ADVERTISEMENT

AXIOS Interview

Yes, it is. It's not a 20% decrease in good outcomes, but it is a 20% increase in bad outcomes. That's how proportions work. They aren't mirror images of each other, but rather inverted ratios. If there is a 10% chance I'm a dick, and then I drink a half bottle of Bulleit Rye, there is now a 20% chance I'm a dick. The odds that I'm a dick* have increased 100%. But the odds that I'm not a dick have only gone from 90% to 80%, a decrease of only 11%. That's how these things work.

There's nothing wrong with you saying you don't think the 20% increase from 4.0 to 4.8 is significant. That's perfectly valid. But this stubborn insistence of yours to proclaim that it's not actually a 20% increase is bizarre. It is what it is. Math isn't an opinion. It's just math.

*Yes, I realize I'm probably understating those odds.
Imagine thinking one knows more than basic math. Basic ****ing math.

This is just a devolution (de-evolution, as I think CO would put it) of his previous arguments that he understood higher math better than other mathematicians. Such as his previous insistence that non-linear equations are something other than what they are.

And.... nobody ever said it was, other than you, in building your strawman.

Please consult with a 7th grader.

The eating of red meat increased the cancer risk by 20% from the previous condition. Indeed, the numbers are so small that it is a wonder that there is statistical significance. But it is a 20% increase, by the data.

COVID-19 increased your risk of death by 20%, by your calculations, from the previous condition.

This might be the occasion to rightfully say... "It is what it is".

This might be the occasion for you to rightfully say "I guess I was wrong"

I won't hold my breath, though.

Once again, I fail to see the importance or relevance of your 20% statistic. In most cases these kinds of discussions about rate increases is intended to attract attention, produce ratings, cause clicks, or scare people into action. It’s an emotional appeal. Bleah.

This is just a devolution (de-evolution, as I think CO would put it) of his previous arguments that he understood higher math better than other mathematicians. Such as his previous insistence that non-linear equations are something other than what they are.

De-evolution is a reversion. (Reversal for those of you in Loma Linda.)

Devolution is a deterioration.

Not the same thing.

It isn't an appeal, it's math.

Saying 2+2= 4 is not intended to alarm you or to otherwise shake your fragile constitution.

Newton supposedly invented calculus in a pandemic. Now CO.Hoosier has invented "new new math"

Good grief. Back to square 1. My chance of dying this year without covid is 4%. My chance of dying with covid is 4.8%. That is an increase of .8%.

COVID-19 increased your risk of death by 20%, by your calculations, from the previous condition.
Your math is correct. But your point is different and irrelevant. You are calculating the rate of change, not the change.

This thread fully encapsulates CoHs descent into Trumpism. You can deny basic facts simply by being shameless to the truth. The more inconvenient the truth (say forced family separations) the more shameless the defense. Trump has taught so many Americans the art of gaslighting. Apparently both the smart and the dumb.

Soooooo did anyone notice that he again genuinely expressed concern for the girlfriend of a convicted pedophile who is accused of being a ringleader of a massive human sex trafficking organization?

Does that not raise a red flag or two?

Yes, it is. It's not a 20% decrease in good outcomes, but it is a 20% increase in bad outcomes. That's how proportions work. They aren't mirror images of each other, but rather inverted ratios. If there is a 10% chance I'm a dick, and then I drink a half bottle of Bulleit Rye, there is now a 20% chance I'm a dick. The odds that I'm a dick* have increased 100%. But the odds that I'm not a dick have only gone from 90% to 80%, a decrease of only 11%. That's how these things work.

There's nothing wrong with you saying you don't think the 20% increase from 4.0 to 4.8 is significant. That's perfectly valid. But this stubborn insistence of yours to proclaim that it's not actually a 20% increase is bizarre. It is what it is. Math isn't an opinion. It's just math.

*Yes, I realize I'm probably understating those odds.
Your example about inverted ratios is similar to one of Jim Cramer's rules about investing in stocks. He says you should probably sell any stock whose price decreases 8% because it is unlikely the price will return to where it was in a reasonable time.

Cramer uses the example of a stock with a price of $100 that drops $8 to $92 -- that's a decrease of 8%. However, for that same stock to increase $8 from $92 to return to $100 would be an increase of 8.7% (i.e. 92 ➗8). Cramer then points out that, statistically, very few stocks increase by 8.7% in a short period of time, so you should admit it was a bad investment and sell it.

(It'll be interesting to watch the trolls politicize what I just wrote.)

You aren’t arguing 2+2=4. You are arguing the change from 2 to 4 is 100%.
If I have $20 already, then you give me another $20. What has happened? I have then doubled my money. My wealth has increased 100%.

It's OK to admit that you don't understand.

You were good in that movie, BTW

2398793ef1d8612393ac836c95ba595c--best-movie-quotes-crazy-humor.jpg

Soooooo did anyone notice that he again genuinely expressed concern for the girlfriend of a convicted pedophile who is accused of being a ringleader of a massive human sex trafficking organization?

Does that not raise a red flag or two?

Biden said tomato when he meant potato. That's what really matters.

If I have $20 already, then you give me another $20. What has happened? I have then doubled my money. My wealth has increased 100%.

It's OK to admit that you don't understand.

You were good in that movie, BTW

2398793ef1d8612393ac836c95ba595c--best-movie-quotes-crazy-humor.jpg

Not exactly. The unit of measure I’m talking about Is already expressed as a percentage. When I add .8%, I’m increasing the percentage. You want to talk about a percent of a percent. That isn’t important or relevant.

This thread fully encapsulates CoHs descent into Trumpism. You can deny basic facts simply by being shameless to the truth. The more inconvenient the truth (say forced family separations) the more shameless the defense. Trump has taught so many Americans the art of gaslighting. Apparently both the smart and the dumb.

LOL. You turn an argument about the importance of rate of change in chances of death into TRUMP and you call me shameless? Well, okaaaaay.

Shorter version: You can't do that.

For the diehard Trumpers, up can be down, down can be up, it all depends on how the orange wind blows.

Facts are obsolete and all is opinion. To them, science is just someone's opinion. Math is just someone's opinion. The rate of nuclear decay is just someone's opinion. The velocity of an unladen swallow is just someone's opinion.

DJT loves the poorly educated, the people of the land, the common clay of the West, the morons. And they love him back. If they have to lose grandma for him, well, it is what it is. Bye granny!

Last edited:
I'm aware that such people exist.

There are actually a lot of Republicans living in California. Even so, if I was someone who doesn't like liberals, I wouldn't move to California.
I lived in California. I'm a tolerant person . . . I golfed with Democrats too.

Reactions: hoosboot
Good grief. Back to square 1. My chance of dying this year without covid is 4%. My chance of dying with covid is 4.8%. That is an increase of .8%.

Your math is correct. But your point is different and irrelevant. You are calculating the rate of change, not the change.
I'd refer to that as an increase of .8 of a percentage point.

Reactions: CO. Hoosier
For the diehard Trumpers, up can be down, down can be up, it all depends on how the orange wind blows.

Facts are obsolete and all is opinion. To them, science is just someone's opinion. Math is just someone's opinion. The rate of nuclear decay is just someone's opinion. The velocity of an unladen swallow is just someone's opinion.

DJT loves the poorly educated, the people of the land, the common clay of the West, the morons. And they love him back. If they have to lose grandma for him, well, it is what it is. Bye granny!
African or European swallow?

https://odditymall.com/monty-python-doormat

Reactions: outside shooter
I lived in California. I'm a tolerant person . . . I golfed with Democrats too.

I used to be tolerant person. 25 years ago I was in "agree to disagree" territory. That started to change during the Gingrich Era. By the end of GWB any respect for the political opinions of the right was completely gone. At this point... after watching how they treated Obama then applauded Trump... my respect for Republicans as humans is pretty much gone.

I'll be polite enough in real life, but I don't deal with right-wingers any more than necessary. Trump 2016 was a line in the sand for me, and once true colors are shown, they can't be unseen.

I used to be tolerant person. 25 years ago I was in "agree to disagree" territory. That started to change during the Gingrich Era. By the end of GWB any respect for the political opinions of the right was completely gone. At this point... after watching how they treated Obama then applauded Trump... my respect for Republicans as humans is pretty much gone.

I'll be polite enough in real life, but I don't deal with right-wingers any more than necessary. Trump 2016 was a line in the sand for me, and once true colors are shown, they can't be unseen.

You have summed up in a short post the unmistakable emerging "progressive" trend that certain voices in the US are to be quashed and never heard. This is your view of tolerance and open discussion? Cancel culture is indeed a thing. You are not a liberal and you are not a progressive.

You have summed up in a short post the unmistakable emerging "progressive" trend that certain voices in the US are to be quashed and never heard. This is your view of tolerance and open discussion? Cancel culture is indeed a thing. You are not a liberal and you are not a progressive.

I don't recall ever claiming to be tolerant of bigotry.

I sincerely wish your kind hadn't painted itself into the corner the way you have. We'd all be better off now if you hadn't so stubbornly held on to your ignorance.

As I explained above, I reached the point, fifteen years ago, that I couldn't respect your side of the discussion. How can I when all you bring is rationalizations for policies and behavior that any decent, moral, compassionate, rational human would find repugnant?

I don't recall ever claiming to be tolerant of bigotry.

I sincerely wish your kind hadn't painted itself into the corner the way you have. We'd all be better off now if you hadn't so stubbornly held on to your ignorance.

As I explained above, I reached the point, fifteen years ago, that I couldn't respect your side of the discussion. How can I when all you bring is rationalizations for policies and behavior that any decent, moral, compassionate, rational human would find repugnant?

What's next? You gonna beat me over the head with your ignore button?

I choose not to ignore willful stupidity.

Instead, I aim to enlighten.

Some dark bastions of unreason stubbornly shun all light shined upon them, unfortunately, despite noble efforts.

Still, we marshall on, speaking the truth, attempting to illuminate the darkest recesses of obstinate, feeble, but perhaps somewhat minimally functional minds.

dumb

I now understand why you are a Trump supporter. You are willing to deny basic math (or maybe you just don’t understand) in order to prove a point that 150k deaths are simply, to put it in the orange hair idiots own words, “it is what it is”.

You should take another vacation. According to Trump yo-semite is a great national park to visit.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT