ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone feel our defense has regressed a bit?

IUCX9

Junior
Nov 30, 2018
Our offense is so damn good it brings tears to my eyes...

... But our defense is so, so bad at times.

Reactions: indy1203
Never thought it was that good. NEB and MD stink and they still scored 28+ on us (and MSU hung 40). We've been able to persevere regardless. But not today.

Mullen is the only power 5 talent
No reason to believe our staff can recruit or coach up any better than MAC level

Reactions: Orbit7958
Nope, frustrated and angry IU fan
Tired of settling
Tired of an AD and head coach whizzing on our shoes and telling us it’s raining
No chance it changes until the decision makers/hiring changes
Which ain’t happening,

Reactions: Mas-sa-suta
Agreed. Patterson is a mediocre QB, and we let him go off. Makes me sick.
We had a bunch of 3-long situations against them and couldn't get the stop. Just a couple early on before things got out of hand could have made a big difference.

Reactions: midwolfe
Just listened to the head coach say pass rushers would have to be a focus of this recruiting class. What’s been going on?
We have 1 defensive back of any quality
We lack depth after 3 years, his words
So if we haven’t recruited good enough players, haven’t coached kids up to be good enough, what am I missing?

Reactions: Indianaftw
Just listened to the head coach say pass rushers would have to be a focus of this recruiting class. What’s been going on?
So if we haven’t recruited good enough players, haven’t coached kids up to be good enough, what am I missing?

Time to get out your magic wand and....poof! We’ll have a bunch of 5-star linemen. Do you not think we’ve been trying to recruit them?

It’s not as easy as you suggest. It’s not for lack of trying.

I'm obviously a Michigan fan and I did not come here to gloat. Listening to the reactions by some of the Indiana players and fans, I kind of feel like you're being too unrealistic.

Indiana has done a fantastic job getting the program to this point but I think everyone forgets Michigan has so much more talent than Indiana. The players were saying they expected to win and it doesn't matter about the talent disparity, that it's about technique but that just isn't true. It sounded simultaneously like they were being too hard on themselves and not respecting Michigan. I understand you want your players to believe that but don't twist a great season by Indiana into something ugly by being delusional.

I'm obviously a Michigan fan and I did not come here to gloat. Listening to the reactions by some of the Indiana players and fans, I kind of feel like you're being too unrealistic.

Indiana has done a fantastic job getting the program to this point but I think everyone forgets Michigan has so much more talent than Indiana. The players were saying they expected to win and it doesn't matter about the talent disparity, that it's about technique but that just isn't true. It sounded simultaneously like they were being too hard on themselves and not respecting Michigan. I understand you want your players to believe that but don't twist a great season by Indiana into something ugly by being delusional.
7-6 and a trip to the Detroit Toilet Bowl is not a great season, by any standards.

Maybe missing the fact the defensive backfield, especially, is extremely young, injuries have massively piled up, and won't ever have the depth of teams like OSU and UM? That said, looking at things in a much more realistic manner, this is the best position the FB program has been in since at least the 90's, we have another solid class coming in, and these young guys are getting plenty of playing time. If you think Allen isn't doing an amazing job, you haven't been following IU football very long....

Reactions: midwolfe
7-6 and a trip to the Detroit Toilet Bowl is not a great season, by any standards.

Will you just shut the eff up and move on to the basketball board? That’s where you spend most of your time. They have a cupcake coming up and you can get all lubed up for that one. Maybe we make a post season tourney in basketball? I’m not talking the NIT either. The real tourney.

Will you just shut the eff up and move on to the basketball board? That’s where you spend most of your time. They have a cupcake coming up and you can get all lubed up for that one. Maybe we make a post season tourney in basketball? I’m not talking the NIT either. The real tourney.
I don't know what you're talking about , and neither do you.

LT is anything but a cupcake. 86 in KenPom. That would be a solid win.

LT is anything but a cupcake. 86 in KenPom. That would be a solid win.

Pu-leaaase.

That’s a home game. We lose that and Archie has big problems.

You don’t lose games like that and expect any type of good to come from the season.

Let’s be real. When IU basketball starts pumping up games at home against La Tech, you know it’s fallen off the map.

Reactions: kmathum
I don't know what you're talking about , and neither do you.

You’ve thrown in the towel on the football team. Yeah, we had a bad day today. No reason for you to shit more on it by posting that garbage.

You done with the season? Move on the basketball team and be done with it.

Pu-leaaase.

That’s a home game. We lose that and Archie has big problems.

You don’t lose games like that and expect any type of good to come from the season.

Let’s be real. When IU basketball starts pumping up games at home against La Tech, you know it’s fallen off the map.
It fell off the map when we kept Mike Davis two years too long.

LT isn’t worse than the Eastern Washington team that came into AH and beat us in 2014-15. (And we made the NCAAs that year, although we stumbled down the stretch and went one-and-done.) Beating them would definitely be a solid win.

Reactions: Rakkasan29
It fell off the map when we kept Mike Davis two years too long.

LT isn’t worse than the Eastern Washington team that came into AH and beat us in 2014-15. (And we made the NCAAs that year, although we stumbled down the stretch and went one-and-done.) Beating them would definitely be a solid win.

Meh......it was falling rapidly in Knight’s last 5 years.

IU has been basically a middle of the pack program in this conference the better part of 25 years.

I won’t get juiced beating La. Tech at home. Beat somebody that matters. Archie needs to figure it out this year.

Meh......it was falling rapidly in Knight’s last 5 years.

IU has been basically a middle of the pack program in this conference the better part of 25 years.

I won’t get juiced beating La. Tech at home. Beat somebody that matters. Archie needs to figure it out this year.
For the most part, we agree. In fact, I’d add one more year to Knight (1994-95 wasn’t great either.)

LT very well could matter—they’re the most likely autobid from CUSA (either them or WKU). They’re a good, solid team that’s anything but the Western Illinoises of the world.

For the most part, we agree. In fact, I’d add one more year to Knight (1994-95 wasn’t great either.)

LT very well could matter—they’re the most likely autobid from CUSA (either them or WKU). They’re a good, solid team that’s anything but the Western Illinoises of the world.

If IU struggles with La Tech at home (there won’t be anybody there with the students gone), it’s going to be a long year in the Big Ten. It’s sad that IU is getting amped up for a team from C-USA. But, IU basketball has been pretty pedestrian most years anyway. Not a lot to hang our hat on.

Maybe missing the fact the defensive backfield, especially, is extremely young, injuries have massively piled up, and won't ever have the depth of teams like OSU and UM? That said, looking at things in a much more realistic manner, this is the best position the FB program has been in since at least the 90's, we have another solid class coming in, and these young guys are getting plenty of playing time. If you think Allen isn't doing an amazing job, you haven't been following IU football very long....
The defensive backfield had at least 3-4 upperclassmen in the 2 deep to start the year. They can’t get the job done so yes, a turn to youth. Outside of Mullen, those guys who have been here 2-3 years are not working out either. Now we believe help is coming from a recruiting class not even as highly rated as previous years? Amazing job is pretty strong.
Bowl eligible is good. Several programs have done the same in a 3 year span, it’s not a miracle.

Nope, frustrated and angry IU fan
Tired of settling
Tired of an AD and head coach whizzing on our shoes and telling us it’s raining
No chance it changes until the decision makers/hiring changes
Which ain’t happening,

You only show up after an L...

Keep on going...

Reactions: Palmbeachhoosier

Ah....classic Muck Fichigan condescension.

I am as disappointed as anyone. Agree a lot of things need to be fixed. We do need to come up with an elite pass rusher but those are not easy to find or develop. We need another lock down corner to go with Mullin.
We need to get faster at safety and scheme better. But people must also realize that coming into the season many people rated Michigan receivers as one of the best units in the country and they made plays today. Patterson made throws. They were better than us. Back to work to beat Purdue. Then we get extra practices to clean things up and go win a bowl. I don’t care where it is but going for Florida.

Reactions: ggoblue and 76-1

Funny regression happens when not playing Rutgers or NW. You gave up 40 to MSU who has one of the worst offenses for a “good” program in the last 20 years. Rutgers held them to 27. Tom Allen is a fraud. Amazing how 7 wins can excite a fan base who has no idea what a good season even is.

Reactions: bang63
Well another hyped game, another turd in the punch bowl. We have too many Defensive Backs who can't defend passes, have no idea when the ball is in the air, and can't tackle. At least show the ability to do one of those things. Raheem Layne is a Senior. Burned twice for toucdowns. Thank God and Greyhound he is about gone. May want to think about changing his name to Toast as often as he is Burned. When Fitzgerald arrived I thought from the hype he would be good. Still waiting to see it. Matthews is good for at least one interference call a game and little else. We need to be a whole lot better than this.

Hate to put coaches in hot seats but that’s where I’d assess Womack (if Tom Allen can assess without friendship glasses on), Coach T safeties (Unless the talent is not actually there?) and in DL - has Hagen done a good job developing run stoppers & pass rushers? Shelby & corners, seem ok given little pass rush support, but not many INT’s overall.

Basically: I openly say I don’t have same faith in Womack as I do DeBoer. Wish we had DeBoer equivalent as I actually think we have good young talent to be developed.

Reactions: iueyedoc99
And yet they are borderline top 25 team And good enough to beat Nebraska who are sold every game out for about 50 years.

Our defense is opportunistic, in that we try to cause some confusion, maybe create a turnover, maybe get an occasional tackle for loss. We've actually been pretty good against the run (except quarterback scrambles, see Michigan State, Penn State, and sometimes overpursuing). But we cannot overpower any of the Big Four at the line of scrimmage nor push them back. We also do not have a DL who can disrupt off the edge and make a beeline to the QB (See Chase Young, Ohio State). So that probably comes down to more 5-stars, 4-stars. We can't blame the current team for that. I am somewhat surprised how often we are getting beat simply by other WRs outrunning our secondary, because that was supposed to be a strength. Our only chance at beating one of the Big Four was to score at least 35-42 points, not turn the ball over, and get some turnovers on defense. I'll throw in not getting jobbed by the refs, too. I think we could get by with this defense if we had that scenario against the powerful teams. We almost had it against Penn State.

"Coaching up" is usually pie in the sky. I would say the person who coaches up the most is Bill Belichick.

Agreed. Patterson is a mediocre QB, and we let him go off. Makes me sick.
Actually he's been phenomenal the past few games, with an incredible touch on throws to the corner of the end zone.

"Coaching up" is usually pie in the sky. I would say the person who coaches up the most is Bill Belichick.

I would say the Iowa, Wisconsin & Northwestern defensive staffs generally do a pretty good job of "coaching up" Wasn't JJ Watt a walk-on?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT