERTISEMENT

Bad reporting

BradStevens

All-Big Ten
Silver Member
Sep 7, 2023
So we now have had two questionable stories out there, one involving Hamas, the other involving Israel.

First, the baby beheadings report looks to be untrue.

Surely, the evidence--pics, eye witness testimony, etc. would be out there by now. If it were real, Israel would be justified in doing just about anything. And it looks like Biden might have lied or misremembered or misspoke when he said he saw a picture or video of decapitated children.

Second, the report of the IDF's bombing of a hospital and killing 500 was also clearly fabricated.

It's concerning that both were reported by the various major media outlets without proper vetting. Everyone makes mistakes, of course, but in this situation, I feel like these kinds of mistakes could lead to more deaths on one side or the other as people become enraged by the latest outrageous reported action. Maybe the news agencies need to slow down a bit? Get more editors and skeptical eyes looking at a story?

So we now have had two questionable stories out there, one involving Hamas, the other involving Israel.

Surely, the evidence--pics, eye witness testimony, etc. would be out there by now. If it were real, Israel would be justified in doing just about anything. And it looks like Biden might have lied or misremembered or misspoke when he said he saw a picture or video of decapitated children.

Second, the report of the IDF's bombing of a hospital and killing 500 was also clearly fabricated.

It's concerning that both were reported by the various major media outlets without proper vetting. Everyone makes mistakes, of course, but in this situation, I feel like these kinds of mistakes could lead to more deaths on one side or the other as people become enraged by the latest outrageous reported action. Maybe the news agencies need to slow down a bit? Get more editors and skeptical eyes looking at a story?
To be fair to the media, I flipped between FNC, MSNBC, CNN, BBC, and NN, and none of them were pushing the Israel-bombed-a-hospital story. Several of them reported that Hamas made the claim "but we can't verify that," just as several reported that IDF made the claim that Islamic Jihad did it. None of them reported that any of it was true. The closest any of them came to blatant disregard for journalistic standards was FNC, which early on went with speculation that Hamas was at fault (i.e., before IDF ever made any claims to evidence that it was a misfired rocket), and even they were open about the fact that they were only speculating.

Reactions: UncleMark

I swear I watched 20/20 and one of the guys l/soldiers they interviewed saw the beheaded babies

Reactions: vesuvius13
I swear I watched 20/20 and one of the guys l/soldiers they interviewed saw the beheaded babies
If you can find evidence out there, I'd be glad to read it. I google the issue every day and am shocked that this isn't a front and center story.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
If you can find evidence out there, I'd be glad to read it. I google the issue every day and am shocked that this isn't a front and center story.
I mean, on the other hand, officials did confirm that infants were among the victims. I'm not sure whether or not they were beheaded is really most important issue.

I mean, on the other hand, officials did confirm that infants were among the victims. I'm not sure whether or not they were beheaded is really most important issue.
No doubt children and infants were murdered by Hamas. No doubt. And that is monstrous.

But a report that as many as 40 were beheaded made its way throughout many media outlets. It's all anyone was talking about for a day or two. Now, poof, no verification of that report. That's dangerous stuff, there.

PS: I just looked up the story re the 40, and one of the first links was to Why Evolution is True. Ha! I'm starting to think too much like Coyne, it appears (although he wrongly thinks it doesn't matter if the babies were beheaded):

Not evidence. Remember all those signed affidavits and sworn testimony from hundreds of poll workers who said they were overruled and forced to count Biden ballots where the signature clearly didn't match was not even close to evidence.

Reactions: DANC
To be fair to the media, I flipped between FNC, MSNBC, CNN, BBC, and NN, and none of them were pushing the Israel-bombed-a-hospital story. Several of them reported that Hamas made the claim "but we can't verify that," just as several reported that IDF made the claim that Islamic Jihad did it. None of them reported that any of it was true. The closest any of them came to blatant disregard for journalistic standards was FNC, which early on went with speculation that Hamas was at fault (i.e., before IDF ever made any claims to evidence that it was a misfired rocket), and even they were open about the fact that they were only speculating.
So your flippant reporting is that nobody was pushing it but automatically fox was wrong, for being correct, because they were going on assumptions based on your best knowledge of all of those others that were not honestly covering it.

Username checks out......... for this type of reporting.

Reactions: DANC and stollcpa
No doubt children and infants were murdered by Hamas. No doubt. And that is monstrous.

But a report that as many as 40 were beheaded made its way throughout many media outlets. It's all anyone was talking about for a day or two. Now, poof, no verification of that report. That's dangerous stuff, there.

PS: I just looked up the story re the 40, and one of the first links was to Why Evolution is True. Ha! I'm starting to think too much like Coyne, it appears (although he wrongly thinks it doesn't matter if the babies were beheaded):

I read somewhere it was closer to 6 million..

Fascinating the amount of people that want to debate the baby beheadings. Were babies beheaded? Or were they just burned alive? How many were beheaded? 40? only a few? None?

If none were actually beheaded is Hamas absolved for their actions that day?

I heard Gen Petraeus on the other day and he spoke of the bombing. He said in the military it is a truism that the first reports are always wrong, and the first reports on the bombing blamed Israel. I would think that applies to the beheadings.

The first report thing is important, we see it in domestic stories. Once people hear something, it sets in. In the Islamic world, anything anti-Israel is going to harden immediately. I heard a couple of experts saying that they were convinced our "allies" were telling us they completely believed Israeli evidence, but their people didn't and would never believe them if they tried to support Israel. So there was no way any Islamic leader was going to come out and accept Israel's explanation. It wouldn't work and could get them killed.

I suspect Russia and China is having a lot of fun. Israel needs to wrap this up soon or they (and us) will be facing a lot of countries called "Iran" as our allies will be dragged one way or another into opposing us by the masses (who hate their elites as much as some of us do).

Reactions: BradStevens
Fascinating the amount of people that want to debate the baby beheadings. Were babies beheaded? Or were they just burned alive? How many were beheaded? 40? only a few? None?

If none were actually beheaded is Hamas absolved for their actions that day?
How many people want to "debate" this?

Who on this board has even hinted that if the reports of infant beheadings proves untrue, Hamas is "absolved for their actions that day?" Anyone arguing that is outside the bounds of a decent society and should be shunned.

I think there are many reasons why Israel would not release the images. Yes, Biden lied when he said he saw them. But that’s Biden. IIRC, Blinken said Bibi showed him the pictures.

A baby shot in the head with an Ak-47 or some other similar rifle could look like a "beheading" to a degree. My guess is that is what this was.

I have also seen video of them poking out the eyes of a clearly dead Israeli so I wouldn't put anything past them. I hope that any of the people involved that Israel doesn't kill outright get the treatment the Black Sunday folks got after Munich. May they never know a day without looking over their shoulder.

Reactions: DANC
I think there are many reasons why Israel would not release the images. Yes, Biden lied when he said he saw them. But that’s Biden. IIRC, Blinken said Bibi showed him the pictures.
They might not release the images, but they would surely invite in a bunch of independents--journalists, Arab neutrals, UN advisors--to view the bodies and evidence. They would then certainly get that verification out into the media, everywhere. Just as they rushed to get the info out on the hospital bombing.

The media war, here, is almost as important as the ground war. If Israel loses backing from the US, it is doomed.

IUCRAZY: I agree, that could be it. But we need to know and need explanations. Without it, the other side has more ammunition to accuse Israel of lying about baby beheadings and so why not everything else (that's the Hamas/anti-Israeli line, not mine).

Reactions: Marvin the Martian
They might not release the images, but they would surely invite in a bunch of independents--journalists, Arab neutrals, UN advisors--to view the bodies and evidence. They would then certainly get that verification out into the media, everywhere. Just as they rushed to get the info out on the hospital bombing.

The media war, here, is almost as important as the ground war. If Israel loses backing from the US, it is doomed.

IUCRAZY: I agree, that could be it. But we need to know and need explanations. Without it, the other side has more ammunition to accuse Israel of lying about baby beheadings and so why not everything else (that's the Hamas/anti-Israeli line, not mine).
A large part of the mainstream reporting includes the IDF specifically not confirming it.

From there is depends on where you're getting your news from. Are you getting it from actual reporters or pundits? Those are two very different roles and two very different styles of journalism.

Fox News seemed to run with it more, according to what was linked in your Intercepter article, and one of the Reps linked in the article quote tweeted a Jerusalem Post report from October 13 that babies were beheaded.

Not evidence. Remember all those signed affidavits and sworn testimony from hundreds of poll workers who said they were overruled and forced to count Biden ballots where the signature clearly didn't match was not even close to evidence.
No one remembers that there was sworn testimony and signed affidavits from hundreds of poll workers saying that because it's false. Link something credible to support your posts. Get over it, Trump lost the 2020 election.

Israel just showed the a movie of what they saw to the journalist denying the babies beheaded. Israel is not lying about the horrors of Hamas. There may be stories out there today about it.

Last edited:
He said in the military it is a truism that the first reports are always wrong, and the first reports on the bombing blamed Israel. I would think that applies to the beheadings.
Of course, everyone wants to be the first reporting something and it doesn't matter if it's not true.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT