ADVERTISEMENT

B10 all time team per school

Saw a thread on another forum basically looking for the best 5 players from each school all-time and who would win a hypothetical tournament. My personal opinion

PG-Isiah Thomas
SG-Steve Alford
SF-Calbert Cheaney
PF-George McGinnis
C- Walt Bellamy

Nobody is touching that team in my opinion. I think IU's second team would beat almost any school's first team and I'm still leaving off great college players

2nd team
PG-Quinn Buckner
SG-Mike Woodson
SF-Scott May
PF-Alan Henderson
C- Kent Benson

Tough to leave all-timers off like Schlundt, Dees, Wit, Edwards, Guyton,
Schlundt has to be first team; Dees and Bill Garrett have to be 2nd team.

I'm grading on impact at the time, not guys side by side, because 2010 ball players are better than those from the '50s.

Reactions: kkott
Off the top of my head, MSU probably only team that might compete? But that’s mainly just because of Magic. Big Dog at Purdue was a badass. Not sure they could fill in a ton around him though? Is he considered the best Boiler ever by them?

IU would probably be 15-20 deep for guys that could be in the discussion. Most schools only have a few.
Off the top of my head Purdue could put out Wooden, Robinson, Schellhase, Mount, and Terry Dischinger

Reactions: Bill4411 and kkott
Off the top of my head Purdue could put out Wooden, Robinson, Schellhase, Mount, and Terry Dischinger
OSU Lucas, Kellogg, Jim Jackson, Havlicek, Gary Bradds. If you need true guards, Kelvin Ramsey & Dennis Hobson....but they've had a ton of really good players.

Schlundt has to be first team; Dees and Bill Garrett have to be 2nd team. I'm grading on impact at the time, not guys side by side, because 2010 ball players are better than those from the '50s.
I don't remember Schlundt or Dees so hard for me to put them in there. There's definitely a case to be made for Schlundt. Walt Bellamy is the first IU basketball player of which I have recollection and he was awesome. Bill Garrett's accomplishments go far beyond the basketball court which should be a recognition in of itself, but I don't think he's one of the 10 or 15 best basketball players at Indiana.

I beli
I don't remember Schlundt or Dees so hard for me to put them in there. There's definitely a case to be made for Schlundt. Walt Bellamy is the first IU basketball player of which I have recollection and he was awesome. Bill Garrett's accomplishments go far beyond the basketball court which should be a recognition in of itself, but I don't think he's one of the 10 or 15 best basketball players at Indiana.
Mr Basketball in HS. At the time he was IU's all-time scoring and rebounding leader. As recall led IU in both scoring & rebounding at least 3 years (?). Also broke the BT record for scoring in a single season. The '51 IU team was 19-3 and ranked #7 in the country. The rest of the team were nt names you'd recognize. Imo, definitely a top 10 sll-time player at IU.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
I beli

Mr Basketball in HS. At the time he was IU's all-time scoring and rebounding leader. As recall led IU in both scoring & rebounding at least 3 years (?). Also broke the BT record for scoring in a single season. The '51 IU team was 19-3 and ranked #7 in the country. The rest of the team were nt names you'd recognize. Imo, definitely a top 10 sll-time player at IU.
We'll agree to disagree. I don't think he's a top 5 IU player pre-Knight era.

That 76 team was full of stars but they just played so unselfishly and together as a team. Not a very deep team but they didn't need to be. But May was the unquestioned star on that team. Hell 4/5 starters were all drafted in the first round and Abernathy was drafted high as well.
Yes they were the truest definition of TEAM.

I do not know PU history. Bob Griese lettered in football, basketball, and baseball. Would he be in there?
I might have misspelled the name but the QB for the dolphins of the 1972 unbeaten team.

Who else: Herm Gilliam maybe? So that would give you: John Wooden/Schellhase, Rick Mount, Herm Gilliam, Glenn Robinson, and JBC? I think many would disagree, but I think I'd go Schellhase over Wooden, just because of the difference in time. Game had to be very different when JW was playing... no AA's as the most obvious.
You mention Herm Gilliam without mentioning Billy Keller?

Blasphemy.

Reactions: Bill4411 and kkott
You mention Herm Gilliam without mentioning Billy Keller?

Blasphemy.
Only mentioned Gilliam based off comments from PU fans as that was a bit before my time, although I do remember Keller playing towards the end of his career with the Pacers. If I'm going small, white Boiler guards for $200, I'm taking Jerry Sichting!

Reactions: Sope Creek
My dad listened to the game where Rayl and Pavy both went off for a combined 100 points (in a 32 min game!). Guarantee if you mentioned Rayl around him he'll tell you the story.
I was at the fame. I graduated from KHS in 1964. I saw all of Rayl's high school games and most of his IU games. Phenomenal shooter.

Reactions: larsIU and kkott
Yeah IU has about 10-15 guys who I really don't think you could go wrong with either way while trying to assemble a team like this. Alford is the best shooter I've seen to don an Indiana uniform so couldn't leave him out of my starting 5.
Jimmy Rayl was a better shooter than Alford.

Mychal Thompson and Kevin McHale were on the same team at Minny. Throw Bobby Jackson and Voshon Lenard in there, and it would be a tough team to beat.

Wow that is crazy to think about. 71 was my graduating year and do remember Southport having a very good track program back then. Gary Roosevelt had some guys that could fly too.

Carmel girls swim team is just like the above scenario. Ton of girls that would be #1 swimmers on just about any other high school team in the state that only see limited varsity time.
Don’t think the Velt did cross country, but they could fly.

I like Bellamy over Benson, but it was very hard not to have Scott May on the first team for IU. But, I also can't see Calbert not being on there. I barely remember 76 so Calbert was more in my wheelhouse and probably why I defer to him. Someone a little older may be a better judge!
Scott May probably with the single greatest IU season. National Player of the Year, B1G MVP, Undefeated National Champion, Olympic Gold Medal, 1976
IU with the NBA back to back 1st round draft Choices Scott May 1976, Kent Benson 1977
Top 2 IU players: Isiah, Scott May
Jay Edwards & Eric Gordon what greatness could have been achieved with a 4 year IU career?

Last edited:
Michigan would have a really strong roster..

Webber
Glen Rice
Rose
Burke
Howard

Tarpley
Levert
Rudy T
Cazzie Russell
Jamal Crawford

That squad would give people fits.

Ennnhhhh . . . IMO Alford was a product of an offensive system created to maximize his one strength - catch and shoot. I don't think he brings much else.

McGlocklin can bring catch and shoot skills, as can the VanArsdales. I didn't see Dees play . . . .
Alford was a lot more than catch and shoot. But also, since this is a hypothetical all time team, then I would have Knight coach it, and Alford would probably score 28 a game with Zeke and Cheaney around him.

Ken Norman, Kenny Battle, Deon Thomas, Dee Brown, Kiwane Garris
Good list. Don't think that team is beating IU's #1 or 2 teams. Surprised how far down their career scoring list Kendall Gill and Nick Anderson are. Don't see Anderson in their top 25, but I remember him as a potent scorer. Eddie Johnson would have to be up there too.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
Always wondered why he washed out in the NBA, literally never did anything.

One of my favorite people of all time. He was a heavy user of alcohol to say the least, that was the reason unfortunately. Loved him as a coach, he always had Indiana boys on his team, and all of us were Hoosier fans. Alot of back and forth during Boiler/Hoosier week.

That’s hard believe..
He definitely had deeper range. Not sure I would say he was better from the current 3 point line. He also had a much longer leash--Rayl would take and make from way beyond anything Alford would consider. Give me Alford at 20 feet coming off a pick though.

Reactions: ulrey
Alford was a lot more than catch and shoot. But also, since this is a hypothetical all time team, then I would have Knight coach it, and Alford would probably score 28 a game with Zeke and Cheaney around him.
Hmmm . . . I'll take your word for it. I only remember him from his senior year, when he'd catch the ball at the top of the key coming off a screen and shooting. He was deadly in that scheme. But I don't remember him doing much else.

Now I know he was a wizard with the ball in high school . . . .

Scott May probably with the single greatest IU season. National Player of the Year, B1G MVP, Undefeated National Champion, Olympic Gold Medal, 1976
IU with the NBA back to back 1st round draft Choices Scott May 1976, Kent Benson 1977
Top 2 IU players: Isiah, Scott May
Jay Edwards & Eric Gordon what greatness could have been achieved with a 4 year IU career?
Landon Turner?

He had perhaps the greatest half-season of any IU player . . . and without him, I don't think IU wins in '81.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT