ADVERTISEMENT

Athlon B1G Predictions are a joke

IUCX9

Junior
Nov 30, 2018

Has IU last in the East.

The swamp up north is 2nd in the West.

I can't wait for these ridiculous divisions to be history.

Reactions: vesuvius13
What exactly is ridiculous about them? The west is weak and we were rarely competitive last season and only won 2 games against horrible teams. We are questionable at QB, WR, RB, LB and most of our horrific OL returns. Last in our monster division sounds about right. Our DL is unproven too.

What exactly is ridiculous about them? The west is weak and we were rarely competitive last season and only won 2 games against horrible teams. We are questionable at QB, WR, RB, LB and most of our horrific OL returns. Last in our monster division sounds about right. Our DL is unproven too.
Until IU demonstrates otherwise, you gotta go with history plus any new data.

The divisions are a joke, but that is where we line up. IU would be higher in the JV division.

Until IU demonstrates otherwise, you gotta go with history plus any new data.

The divisions are a joke, but that is where we line up. IU would be higher in the JV division.
IU would likely be rated dead last in the West division as well. The divisions don’t mean squat when you are the worst of 14 teams. It is what it is. IU can change this and shut down its critics this year, my big, fat mouth included!

I can't be mad at these predictions. Like it or not, our experienced roster full of returning starters was blown out like a GO5 team in 2/3 of conference games last year. IUFB is nothing but a bunch of names on a roster sheet rn. Some transfers have had success at other programs, and others have flashed potential as backups, but outside of Matthews and Mullen, very few of them have proven anything to the point where this team should definitively jump above RU or Maryland. I personally think we'll finish higher than last in the East again, but from a standpoint of proven results, IUFB should be last going into the start of next year.

As for Purdon't, the West is wide open and they return their most important player in AOC. PU could win the West, or finish fifth, it's total crap shoot. I could legitamitely see every team outside of the ones located in Illinois winning the West this year. If I were an outside media website, I might as well give PU some respect for going 9-4 last season, especially given their schedule is projected to be the least difficult of any B1G team next season according to the ESPN FPI. Oh and in case anyone was wondering, Indiana is projected to have the most difficult schedule of any team in the B1G.

Last edited:
Nothing like more motivation for the players to show they are better than others think they are. It will be up to the coaches and players to show where they really rank in the conference. IU fooled most everyone last season and now people are in a show me mood for this season.

I can't be mad at these predictions. Like it or not, our experienced roster full of returning starters was blown out like a GO5 team in 2/3 of conference games last year. IUFB is nothing but a bunch of names on a roster sheet rn. Some transfers have had success at other programs, and others have flashed potential as backups, but outside of Matthews and Mullen, very few of them have proven anything to the point where this team should definitively jump above RU or Maryland. I personally think we'll finish higher than last in the East again, but from a standpoint of proven results, IUFB should be last going into the start of next year.

As for Purdon't, the West is wide open and they return their most important player in AOC. PU could win the West, or finish fifth, it's total crap shoot. I could legitamitely see every team outside of the ones located in Illinois winning the West this year. If I were an outside media website, I might as well give PU some respect for going 9-4 last season, especially given their schedule is projected to be the least difficult of any B1G team next season according to the ESPN FPI, and in case anyone was wondering, Indiana is projected to have the most difficult schedule of any team in the B1G.
I agree on Purdue. They have talent and depth at the important positions and the west us competitive enough that 9 wins could win the West.

What ever the off season program was last year it has got to change completely. Every coach at every position needs to try something else.
The total approach from strength training to 7 on 7 needs to change with leadership taking charge. We can't assume anything at any position. Players need to hold each other accountable. Tom was too hands off last year and it blew up on him. He needs to be involved especially in the OLine room. Walt Bell needs to be involved everywhere.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1
By not replacing the OL coach, CTA cost a season. If the OL is not dramatically improved, with the QB spot looked to be manned by pedestrian talent, the offense will not be very potent. The defense would have to give up 21 or less per game for IU to even have a chance, that looks pretty difficult with the schedule.

I'm going to reserve sharing my expectations until I know how many miles per hour everybody is running. I'm afraid that after the first quarter of the Illinois game I will be thinking why the f*** did everybody think the offense was going to be better this year?

I'm going to reserve sharing my expectations until I know how many miles per hour everybody is running. I'm afraid that after the first quarter of the Illinois game I will be thinking why the f*** did everybody think the offense was going to be better this year?
My hopes/expectations are extremely simple to start the season: Do whatever it takes to beat Illinois by at least one point and I'll worry about the "style points" when we play Idaho...

I'd actually be surprised if the Illinois D didn't cause us some trouble early... That's supposedly their strength coming in...

My hopes/expectations are extremely simple to start the season: Do whatever it takes to beat Illinois by at least one point and I'll worry about the "style points" when we play Idaho...

I'd actually be surprised if the Illinois D didn't cause us some trouble early... That's supposedly their strength coming in...
We simply cannot STB the way we did vs Iowa. It will be a good crowd and Ill will not lay down.

Need to A: get a QB chosen and ready to play, B: get the damned OL ready and on the same page and C: get back to the def schemes that worked in 2020 and were abandoned in 2021.

This will be the defining season for CTA's tenure.

What ever the off season program was last year it has got to change completely. Every coach at every position needs to try something else.
The total approach from strength training to 7 on 7 needs to change with leadership taking charge. We can't assume anything at any position. Players need to hold each other accountable. Tom was too hands off last year and it blew up on him. He needs to be involved especially in the OLine room. Walt Bell needs to be involved everywhere.
By all I've kept up on that is precisely what Allen, Bell have prioritized and I'll hazzard a very pedestrian guess Rod Carey is earlobe deep in the OL if not also the offense in general. I know he's recognized as designated to the D but even at my age I still use stratagems and feints for advantage. Allen keeps much in house and under wraps. It's where the lines intersect on his operations graph.

By all I've kept up on that is precisely what Allen, Bell have prioritized and I'll hazzard a very pedestrian guess Rod Carey is earlobe deep in the OL if not also the offense in general. I know he's recognized as designated to the D but even at my age I still use stratagems and feints for advantage. Allen keeps much in house and under wraps. It's where the lines intersect on his operations graph.
Any assistance provided by Rod Carey would need to be strictly off field and not with players in any way, or it would be a clear violation of NCAA rules.

Any assistance provided by Rod Carey would need to be strictly off field and not with players in any way, or it would be a clear violation of NCAA rules.
Was not your discussion topic about coaches you hoped would be hard mentored? Certainly what I was focusing on. Who brought players into the conversation. Read my words, not between the lines.

Seems logical....making a judgement after one quarter of football.

Was not your discussion topic about coaches you hoped would be hard mentored? Certainly what I was focusing on. Who brought players into the conversation. Read my words, not between the lines.
I misunderstood. Carey is there as an analyst, not as a mentor for any coach, and there wouldn’t be any value to keep his role secret. I made no comment about a role as a mentor, which wouldn’t be the case. I’m sure his input will be sought and considered, but that different.

I misunderstood. Carey is there as an analyst, not as a mentor for any coach, and there wouldn’t be any value to keep his role secret. I made no comment about a role as a mentor, which wouldn’t be the case. I’m sure his input will be sought and considered, but that different.
Sorry, this the is the 2nd thread I've engaged with you. I'm not the least bit interested in how clever you are. Enjoy looking in the mirror.

Sorry, this the is the 2nd thread I've engaged with you. I'm not the least bit interested in how clever you are. Enjoy looking in the mirror.
You’ve lost me on this post. Sorry, no interest in trying to translate. I’ll just keep talking IU football.

Twenty-three non losing seasons of football over the last 80 years can kinda skew the forecasters a little. Sad to say, the writers have been downers on IU football for good reason. It has been too safe of a bet just to predict a losing season. Here is hoping CTA can get that trend corrected. He at least has given us some much needed hope.
Go Hoosiers!

Twenty-three non losing seasons of football over the last 80 years can kinda skew the forecasters a little. Sad to say, the writers have been downers on IU football for good reason. It has been too safe of a bet just to predict a losing season. Here is hoping CTA can get that trend corrected. He at least has given us some much needed hope.
Go Hoosiers!
All you need to do is revisit where IU was ranked preseason last year to understand hesitancy.

With essentially all new coaches and 50% player turnover. Again, extremely logical.
It's going to be easy, and logical, to see whether the offense has improved at all since last year, against a peer program. It's not like we're playing Idaho and we look amazing against an FCS program but doesn't tell us anything. This is against a peer B1G program in the same rebuilding position as IU.

1) Is the play calling any good? Is it vanilla? Is it aggressive enough? Are we calling a draw play on 3 and 9? Or a 4 yard out on 3rd and 5?

2) Is the QB position improved? Is he making good decisions? Getting the ball out quick and and on target? Does he trust his OL and his receivers? Or is Is hesitating, getting the ball out late, scrambling when he should stand tall in the pocket and deliver ball? Taking sacks when he should be getting rid of it? Is he throwing a pick to the open linebacker?

3) Has the OL improved? Are we controlling the line of scrimmage? Does the RB have holes to run through? Is the QB running for his life more often than not?

All 3 of these things can be gleaned after the 1st quarter, or the 2nd, when Courtsensetwo has had his bourbon.

If we still see everything that we saw last year, then you can make logical decisions about where things are likely going. If these 3 things are improved from last year, then you've got some confidence going into the rest of the season.

It's going to be easy, and logical, to see whether the offense has improved at all since last year, against a peer program. It's not like we're playing Idaho and we look amazing against an FCS program but doesn't tell us anything. This is against a peer B1G program in the same rebuilding position as IU.

1) Is the play calling any good? Is it vanilla? Is it aggressive enough? Are we calling a draw play on 3 and 9? Or a 4 yard out on 3rd and 5?

2) Is the QB position improved? Is he making good decisions? Getting the ball out quick and and on target? Does he trust his OL and his receivers? Or is Is hesitating, getting the ball out late, scrambling when he should stand tall in the pocket and deliver ball? Taking sacks when he should be getting rid of it? Is he throwing a pick to the open linebacker?

3) Has the OL improved? Are we controlling the line of scrimmage? Does the RB have holes to run through? Is the QB running for his life more often than not?

All 3 of these things can be gleaned after the 1st quarter, or the 2nd, when Courtsensetwo has had his bourbon.

If we still see everything that we saw last year, then you can make logical decisions about where things are likely going. If these 3 things are improved from last year, then you've got some confidence going into the rest of the season.
IN ONE QUARTER!!!

We might have two possessions in that quarter.

Everyone always talks about the biggest improvement in a season being between games 1 and 2.

ONE FRICKING QUARTER!!!!

No wonder we have the dumbest fan base in the B1G when it comes to football.

IN ONE QUARTER!!!

Everyone always talks about the biggest improvement in a season being between games 1 and 2.

ONE FRICKING QUARTER!!!!

if we are, we've been dumbed down by decades of putrid football.

IN ONE QUARTER!!!

ONE FRICKING QUARTER!!!!

We have two new coordinators, four new coaches, and tons of new faces in our two deeps on both sides of the ball. Offensively, we’ve torn it down to the studs for the most part and rebuilt it with talent that’s probably decent but not difference making. You’re right, one quarter might not be enough. On the other hand and very much in hindsight, it only took five minutes last Fall in the first game against Iowa to see that we weren’t nearly the team Coach Allen, the players and many fans thought we were going to be, either.

Reactions: IUCX9 and 82hoosier
We have two new coordinators, four new coaches, and tons of new faces in our two deeps on both sides of the ball. Offensively, we’ve torn it down to the studs for the most part and rebuilt it with talent that’s probably decent but not difference making. You’re right, one quarter might not be enough. On the other hand and very much in hindsight, it only took five minutes last Fall in the first game against Iowa to see that we weren’t nearly the team Coach Allen, the players and many fans thought we were going to be, either.
I agree.

Time to get out of the Big Ten and join the AAC. It is more of a fit for a smaller program like IU.

Reactions: CaptainZigZag
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT