ADVERTISEMENT

Are Dennis AND McNeil both a possibility at this point?

I would take Dennis over McNeil too, if choosing between the two. But would take either of them, or both and be glad for it.
I have a post about Cedric Russell of OSU on the portal thread. He's a kid that's going pro, although he only played 13M a game at OSU this year even though he shot 43% on 3s. It doesn't look like he's coming back to college whatever happens.

My concern about getting both kids is that they are used to starter minutes at WSU & WV. Like Russell at OSU, they would not likely get starter minutes at IU (although I was shocked at the minutes Kopp got). I would think that if we DID get both, Kopp would almost certainly be gone, as minutes would be way too little considering how Woody loves Miller.

Do either of them have a flying chance in whatever to play wherever professionally? No, so develop what you got that does. We should absolutely not be tying up scholarships or minutes for guys that can't see the floor. We have enough of them, and it will just cause chemistry problems. Get better and recruit!!!
Generally anyone still available to recruit is not an immediate impact player and at a high risk of not panning out, and would do more to tie up scholarship spots a year or 2 from now than a 1 year transfer.

And increased competition in practice will do far more to develop players than an extra few minutes of playing time

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
Film tells me that Dennis is a huge upgrade defensively over Stewart and Kopp. Kopp and Stewart were both billed as spot up shooters, but both couldn’t throw it into the ocean so that’s a wash either way.

Reactions: jiouhyu
Film tells me that Dennis is a huge upgrade defensively over Stewart and Kopp. Kopp and Stewart were both billed as spot up shooters, but both couldn’t throw it into the ocean so that’s a wash either way.
Yes they could. Both hit at the billed percentages. It was our fans that expected 3-4 shots a game from each. They were just easy to guard. Especially when the rest of the team couldn’t or wouldn’t shoot. That problem isn’t going away. The other fact is you don’t need 10 threes made a game. This team will and should be more efficient next year. Hopefully closer to what Kansas did. They averaged 7 of 17 from 3. Our efficiency problems where from the 2 pt shots. Not from 3. We averaged 6 a game 33% as a team. Our opponents shot 33% too. The 3 point stats are way overblown. It surprised me actually. We simply missed to many easy ones. Turnovers, rebounding and efficiency at the 2 pt shot with our defense. We will win a bunch of games like that.

Last edited:
Yes they could. Both hit at the billed percentages. It was our fans that expected 3-4 shots a game from each. They were just east to guard. Especially when the rest of the team couldn’t or wouldn’t shoot. That problem isn’t going away. The other fact is you don’t need 10 threes made a game. This team will and should be more efficient next year. Hopefully closer to what Kansas did. They averaged 7 of 17 from 3. Our efficiency problems where from the 2 pt shots. Not from 3. We averaged 6 a game 33% as a team. Our opponents shot 33% too. The 3 point stats are way overblown. It surprised me actually. We simply missed to many easy ones. Turnovers, rebounding and efficiency at the 2 pt shot with our defense. We will win a bunch of games like that.

yep, Stewart shot above his career percentage, Kopp shot right at career percentage. Both were SLIGHTLY below their career makes on a per minute basis, but well within reasonable expectations based on history

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
Its very smoky when it comes to a Dennis commitment here soon.

And yet, McNeil is still visiting this weekend.

That seems to indicate its at least possible that Woody would take both of them?

To quote my 12 year old daughter..."That's awkward"???

Obviously decisions could have already been made that none of us know about...which would eliminate the awkwardness. But with all the information we have, at this point, commitments from both Dennis and McNeil would get very uncomfortable.

Maybe not worth discussing until it happens. Neither has committed at this point. But this is a message board...and I'm bored...its been almost a week since we had a departure or commitment!

I really don't know why we want either of them. McNeil seems like a short 2 guard. And Dennis can't shoot.

yep, Stewart shot above his career percentage, Kopp shot right at career percentage. Both were SLIGHTLY below their career makes on a per minute basis, but well within reasonable expectations based on history
Stats don’t always tell the full story, especially if you know basketball and watch the games. Both of them were brick layers almost anytime the shot mattered. There was a large amount of wide open looks missed during the lead up to tournament play and then both post season tournaments.

They both were bad, and it put Woody in a tough spot because he’s past the point of significant changes to his rotation, etc. He stayed loyal to the older guys which I understand. Stewart especially was abysmal.

Stats don’t always tell the full story, especially if you know basketball and watch the games. Both of them were brick layers almost anytime the shot mattered. There was a large amount of wide open looks missed during the lead up to tournament play and then both post season tournaments.

They both were bad, and it put Woody in a tough spot because he’s past the point of significant changes to his rotation, etc. He stayed loyal to the older guys which I understand. Stewart especially was abysmal.
He didn’t really stay loyal, the primary alternatives (Phin and Galloway) were injured/less than 100% for large chunks of the season. Stewart had even lost his starting spot to Galloway until Galloways groin injury.

Do either of them have a flying chance in whatever to play wherever professionally? No, so develop what you got that does. We should absolutely not be tying up scholarships or minutes for guys that can't see the floor. We have enough of them, and it will just cause chemistry problems. Get better and recruit!!!
Nothing like competition for PT to make guys better. Neither JG nor Bates should have any trouble getting on the court next year.

Yes they could. Both hit at the billed percentages. It was our fans that expected 3-4 shots a game from each. They were just easy to guard. Especially when the rest of the team couldn’t or wouldn’t shoot. That problem isn’t going away. The other fact is you don’t need 10 threes made a game. This team will and should be more efficient next year. Hopefully closer to what Kansas did. They averaged 7 of 17 from 3. Our efficiency problems where from the 2 pt shots. Not from 3. We averaged 6 a game 33% as a team. Our opponents shot 33% too. The 3 point stats are way overblown. It surprised me actually. We simply missed to many easy ones. Turnovers, rebounding and efficiency at the 2 pt shot with our defense. We will win a bunch of games like that.
Mostly true but KU shot better than IU across the board. Efficiency IS the key across the board, and IU does need to shoot better. That won't come from one new player joning the team, but has to be team improvement.

2 pt. % 3 pt. % FT %
KU .536 .361 .717
IU .509 .333 .700

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
Cincinnati and Houston etc isn’t terrible. Sure it’s not the power 5 but to say it’s terrible is an old man take.
I didn't say terrible, I basically recognized that it is not Power 5, and they're not. Not sure what recognizing a lesser league as lesser makes it an "old man take" but they are a lesser league. They have teams or players that ocasionally can be a top team or player, but in general they are lesser. Houston was a good team last season because of Sampson, SMU was middle of the pack B1G at best as was Memphis, the rest would have put up records like Nebraska and NU. Saying otherwise is ignorant.

Mostly true but KU shot better than IU across the board. Efficiency IS the key across the board, and IU does need to shoot better. That won't come from one new player joning the team, but has to be team improvement.

2 pt. % 3 pt. % FT %
KU .536 .361 .717
IU .509 .333 .700
That’s what I said. Did you not read the whole post? It was our efficiency on 2s. Plus our rebounding. And I never said one player and we have up to 4 or 5 new ones coming, so to say efficiency wont come up is short sighted. That’s like saying no player will improve or no new player is better. I bet they will be better.

I didn't say terrible, I basically recognized that it is not Power 5, and they're not. Not sure what recognizing a lesser league as lesser makes it an "old man take" but they are a lesser league. They have teams or players that ocasionally can be a top team or player, but in general they are lesser. Houston was a good team last season because of Sampson, SMU was middle of the pack B1G at best as was Memphis, the rest would have put up records like Nebraska and NU. Saying otherwise is ignorant.
You are so dismissive of that conference. It’s not the ACC for sure. Why not say defense? Winning defensive player of the year in any D1 conference is stellar. That’s being dismissive and disrespectful. Those occasional teams have been better than us.

Reactions: GeorgeStrait IU
You are so dismissive of that conference. It’s not the ACC for sure. Why not say defense? Winning defensive player of the year in any D1 conference is stellar. That’s being dismissive and disrespectful. Those occasional teams have been better than us.
Yep. And the Big Ten performance in the last 2 tournaments speaks to why we should get over the idea that we are a superior conference. Unlikely that the conf is getting 7 or more teams in next year. The portal has changed things.

That’s what I said. Did you not read the whole post? It was our efficiency on 2s. Plus our rebounding. And I never said one player and we have up to 4 or 5 new ones coming, so to say efficiency wont come up is short sighted. That’s like saying no player will improve or no new player is better. I bet they will be better.
Also, there’s this perception that good teams need to be shooting 38%+ from 3 and because of that IU needs a complete overhaul in personnel to compete. But only 2 teams shooting over 37% made the sweet 16, neither of which made the elite 8 (Purdue/Gonzaga).

plus, I think there were 3 or 4 sweet 16 teams that shot worse than IU

Also, there’s this perception that good teams need to be shooting 38%+ from 3 and because of that IU needs a complete overhaul in personnel to compete. But only 2 teams shooting over 37% made the sweet 16, neither of which made the elite 8 (Purdue/Gonzaga).

plus, I think there were 3 or 4 sweet 16 teams that shot worse than IU
It’s about efficiency. You take and make the shots you are good at.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT