ADVERTISEMENT

Archie shouldnt survive this season.

I usually think a coach should have the opportunity to put a roster together of his own recruits.

I wouldn't have believed that I would turn on Miller this early, especially with all of the injuries, but I think I've been officially flipped to the dark side.

I like so much about Archie, but now I'm thinking back to the twinges of doubt that crept in after the Fort Wayne drubbing last season.

Realistically, you've probably got to give him more time, but I no longer believe that the extra time will be anything more than lost time.
You think last year with the worst back court in the conference with the worst senior class in many years that finished 6th and .500 in the conference was Archie's fault?

What happened this year makes it difficult to judge any coach and especially a second year coach with one recruiting class.

Archie's success will be determined on how he recruits and what he does with the players he has brought here. He may fail or be wildly successful. It is too early to know. His chances improve greatly with a class of TJD, Brooks and Franklin. BTW, I like Franklin a lot.

Archie is not Crean. Don't expect Archie to fail like Crean.

You think last year with the worst back court in the conference with the worst senior class in many years that finished 6th and .500 in the conference was Archie's fault?

What happened this year makes it difficult to judge any coach and especially a second year coach with one recruiting class.

Archie's success will be determined on how he recruits and what he does with the players he has brought here. He may fail or be wildly successful. It is too early to know. His chances improve greatly with a class of TJD, Brooks and Franklin. BTW, I like Franklin a lot.

Archie is not Crean. Don't expect Archie to fail like Crean.

Probably a bit of an overreaction on my part out of disgust in watching this team play.

As far as last season goes, I very much liked the way the team improved defensively. That said, I thought Archie was a great bet for Big Ten Coach of the Year heading into the season. I was very high on Morgan way early and I still can't believe what happened to Robert Johnson. The Big Ten was a train wreck last year and 9-9 was a failure imo. Deron's injury played a role, but they were mostly putrid even when he was healthy.

It was year 1 though and I loved the recruiting. Really, I've loved almost everything except the basketball part.

I can't break down a game like some posters can, but I recognize pitiful when I see it. I get all of the excuses too, I really do. In fact I'm an excuse maker not an excuse hater!

Hopefully the MSU win turns the corner, but the win at Breslin actually makes those other games before even more disgusting. Slumps happen in sports though, so I'm still interested to see what comes next. My Archie pom-poms are just packed away for now though.

I can change my mind though, even on the internet, but Arch will need to win me back at this point that's all... not a big deal.

Probably a bit of an overreaction on my part out of disgust in watching this team play.

As far as last season goes, I very much liked the way the team improved defensively. That said, I thought Archie was a great bet for Big Ten Coach of the Year heading into the season. I was very high on Morgan way early and I still can't believe what happened to Robert Johnson. The Big Ten was a train wreck last year and 9-9 was a failure imo. Deron's injury played a role, but they were mostly putrid even when he was healthy.

It was year 1 though and I loved the recruiting. Really, I've loved almost everything except the basketball part.

I can't break down a game like some posters can, but I recognize pitiful when I see it. I get all of the excuses too, I really do. In fact I'm an excuse maker not an excuse hater!

Hopefully the MSU win turns the corner, but the win at Breslin actually makes those other games before even more disgusting. Slumps happen in sports though, so I'm still interested to see what comes next. My Archie pom-poms are just packed away for now though.

I can change my mind though, even on the internet, but Arch will need to win me back at this point that's all... not a big deal.
Last years roster was years in the making. Graduation and the expected early entries made it important for Crean to have replacements or high valued recruits ready to contribute. We never replaced Yogi at the point. OG left and no replacement was recruited. Bryant's departure was not a surprise and there was no replacement for him. Post play fell to Davis and others that were forced to play the post. We had to depend on kids playing out of position or not prepared for their roles.

Crean brought in McSwain and Gelon while still having Priller on the roster. Instead of talent that would have been good experienced players last year. Crean took non-D1 players because they were available and he had no other prospects. He tied up scholarships that could have been used to help later. Newkirk wasn't a starting PG, but Crean had no backup plan or ability to recruit a better option. Archie inherited a roster of too many underachievers and low talent

I knew the year minus Bryant, JBJ and OG would be really bad with Crean as the coach. Crean had 2 years to reload and didn't. Finishing over .500 and .500 in the conference without Davis was a very good job regardless of the conference strength. We certainly didn't have 6th place talent.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT