ADVERTISEMENT

B10 all time team per school

Coach Geez

All-Big Ten
Dec 23, 2019
Saw a thread on another forum basically looking for the best 5 players from each school all-time and who would win a hypothetical tournament. My personal opinion

PG-Isiah Thomas
SG-Steve Alford
SF-Calbert Cheaney
PF-George McGinnis
C- Walt Bellamy

Nobody is touching that team in my opinion. I think IU's second team would beat almost any school's first team and I'm still leaving off great college players

2nd team
PG-Quinn Buckner
SG-Mike Woodson
SF-Scott May
PF-Alan Henderson
C- Kent Benson

Tough to leave all-timers off like Schlundt, Dees, Wit, Edwards, Guyton,

Reactions: ulrey
Saw a thread on another forum basically looking for the best 5 players from each school all-time and who would win a hypothetical tournament. My personal opinion

PG-Isiah Thomas
SG-Steve Alford
SF-Calbert Cheaney
PF-George McGinnis
C- Walt Bellamy

Nobody is touching that team in my opinion. I think IU's second team would beat almost any school's first team and I'm still leaving off great college players

2nd team
PG-Quinn Buckner
SG-Mike Woodson
SF-Scott May
PF-Alan Henderson
C- Kent Benson

Off the top of my head, MSU probably only team that might compete? But that’s mainly just because of Magic. Big Dog at Purdue was a badass. Not sure they could fill in a ton around him though? Is he considered the best Boiler ever by them?

IU would probably be 15-20 deep for guys that could be in the discussion. Most schools only have a few.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion

PG-Isiah Thomas
SG-Steve Alford
SF-Calbert Cheaney
PF-George McGinnis
C- Walt Bellamy

2nd team
PG-Quinn Buckner
SG-Mike Woodson
SF-Scott May
PF-Alan Henderson
C- Kent Benson

Downing... what he did his last year without McGinnis

Off the top of my head, MSU probably only team that might compete? But that’s mainly just because of Magic. Big Dog at Purdue was a badass. Not sure they could fill in a ton around him though? Is he considered the best Boiler ever by them?

IU would probably be 15-20 deep for guys that could be in the discussion. Most schools only have a few.
OSU has some talent

Jerry Lucas
Havlicek
Jim Jackson
Evan Turner
Oden

Big Dog probably the best Boiler most have seen. If you're old enough, Rick Mount was amazing. Big Dog and Mount are lock players. I'd have to assume Wooden and Joe Barry Carroll make the list as well. Probably several others you could choose from to fill the 5th spot.

MSU you'd have Magic, Cleaves, and Skiles as locks although that's 3 dominant ball handlers right there. Draymond, Steve Smith, Shawn Respert, and Morris Peterson next best on the list.

PG-Isiah Thomas
SG-Steve Alford
SF-Calbert Cheaney
PF-George McGinnis
C- Walt Bellamy

2nd team
PG-Quinn Buckner
SG-Mike Woodson
SF-Scott May
PF-Alan Henderson
C- Kent Benson

Where does Yogi stand? All time asst leader, correct?

PG-Isiah Thomas
SG-Steve Alford
SF-Calbert Cheaney
PF-George McGinnis
C- Walt Bellamy

2nd team
PG-Quinn Buckner
SG-Mike Woodson
SF-Scott May
PF-Alan Henderson
C- Kent Benson

Tough . . . that's a really good effort . . . although I might substitute Jon McGlocklin or one of the VanArsdale twins for Alford. Maybe Dees.

Can't leave Alford off a list like this.

Ennnhhhh . . . IMO Alford was a product of an offensive system created to maximize his one strength - catch and shoot. I don't think he brings much else.

McGlocklin can bring catch and shoot skills, as can the VanArsdales. I didn't see Dees play . . . .

Ennnhhhh . . . IMO Alford was a product of an offensive system created to maximize his one strength - catch and shoot. I don't think he brings much else.

McGlocklin can bring catch and shoot skills, as can the VanArsdales. I didn't see Dees play . . . .
Imagine Alford's shooting and scoring capabilities with teams trying to guard Isiah and Cheaney? And trying to handle McGinnis?

Imagine Alford's shooting and scoring capabilities with teams trying to guard Isiah and Cheaney? And trying to handle McGinnis?
He'd have to have the right scheme to take advantage of what he offers. Would that happen with Isiah and Mac?

I was trying to think of someone who could thrive in an all-star game environment. You know, free-lancing . . . .

Dont forget my college coach for the Boilers. Dave Schellhause, dude average over 30 and 13 his senior year. Stud

Reactions: kkott

Maybe, but what a shooter he was! I'll give you a few others: leadership, work ethic and competitiveness. Dated a woman who's brother coached in college and was actually a GA on that '87 team and kept in touch with Steve in their coaching careers. Now, I know you'd probably say "yeah, but almost everyone at that level is competitive" and I'd agree. But, he said SA was the most competitive person he'd ever been around. Thought he was a better golfer than Steve for instance, but said he rarely beat him straight up. I think maybe more than anyone, for me and many in my generation, he is Indiana basketball.

Dont forget my college coach for the Boilers. Dave Schellhause, dude average over 30 and 13 his senior year. Stud
Who else: Herm Gilliam maybe? So that would give you: John Wooden/Schellhase, Rick Mount, Herm Gilliam, Glenn Robinson, and JBC? I think many would disagree, but I think I'd go Schellhase over Wooden, just because of the difference in time. Game had to be very different when JW was playing... no AA's as the most obvious.

PG-Isiah Thomas
F Scott May
SF-Calbert Cheaney / SG Steve Alford
PF-George McGinnis
C- Kent Benson / Walt Bellamy

Last edited:
Who else: Herm Gilliam maybe? So that would give you: John Wooden/Schellhase, Rick Mount, Herm Gilliam, Glenn Robinson, and JBC? I think many would disagree, but I think I'd go Schellhase over Wooden, just because of the difference in time. Game had to be very different when JW was playing... no AA's as the most obvious.
weren't they still shooting into wooden peach baskets back then? And jump ball after every made basket.

TIC...somewhat.

btw...Joe Barely Cares

Reactions: Boris442 and kkott
weren't they still shooting into wooden peach baskets back then? And jump ball after every made basket.

TIC...somewhat.

btw...Joe Barely Cares
Have to think someone from the Painter era makes it? I think E'Twaun Moore is the best all-around player Painter has had but I'd almost have to take Hummel. One of the few Purdue players you could actually pull for.

ave to think someone from the Painter era makes it? I think E'Twaun Moore is the best all-around player Painter has had but I'd almost have to take Hummel. One of the few Purdue players you could actually pull for.
Liked Hummel better, but I'd almost take Brian Cardinal over him. As easy as he was to dislike (and Hummel to like) I loved how he played.

Besides, if you're going by missing a player from an era, what about the TNT era? Troy Lewis, Todd Mitchell, Mel McCants and Everette Stephens? I always thought that team was better than the Baby Boilers group anyway!

Last edited:
Michigan would be good also
webber
Howard
Rice
Rose
Cazzie russell
Rudy tomjonovich
Trey burke

PG-Isiah Thomas
SG-Steve Alford
SF-Calbert Cheaney
PF-George McGinnis
C- Walt Bellamy

2nd team
PG-Quinn Buckner
SG-Mike Woodson
SF-Scott May
PF-Alan Henderson
C- Kent Benson

Sope already added McGlocklin and the Vans. Jimmy Rayl should be in the mix.

that's the one I though

Liked Hummel better, but I'd almost take Brian Cardinal over him. As easy as he was to dislike (and Hummel to like) I loved how he played.

Besides, if you're going by missing a player from an era, what about the TNT era? Troy Lewis, Todd Mitchell, Mel McCants and Everette Stephens? I always thought that team was better than the Baby Boilers group anyway!
Troy Lewis is in that discussion. Forgot about him.

Troy Lewis is in that discussion. Forgot about him.
and if I were going Matt Painter era, I'd be hard pressed to put anyone over Carsen Edwards! Primarily off 1 season and mostly 1 tournament run in all honesty, but damn he willed them to some wins.

PG-Isiah Thomas
SG-Steve Alford
SF-Calbert Cheaney
PF-George McGinnis
C- Walt Bellamy

2nd team
PG-Quinn Buckner
SG-Mike Woodson
SF-Scott May
PF-Alan Henderson
C- Kent Benson

Since it's not limited to what they did specifically at IU, but just talent, I'd replace Alford with Eric Gordon.

Flame away.

Reactions: JIMSHAM
Jimmy Rayl should be in the mix.
My dad listened to the game where Rayl and Pavy both went off for a combined 100 points (in a 32 min game!). Guarantee if you mentioned Rayl around him he'll tell you the story.

PG-Isiah Thomas
SF-Calbert Cheaney
SF-Scott May
PF-George McGinnis
C- Kent Benson
I like Bellamy over Benson, but it was very hard not to have Scott May on the first team for IU. But, I also can't see Calbert not being on there. I barely remember 76 so Calbert was more in my wheelhouse and probably why I defer to him. Someone a little older may be a better judge!

PG-Isiah Thomas
SG-Steve Alford
SF-Calbert Cheaney
PF-George McGinnis
C- Walt Bellamy

2nd team
PG-Quinn Buckner
SG-Mike Woodson
SF-Scott May
PF-Alan Henderson
C- Kent Benson

I'd swap Woodson for Alford in a nanosecond for my 5

I like Bellamy over Benson, but it was very hard not to have Scott May on the first team for IU. But, I also can't see Calbert not being on there. I barely remember 76 so Calbert was more in my wheelhouse and probably why I defer to him. Someone a little older may be a better judge!
That 76 team was full of stars but they just played so unselfishly and together as a team. Not a very deep team but they didn't need to be. But May was the unquestioned star on that team. Hell 4/5 starters were all drafted in the first round and Abernathy was drafted high as well.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
I'd swap Woodson for Alford in a nanosecond for my 5
Yeah IU has about 10-15 guys who I really don't think you could go wrong with either way while trying to assemble a team like this. Alford is the best shooter I've seen to don an Indiana uniform so couldn't leave him out of my starting 5.

TNT group was better...but man oh man was the B1G loaded during that era. Should have been a F4 team in 88....then they ran into Mitch Richmond.

That 76 team was full of stars but they just played so unselfishly and together as a team. Not a very deep team but they didn't need to be. But May was the unquestioned star on that team. Hell 4/5 starters were all drafted in the first round and Abernathy was drafted high as well.
Yeah, that team always reminded me of a team my Coach, the late Tom Hathaway, used to talk about at Southport High... think it was his 1971 team. But they won state that year, I believe with a record low total until like 81 or 82 when I think Bloomington South or North beat it, but I think he told us that no runner ever won two races in a row and he had like 10 different kids (actually 12 is sticking in my head, but that seems too crazy) win a varsity race that year. Only 7 get to run varsity once you get to the playoffs, so can you imagine that you won a varsity race during the year and didn't make the final varsity squad to run in Sectionals - State meets?

Yeah, that team always reminded me of a team my Coach, the late Tom Hathaway, used to talk about at Southport High... think it was his 1971 team. But they won state that year, I believe with a record low total until like 81 or 82 when I think Bloomington South or North beat it, but I think he told us that no runner ever one two races in a row and he had like 10 different kids (actually 12 is sticking in my head, but that seems to crazy) win a varsity race that year. Only 7 get to run varsity once you get to the playoffs, so can you imagine that you won a varsity race during the year and didn't make the final varsity squad to run in Sectionals - State meets?
Wow that is crazy to think about. 71 was my graduating year and do remember Southport having a very good track program back then. Gary Roosevelt had some guys that could fly too.

Carmel girls swim team is just like the above scenario. Ton of girls that would be #1 swimmers on just about any other high school team in the state that only see limited varsity time.

Wow that is crazy to think about. 71 was my graduating year and do remember Southport having a very good track program back then. Gary Roosevelt had some guys that could fly too.

Carmel girls swim team is just like the above scenario. Ton of girls that would be #1 swimmers on just about any other high school team in the state that only see limited varsity time.
googled it just for sh*ts and grins, and look what I found:

ran with 1 kids brother, and was friends with another's sister. There was a really great age group runner who used to come back and run with us and I swear he was on that team, but is not listed, but I noticed they only have about half the kids names so I'm pretty sure he was on that team too.

Reactions: Coach Geez
googled it just for sh*ts and grins, and look what I found:

ran with 1 kids brother, and was friends with another's sister. There was a really great age group runner who used to come back and run with us and I swear he was on that team, but is not listed, but I noticed they only have about half the kids names so I'm pretty sure he was on that team too.
And, I should point out that Coach Hathaway became a great national class senior runner as he got older, in his own right. He ultimately completed his goal of running a marathon in all 50 states! Great Man! RIP Coach, know you're still probably knocking out the miles in heaven!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT