ADVERTISEMENT

B1G West's best, Iowa, is terrible

No, but we aren’t the ones who think we’d be way better than we are, if only. If I was just rating programs in terms of future outlook based on present condition .. I’d rank of this way without Purdue in it:

13. Rutgers
12. Indiana
11. Illinois
10. Maryland
9. Northwestern
8. Nebraska
7. Minnesota
6. Michigan state
5. Iowa
4. Wisconsin
3. Penn state
2. Michigan
1. Ohio state

Right now, after this year, we probably bump Maryland down. If we have a really good five years maybe we could make a run up to Minnesota. Odds are we won’t string together five good years. If any Purdue fan told me we could go higher than 7, I’d ask then if Jeff brohm is gonna turn into spurrier and magically never leave Purdue.

so now that I’ve made that clear it’s correlation vs causation until you start beating the big ten west
Once again, that isn't the point. The point is any Big Ten program, including IU, would have better odds of beating any other 4 teams in the West than they do against UM, OSU, PSU, and Sparty and that UM, OSU, and PSU are, by far, the best programs in the Big Ten.

I don't know how things would turn out if IU was in the West: never said I did. I just like the odds.

Reactions: IUgradman and td75
Historically, PU would have about a 13% chance of beating PSU. I don't think there was any guarantee PU would take "a step" this year or that they have taken "a step," and I have no idea what type of year PU will have next season. PU had a nice year: I don't know if you can take much more away from that. I could say there is an asterisk since PU plays in the West, and 3 W's could be swapped out for L's.
I had Purdue at 6-7 wins this past year. I have them at 8-9 next year.. Why can you say Purdue would lose to PSU though? I'll assume they lose to UM.

A 13% W-L record against PSU, 24% W-L record against UM, and a 27% W-L record against OSU sure aren't winning, correct? .500 against any of those programs would be an enormous "step up" for any other BT program, which is the point.

You aren't a fan boy? If the shoe fits, lol
Wait when did I claim Purdue could play .500 ball again at the east? I’m claiming that you complaining about the divisions is stupid because you can’t play .500 ball against the west. To which you replied “well If it’s and buts we’d almost be .500 if you pretended we aren’t who we actually ARE this year.” To which I asked “and what do you think almost .500 against the west gets you? A cookie?” Now you’re pretending I claimed that either IU or Purdue would be .500 against the East’s best programs.

this year is part of who you are .. you sound like a Nebraska fan “if Adrian wasn’t stupid we’d clown Purdue” at which point I had to explain to them that he plays stupid and That if he played like desean Watson at Clemson he wouldn’t have gone to Nebraska.

I can’t tell you what we would be like if we hired a Jeff brohm right after joe tiller because danny hope and Darrell hazells existence is part of who we ARE

I had Purdue at 6-7 wins this past year. I have them at 8-9 next year.. Why can you say Purdue would lose to PSU though? I'll assume they lose to UM.
You lose at least your best two players next year, O'Connell is a 5th year. Does PU take a step back next year?

Because PU's historical W-L% against PSU is 13%: I'll believe a PU win against PSU when I see it.

Wait when did I claim Purdue could play .500 ball again at the east? I’m claiming that you complaining about the divisions is stupid because you can’t play .500 ball against the west. To which you replied “well If it’s and buts we’d almost be .500 if you pretended we aren’t who we actually ARE this year.” To which I asked “and what do you think almost .500 against the west gets you? A cookie?” Now you’re pretending I claimed that either IU or Purdue would be .500 against the East’s best programs.

this year is part of who you are .. you sound like a Nebraska fan “if Adrian wasn’t stupid we’d clown Purdue” at which point I had to explain to them that he plays stupid and That if he played like desean Watson at Clemson he wouldn’t have gone to Nebraska.

I can’t tell you what we would be like if we hired a Jeff brohm right after joe tiller because danny hope and Darrell hazells existence is part of who we ARE
Once again, that isn't the point. The point is any Big Ten program, including IU, would have better odds of beating any other 4 teams in the West than they do against UM, OSU, PSU, and Sparty and that UM, OSU, and PSU are, by far, the best programs in the Big Ten.

I don't know how things would turn out if IU was in the West: never said I did. I just like the odds.

Reactions: IUgradman
You lose at least your best two players next year, O'Connell is a 5th year. Does PU take a step back next year?

Because PU's historical W-L% against PSU is 13%: I'll believe a PU win against PSU when I see it.
I have O'Connell coming back. George will be a big loss. They can overcome Bell going pro. Loaded at WR.

So basically, you don't care about what the teams are today, you just care about historical record? By that logic, will iu ever win a big ten game again?

Everything you said is true .. even that you like the odds .. I never disputed any of it. Do you know what a demurrer is?

everything you said is true. It just doesn’t mean anything till you start beating teams in the west.

your argument means a lot!!!

If you were a Michigan state fan … get it? They should be pissed.. you should beat Iowa before you talk … or even do better than me and my dad would against Iowa

Everything you said is true .. even that you like the odds .. I never disputed any of it. Do you know what a demurrer is?

everything you said is true. It just doesn’t mean anything till you start beating teams in the west.

your argument means a lot!!!

If you were a Michigan state fan … get it? They should be pissed.. you should beat Iowa before you talk … or even do better than me and my dad would against Iowa
This is a message board. Of course, I don't know how things would play out if IU was in the West. I just like the odds. If IU plays the way they played the prior two years, I think they would be very competitive against West teams.

I have O'Connell coming back. George will be a big loss. They can overcome Bell going pro. Loaded at WR.

So basically, you don't care about what the teams are today, you just care about historical record? By that logic, will iu ever win a big ten game again?
It doesn't sound like O'Connell has made up his mind yet. A new QB would be a big question mark. I think Bell is a bigger loss than you think.

As Bill Parcells said, you are what your record says you are, and a 13-27% W-L percentage isn't good. In general, PSU, OSU, and UM are just better and normally have better players and more resources.

If IU plays the way they played the prior two seasons, then yes, they should win Big Ten games. If PU plays the way they played the prior two seasons, they probably won't win a whole lot of Big Ten games.

Reactions: baileyiu
This conversation was originally about the Big Ten West being dog doo-doo. It turns out that their 0-8 record in the championship game supports this claim.

They've never even won the championship game, not one fvcking time!!! A shake-up is badly needed; there is ZERO balance.

This is a message board. Of course, I don't know how things would play out if IU was in the West. I just like the odds. If IU plays the way they played the prior two years, I think they would be very competitive against West teams.
Do you think I or Purdue fans like the way the big ten does things ?

It doesn't sound like O'Connell has made up his mind yet. A new QB would be a big question mark. I think Bell is a bigger loss than you think.

As Bill Parcells said, you are what your record says you are, and a 13-27% W-L percentage isn't good. In general, PSU, OSU, and UM are just better and normally have better players and more resources.

If IU plays the way they played the prior two seasons, then yes, they should win Big Ten games. If PU plays the way they played the prior two seasons, they probably won't win a whole lot of Big Ten games.
But what happened 20 years ago doesn't matter. That's what you seem to struggle with.

And I agree, Bell is a loss, but WR's galore. Goof WR's. Milton Wright will step up.

I don't know, I'm not a mind reader. I'm guessing not. However, I think you got the better end of the stick being in the West: I'd be happy about that.
The conference did the Purdue's and Iowa's of the world a huge favor by forming these oddball divisions. Those schools can now scratch out an 8+ win season instead of a 6-6 campaign. If they stumble into the title game a la Iowa last night, it's annihilation city.

But what happened 20 years ago doesn't matter. That's what you seem to struggle with.

And I agree, Bell is a loss, but WR's galore. Goof WR's. Milton Wright will step up.
Do you think PU is at the same level as PSU, OSU, UM? How about even MSU over the past 20 years? Has PU's recruiting kept pace with these programs?

Who is throwing the ball next year for PU? Any OL losses? Who else is leaving?

Last edited:
Do you think PU is at the same level as PSU, OSU, UM? How about even MSU over the past 20 years? Has PU's recruiting kept pace with these programs?

Who is throwing the ball next year for PU? Any OL losses? Who else is leaving?
The last two years, Purdue has been on par with psu and msu. Not UM and OSU. Idc about 20 years ago. It doesn't matter.

O'Connell, whose rumored to likely come back, and Plummer entering the portal probably agrees with that. If not, run out one of the 4 star guys. Offensively, Purdue sounds like is going to lose 1 to 2 OLman and Bell and Horvath. Which, Bell is probably the only loss that really hurts, but it comes at a position with 5-6 4 star guys and some good looking youth.

Defensively, George is a big loss, but you bring most everyone else back. Add a couple transfers hopefully for depth and the sum of the parts should be greater than the loss of George.

• Haha
Reactions: brianiu
The last two years, Purdue has been on par with psu and msu. Not UM and OSU. Idc about 20 years ago. It doesn't matter.

O'Connell, whose rumored to likely come back, and Plummer entering the portal probably agrees with that. If not, run out one of the 4 star guys. Offensively, Purdue sounds like is going to lose 1 to 2 OLman and Bell and Horvath. Which, Bell is probably the only loss that really hurts, but it comes at a position with 5-6 4 star guys and some good looking youth.

Defensively, George is a big loss, but you bring most everyone else back. Add a couple transfers hopefully for depth and the sum of the parts should be greater than the loss of George.
That may be the most fan boy thing I've ever read. PU could definitely trade a win for a loss to UM this year. I wish you had the chance to play PSU and find out: bold statement. I promise you Penn St. is recruiting better than PU.

Last edited:
I don't know, I'm not a mind reader. I'm guessing not. However, I think you got the better end of the stick being in the West: I'd be happy about that.
This is true .. BUT if you us or Rutgers hire a coordinator as good as deboer and keep them.. we could do well in either division.

That may be the most fan boy thing I've ever read. PU could definitely trade a win for a loss to UM this year. I wish you had the chance to play PSU and find out: bold statement. I promise you Penn St. is recruiting better than PU.
Psu lost to Illinois and Iowa. Purdue beat both. Psu lost to msu. Purdue also beat msu. Psu has one more win than Purdue the last two years. Idc about recruiting. Coaching matters just as much. Brohm would coach circles around Franklin. Franklin is carried by highly rated players.

Psu lost to Illinois and Iowa. Purdue beat both. Psu lost to msu. Purdue also beat msu. Psu has one more win than Purdue the last two years. Idc about recruiting. Coaching matters just as much. Brohm would coach circles around Franklin. Franklin is carried by highly rated players.
Brohm's recruiting is getting worse and worse every year, PSU's talent is only getting better, the gaps not close and it will be proven in the opener next year.

Lot of talk about the west from the worst program in big ten history….
Big ten history? Dude this take is just laughable, there have been so many 1 win and winless teams in the big ten in the 100+ years it's been in existence, if you no life Purdue trolls are going to come onto our threads at least make coherent arguments.

Big ten history? Dude this take is just laughable, there have been so many 1 win and winless teams in the big ten in the 100+ years it's been in existence, if you no life Purdue trolls are going to come onto our threads at least make coherent arguments.
You guys talked a lot of shit about the west and got your ass handed by every team on the west…….look at your record against every program in the big ten. Stop riding Ohio states coat tails….

• Haha
Reactions: brianiu
Brohm's recruiting is getting worse and worse every year, PSU's talent is only getting better, the gaps not close and it will be proven in the opener next year.
72, 25, 32, 76, currently 36. Outside or Rondales class, there seems to be a norm and a one off. Not sure it's really getting worse. Especially with the current staff.

72, 25, 32, 76, currently 36. Outside or Rondales class, there seems to be a norm and a one off. Not sure it's really getting worse. Especially with the current staff.
No, it's definitely gotten worse over the last two seasons, the raw rankings don't take into account the difference in class size. PU just has a larger recruiting class of guys committed right now. 2021 speaks for itself and this year they are 13th in the big ten in average recruiting ranking according to 247 and 58th nationally on rivals. This is back to back, not just bad but terrible recruiting classes from a talent perspective, especially considering PU had two big wins and went 8-4 this past season. I have respect for Brohm as a coach, but the bottom line is he can't get it done on the trail, maybe he changes things in 2023, he does already have a 4 star QB committed, but I have a hard time believing it given his last two classes.

Reactions: limestonecowboy
The East is far better than the West. It isn’t even close. 8-0 in championship games with five of those being decided by double digits and three by over twenty points. The top four programs in the East have been much better than the top four in the West since the divisions were created.

You guys talked a lot of shit about the west and got your ass handed by every team on the west…….look at your record against every program in the big ten. Stop riding Ohio states coat tails….
lol 4 troll posts

The East is far better than the West. It isn’t even close. 8-0 in championship games with five of those being decided by double digits and three by over twenty points. The top four programs in the East have been much better than the top four in the West since the divisions were created.
Absolutely everyone understands this...even when they fight it based on wanting to buoy their own program.

The east isn't better top to bottom though. Which you are implying.
You're so dumb and miss the obvious. With the exception of Wisconsin (not so much this year), Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan, and Michigan State are better than every team in the B10 West as it plays out in the long run. Nobody is suggesting than Indiana would win the West if they were to be moved, but they stand much more than a punchers chance playing the top 4 teams in the West every year than they do playing the top 4 teams in the East. The talent disparity between the top 4 in the East and then everybody in the west is staggering.

As far as the Iowa-Michigan game goes, I saw better QB play from the Dr. Pepper Tuition Giveaway participants than I did Iowa.

You're so dumb and miss the obvious. With the exception of Wisconsin (not so much this year), Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan, and Michigan State are better than every team in the B10 West as it plays out in the long run. Nobody is suggesting than Indiana would win the West if they were to be moved, but they stand much more than a punchers chance playing the top 4 teams in the West every year than they do playing the top 4 teams in the East. The talent disparity between the top 4 in the East and then everybody in the west is staggering.
It hasn't played out that way the past two years.

Really it has only been last year, PU had the amazing break of catching an overhyped MSU team at home off their biggest game of the year. MSU wasn't even there emotionally for the first two quarters. Even with that game, UM, OSU, and MSU all still have better records than Iowa, Minnesota, and Wisco, which is even more impressive considering they all had to play one another. Take out the covid year, the East has been far superior to the west, especially at the top, even during the Covid year the east still had the best team in the conference.

Last edited:

Figure I’ll throw my hand in that hat since everyone else has, still don’t think you’ll get it though. Since realignment in 2013, here are top 4 teams by division.

East
1. Ohio St
2. Penn St
3. Michigan
4. Michigan St

West
1. Wisconsin
2. Iowa
3. Minnesota
4. Northwestern

Flop Ohio State and Wisconsin and the East is still significantly tougher at the top by a wide margin. Not the hard to grasp but then again with you I’m not holding my breath.

Really it has only been last year, PU had the amazing break of catching an overhyped MSU team at home off their biggest game of the year. MSU wasn't even there emotionally for the first two quarters. Even with that game, UM, OSU, and MSU all still have better records than Iowa, Minnesota, and Wisco, which is even more impressive considering they all had to play one another. Take out the covid year, the East has been far superior to the west, especially at the top, even during the Covid year the east still had the best team in the conference.
Uh... Purdue outplayed msu. Msu's toughest 3 games were Purdue, osu, and um. The were demolished in two of them. Msu is just lucky Purdue couldn't finish a couple more drives. I had Purdue winning that game going in and never wavered. They couldn't stop Purdue. Msu did a good job of beating up bad teams and um.

But a 77-70 record vs the west says otherwise about how dominant it is. Osu is the reason the east is dominant. No one else has sustained the success they have.

OMG this thread is silly. Of course the division’s are unbalanced. It could be fixed simply by swapping Ohio St or Mich out for one of the traditionally bad teams.

The argument that they are balanced is dumb. The argument that the 4 best teams are in the east is dumb. The argument that the East has won all the championships is proof is dumb.

Ohio St is way (WAY) ahead of everyone else in the Big. That fact alone makes the east tougher. Throw in the fact that Michigan under Harbaugh is the second best program makes it look real bad right now. In fairness to those that set up the divisions, Michigan was very average when they put them together.

the argument could be made that Wisconsin and Iowa are as good or better than Penn St and Mich St year in and year out. Everyone else fluctuates between slightly above average to bad.

And as to all the championships arguement…. Of course it’s horribly lopsided. Ohio St has won 5 of 8. So whichever division they are in is going to crush in Big Ten championships. The 3 Big Ten championships that Ohio St did not play in had 2/3 very close games.

Now can we move on?

Uh... Purdue outplayed msu. Msu's toughest 3 games were Purdue, osu, and um. The were demolished in two of them. Msu is just lucky Purdue couldn't finish a couple more drives. I had Purdue winning that game going in and never wavered. They couldn't stop Purdue. Msu did a good job of beating up bad teams and um.

But a 77-70 record vs the west says otherwise about how dominant it is. Osu is the reason the east is dominant. No one else has sustained the success they have.
Pick the 4 best teams in the West and tell me their H2H record since realignment against UM, PSU, and MSU?

2 of the best teams. I think we had a legitimate claim to #2 last year.

Demolished, is such an over exaggeration, MSU earned those stops far more than Purdue earned the takeaways that really ended up being the difference in the game. You're too delusional to argue with, the B1G West is not even close to the B1G East, every single west division winner would not have even made the conference championship if they were in the traded spots with Rutgers, Maryland, IU, or MSU.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT