ADVERTISEMENT

Archie Miller

Mar 4, 2012
What is your opinion on him? I know you all hate Calipari, but he was talking in an interview and he said if he was an AD, Archie Miller would be his 1st call right now

Miller has had success at Dayton and it would take the right job to move him. He's only 38. If you think about that and he had success, you may not have to worry about a coach for 30 yrs.
Indiana is hanging in by a thread in the elite status, mostly from Knights tenure.
Brad Stevens isn't leaving Boston.
Your thoughts?

Reactions: mazz and jake7769
What is your opinion on him? I know you all hate Calipari, but he was talking in an interview and he said if he was an AD, Archie Miller would be his 1st call right now

Miller has had success at Dayton and it would take the right job to move him. He's only only 38. If you think about that and he had success, you may not have to worry about a coach for 30 yrs.
Indiana is hanging in by a thread in the elite status, mostly from Knights tenure.
Your thoughts?
I think everybody here would like him even if not their first choice and everybody likes his wife.

I'm not sold on Archie Miller based on fit. He appears to have talent as a coach, but looking closely at his style, I don't think he is the best fit. Maybe I am wrong.

He's getting attention from others. Illinois will have interest. It would suck to high heavens to see him build a powerhouse while IU spun its wheels. I've always respected IU, to be honest, tired of seeing Wisconsin, MSU, occasionally tOSU and Michigan being THE program in the B1G. It's like football domination isn't enough.
Possibly miss on a young successful coach could hurt. In a couple of years Pastner could be another. He won 70% at Memphis and was ACC CoY this season. IU is a brand that can move coaches. Every year of Crean and the like moves it closer to a has been. Time to pull the plug on Tom. He tried and stabilized it but has reached his ceiling as far as reaching for elite status. IU needs to be in the hunt every year for a NC. A place elite players want to attend (even OAD).

He's getting attention from others. Illinois will have interest. It would suck to high heavens to see him build a powerhouse while IU spun its wheels. I've always respected IU, to be honest, tired of seeing Wisconsin, MSU, occasionally tOSU and Michigan being THE program in the B1G. It's like football domination isn't enough.
Possibly miss on a young successful coach could hurt. In a couple of years Pastner could be another. He won 70% at Memphis and was ACC CoY this season. IU is a brand that can move coaches. Every year of Crean and the like moves it closer to a has been. Time to pull the plug on Tom. He tried and stabilized it but has reached his ceiling as far as reaching for elite status. IU needs to be in the hunt every year for a NC. A place elite players want to attend (even OAD).

Partner is dirty and was run out of Memphis. No thank you

I'd be as excited for the future of the program since 1980 when Isaiah came to town.

Archie checks all the boxes.

It's not a guarantee but he would have a chance to build us into a monster for 25 years like his brother has done.

Look at what Miller has done relative to the history of Dayton. Every year his seasons have gotten stronger the longer he's at the program. Including enduring some insane adversity. Has finished first or second in his conference the last three years after a two year rebuild.

There's a reason why he's at the top of every AD's list.

I'd be as excited for the future of the program since 1980 when Isaiah came to town.

Archie checks all the boxes.

It's not a guarantee but he would have a chance to build us into a monster for 25 years like his brother has done.

Look at what Miller has done relative to the history of Dayton. Every year his seasons have gotten stronger the longer he's at the program. Including enduring some insane adversity. Has finished first or second in his conference the last three years after a two year rebuild.

There's a reason why he's at the top of every AD's list.
Isiah came to town in 1979.

After we sift through the candidates that aren't actually even candidates..... Bennett, Marshall and A. Miller are the 3 I could look at as great hires. After that, I don't see much in the way of an upgrade.

You would think he'd end up at NC State since he went to school there.

Geeze people quit selling ourselves short. You may get turned down by the hot chick if you ask her to prom but you have to ask. I would be surpised if most posters got laid back in high school with this mindset. Most likely Donovan says no but I say its possible. I say the next person on the list should be either A. Miller or Holtman, only skipping Marshall because he would require Donovan money and I am not sure he is worth it. Its not that we have to save money but we cant sit here for another 9 year rebuilding process. If he cant get it done in 5 or 6 years then its time to cut bait and move on. Im not saying we need to win a championship in 6 years but at least a potential deep run or 2 and not missing the tourney half the time.

Miller has had success at Dayton and it would take the right job to move him. He's only 38. If you think about that and he had success, you may not have to worry about a coach for 30 yrs.
Your thoughts?
Archie and Gregg Marshall are my top 2 realistic choices.

I would love to have Archie but something tells me he will wait till Matta is gone and go to tOSU. Hope I am wrong. Assuming Glass has the common sense to offer.

Archie Miller has 9-6-5-4-3 conference losses in his past 5 seasons. For a young coach that is the right direction to be going in and it shows he has gotten comfortable at the helm and it isn't just a few random stars. Good sign.

Basketball family….grew up within the Big Ten area- or at least close enough to have had it on his radar. Good signs.

Against program expectations? I'd say he has done certainly no worse than above average. Dayton has been a basketball program for a long time but they are having as much or more success with Archie leading them, including getting to the Elite 8 one year and going 15-3 in conference this season.

Against top opponents? Miller is 7-7 against the Top 25 while at Dayton. That is pretty solid. He also has some wins over Big Ten teams in that span, including a win over Iowa last year (and close losses to Nebraska and Northwestern this year).

I think he would need a few years to adjust to the level of competition in the Big Ten, but I do think he would probably have a chance to be a success over a period of years. I'm not sure he is the perfect fit style-wise, but he could probably succeed for the most part.

Marshall, Archie Miller, Holtmann, Alford are realistic candidates that would take the IU job.

I'm not saying Holtmann is bad but what is with him being on peoples list? I think its the Brad Stevens effect rubbing off onto him somehow. The guy has never won a conference he has been in. This is his 3rd season at Butler and he has yet to get out of the first weekend of the tourney. Again, he may end up proving to be better as the years go on but what about his current historical success or lack thereof leaves people interested in him? Indiana doesn't have to settle for "what if's", they should be able to get a proven commodity.

Holtmann is an upgrade from Crean.

That's where I think my opinion differs. Not so much that Holtmann is worse/equal or better but more so about not wanting to just find someone, anyone better. To me this next hire is critical due to the swing and misses on the last 3. With each hire we fall further and further into the abyss and I don't know if this program can handle another go-round of a bad hire. We need to make the next one a right one. If we lock into a 5-6 year deal with Holtmann, then we are going all in on something that is merely "an upgrade from Crean." To me, I would rather we get it right for the long haul instead of just making a hire to rid ourselves of the nightmare we're in. With Crean, we have a lame duck and we can continue to await the right coach. Now....would I want Holtmann over a Crean extension? AB-SO-LUTELY!

That's where I think my opinion differs. Not so much that Holtmann is worse/equal or better but more so about not wanting to just find someone, anyone better. To me this next hire is critical due to the swing and misses on the last 3. With each hire we fall further and further into the abyss and I don't know if this program can handle another go-round of a bad hire. We need to make the next one a right one. If we lock into a 5-6 year deal with Holtmann, then we are going all in on something that is merely "an upgrade from Crean." To me, I would rather we get it right for the long haul instead of just making a hire to rid ourselves of the nightmare we're in. With Crean, we have a lame duck and we can continue to await the right coach. Now....would I want Holtmann over a Crean extension? AB-SO-LUTELY!

Would you agree that Holtman or Archie Miller would be better in game coaches, coach the value of possession of turnovers, and also coach better defense than Crean? I'm sure they could recruit to the level of Crean if not better. You give either one of those guys IU's talent level this year I think they are at least sweet 16 or beyond. Thats just my thoughts. Im willing to give either one a try to find out.

Holtmann and Archie Miller are BOTH in the NCAA Tournament with Zero McD AA, while Crean got blown out in the first round of the NIT with 2 McD AA and "IU had the most talent in the NIT" according to ESPN last night. Holtmann beat Crean and IU this year on a neutral court.

Would you agree that Holtman or Archie Miller would be better in game coaches, coach the value of possession of turnovers, and also coach better defense than Crean? I'm sure they could recruit to the level of Crean if not better. You give either one of those guys IU's talent level this year I think they are at least sweet 16 or beyond. Thats just my thoughts. Im willing to give either one a try to find out.

No. Archie yes but Holtmann, no. Too small of a sample size to know. What I see from his sample size isn't impressive. If he continued to build upon this and improve then yes, I would agree but that has yet to be proven. That is the problem with Holtmann. That and he almost lost to Crean.

No. Archie yes but Holtmann, no. Too small of a sample size to know. What I see from his sample size isn't impressive. If he continued to build upon this and improve then yes, I would agree but that has yet to be proven. That is the problem with Holtmann. That and he almost lost to Crean.
yeah I somewhat agree. I probably have Archie before Holtman now. Dayton has a tough first round matchup. I think if Butler makes at least sweet 16 then you have to give Holtman a look and maybe move him in front of Archie based on being an Indiana guy. I know sweet 16's arent awesome but its good for a program like Butler. You stated above about the Brad Stevens rubbing off on him, that cant be a bad thing for sure.

yeah I somewhat agree. I probably have Archie before Holtman now. Dayton has a tough first round matchup. I think if Butler makes at least sweet 16 then you have to give Holtman a look and maybe move him in front of Archie based on being an Indiana guy. I know sweet 16's arent awesome but its good for a program like Butler. You stated above about the Brad Stevens rubbing off on him, that cant be a bad thing for sure.

First and foremost, what Stevens and Holtmann do behind close doors is none of our business. It's 2017 and we live in a progressive world.

I digress, I was referring to peoples opinion of Stevens was somehow making its way into their opinion of Holtmann. I would need a Butler trip to the title game in order to move Holtmann ahead of Miller. Notice Miller's progression each season in regards to losses and conference record/finishes to go along with an Elite Eight. Add the pedigree (brother) and the approval of every other NCAA coach who mentions him and I find Archie to be one of the best options with Marshall, outside of Stevens and Donovan.

2012–13 Dayton 17–14 7–9 11th
2013–14 Dayton 26–11 10–6 T–5th NCAA Elite Eight
2014–15 Dayton 27–9 13–5 T–2nd NCAA Round of 32
2015–16 Dayton 25–8 14–4 T–1st NCAA Round of 64
2016–17 Dayton 24–7 15–3 1st

Reactions: BigNutsIUFan
First and foremost, what Stevens and Holtmann do behind close doors is none of our business. It's 2017 and we live in a progressive world.

I digress, I was referring to peoples opinion of Stevens was somehow making its way into their opinion of Holtmann. I would need a Butler trip to the title game in order to move Holtmann ahead of Miller. Notice Miller's progression each season in regards to losses and conference record/finishes to go along with an Elite Eight. Add the pedigree (brother) and the approval of every other NCAA coach who mentions him and I find Archie to be one of the best options with Marshall, outside of Stevens and Donovan.

2012–13 Dayton 17–14 7–9 11th
2013–14 Dayton 26–11 10–6 T–5th NCAA Elite Eight
2014–15 Dayton 27–9 13–5 T–2nd NCAA Round of 32
2015–16 Dayton 25–8 14–4 T–1st NCAA Round of 64
2016–17 Dayton 24–7 15–3 1st
Fair enough, I think it can be fair/unfair to only look at NCAA records as I can remember in the 2011 game against Pitt that Butler should have lost that game. There was some really crazy bleep that happened in that game in the last 20 seconds or so. Basketball gods were certainly shining down on Stevens that day. Heck, you take Dayton as well on that 2013 run its the same thing. Archie has more pedigree but trending in the NCAA in wrong direction.Im not sure about saying title game or bust for Holtman though.I think they did a disservice for both Wich St and Dayton by pairing each other in the 1st round this year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT