ADVERTISEMENT

Apparently he thinks this is OK

They both present unnecessary security risks?

Just guessing.
Both of them are/were free to use personal phones for personal matters. I’d recommend this President not do it, but there is no rule against it - and I’m certain other Presidents have done it. He should never use it for classified discussions.

Both of them are/were free to use personal phones for personal matters. I’d recommend this President not do it, but there is no rule against it - and I’m certain other Presidents have done it. He should never use it for classified discussions.
Since he's using it to talk to "outside advisers," I'd say he'd be better served not to do it at all. There's a reason they gave Obama a special Blackberry.

If he only used it to chat with friends and family, it wouldn't really matter, but since he's (presumably) talking policy, that's murkier.

They both appear to be nongovernment-controlled methods. (Colin Powell said he also used private servers, by the way.)
Incorrect. HRC was free to use her private phone and private email for private business.

I’ve explained how Powell’s and Clinton’s use of email was totally different as well.

Reactions: JamieDimonsBalls
Since he's using it to talk to "outside advisers," I'd say he'd be better served not to do it at all. There's a reason they gave Obama a special Blackberry.

If he only used it to chat with friends and family, it wouldn't really matter, but since he's (presumably) talking policy, that's murkier.
Like I said, I agree he shouldn’t. However, he’s free to talk about private matters over his private phone. Of course, given the vulnerabilities of a private phone, and the fact that he’s President, he should know his conversations might not remain private.

You left a big gap between "personal matters" and "classified discussions." Not all government business is "classified."

Also, if Trump makes a spontaneous off the record call, how would it ever get classified?

Did you even read the description of these calls in the linked article? Don't sound much like personal calls.

Powell and Clinton were the same in the only way that ultimately matters: they used a non-government account for official business.
Once again, technology was different, policies were different, Powell only did it when he didn’t have access to his NIPR email outside the office (technology limitation) and he had a SIPR account for classified communications. For HRC, technology allowed her to have access to NIPR all the time, policy at that required official business be conducted via her government account (which she never obtained), and she never obtained a SIPR account either which ultimately led to classified information on her private, unauthorized email server.

You left a big gap between "personal matters" and "classified discussions." Not all government business is "classified."

Also, if Trump makes a spontaneous off the record call, how would it ever get classified?

Did you even read the description of these calls in the linked article? Don't sound much like personal calls.
I left no gap. He shouldn’t use a private phone for government business either.

Other Presidents have used personal phones for personal calls. I do admit trusting them not to expose classified information more than I trust this guy.

I read the entire article.

and she never obtained a SIPR account either which ultimately led to classified information on her private, unauthorized email server.
This keeps getting repeated, but I've never seen it confirmed. The fact that her private account received a relatively tiny amount of classified information suggests that she made use of other processes when discussing classified information on a regular basis.

I know this is a big thing for you, and I don't want to rehash it, so I'll just fall back on what I said: ultimately, the real problem with the private server is the same as the real problem with Powell - public business on a private account. Various mitigating factors might differ between the two, but they ultimately made the same fundamental error.

Reactions: iu_a_att
This keeps getting repeated, but I've never seen it confirmed. The fact that her private account received a relatively tiny amount of classified information suggests that she made use of other processes when discussing classified information on a regular basis.

I know this is a big thing for you, and I don't want to rehash it, so I'll just fall back on what I said: ultimately, the real problem with the private server is the same as the real problem with Powell - public business on a private account. Various mitigating factors might differ between the two, but they ultimately made the same fundamental error.
I’ve linked reporting that explicitly said she never had a SIPR account. I’ve also explained that, in itself, is not a problem because she can opt to read printed copies (don’t save the trees) and be orally briefed of classified information. However, those two options aren’t always available while traveling and it very likely led to a staffer sending her classified information via her unauthorized and unclassified system.

There actually was no error on the few occasions that Powell conducted official business via AOL (can’t recall exactly which email service it was) because at that time the policy was that it was acceptable for if unable to access official email. Technology limitations meant it was going to happen. It happened for me. I had a flip phone for my official phone outside of work. However, doing so with classified information was strictly prohibited. Technology and policy had changed significantly by 2008. That’s when I got my first government Blackberry.

I’ve linked reporting that explicitly said she never had a SIPR account. I’ve also explained that, in itself, is not a problem because she can opt to read printed copies (don’t save the trees) and be orally briefed of classified information. However, those two options aren’t always available while traveling and it very likely led to a staffer sending her classified information via her unauthorized and unclassified system.
Actually, I don't think you have. I think you've linked various (well-meaning) people concluding (or assuming) that she didn't have a SIPRNet account. Just to be technically accurate about it.

There actually was no error on the few occasions that Powell conducted official business via AOL (can’t recall exactly which email service it was) because at that time the policy was that it was acceptable for if unable to access official email. Technology limitations meant it was going to happen. It happened for me. I had a flip phone for my official phone outside of work. However, doing so with classified information was strictly prohibited. Technology and policy had changed significantly by 2008. That’s when I got my first government Blackberry.
You're confusing policy violation with error. I'm saying that ultimately, when it comes down to what each of them did that was a mistake, it was using a private account for government business. The details differ between the two, and I don't blame either one for the decisions they made, but in hindsight, that was the fundamental flaw at the center of it all, and it was the same flaw for both.

Actually, I don't think you have. I think you've linked various (well-meaning) people concluding (or assuming) that she didn't have a SIPRNet account. Just to be technically accurate about it.

You're confusing policy violation with error. I'm saying that ultimately, when it comes down to what each of them did that was a mistake, it was using a private account for government business. The details differ between the two, and I don't blame either one for the decisions they made, but in hindsight, that was the fundamental flaw at the center of it all, and it was the same flaw for both.
Yes I have.

It was not the same flaw at all. I don’t get how you don’t get what was acceptable and what wasn’t acceptable, but I’ve failed to explain it in a way you can understand. It’s not worth trying any longer. Although you absolutely should blame her for what she did because it was wrong in numerous ways, HRC is out of the picture as a Presidential contender. At least, we should all hope so.

Yes I have.
Well, if you linked anything confirming that, then you've since deleted the posts, because they don't show up in a search. We'll have to agree to disagree unless you can provide a link, because I've looked - hard - for anything confirming that statement, and I can't find anything.

It was not the same flaw at all. I don’t get how you don’t get what was acceptable and what wasn’t acceptable, but I’ve failed to explain it in a way you can understand. It’s not worth trying any longer. Although you absolutely should blame her for what she did because it was wrong in numerous ways, HRC is out of the picture as a Presidential contender. At least, we should all hope so.
I don't think you're the one explaining poorly; I think I am. Because you seem to be talking around my (intended) statement, instead of directly in response to it. I agree there are various details that are different, but I think they still (as individuals) both made the same fundamental core error, which was doing government business on a non-government account. Everything that happened as a result of that to both of them was ultimately caused by that singular decision. I'm not saying all that happened to each was the same; I'm just saying the fundamental error that caused it all was the same.

That’s true. They aren’t the same at all, but it is a good reason Trump shouldn’t do it even so. That presumes Trump could think that logically. He can’t.

Trump thinks logically and is not reckless. After all, he stated that while he’s in Russia, he assumes he’s being recorded-after having hookers piss on the bed in his room that he didn’t stay in, since he didn’t spend the night in Russia, even though he did. Besides, what’s reckless about a married man banging hookers without using protection? Nah, he’s good. No security risk at all using a cell phone.o_O

Trump thinks logically and is not reckless. After all, he stated that while he’s in Russia, he assumes he’s being recorded-after having hookers piss on the bed in his room that he didn’t stay in, since he didn’t spend the night in Russia, even though he did. Besides, what’s reckless about a married man banging hookers without using protection? Nah, he’s good. No security risk at all using a cell phone.o_O

After having survived his personal Vietnam and near-fatal heal spurs, this is a nothingburger

Well, if you linked anything confirming that, then you've since deleted the posts, because they don't show up in a search. We'll have to agree to disagree unless you can provide a link, because I've looked - hard - for anything confirming that statement, and I can't find anything.

I don't think you're the one explaining poorly; I think I am. Because you seem to be talking around my (intended) statement, instead of directly in response to it. I agree there are various details that are different, but I think they still (as individuals) both made the same fundamental core error, which was doing government business on a non-government account. Everything that happened as a result of that to both of them was ultimately caused by that singular decision. I'm not saying all that happened to each was the same; I'm just saying the fundamental error that caused it all was the same.
Last try at it. Email systems were inadequate during Powell’s time. They weren’t usually accessible outside the office. Policy specifically authorized unclassified government communications via personal email. Because of this it was sometimes necessary (and authorized) for Powell to do some government business via his personal account. It was not routine. Powell had a NIPR account that he used when he could. Powell himself initiated significant upgrades to DoS’ unclassified email system because it was inadequate and not up-to-date. By the time HRC became SecState, the technology was much improved and DoS email system was accessible outside the office on travel - even on her government Blackberry. Official federal policy was that ALL unclassified government business was to be done via unclassified government email systems. HRC herself informed DoS employees that this was the policy - except for her (she left that part out). She did ALL unclassified DoS business (and some highly classified - though whether she herself knew about that or was just astonishingly ignorant is up for debate) via her personal email system which she had deliberately set up to avoid using government systems in blatant violation of policy.

Powell didn’t make an error. Clinton made much more than an error - and did it purposely.

Last edited:
Reactions: 76-1
Last try at it. Email systems were inadequate during Powell’s time. They weren’t usually accessible outside the office. Policy specifically authorized unclassified government communications via personal email. Because of this it was sometimes necessary ((and authorized) for Powell did some government business via his personal account. It was but not routine. Powell did have a NIPR account that he used when he could. Powell himself initiated significant upgrades to DoS’ unclassified email system because it was inadequate and not up-to-date. By the time HRC became SecState, the technology was much improved and DoS email system was accessible outside the office on travel - even on her government Blackberry. Official federal policy was that ALL unclassified government business was to be done via unclassified government email systems. HRC herself informed DoS employees that this was the policy - except for her (she left that part out). She did ALL unclassified DoS business (and some highly classified - though whether she herself knew about that or was just astonishingly ignorant is up for debate) via her personal email system which she had deliberately set up to avoid using government systems in blatant violation of policy.

Powell didn’t make an error. Clinton made much more than an error - and did it purposely.

Part of the Trump-Clinton argument works. Co has suggested in the past that the private email server allowed Clinton to escape FOIA. Trump's phone would do the same.

Part of the Trump-Clinton argument works. Co has suggested in the past that the private email server allowed Clinton to escape FOIA. Trump's phone would do the same.

It would, this is where you hit the gray areas though. If a Chelsea or a Don Jr. called the parents to talk about the grandkids or to have a personal heart to heart for some parental advice, I believe there should be an avenue to do that. The office of President is isolating as it is, I think they should be afforded some level of privacy. Say you are someone like Chelsea and (God forbid) you lose a pregnancy. I would think that Mom would be one of the first people you would want to talk to. That conversation should have a way of occurring without being an obtainable record.

At some point you have to have a little trust in the people running government, at least until they s andow that you cannot.

It would, this is where you hit the gray areas though. If a Chelsea or a Don Jr. called the parents to talk about the grandkids or to have a personal heart to heart for some parental advice, I believe there should be an avenue to do that. The office of President is isolating as it is, I think they should be afforded some level of privacy. Say you are someone like Chelsea and (God forbid) you lose a pregnancy. I would think that Mom would be one of the first people you would want to talk to. That conversation should have a way of occurring without being an obtainable record.

At some point you have to have a little trust in the people running government, at least until they s andow that you cannot.

I think you are right, we have to let the President be a normal human being as well. Private email, messaging, and phone are good ways of doing that. Our history indicates that every president will try to use them to circumvent FOIA. All candidates run on "openness" and all presidents rule by something entirely different. I don't have a good answer to how to have an open government and yet allow the family exclusions. Trust is nice, but I don't trust presidents I have liked on this score, let alone ones I don't.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT