ADVERTISEMENT

B1G standings and stats as of 3/28/22...

ptrich

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 2, 2001
Here is the link to the B1G standings. I used the standings at D1Baseball since as usual the standings at the bigten.org have not been updated to reflect the overall records although they do have the correct conference records for the eight teams that opened the B1G this past weekend. Purdue won the first game of their series at home with OSU, 7-5, but the other two games were canceled, and I assume it had to be weather related. Like IU, OSU has been struggling to win games early on in the season.

In the three major categories in the B1G, IU is 6th in team hitting, 13th (last) in team ERA, and 4th in fielding. Surprisingly, IU is not last in hitting batters in the conference with that honor going to Minnesota with 41 hit batters, while IU is next to last at 38 hit batters. IU has given up the most BBs in the conference and it's not even close. IU is also last in earned runs given up. Of course, you could make an argument that the SOS plays a big part in those numbers. Individually, Ellis leads the B1G in homers with 11 and RBIs with 33, while Doanes leads in walks with 24. Colopy is tied for the lead in strikeouts with 31 with two other Hoosiers in the top 10 in that category in Pyne and Mathison. Whalen is 2nd in stolen bases and he appeared to hurt his hamstring yesterday and had to leave the game, and we don't know how serious it is yet. Here is the link to the B1G stats with all of the categories.

Added note: We still don't know just how good Purdue (19-1) is although they did win the 1st game of their series at home with OSU with the other two games canceled. They have the worst SOS of the teams in major conferences in the B1G, ACC, SEC, Pac-12 and Big 12, and I'm guessing that was probably by design as they have almost completely overhauled their roster during the off-season bringing in a bunch of transfers. Of their 9 everyday starters to include the DH, 7 are transfers from either other D-1 schools or the JUCO ranks, and that includes our Toetz. Two of their weekend starters are their original recruits with the other starter coming out of the JUCO ranks. Their top reliever in Landon Weins, a JUCO transfer with an ERA of 0.79 in over 20 IP that leads the B1G.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT