ADVERTISEMENT

anyone ever moved their kids in the middle of a school year?

Ohio Guy

Hall of Famer
Aug 28, 2001
it's looking more and more likely that we'll be moving from Maryland back to Ohio over Christmas break (we've lived in Maryland since early 2008). Long story short, there is a really good opportunity that sprouted up that's pretty hard to say no to. It's not set in stone, but we're strongly leaning that way.

Any way, we talked to the kids (ages 9 and 7) about it this past weekend and my son (the oldest), doesn't want anything to do with it. He got really upset and basically said that he couldn't imagine leaving his school and his friends. He's also bummed that it'd cut his basketball season short. My daughter on the other hand, wants to start packing tonight. She said she'd be sad to leave her friends too, but she sees this as a family adventure. We'd be close to a lot of family in Ohio, so that's also a plus.

Has anyone here ever had to do something like this? Any advice on how to make a transition like this as smooth as possible?

This post was edited on 11/3 12:54 PM by Ohio Guy

where in Ohio?

I have no firsthand experience to offer you (I switched schools a couple of times growing up, but they were local moves with no loss of friends).

As for your son's basketball, I would think that if you are moving to a city of any size you can find a team for him. Maybe you should consider calling around, reaching out to people/teams via facebook, etc. Around here (Cincinnati) I am almost certain that there are still open opportunities to join a basketball team/league at his age. Maybe it won't be at the competitive level he is playing at right now, but it seems to me that any opportunity would go a long way to making the move a little easier. A few years ago there were a couple of boys who moved to Cincy from Mexico and they ended up on my son's rec soccer team. These kids were, hands down, the best players on the team, and almost certainly the best in the entire league. But they had a great time that season, and it allowed them to make new friends very quickly. (Not to mention an undefeated season for the team.)

Reactions: HOOS13R
that's actually a good question...

for the most part, I'm likely able to work from home - with slight revisions to my work and responsibilities. I travel semi-regularly and am on the phone a good bit, so as long as I have access to an airport, internet and a phone line, I'm good. The great opportunity we'd likely be moving for is for my wife in Athens, but we're weighing the option of living in Columbus.

They're actually hosting our family next Monday and Tuesday...will know more then.

This post was edited on 11/3 1:51 PM by Ohio Guy

Re: that's actually a good question...

Our main office is in Columbus, and I have quite a few friends there (I'm in Cincinnati). I would be happy to send out some emails if you would like any help locating basketball opportunities for your son in the Columbus area.

Also, if you find yourself on the road between Columbus and Athens (SR 33), there is an outstanding BBQ joint in Logan, OH--Millstone BBQ. It's really, really good.

Millstone BBQ

Kids are resilient

Speaking as a teacher, kids usually adjust fairly well to moving in the midst of the year. I'm surprised either one of them are happy about it, as most kids don't like change. But you have to make the best decision for your family. For the most part, the new kids , especially at that young age, are mini celebrities in thee classroom and everyone wants to be friends with the "new kids". Unless your son is painfully shy or has some special needs, I'd be willing to be he'll be happy within the month. Especially if you have family there, they might know some kids at the school to introduce him to before school starts back after break.

I really appreciate that offer...

and will likely take you up on it once we make the official decision.

We're concerned with the kids transition, but ultimately we're trying to figure out A) do we really want to live in Athens or B) could my wife put up with the hour or so commute from Columbus. The job is perfect for her and she's really excited about just about everything about it.

thanks....

for the most part, they're both really good kids and they seem well-liked at their current school (pushing as much parental bias aside as I can ;)). I'd hope we could find a similar situation at a new school. Your input basically confirms that it's likely to happen.

The other good thing is that they're sort of used to a transient setting. Since they've started at this school, but of them have seen kids come and go. Being so close to DC, NIH and the Naval Hospital kind of makes that happen, so they kind of get the idea that sometimes people have to move.

Re: I really appreciate that offer...

Happy to help. Keep in mind that I have absolutely no idea if anyone I know might have some suggestions, but when I put myself in your shoes I knew I had to at least make an attempt once you have a better idea if you're moving and to where you will be moving.

As you probably know, Athens is in a beautiful part of Ohio. It's a lot like southern Indiana (only hillier).

I agree, having moved a lot as a kid

The OP's comments are on point. My father's Air Force career made for a lot of moves, of which a couple were mid-year. The efforts that you and your spouse put forward to talk about the move in advance, help the kids learn a bit about the new location, and help them understand that they will be expanding their overall collection of friends and not just giving up old friends for new ones, will go a long ways to helping them ease into the transition. Having attended six elementary schools, two junior high schools, and two high schools, I have always said that my roots were people and not places. At least your children won't have quite that number of changes to cope with. I salute your thoughtfulness and it seems from what you have said that your kids will do just fine.

Reactions: HOOS13R
I got transferred from Indiana to Lexington Kentucky for 3 months to work on a project. This was about 10 years ago. My kids were roughly the same age as yours.

Neither of mine were enthusiastic about the move and they struggled for about a week. But they ended up making lots of new friends and it was a positive experience for them.

I will say, the grade levels in different states can be quite different. My kids were in 4th and 6th grades and they found that the same grades in Kentucky were pretty far behind where they left off in Indiana.

Hope this helps.

Yeah, old thread. I was going to bring up my personal WITSEC experience, but it probably doesn't matter now.

-Danie...er, I mean, Hank.

Yeah, old thread. I was going to bring up my personal WITSEC experience, but it probably doesn't matter now.

-Danie...er, I mean, Hank.
We need an update and how it went. Hell, after reading the thread I'm emotionally invested. So Ohio Guy...

We need an update and how it went. Hell, after reading the thread I'm emotionally invested. So Ohio Guy...
I heard his son ran off and joined the circus shortly after they arrived in Newark (Ohio). Word is he is so good that Cirque du Soleil just signed him to a two year deal to appear in their new show Flossing Like You Mean It, a two-hour extravaganza featuring kids flossing (the dance) while simultaneously texting random people in the audience. Ohio Guy and his wife have been saving up for a flight to Reno for opening night.

it's looking more and more likely that we'll be moving from Maryland back to Ohio over Christmas break (we've lived in Maryland since early 2008). Long story short, there is a really good opportunity that sprouted up that's pretty hard to say no to. It's not set in stone, but we're strongly leaning that way.

Any way, we talked to the kids (ages 9 and 7) about it this past weekend and my son (the oldest), doesn't want anything to do with it. He got really upset and basically said that he couldn't imagine leaving his school and his friends. He's also bummed that it'd cut his basketball season short. My daughter on the other hand, wants to start packing tonight. She said she'd be sad to leave her friends too, but she sees this as a family adventure. We'd be close to a lot of family in Ohio, so that's also a plus.

Has anyone here ever had to do something like this? Any advice on how to make a transition like this as smooth as possible?

This post was edited on 11/3 12:54 PM by Ohio Guy

We’ve moved the kids several times. From southern Indiana, to Houston, to San Antonio, and then to different schools within San Antonio.

And one of the moves was in the middle of the school year (my son). That was actually his call- he was on a waiting list for a charter school, and a spot opened up halfway through the year. My daughter followed the next year (it’s a helluva lot cheaper than Montessori, because it’s free here, and it’s a better school on top of it). And my daughter hated it- went from little structure to very structured. But this year, she’s adapted, and made the honor roll even (she’s not thrilled about school like her older brother has always been).

My advice is to try to go out and do some fun things in the new place before you go there (if possible). If not, do fun stuff the first few weekends. It’ll help them get more excited about the move.

And, make sure you spend time with them and make them realize that the family bond is still really strong- sometimes stress can make you lose focus of what’s really important.

Also, if possible, let them take some ownership in some of the items/their bedrooms in the new place. They’ll be more invested in it if they feel like their opinions are being valued.

I thought my son was going to kill me when I told him we were leaving Houston. He Loved it there. Still does. But, he realizes that it was the best move for us. And, he’s adapted very well in SA.

Kids are really adaptable- especially at that age. In the age of social media & cell phones, they can still keep in touch better with their old friends. That’s a nice plus. Not sure if your kids have phones (my kids both got them at age 8, and we restricted their usage- basically there for emergencies for the first few years).

We’ve moved the kids several times. From southern Indiana, to Houston, to San Antonio, and then to different schools within San Antonio.

And one of the moves was in the middle of the school year (my son). That was actually his call- he was on a waiting list for a charter school, and a spot opened up halfway through the year. My daughter followed the next year (it’s a helluva lot cheaper than Montessori, because it’s free here, and it’s a better school on top of it). And my daughter hated it- went from little structure to very structured. But this year, she’s adapted, and made the honor roll even (she’s not thrilled about school like her older brother has always been).

My advice is to try to go out and do some fun things in the new place before you go there (if possible). If not, do fun stuff the first few weekends. It’ll help them get more excited about the move.

And, make sure you spend time with them and make them realize that the family bond is still really strong- sometimes stress can make you lose focus of what’s really important.

Also, if possible, let them take some ownership in some of the items/their bedrooms in the new place. They’ll be more invested in it if they feel like their opinions are being valued.

I thought my son was going to kill me when I told him we were leaving Houston. He Loved it there. Still does. But, he realizes that it was the best move for us. And, he’s adapted very well in SA.

Kids are really adaptable- especially at that age. In the age of social media & cell phones, they can still keep in touch better with their old friends. That’s a nice plus. Not sure if your kids have phones (my kids both got them at age 8, and we restricted their usage- basically there for emergencies for the first few years).
Where were you four years ago when Ohio Guy really needed your advice??? His son might be still flossing in the back yard in Newark rather than shacking up with the guess my weight chick from the sideshow.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
Where were you four years ago when Ohio Guy really needed your advice??? His son might be still flossing in the back yard in Newark rather than shacking up with the guess my weight chick from the sideshow.

No kidding. Posted. Then read the thread.

Which is always a mistake- yet I do it still sometimes do it.

We moved when I was in the 3rd or 4th grade. I was excited.
We also moved in my 7th grade as well.
Kids adapt better than the adults.

Last edited:
We moved when I was in the 3re or 4th grade. I was excited.
We also moved in my 7th grade as well.
Kids adapt better than the adults.
Yes, but did you ever run away and join the circus? That’s what Ohio Guy needs help with now. Try to keep up. You’re four years behind

Reactions: meridian
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT