ADVERTISEMENT

Archie's plan?

Tegray1

Senior
Sep 18, 2015
A lot of people are delusional that Archie will get a 4th year if he doesn't make the NCAA next year. Fred Glass can call it a rebuild but he is really not in charge the Board is. That being said, shouldn't Archie be looking at 2 transfers instead of another 2 freshmen?

We have 1 schollie and depending on transfers will have more. Our sophomore class of Smith, Durham, and Moore aren't getting it done. CAM can't wait on Race, Jake, and Damezi to develop. He doesn't have the time. He needs a shooter or 2 and a Big. Al and Smith are bench players.

Rob
Devonte
Hunter
Trayce
Davis

Reactions: troylw
Immediately eligible shooter as a Grad Transfer, Juco, or Freshman. Archie needs to win more games next season and make the NCAA Tournament.

Reactions: IUgradman
A lot of people are delusional that Archie will get a 4th year if he doesn't make the NCAA next year. Fred Glass can call it a rebuild but he is really not in charge the Board is. That being said, shouldn't Archie be looking at 2 transfers instead of another 2 freshmen?

We have 1 schollie and depending on transfers will have more. Our sophomore class of Smith, Durham, and Moore aren't getting it done. CAM can't wait on Race, Jake, and Damezi to develop. He doesn't have the time. He needs a shooter or 2 and a Big. Al and Smith are bench players.

Rob
Devonte
Hunter
Trayce
Davis
It’s been a couple weeks now but the last time I saw Hunter walk across the floor he still had a limp and does not look right.
I know next season is 6 months away but it looks like he is still not right.

No more videos of him working out either.

It’s been a couple weeks now but the last time I saw Hunter walk across the floor he still had a limp and does not look right.

I look at what Chris Mack did over at Louisville. Led them to the tournament in year 1. And his recruiting class blows away our recruiting class. They have 3 or 4 studs in that class.

Holtman is 2 for 2 in making the tournament. He has some good young guards, and he has Carton and 2 highly rated Forwards coming in.

Archie doesnt have this same momentum. I'm not saying hes a bust. But a broken clock is a broken clock untill I see the hands move.

I look at what Chris Mack did over at Louisville. Led them to the tournament in year 1. And his recruiting class blows away our recruiting class. They have 3 or 4 studs in that class.

Holtman is 2 for 2 in making the tournament. He has some good young guards, and he has Carton and 2 highly rated Forwards coming in.

Archie doesnt have this same momentum. I'm not saying hes a bust. But a broken clock is a broken clock untill I see the hands move.
Oh wins a few of those close games during the 12 game stretch and you wouldn’t have that opinion. Also IU beat Louisville

Reactions: HoosiersChamps
fkfootball.
Tell me what stud Mack is bringing in that's any better than TJD ?
The only reason they have a class ranked so high is the size of it.
Louisville nor UK .Even got Kentucky's Mr.Basketball.
He's going to Xavier.
Louisville will be good because of what they have coming back..That'll most likely be a loss in the Yum Center next year

Oh wins a few of those close games during the 12 game stretch and you wouldn’t have that opinion. Also IU beat Louisville
I’m thrilled IU beat Louisville. However, they made the tourney and IU didn’t.

The point being made is that two other teams in similar situations to IU made the tourney and appear to be on a better course to success. Hope Archie can right the ship. Current state of IU basketball doesn’t cut it nor come anywhere close.

Reactions: BigMobe

Rob
Devonte
Hunter
Trayce
Davis

As of right now Hunter may not even play so people really need to quit putting him in the starting lineup. Without a couple of major impact spring recruits next year looks very grim. I am not sure if Archie gets how much the pressure is going to heat up on him but he is coaching for his life next year. If he tanks and get a fourth year that year will be very toxic and recruiting will hit a brick wall. IMO next year is make or break for him.

I don't think he ever suits up for Indiana. I don't know why people are expecting him to come in next season and blow up.
I don't have any type of inside information, but IU fans need to be cognizant of the fact Hunter was sent to the Cleveland Clinic for his leg/blood condition. To me, that says his condition is extremely serious and not something he's likely to bounce back from quickly. As much as I hope he's able to contribute next season, I don't have high hopes. I feel terrible for the kid.

If my math is correct. IU was 7-4 in games decided by 3 points or less. They were 5-2 in games decided by 2 points or less. We were pretty good in close games.

As of right now Hunter may not even play so people really need to quit putting him in the starting lineup. Without a couple of major impact spring recruits next year looks very grim. I am not sure if Archie gets how much the pressure is going to heat up on him but he is coaching for his life next year. If he tanks and get a fourth year that year will be very toxic and recruiting will hit a brick wall. IMO next year is make or break for him.
absolutely

If my math is correct. IU was 7-4 in games decided by 3 points or less. They were 5-2 in games decided by 2 points or less. We were pretty good in close games.

I would agree, with this year's team, we were probably more likely to turn a close W into an L, than vice versa. Just not a tough team. How can FL, Lville, WSU, MSU and some others always seem to find "tough" guys and we don't have any. I'm hopeful that with time RP and AD will become tough guys, but damn, we need a Quinn Buckner type that will get on fellow players if they are not giving it their all. I really respected Marshall yesterday, as he sat 2 guys in the first few minutes for screwups and totally agreed with Dakich that IU needs more of that.

Rob
Devonte
Hunter
Trayce
Davis
Archie’s plan: get shoe lifts...

Boy these callers on the DD show are not happy at all with Archie. Just furious with him. If he is already losing the fan base like this I do not see how he gets a fourth year in there is no tournament next year. Next year might already be toxic but the fourth year would be beyond toxic.

Boy these callers on the DD show are not happy at all with Archie. Just furious with him. If he is already losing the fan base like this I do not see how he gets a fourth year in there is no tournament next year. Next year might already be toxic but the fourth year would be beyond toxic.
I'd say he lost 1/4 of the fan base for his lack of in game adjustments and the losing streak.. anything goes crazy next year, he will easily lose 1/2 of the fan base...then at that point- the clock is just ticking on when he gets fired.

You can only listen so much to the fans. The fans would fire the coach every other year and kick half the players off the team at the same time if they don't meet expectations.

Question: Would it be any different today if they had beaten OSU and lost in the first round of the tournament? Some fans would see it as progress. Others, including some who seem to be anti-IU all the way, would still be unhappy and calling for him to be fired.

It is more productive to see what he does next. Who leaves, who they add and what the team looks like going into next season. That's a fair opportunity to get it turned around. If nothing changes and it falls apart again next season he probably does not survive, so some will be very happy.

Reactions: hoosierraven
You can only listen so much to the fans. The fans would fire the coach every other year and kick half the players off the team at the same time if they don't meet expectations.

Question: Would it be any different today if they had beaten OSU and lost in the first round of the tournament? Some fans would see it as progress. Others, including some who seem to be anti-IU all the way, would still be unhappy and calling for him to be fired.

It is more productive to see what he does next. Who leaves, who they add and what the team looks like going into next season. That's a fair opportunity to get it turned around. If nothing changes and it falls apart again next season he probably does not survive, so some will be very happy.
except the fans are what make IU what it is.....so you do have to listen to the fans because once they stop showing up...the board pays attention.

Yes. When you are 12-2 and your NET is in the Top 25 and you collapse and miss the NCAA. All he needed to do this year was make the NCAA.

In short, yes it would be different. Making the NCAA was a reasonable goal for the year and clearly would have been progress because it's a clear and definitive line. One we didn't cross. Plus that loss to OSU, with everything on the line, and the way they got down so big, showed a lack of heart.

I'd say he lost 1/4 of the fan base for his lack of in game adjustments and the losing streak.. anything goes crazy next year, he will easily lose 1/2 of the fan base...then at that point- the clock is just ticking on when he gets fired.

What about all the slow starts we had to overcome constantly? It was almost every game ..I mean, how did we have so many slow starts, and then get back in so many games, especially without any adjustments?

Did you hear someone say "in game adjustments" once, thought it sounded cool and are just repeating it to sound like you know something? lol ..........

Reactions: kkott
According to Jeremy Price, there is a plan in place, and has been for some time. From today's H-T:

A year ago, the only real drama of note was whether Langford was going to be a Hoosier or not.

This year, there are recruits, transfers, grad transfers and current players about whom there is the same question.

None of this comes as a shock to Miller, per se, as he practically predicted as much during a roundtable with members of the press in April of 2017.

“Our expectation is to do what we do, which is find a way to create a culture from Day 1, then this current team has to facilitate the future teams,” he said at the time. “Then Year 2 or 3, you’re going to see massive turnover, you just are. There’s graduation, there’s again the NBA and maybe after that first year certain philosophies or families or kids that didn’t fit you. You always have to be ready for that year of turnover.”​

Reactions: hoosierraven
What about all the slow starts we had to overcome constantly? It was almost every game ..I mean, how did we have so many slow starts, and then get back in so many games, especially without any adjustments?

Did you hear someone say "in game adjustments" once, thought it sounded cool and are just repeating it to sound like you know something? lol ..........
getting players to play hard after the game has started isn't an in game adjustment I'm referring to, but thanks for your feedback guy.

Ya know for a little guy with all those likes...I was hoping for a better jab than that.

It wasn't the matter of winning or losing the OSU game that is the problem.

It's the fact for something like the 18th game in a row the team wasn't ready to play when the game began. I have never ever ever seen another team with that exact problem.....in 50 years of watching college basketball.

So....fast forward to the St. Francis game.....behind 6 points at HT......then yesterday's game---9 points behind 10 minutes in, 7 points behind at HT. Unreal

According to Jeremy Price, there is a plan in place, and has been for some time. From today's H-T:

A year ago, the only real drama of note was whether Langford was going to be a Hoosier or not.

This year, there are recruits, transfers, grad transfers and current players about whom there is the same question.

None of this comes as a shock to Miller, per se, as he practically predicted as much during a roundtable with members of the press in April of 2017.

“Our expectation is to do what we do, which is find a way to create a culture from Day 1, then this current team has to facilitate the future teams,” he said at the time. “Then Year 2 or 3, you’re going to see massive turnover, you just are. There’s graduation, there’s again the NBA and maybe after that first year certain philosophies or families or kids that didn’t fit you. You always have to be ready for that year of turnover.”​

Damn.....good find.

This has been my take.

I understand why some would say a coach should get 4 years to at least give him the chance to coach his own recruits. And I also understand that there are risks associated with firing coaches too quickly.

But I just don’t think the environment exists for Archie to be given a pass on 3 middling (at best) seasons. Maybe that’s not fair to him. But it’s the reality, IMO. People aren’t going to stand for it. And the lasting damage (financially and otherwise) to the program would be too much to withstand.

Glass has already been hearing open scrutiny from Trustees about patience not being unlimited. It doesn’t take too much reading between the lines to infer that Archie has one more year to produce a winner.

I agree. Fred will be gone before they make the call on Archie is he doesn't get in the NCAA next year.

This has been my take.

I understand why some would say a coach should get 4 years to at least give him the chance to coach his own recruits. And I also understand that there are risks associated with firing coaches too quickly.

But I just don’t think the environment exists for Archie to be given a pass on 3 middling (at best) seasons. Maybe that’s not fair to him. But it’s the reality, IMO. People aren’t going to stand for it. And the lasting damage (financially and otherwise) to the program would be too much to withstand.

Glass has already been hearing open scrutiny from Trustees about patience not being unlimited. It doesn’t take too much reading between the lines to infer that Archie has one more year to produce a winner.

Rob
Devonte
Hunter
Trayce
Davis
If Archie takes 2 transfers, are you going to allow him another year of grace while they sit out? Or, if they are grad transfers, are you going to allow their replacements in 2020 time to mature and allow Archie more time to build a program?

We need talent and we need it as soon as we can get it so in 2 - 3 years, we aren't depending on grad transfers and one and done players to boost our talent.

Transfers are nice if you have an unused scholarship and there are no recruits available that you want around for the next 4 years. A grad transfer costs you nothing late in the process. A transfer that has to sit out a year better be an upgrade to the roster and better than a kid you are recruiting in the following year.

Archie is recruiting players he wants. He said it would take time. Too many people weren't listening or didn't understand why he said that. Last year was a courtesy flush of the senior class. This year has limited scholarships available, but 2 good players coming in so far. We hopefully will get an upgrade in talent when the 2020 class replaces Green and Davis. Then we will have Crean's last recruiting class to pass through.

I understand why Archie made an effort to retain Crean's commitments. He may have been better off letting 2/3 go. Time will tell.

I am glad Archie isn't repeating the mistakes that Crean made. Crean offered a kid and likely woke up the next day and wondered why he couldn't keep his mouth shut. Why wouldn't low talent kids like Jobe, April, Priller, and Gelon jump on a chance to play for a school 2 levels beyond their skill level? As near as I can tell, Archie only offers a kid he wants. The move to get Race a year early was excellent on paper and will start paying off a year later than expected.

We will have to suffer through people that don't have the patience and vision of how to create a sustainable program. Shortcuts have a cost. I'm glad Archie is using sound judgement.

Reactions: ams66
He needs grad transfers to get in the tournament now. Like Louisville and OSU did with their new coaches. You don't get to lower the expectations. This belief that you need years to get into the tournament is a croc. What % of the offense did PU lose? There is no defending the collapse this year. You can cry unfair all you want. He makes 3 plus million a year for a reason. Taking 5 freshmen was poor scholarship management then. Hunter was a bad break which is why he is getting another. He is coaching at a school that is easier to win at than Dayton now.

If Archie takes 2 transfers, are you going to allow him another year of grace while they sit out? Or, if they are grad transfers, are you going to allow their replacements in 2020 time to mature and allow Archie more time to build a program?

We need talent and we need it as soon as we can get it so in 2 - 3 years, we aren't depending on grad transfers and one and done players to boost our talent.

Transfers are nice if you have an unused scholarship and there are no recruits available that you want around for the next 4 years. A grad transfer costs you nothing late in the process. A transfer that has to sit out a year better be an upgrade to the roster and better than a kid you are recruiting in the following year.

Archie is recruiting players he wants. He said it would take time. Too many people weren't listening or didn't understand why he said that. Last year was a courtesy flush of the senior class. This year has limited scholarships available, but 2 good players coming in so far. We hopefully will get an upgrade in talent when the 2020 class replaces Green and Davis. Then we will have Crean's last recruiting class to pass through.

I understand why Archie made an effort to retain Crean's commitments. He may have been better off letting 2/3 go. Time will tell.

I am glad Archie isn't repeating the mistakes that Crean made. Crean offered a kid and likely woke up the next day and wondered why he couldn't keep his mouth shut. Why wouldn't low talent kids like Jobe, April, Priller, and Gelon jump on a chance to play for a school 2 levels beyond their skill level? As near as I can tell, Archie only offers a kid he wants. The move to get Race a year early was excellent on paper and will start paying off a year later than expected.

We will have to suffer through people that don't have the patience and vision of how to create a sustainable program. Shortcuts have a cost. I'm glad Archie is using sound judgement.

I even saw speculation he wont play again. Hopefully just frustrated nonsense

Rob
Devonte
Hunter
Trayce
Davis

Rumor overheard at bill bobes pizza (the 3rd best bobes pizza place) in washington...

Tim garl is being fired and replaced by van pastor man. Instead of rehab, van will be offering thoughts and prayers to injured hoosiers.

That's the plan. That's it.

Reactions: coachv jr
Good post, Bud..

He needs grad transfers to get in the tournament now. Like Louisville and OSU did with their new coaches. You don't get to lower the expectations. This belief that you need years to get into the tournament is a croc. What % of the offense did PU lose? There is no defending the collapse this year. You can cry unfair all you want. He makes 3 plus million a year for a reason. Taking 5 freshmen was poor scholarship management then. Hunter was a bad break which is why he is getting another. He is coaching at a school that is easier to win at than Dayton now.
By year three you should not have to be relying on grad transfers. That is what you do in the first year. I can think of two current freshman we probably should not have taken and he should of gotten a transfer or a grad transfer last year. Instead it seems like in year three we are starting all over again.

Reactions: Tegray1

f Archie takes 2 transfers, are you going to allow him another year of grace while they sit out?

How many honeymoon years does he get? By year three he should be showing good progress and making the NCAA. When you make 3.5 million you do not deserve a three year honeymoon. Holtmann is two for two on the NCAA.

Reactions: Tegray1
fkfootball.
Tell me what stud Mack is bringing in that's any better than TJD ?
The only reason they have a class ranked so high is the size of it.
Louisville nor UK .Even got Kentucky's Mr.Basketball.
He's going to Xavier.
Louisville will be good because of what they have coming back..That'll most likely be a loss in the Yum Center next year

Williamson is a freaking stud. Dead Eye Shooter. Igiehon is a beast in the middle. And David Johnson is a 6"5 guard that I would take over Franklin and any guard on our roster. They have 5 recruits in the top 100.

Mack is good. On and off the court.

Rob
Devonte
Hunter
Trayce
Davis
No insult intended but you are delusional if you think IU will do anything less than give Miller most of his contract if not all. I could argue 20 things but rather just look at IU history in both BB and FB....you wont like what you see if you want Miller gone after three. It COULD happen....nothing is absolute...but IU does not operate the way you hope. Sorry...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT