ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone actually think we'll get Mullins?

Maybe he wants to WIN and play on the big stage! Maybe he looked at the IU squad and was wondering who was going to play the 5 next year? Maybe he went to the IU practice and did not see a future there! Maybe he looked at Woody and saw a coach who's future is ????? Maybe it is not about the money!
What are your reasons he didn’t sniff the Boilers Dipshit?

It is about the money — it has to be about market for the player. This is a problem for poverty Purdue. Painter keeps lowballing recruits and trying to rip them off by paying them less than they are worth. It’s sad.
Yeah it's sad. Winning big ten championships despite "lowballing" recruits lol. Do you ever read what the hell you write ? Painter's reputation nationally, locally etc is about as solid as oak. Those rose colored(I mean crimson) glasses you wear to bed also?

We offered significantly more than anyone else. Mid-September this started to turn. The in-home portion was not good for us compared to the competition. It was the energy of the other coaches. Which we've been on him for 2 years and everyone else 4 months. So that's understandable for a 66 yo man to not seem jacked like Hurley every time he meets with a family hes known 5x longer. Hurley won the living room.

That doesn't mean Big Pete wont come back to the table, but it's sad that we would have do that just to keep a kid home.

Reactions: iubhounds
Yeah it's sad. Winning big ten championships despite "lowballing" recruits lol. Do you ever read what the hell you write ? Painter's reputation nationally, locally etc is about as solid as oak. Those rose colored(I mean crimson) glasses you wear to bed also?
Wasn’t long ago you fools were running Porkchop out of town Bozo.

• Haha
Reactions: redrocker5
I hope you aren’t messing with us. I would think it would be a very good sign. Wouldn’t make alot of sense to come to an IU football game 4 days before committing to UCONN

Not messing with you at all. He was standing right in front of us at the Fox pregame show.

Reactions: IULouie
Good eye. He likes IU and probably just wanted to experience the big game FB atmosphere. It's easier to go to a game before he commits to UConn than after. That's of course assuming he goes to UConn, which seems to be the chatter.

Even if he commits to UConn, people won't give him too hard of a time if he is around Bloomington.

We offered significantly more than anyone else. Mid-September this started to turn. The in-home portion was not good for us compared to the competition. It was the energy of the other coaches. Which we've been on him for 2 years and everyone else 4 months. So that's understandable for a 66 yo man to not seem jacked like Hurley every time he meets with a family hes known 5x longer. Hurley won the living room.

That doesn't mean Big Pete wont come back to the table, but it's sad that we would have do that just to keep a kid home.
well, I can see Hurley's enthusiasm being infectious, but it sounds to me like he's also telling them what they want to hear with his "10 month plan". But, I think he's just saying you "could be drafted in 10 months" to get him there and then he'll play him off the bench, behind guys (potentially) like Ball, Mahaney, McNeeley and Adams.

Hard to know nowadays, but I think he's got more comp for PT at UConn than IU, but he may be behind guys at both places.

Not messing with you at all. He was standing right in front of us at the Fox pregame show.
How'd you know it was him? I can't see coming to an IU fball game 2 days before he'd commit to UConn, so if it was him, I think it's a very good sign. I've hoped all along that playing for the in state team would end up winning out and I've always thought gave us a puncher's chance even with all the UConn talk.

well, I can see Hurley's enthusiasm being infectious, but it sounds to me like he's also telling them what they want to hear with his "10 month plan". But, I think he's just saying you "could be drafted in 10 months" to get him there and then he'll play him off the bench, behind guys (potentially) like Ball, Mahaney, McNeeley and Adams.

Hard to know nowadays, but I think he's got more comp for PT at UConn than IU, but he may be behind guys at both places.
Pitching a 1 and done NBA plan is pretty easy, I would think.

"We want high level kids in our program, that have aspirations to play in the NBA. If your plan is 1 year, 2 years, 3 years, whatever...we'll help you work towards your goals. We have a proven track record with the 1 and done path. If that's your path, we'll help you get there."

And then dig in and show them how they're going to get him tons of shots within their offense, how he'll have a chance to handle the ball, show him highlights of all the NBA guards and wings they've had in the last few years, how much "better" Spencer was in their program...etc...

Its a compelling pitch right now. And taking my bias out of it, hard to argue with.

I don't think Mullins is 1 and done, never crossed my mind until UConn pitching it came up. But what anyone else things doesn't matter, if Braylon and his family want that...and UConn is giving them the impression they're the best place to help him with that... in most cases, for kids that have legitimate NBA potential, it is usually one of THE biggest decision making factors.

"We want high level kids in our program, that have aspirations to play in the NBA. If your plan is 1 year, 2 years, 3 years, whatever...we'll help you work towards your goals. We have a proven track record with the 1 and done path. If that's your path, we'll help you get there."

And then dig in and show them how they're going to get him tons of shots within their offense, how he'll have a chance to handle the ball, show him highlights of all the NBA guards and wings they've had in the last few years, how much "better" Spencer was in their program...etc...

Its a compelling pitch right now. And taking my bias out of it, hard to argue with.

I don't think Mullins is 1 and done, never crossed my mind until UConn pitching it came up. But what anyone else things doesn't matter, if Braylon and his family want that...and UConn is giving them the impression they're the best place to help him with that... in most cases, for kids that have legitimate NBA potential, it is usually one of THE biggest decision making factors.
If he is good enough to be one and done he could play at Oral Roberts. They find you anywhere.

Reactions: asindc

My pitch would go like this...

"We don't want kids in the program who put themselves above the team. For every Tyler Herro, there are 4 or more 6'4-6'5" first round guards who average 2-5ppg for a couple seasons and then fail to get that 2nd contract. Then they go over seas, playing professional in Greece or wherever, and no one remembers who they are 20 years later when the public address announcer says: 'please welcome former huskie, Daniel Hamilton'.
Better to stay in school, become a better player, help your team win and build some options than to go to the NBA too early and be discarded by the system."

There was a family member that said he was an IU lock. Then he went to Storrs and came back and said it was too far. At that point it was all just a part of the father son dream visit tour. Then there was the UK money thing that took this into a totally different tax bracket. Hurley stepped in and matched that. Then there was the clandestine visit in Bloomington, that I assume was about NIL and there have been rumors that IU went way above what Hurley offered. Then Sept 20th. The family source went quite and then the in home visits. After he came back from his family fall break it started leaking out that it was UCONN. The family source has verified that with an apology and nothing more. So we offered more than we gave Rice and Carlyle. More than Ballo and Hurley was just short of Ballo money. So it wasn't money. It was the in home visit that swung it. Our staff and a concept of what might be versus a winning staff that has put 5 perimeter players in the draft in 2 years. In the end he was too good of a player to land in a long recruitment in our current state.
You nailed it. In the end it was UConn’s offense and better personal relationship with Hurley.

Reactions: YOTHN and Lucy01

I would show him a video of all the 6 2 white 1 and done guards the last 30 years. 2 seconds later, then we would talk about getting an education and making some good nil money

I would show him a video of all the 6 2 white 1 and done guards the last 30 years. 2 seconds later, then we would talk about getting an education and making some good nil money
I do think something that feels like it often might be overlooked is the "cache" of being a former IU player from IN. It can open doors for you far beyond college and bball, and is a great advantage that many, many players have taken advantage of over the years. He may be a multi-year all-star, but it can be a really huge advantage that I just don't believe is likely to come to you as a UConn player.

I do think something that feels like it often might be overlooked is the "cache" of being a former IU player from IN. It can open doors for you far beyond college and bball, and is a great advantage that many, many players have taken advantage of over the years. He may be a multi-year all-star, but it can be a really huge advantage that I just don't believe is likely to come to you as a UConn player.
any examples to back that up? will you be recognized around the state of Indiana? sure. Will you have a better chance of getting a job with Cook? probably, at the end of the day you will still have to go out and enter the working world and produce. if he is a multiyear all-star, he will probably make about 300 million the next 15 years. and only step foot in the state of Indiana once or twice a year.

It is tough to have all these natural advantages and still lose him (if that’s the case).

It hurts but let’s be honest, UConn is a few levels of basketball above us right now.

It is tough to have all these natural advantages and still lose him (if that’s the case).

It hurts but let’s be honest, UConn is a few levels of basketball above us right now.
While I agree that our play style hurts us... it's going to be tough to win recruiting battles with Danny Hurley coming off back to back national championships regardless.

He's taller than 6'2...

He's quite a lot more athletic than most would think or give him credit for...

So...

Reed Shepherd
Tyler Herro

A couple examples to use, if using a 6'3-6'5 white kid is necessary.

To that point, maybe he needs to go play for Calipari at Arkansas????

Otherwise, the cumulative success Hurley has had sending guards/wings to the NBA in the last few years would probably suffice as selling points to the Mullins family...

While I agree that our play style hurts us... it's going to be tough to win recruiting battles with Danny Hurley coming off back to back national championships regardless.
Yea, agree I’m lumping all that in. I guess we’ll see if this ends up mattering or if we can mostly portal our way to success.

Reactions: jopajackson
Wouldn’t going to IU be better for his family to be able to see him play?

Maybe, but if DH is smart, whatever NIL they cobble together for him, should come out to X and say X is what we wanted to get you... but, we know your family seeing you play is important and we estimated that's going to cost Y and we wanted to get you that extra amount, so the NIL package is actually X + Y. I'll bet they did some variation of that.

Sure, but obviously that's not at the top of his priority list. That's why Haralson hurts worse. He chose to stay home and play for a program that has been a dumpster fire for the last few years. We're not gonna win many recruiting battles with UCONN right now.

A coach with previous college coaching experience would've been able to come in with his own staff and not have to feel around I the dark for 3 years. I'll stand by this, hiring the staff of the fired coach, not at least giving the impression of intent to change culture then bumping Walsh to territorial road recruiting coach. He had zero experience and was handed the keys to the tri-state......these initial first steps were Bush league and we are fortunate to be in the situation that we can throw money at it each spring. Hoosier Hysteria looked like the same stuff. Ballo,Reneau, Mgbako, Carlyle and Rice finished tied after 20 minutes against Hatton, Goode, Leal, Cupps and Tucker.

Reactions: BigMobe and Lucy01
any examples to back that up? will you be recognized around the state of Indiana? sure. Will you have a better chance of getting a job with Cook? probably, at the end of the day you will still have to go out and enter the working world and produce. if he is a multiyear all-star, he will probably make about 300 million the next 15 years. and only step foot in the state of Indiana once or twice a year.
I said "MAY BE" a multi-year all star... but if he's not? Many examples and many I don't know about, but I would guess there are dozens of guys who have found jobs or improved business opportunities through being an IU ball player and with IU alums and fans.

A coach with previous college coaching experience would've been able to come in with his own staff and not have to feel around I the dark for 3 years. I'll stand by this, hiring the staff of the fired coach, not at least giving the impression of intent to change culture then bumping Walsh to territorial road recruiting coach. He had zero experience and was handed the keys to the tri-state......these initial first steps were Bush league and we are fortunate to be in the situation that we can throw money at it each spring. Hoosier Hysteria looked like the same stuff. Ballo,Reneau, Mgbako, Carlyle and Rice finished tied after 20 minutes against Hatton, Goode, Leal, Cupps and Tucker.
You guys are making WAAAAAAAY to big of a deal out of the flipping Hoosier Hysteria scrimmage. For one, they switched teams after about 5 minutes. If you're going to use it to claim this team sucks (which is complete bogus because it's a flipping scrimmage in a practice open to the public) at least do it accurately.

Reactions: kkott
Clearly you did not watch the whole scrimmage 🤦‍♂️😂😂

Reactions: kkott
That's the best part of all this... we got a crew on here using the scrimmage as a reason to shat on this team before they've played a real game.. and some of them didn't even f*cking watch it. 😂🤣
similar to many segments and parts of our society at the moment.

Reactions: T.M.P.
I said "MAY BE" a multi-year all star... but if he's not? Many examples and many I don't know about, but I would guess there are dozens of guys who have found jobs or improved business opportunities through being an IU ball player and with IU alums and fans.
probably the case with a ton of schools, picking a school is a business decision, individually, team expectations, NIL, future after basketball. Woodson needs to start winning on the court then he might start winning these recruiting battles.

• Love
Reactions: Lucy01
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT