ADVERTISEMENT

Archie.....

I’m not paid nor in charge of making solutions. And neither are either of you and not sure your input on a message board carries much weight with the administration. What I do know is that Brad Stevens nor Chris Beard are taking the Indiana job. Sure, I have my short list of wishful candidates in the event the job opens up and fear it’s going down that path, but I’ll wait until it’s time to cross that bridge.
So you don't have a solution and don't know everything, got it.

He's far from a "proven" commodity but given our current circumstances I'd take a really long hard look at Mike Lewis...

Butler has had some good luck taking flyers on Assistant Coaches (although theirs were all internal hires)...

Who knows maybe Mike is the next Brad S.???

I’ve been a fan of Michael Lewis ever since he was at Jasper. But his stock went even higher with me when he defended himself to RMK during a game. Guy’s got onions.

That’s because what’s ailing our basketball program goes deeper than the coach.

It isn’t going to start getting better until enough people — most especially Scott Dolson and others in the administration — realize that and institute a course of corrective actions with that understanding.

You’re far from alone. But it’s been wishful thinking all along.

Nothing from the past 3 seasons should have given anybody confidence that we were on the cusp of turning a corner. But people want it to be the case so badly that they have become impenetrable to any arguments to the contrary.

What progress was made during those 3 seasons was so slight that we had to argue over it. Genuine improvement is self-evident.

Your last point about genuine improvement being self evident is a good one. There have been incremental improvements in the analytics, which provides some hope for us stats geeks, but it doesn't change the fact that it's not translating in wins the way it should. I'm even mostly disappointed in most wins because of one concern or another rearing it's head.

As far as recruiting, Archie has gotten a lot of the kids that I really wanted. This year I was all in on Geronimo before I even knew he was an IU target. He looked to me like the kind of late bloomer that Chris Beard would nab and be All Big 12 as a soph. I also loved Galloway and thought he was criminally under rated. Last year he got Trayce and I think Franklin is going to be terrific. Obviously there have been some disappointing misses, but that's mostly guys that are still in high school and wouldn't make a difference yet anyway. Dawson Garcia and Aaron Henry would be nice to have right now, but for the most part recruiting has been fine.

Hunter's lack of development and Brunk's injury put a hurt on the 20-21 ceiling, but it's Al and Rob that are turning the floor into a sink hole. It's one thing for me (as a fan) to be optimistic about those two turning a corner this season, but I don't see them every day in practice. Archie and staff had to know that we were in real trouble this year with those two cats eating up backcourt minutes.

Anyway, it's just one game and trying not to overreact, but I've been preaching patience to myself and that "it's just one game" ever since the inexplicable beat downs from ISU and FW in year 1. At some point they're going to have to string together some on-court evidence that continued patience might be rewarded. I still think they could be good this year, but mostly because the time has passed for sucking. Al is about to graduate as the first 4-year player in IU history to fail to crack the AP Top 10 at any point in their career. Sadly, he's yet to even crack the AP Top 20. At some point it's just unacceptable to keep finding excuses for why IU can't win in basketball.

We would be a much better program if we kept him. Heck he keeps a
Program like Houston in top 10
First, IU couldn't have kept him even if they wanted to. Second, IU NEVER should have hired him. He was a known cheat when IU hired him. His tenure at IU was when I reached my lowest level of enthusiasm for IU basketball. I watched the games and hardly cared if IU won. I was waiting for the cheating scandal and Sampson, true to his nature, cheated. As much as Davis was over his head and I hated Crean's style of play, the Sampson era was the worst in my life. I've not had as much enthusiasm for IU basketball as I do now since Knight was fired. Knight's era being the golden age of IU basketball.

First, IU couldn't have kept him even if they wanted to. Second, IU NEVER should have hired him. He was a known cheat when IU hired him. His tenure at IU was when I reached my lowest level of enthusiasm for IU basketball. I watched the games and hardly cared if IU won. I was waiting for the cheating scandal and Sampson, true to his nature, cheated. As much as Davis was over his head and I hated Crean's style of play, the Sampson era was the worst in my life. I've not had as much enthusiasm for IU basketball as I do now since Knight was fired. Knight's era being the golden age of IU basketball.
Iu basketball has turned into just another program. It isn’t even a top program in big ten anymore let alone a national power. It’s sad how far this program fell.

you realize IU self reported Sampson right? If we don’t tell the ncaa he made phone calls nothing would have ever happened. Have a few final fours and prob a championship by now as well.

Reactions: Mr.IU and bsmitty08
I've not had as much enthusiasm for IU basketball as I do now since Knight was fired.

I’ll never understand why. The product we’re being presented is consistently poor to middling. And it’s not as if we know there’s a big wave of better days on the way.

For me, it was when Crean started showing recruiting momentum. There was a distinct sense that our long nightmare was about to end and we’d once again be relevant and competitive. And, to some extent, we were - not as much as I’d have liked and certainly not in a lasting way. But we had some success...which was quite a welcome relief after the Capobianco era.

But now? I’ve gotten to the point where I’m numb to the losing, the anemic offense, the lack of reliable shooters, the careless guard play, the bricks from the stripe, etc. And I can’t put into words just how much I hate that feeling. And it’s a helpless one, too — because the people in charge seem to have the same bizarre outlook you do.

Last edited:
you realize IU self reported Sampson right? If we don’t tell the ncaa he made phone calls nothing would have ever happened. Have a few final fours and prob a championship by now as well.
I’m glad they did. He was a liar and a cheat. He should never have been hired and what happened should have been anticipated. It was anticipated.

Last edited:
Reactions: Spartans9312
Is this TIC???

Donavan just started with the Bulls.
Brad is gone. Period. Has been since CTC yrs.

Neither are happening.

COVID has wrecked the finances of professional sports (MLB is in bad shape) and currently doing the same to college sports. Buying out a couple yrs of one of the biggest P5 bball contracts in the country isn't going to happen anytime soon.
I, for one, won't miss 'pro' sports.

Reactions: birdforbogey
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT