ADVERTISEMENT

Ballhandling.

assists are passing, not ball handling.

Wilt Chamberlain led the NBA in assists.

he was not a great ball handler.
Ballhandling is dribbling AND passing, or it would just be called dribbling.

We'll use your definition .. it doesn't matter. You're still wrong ..

He also dribbled into his spots, dribbled out of trouble, dribbled into plays and dribbled the ball down the court and was an effective dribbler ... while you're an ineffective driveler.

Last edited:
Reactions: Victorbmyboy
He's not a natural, pass first type PG. Nothing wrong with that. He's a very good basketball player. But per the comment I responded to...he's not near the passer that Xavier is.
Which is surprising because he was a facilitator in high school. JHS didn't shoot it that well in high school, especially from 3, and was really Montverde's 3rd or 4th scoring option.

Reactions: kkott
Ballhandling is dribbling AND passing, or it would just be called dribbling.

We'll use your definition .. it doesn't matter. You're still wrong ..

He also dribbled into his spots, dribbled out of trouble, dribbled into plays and dribbled the ball down the court and was an effective dribbler ... while you're an ineffective driveler.
The goofs try to compare today’s game with the 50/60s. Game is way different. Imagine Wilt in todays game. Would he still be the dominant force? I cringe every time I see a post that compares those 80s and 90s type offenses. Double post multiple screens to get some un athletic kid open.

The goofs try to compare today’s game with the 50/60s. Game is way different. Imagine Wilt in todays game. Would he still be the dominant force? I cringe every time I see a post that compares those 80s and 90s type offenses. Double post multiple screens to get some un athletic kid open.
Wilt Chamberlain was a world class athlete, an Olympic hopeful I believe in Track and Field. He's easily a transcendental athlete that would have been the best in any era he played in.

Wilt Chamberlain was a world class athlete, an Olympic hopeful I believe in Track and Field. He's easily a transcendental athlete that would have been the best in any era he played in.
I get that but would his skill set be used differently? We don’t know but some skills transcend and some don’t. The game has changed drastically since then. I know it’s an unpopular take.

I get that but would his skill set be used differently? We don’t know but some skills transcend and some don’t. The game has changed drastically since then. I know it’s an unpopular take.
Watching Wilt play and seeing the type of athlete and physical specimen that he was, there's little to no doubt in my mind his skill set would have been developed to fit in whatever era of basketball he played. He wasn't just "tall". I think that's a negative connotation that gets thrown around too much when you look at some of the old greats who played out of their era.

Guys like Oscar, Magic, Wilt, Kareem, etc would have been great in any era of basketball.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
Watching Wilt play and seeing the type of athlete and physical specimen that he was, there's little to no doubt in my mind his skill set would have been developed to fit in whatever era of basketball he played. He wasn't just "tall". I think that's a negative connotation that gets thrown around too much when you look at some of the old greats who played out of their era.

Guys like Oscar, Magic, Wilt, Kareem, etc would have been great in any era of basketball.
I can agree with that.

in Wilt's day, you couldn't travel, double dribble, and palm the ball, as much as you wanted to.

they actually called floor violations back then, even if a lot looser than college or HS.

some of today's stars would struggle to see the court back then, because they'd get called for floor violations all the time.

today's players not only travel or double dribble every possession under the old rules, but literally travel and/or double dribble multiple times every possession.

they travel and double dribble on the catch, where they fumble the ball, pick it back up and dribble again, while taking a couple steps off the catch as well, then "handling" the ball, then again on the stop they take a couple steps without shooting or passing, fumble the ball again, and pick it back up.

that was also pre Shaq, when you couldn't just shove or back your defender out of the way like an offensive tackle, if he was guarding you. (the Shaq rule).

you also didn't have that beyond ridiculous "no guarding/no chargeing zone" circle under the basket we have now. (one of the worst rules in all of sports)..

the defenses were also much more compressed inside.

Wilt would thrive in today's game.

quicker than Shaq, faster than Shaq, just as strong, with great touch inside.

today's game does have far more great shooters though.

Reactions: Crayfish57
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT