ADVERTISEMENT

As easy as it is to say "I'll cancel my tickets"...

Jun 1, 2009
... the way the Varsity Club assigns points makes this a complicated decision. I've only had season tickets for 5 years, and I only donate in a lower (but not the lowest) level of varsity membership, but even I feel held hostage by the point system. Like a lot of people, if Crean is retained this off-season - or worse yet, extended! - I'd love to be able to confidently say I'm stopping my contributions and dropping my tickets (probably keeping football though), as the only thing I can do as a consumer to express my displeasure and possibly drive change.

But the reality is whether Crean is gone next year or 5 years from year, he will be gone some day. I'm an IU fan now and will still be no matter how long it takes to get there. And the thought of starting over so-to-speak with varsity points really stinks. Heck, I'm only in row 39 of the Hall as it is! If I cancel now, and lose the accumulating/continuous points, when a new coach is hired, I'll likely get leap-frogged by people who will make big splash one-time donations that trump my giving level. Although if I stick with it during these dark hours, it's possible I'd at least be able to defend against the lower end of the big-splashers once a new coach arrives.

Anybody else feel boxed in cancelling varsity/tickets because of the point system, or for anyone who's thought about this, have you already gotten to the "oh, F it, I don't care" point?

Reactions: IUcolorado
... the way the Varsity Club assigns points makes this a complicated decision. I've only had season tickets for 5 years, and I only donate in a lower (but not the lowest) level of varsity membership, but even I feel held hostage by the point system. Like a lot of people, if Crean is retained this off-season - or worse yet, extended! - I'd love to be able to confidently say I'm stopping my contributions and dropping my tickets (probably keeping football though), as the only thing I can do as a consumer to express my displeasure and possibly drive change.

But the reality is whether Crean is gone next year or 5 years from year, he will be gone some day. I'm an IU fan now and will still be no matter how long it takes to get there. And the thought of starting over so-to-speak with varsity points really stinks. Heck, I'm only in row 39 of the Hall as it is! If I cancel now, and lose the accumulating/continuous points, when a new coach is hired, I'll likely get leap-frogged by people who will make big splash one-time donations that trump my giving level. Although if I stick with it during these dark hours, it's possible I'd at least be able to defend against the lower end of the big-splashers once a new coach arrives.

Anybody else feel boxed in cancelling varsity/tickets because of the point system, or for anyone who's thought about this, have you already gotten to the "oh, F it, I don't care" point?

Save the money you normally donate so you can big splash back into the pool at the time of your choosing.

Reactions: BigNutsIUFan
I don't have tickets but understand your dilemma. If IU keeps Crean, couldn't you keep your tickets and just sell them to the opposing teams fans each game? And only the opposing teams fans.

Not perfect. IU still gets the money. But if a lot of people did this, might make for interesting home games.

Nah, if you are going to quit giving money, quit. Selling to opposing fans does not hurt the decision makers, it hurts the players who really have no say in this.

Save the money you normally donate so you can big splash back into the pool at the time of your choosing.
That's an option I hadn't really thought of... but I *think* that doing this would probably equate to less points and a worse place in line down the road. That first year back, I might be in a better situation, but then I'd drop back the following year when I went back to my normal contribution level. I guess I should run a comparison and see, but it seems like the way the accumulation points work (as opposed to the single-year points), my initial guess is that I'd be worse of from year-2 (and forward) of the new guy.

Let mine go after Sampson. Done with them because of the bs point system. Tough call

I don't have tickets but understand your dilemma. If IU keeps Crean, couldn't you keep your tickets and just sell them to the opposing teams fans each game? And only the opposing teams fans.
From a purely economic standpoint, yes. But I can't/won't do that. I've always sold the games I couldn't go to other IU fans. I actually had to miss the UK game in Cody's first year and sold my tickets to IU fans for far lower than what UK fans would have paid.

Reactions: ORG
I get your problem, but look at the last 17 years of IU basketball. Will you continue buying tickets in the hope that they might get it right at some point in the future?

* I do not have tickets and have no desire to have tickets. I recognize that my opinion may be different than those who have accumulated points. But until those folks tell IU that they are fed up and quit, we will keep getting this garbage.

Not perfect. IU still gets the money. But if a lot of people did this, might make for interesting home games.
Jesus H Christ! Who are you people? Are you a student or IU grad? Or just the grumbling public?

Jesus H Christ! Who are you people? Are you a student or IU grad? Or just the grumbling public?

IU grad. Looking for ways to demonstrate the idiocy of keeping Crean. Or, we can just settle on what we are getting in terms of IU. The idea probably isn't a good one. Just looking at options.

You OK with the program?

We had for several years bought the mini series package. Being a distance from IU, it allowed us to take time off around the holidays to attend games with our family. We also bouthg tickets for other games when they became available. Our tickets for many years in the mini series were in row 10 - 11 in section 2. I wasn't thrilled with bleacher seats, but it was nice to be close to the action and hear them talk.

This year we were bounced up to row 38. My son knows someone in the ticket office and he called to ask what happened. Apparently, there is a big push from sources that buy big blocks of tickets to sell on Ticket sites like Stub Hub. This is a growing practice that has taken the points we have built up from football, basketball, Varsity Club, and other donations and made them worthless. We had already decided to not buy from the ticket office. We don't need to see more than one cupcake and we would like to attend games on our schedule.

We might come to a game next year to go out to eat and spend a night in town. It won't be as much about the game, but a weekend get away. We might just as well go to Indy and watch a Pacer game. I know we won't buy a package if Crean is still there. People are going to find that IU basketball can be replaced. THAT will be the legacy of Crean and Glass.

Reactions: BayernFan

hqdefault.jpg

I'm in a similar situation.I have come to the decision to not renew if he is retained. Extra 2000$ in my pocket. I'll give Glass time until the renewal forms come out.

At row 39, you are arguably better off in the lower rows of the balcony. Personally, somebody would have to pay me a large sum of money to attend a game. You get what you pay for, which is a Crean team. If you don't pay, then you put pressure on the admin to upgrade the product.

Last edited:

I gave up my floors seats last year. Gave up the season tickets of over 25 years. It was no big deal. Haven't missed them.

From a purely economic standpoint, yes. But I can't/won't do that. I've always sold the games I couldn't go to other IU fans. I actually had to miss the UK game in Cody's first year and sold my tickets to IU fans for far lower than what UK fans would have paid.
Thank you for that . . .

Appreciate all the responses... it's funny that just a couple short hours after posting, all of my concerns have suddenly been eased. Full steam ahead on season tickets! :)

Reactions: Fail and Bail
Appreciate all the responses... it's funny that just a couple short hours after posting, all of my concerns have suddenly been eased. Full steam ahead on season tickets! :)
My wife just said she was sad and all our players will leave. I said, "let them". If they would rather play for a bad coach, they should leave and follow Crean.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT