ADVERTISEMENT

Attendance

It was really , really hot. No shade, no air. Bad opponent. I left after the two quick scores in the second half, with a really bad headache, I’m sure brought on by the heat. I think next week should be much better. It’s not changing overnight.
Would you do this at Assembly Hall in February with snow and ice on the ground, 9 degree weather walking to your car and a 15 point lead? Honest reply please.

I seem to remember at least one iteration of then-AD McNeely’s plans (to make an “athletic campus” out of everything north of 17th St) that included a multi-level parking facility. IIRC it was intended to be located out near the Bypass for ease of access, etc

I don’t enjoy talking about this, but there is a segment of the IU fan base that I have encountered throughout my life that isn’t just apathetic towards the football program but downright hostile towards it. They are basketball only fans who seem to actively want the program to fail and resent it when there is any semblance of success. I’ve never understood it and haven’t ever seen anything quite like it anywhere else.
That group also doesn’t understand basic economics, the changing nature of college athletics and have zero vision. Tunnel vision dullards. I call them The Neanderthals.

Clearly the coaches and players have been doing about as much as could be realistically expected of them, but I don’t know if the same is true of the Ath Dept or not. I’m not remotely as familiar with the current AD staff as I was 20-25 years ago, but a quick search on the IUAD website shows (unsurprisingly) numerous people connected with areas like facilities, compliance, academic services and IT, but not much in the way of marketing or promotion. I gather there is an Assoc AD for events and safety, but I have no idea if he’s involved in things like marketing or promotions or not.

Given that, unlike the BB program, the FB program isn’t a national brand that can market itself, perhaps the services of an outside marketing consultant (or, better yet, an assigned in-house employee) would be worth pursuing. Especially at a time when IU is apparently making a concerted effort to recruit more out-of-state students who might well be familiar with the IU basketball program but arrive in Bloomington with no affinity to speak of for its chronically underachieving football program. JMHO.
Speaking of chronically underachieving……IU basketball 2000-2024. Running on fumes.
May be carbon monoxide. Extremely frustrating. Hell, most schools in this conference prioritize football and have no problem hiring good basketball coaches and make the tournament with ease.

Speaking of chronically underachieving……IU basketball 2000-2024. Running on fumes.
May be carbon monoxide. Extremely frustrating. Hell, most schools in this conference prioritize football and have no problem hiring good basketball coaches and make the tournament with ease.
It seems the administration finally woke the hell up about the importance of football but the fans are clueless. Plus the city does nothing to promote IU athletics. Terre Haute held pep rallies downtown before Sycamore basketball games to promote civic pride.

I don’t enjoy talking about this, but there is a segment of the IU fan base that I have encountered throughout my life that isn’t just apathetic towards the football program but downright hostile towards it. They are basketball only fans who seem to actively want the program to fail and resent it when there is any semblance of success. I’ve never understood it and haven’t ever seen anything quite like it anywhere else.
I've never experienced this. I've met Tons of reversible jackets fans that make jokes like "IU has a football team? Har har har". But never any straight up dislike. Why on earth would anyone "hate" IU football, except maybe Purdue fans? IU football has literally never given any other program and their fans reason to hate them.

I've never experienced this. I've met Tons of reversible jackets fans that make jokes like "IU has a football team? Har har har". But never any straight up dislike. Why on earth would anyone "hate" IU football, except maybe Purdue fans? IU football has literally never given any other program and their fans reason to hate them.
Social media posts says that’s false. Lots of fans straight talk down to IU football.

Reactions: FamousShoes22
OT, nothing to do with fans. But, the one trait besides good offenses that I liked about Kevin Wilson; didn't take any of the talk down crap right from the start. I don't think that'll happen with Cig. Too much still of the 'what makes you think you can win here'. ('Google me.') But not any giggling about it like Wilson ran into at first.

It seems the administration finally woke the hell up about the importance of football but the fans are clueless. Plus the city does nothing to promote IU athletics. Terre Haute held pep rallies downtown before Sycamore basketball games to promote civic pride.
My pops and a few family friends were invited to go to todays game and sit in the main presidential suite! Talked with the IU President and her husband for a bit and they say they are doing everything possible to help this football program succeed! They both used to be all about Georgia football fans before UGA became a powerhouse and are trying to do the same with IUs program. Good start i’d say! They are really high on Roarke to lead this team to the promise land!

Yeah I park around 6 blocks away for free and have for years. I’m not getting gouged on parking. Most can’t handle that walk though.
I have never paid for parking. There are free spots all over, you just have to walk or ride a bike. Fat, drunk, stupid (and lazy) is no way to go through life.

Reactions: IUgradman
We are coming up for a game. I have to figure out where to park because I have no desire to dole out $50 just to park.

Reactions: red hornet
Church lot at Fee and Matlock Road. Guaranteed rates for games like this.
Parking is absolutely FREE at the Henderson-Atwater and Poplars Garages, and both have FREE shuttles to/from the north end of Assembly Hall before/after the game.

Rides to the stadium are OK, but you need to be fit enough to walk the 1 to 1.25 mile hike back to the garage of choice. The waits at the bus stop after the game, and then the uncomfortable ride back is not worth it. Picture waiting 45 minutes for an overpacked Bangladeshi bus ride with tired, sweaty, hungry peasants.

Would you do this at Assembly Hall in February with snow and ice on the ground, 9 degree weather walking to your car and a 15 point lead? Honest reply please.
Snow and ice and I may not even be there. If it wasn’t too bad to drive depends on the opponent and how much time is left. Purdue, or a major opponent I’d stay. But it’s not cold and icy inside, the combination of weather and opppnent is what did it today.

Also, since this was my first game of the year, I was really impressed with the upgrades to the concessions. Buffalouies, Yogis, Social Cantina, several concessions where you grab what you want and pay on your own, and lots of drinks kiosks everywhere. No more standing in line for a quarter of the game and lots of food choices.

Also, since this was my first game of the year, I was really impressed with the upgrades to the concessions. Buffalouies, Yogis, Social Cantina, several concessions where you grab what you want and pay on your own, and lots of drinks kiosks everywhere. No more standing in line for a quarter of the game and lots of food choices.
You are right there. Best soft pretzels are Ben’s. Only one place on the East side where you can get the fountain drinks and the 65 gallon tub of popcorn are at the Sausage Haus. Overall, the food selection has great variety this year.

Gonna be 86° when USC and Michigan kicks off. Guarantee that stadium will be near fill capacity and people aren’t leaving early.

The administration, coaches and players are doing everything they can to change the trajectory of this program. The fans need to do their part.
Yeah well, if IU were coming off a NC the year before and 8 or so historically there would be a big crowd there too. Cannot compare UM crowd with IU crowd.

I put together a group of friends that bought one of the new “suites” on the Sample Terrace in the south end zone. It was hotter than hades today. I was only in the sun for maybe a quarter of the game but felt sunburned when I got home. Spent most of the game inside (shade) by a big fan. Pleasant there.

I thought the crowd was pretty strong for the 2nd quarter. Early it sucked. Late it really sucked. Even after HT, it was relatively embarrassing.

The overall game day experience is really fun up there. Easy parking. The fact you can stand, walk around, or sit is a pretty big deal for me.

My only gripe (and it’s fairly minor) is this “upgraded” game day food with Levy. There’s a buffet directly behind the suites. Nice. But the food is average at best. When I read the comments above about all the food choices, I get a little crazy. Sure, I could run down and visit one of those stands. But should I? After spending a pretty penny for each game, I don’t feel great about buying different food than what I’ve already bought. Today, our refrigerator had 4 waters. It’s a 16-20 ticket suite. It’s 92 degrees and they think 4 waters will cover it???

Lastly, the ride down from Indy on 69 is a breeze. Finally.

I put together a group of friends that bought one of the new “suites” on the Sample Terrace in the south end zone. It was hotter than hades today. I was only in the sun for maybe a quarter of the game but felt sunburned when I got home. Spent most of the game inside (shade) by a big fan. Pleasant there.

I thought the crowd was pretty strong for the 2nd quarter. Early it sucked. Late it really sucked. Even after HT, it was relatively embarrassing.

The overall game day experience is really fun up there. Easy parking. The fact you can stand, walk around, or sit is a pretty big deal for me.

My only gripe (and it’s fairly minor) is this “upgraded” game day food with Levy. There’s a buffet directly behind the suites. Nice. But the food is average at best. When I read the comments above about all the food choices, I get a little crazy. Sure, I could run down and visit one of those stands. But should I? After spending a pretty penny for each game, I don’t feel great about buying different food than what I’ve already bought. Today, our refrigerator had 4 waters. It’s a 16-20 ticket suite. It’s 92 degrees and they think 4 waters will cover it???

Lastly, the ride down from Indy on 69 is a breeze. Finally.
Similar experience. We spent Q4 inside the A/C at the HHOC watching through a window.

No wind, no clouds. It was just hot.

Do they at least have peanuts in the shell at the suites? That was one of my favorite parts of the old Rooftop at the Rock.

I don’t think it’s ”hate” per se, but they very much want their hierarchy to be preserved. The notion that basketball may not always be king at IU and that football won’t stay in its’ place at the back of the bus pisses them off. I’ll admit that it is weird, but it is also a very real phenomenon among a subset of so-called IU “fans” out there. I’m sure I’m not the only one who’s run into this either…

Similar experience. We spent Q4 inside the A/C at the HHOC watching through a window.

No wind, no clouds. It was just hot.

Do they at least have peanuts in the shell at the suites? That was one of my favorite parts of the old Rooftop at the Rock.
Nope

Open w Kentucky home and home - Sellout

2nd game Miami(OH) or Ohio 2 for 1 - crowd like today.

3rd game - WVA, Tenn, Ole Miss/Miss State home and home - sellout

Games like today...love the win...but BORING.
One of those three would be an improvement on our horrendous OOC schedule but there is zero chance, for good reason, that we would schedule all three of those three type of teams.

Last edited:
It was really , really hot. No shade, no air. Bad opponent. I left after the two quick scores in the second half, with a really bad headache, I’m sure brought on by the heat. I think next week should be much better. It’s not changing overnight.
I had the same bad headache Zeke and I was well hydrated. Hard to explain today, but a W is a W and we'll take it.

With a week to go, about 46K tickets are sold for the MD game, already 2-3K higher than FIU or Charlotte. We’ll see how many more get sold this week.

And yes the fans need to use their tickets etc., that topic has been beaten to death here. First step is to sell the tickets.

Last edited:
I’ve had season tickets for over 30 years. IU wants big time football, it needs big time fans. Come on here and half of what you see are excuses and whining on why people don’t go or show up.

It’s hot, like Bloomington was the only hot place on earth yesterday.

Parking/prices…..show me all those other power 4 stadiums that are cheaper and parking is a 2 minute walk to your seat

Win first. The it’s be exciting. Then it’s play someone better. Always moving the goal post.

Then, if god forbid Cig moves on in a year or two, those people will blame the administration.

I don’t think it’s ”hate” per se, but they very much want their hierarchy to be preserved. The notion that basketball may not always be king at IU and that football won’t stay in its’ place at the back of the bus pisses them off. I’ll admit that it is weird, but it is also a very real phenomenon among a subset of so-called IU “fans” out there. I’m sure I’m not the only one who’s run into this either…
Those "fans" can eat shit. We don't need them for basketball either.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT