ADVERTISEMENT

Anybody hearing anything.....

mushroomgod_1

All-American
Apr 9, 2012
about who is looking good or bad in summer workouts, team chemistry et al? I know what we do hear is often questionable (eg...banks/Gunn). but we do usually hearing something......Promise not to hold you to it if you do 'report'.

• Haha
Reactions: RunninRichie
about who is looking good or bad in summer workouts, team chemistry et al? I know what we do hear is often questionable (eg...banks/Gunn). but we do usually hearing something......Promise not to hold you to it if you do 'report'.
Reading this I immediately think of an injury thats about to break the news lol

It's good to see the work being done and hearing the positives, but I agree, everything should be taken with a grain of salt. Hype videos are just that, hype. And we should expect nothing but positive comments. Nobody within the program is going to say something negative during the offseason. This has become the norm season to season and it's fun. But it's not an indication of individual or team success.

Thought of a player comp for Newton, would be sweet if it played out.

Hulk sized Keith Smart.

When you dismiss what is clearly just hype, we haven’t seen that that kind of real leaping ability since Ivan Renko.

Speaking of player comps...anyone watched much of Carlyle? Not an IU player comp,but I see a little Allen Iverson in there when it comes to scoring at the rim for an undersized player and his midrange. Very quick with the ball in his hands. I really think he and Rice are going to push the ball and get easy buckets in transition.

Speaking of player comps...anyone watched much of Carlyle? Not an IU player comp,but I see a little Allen Iverson in there when it comes to scoring at the rim for an undersized player and his midrange. Very quick with the ball in his hands. I really think he and Rice are going to push the ball and get easy buckets in transition.
I didn't see that much shake and bake in Carlyle, but thought he took a lot of very tough shots, and made a good many. I was actually more impressed with Rice and his speed with the ball. I think we're going to be a better shooting team because Goode I believe immediately becomes the best shooter on the team and much better than anyone we had last year, while I think Galloway, Carlyle, Mbako, and Rice will all shoot a little better than last year. Galloway because he can go back to handling the ball less and focusing on getting good looks, Carlyle because he isn't being counted on as much as a primary scorer and can take better shots, Rice because he's another year removed from his illness and stronger (he was something like 0-22 on his last 22 3 attempts) and Mbako because he's a year older and can also improve with better shot attempts. If this team is unselfish and moves the ball to the open man, this roster will shoot much better I believe.

Last edited:
I didn't see that much shake and bake in Carlyle, but thought he took a lot of very tough shots, and made a good many. I was actually more impressed with Rice and his speed with the ball. I think we're going to be a better shooting team because Goode I believe immediately becomes the best shooter on the team and much better than anyone we had last year, while I think Galloway, Carlyle, Mbako, and Rice will all shoot better than last year. Galloway because he can go back to handling the ball less and focusing on getting good looks, Carlyle because he isn't being counted on as much as a primary scorer and can take better shots, Rice because he's another year removed from his illness and stronger (he was something like 0-22 on his last 22 3 attempts) and Mbako because he's a year older and can also improve with better shot attempts. If this team is unselfish and moves the ball to the open man, this roster will shoot much better I believe.
If you dive deep into the advanced stats, Carlyle was much better off the ball. He was asked to play some point guard last year and his efficiency numbers took a dive. I want to say he was 40+% from 3 on catch and shoot attempts. Shouldn't be too many instances next year where Carlyle is the primary ballhandler.

Agree with you on your sentiments with Rice. Like Mgbako, simple box score watching doesn't really tell the whole story with Rice and his shooting. Shot very well for a first year player, 36% from three through 80% of the season, until a horrid streak to end the year. Similar to Mgbako's horrid start last year where he eventually recovered and shot 38% from 3 in conference play on good volume.

Last edited:

Feels quite around here considering how many top 100 dudes that we’re looking at.

If you dive deep into the advanced stats, Carlyle was much better off the ball. He was asked to play some point guard last year and his efficiency numbers took a dive. I want to say he was 40+% from 3 on catch and shoot attempts. Shouldn't be too many instances next year where Carlyle is the primary ballhandler.

Agree with you on your sentiments with Rice. Like Mgbako, simple box score watching doesn't really tell the whole story with Rice and his shooting. Shot very well for a first year player, 36% from three through 80% of the season, until a horrid streak to end the year. Similar to Mgbako's horrid start last year where he eventually recovered and shot 38% from 3 in conference play on good volume.
Yeah, I really think that (primary ball-handler) also hurt Galloway's shooting last year and why I think most/all of these guys shooting will rise this year. Don't expect Galloway to get back to 46%, but I think into the mid 30s. If all those guys can raise their shooting 3-5% points, and you swap Goode for XJ/Gunn, that will be a much better shooting team from 3/distance.

Reactions: LifelongIU77
Yeah, I really think that (primary ball-handler) also hurt Galloway's shooting last year and why I think most/all of these guys shooting will rise this year. Don't expect Galloway to get back to 46%, but I think into the mid 30s. If all those guys can raise their shooting 3-5% points, and you swap Goode for XJ/Gunn, that will be a much better shooting team from 3/distance.
Agree, I think our top 7-8 guys collectively are just as good as anybody else in the country. Also have the versatility to play a variety of lineups and rotations, something we were hamstrung by the last two seasons.

I didn't see that much shake and bake in Carlyle, but thought he took a lot of very tough shots, and made a good many. I was actually more impressed with Rice and his speed with the ball. I think we're going to be a better shooting team because Goode I believe immediately becomes the best shooter on the team and much better than anyone we had last year, while I think Galloway, Carlyle, Mbako, and Rice will all shoot better than last year. Galloway because he can go back to handling the ball less and focusing on getting good looks, Carlyle because he isn't being counted on as much as a primary scorer and can take better shots, Rice because he's another year removed from his illness and stronger (he was something like 0-22 on his last 22 3 attempts) and Mbako because he's a year older and can also improve with better shot attempts. If this team is unselfish and moves the ball to the open man, this roster will shoot much better I believe.
I can't help but think we have a good shot at being a top-10 team this year and getting a nice tourney seed.

I agree with most all of that. However,I do think Carlyle will handle the ball a decent amount. And yes,he was in the top 20% of players in the country on made 3's in catch and shoot situations(something that is not reflected in his 32.7% last year,and a reason why I have been saying that they will be fine as far as shooting goes) but,Rice has to sit sometime. Yes Gallo will play there some too,but I think Carlyle gets as many minutes as anyone at PG when Rice sits down. I also don't think it will hinder him shooting wise near as much as last year,when you have threats surrounding him all over the court.

Reactions: nichlee
I agree with most all of that. However,I do think Carlyle will handle the ball a decent amount. And yes,he was in the top 20% of players in the country on made 3's in catch and shoot situations(something that is not reflected in his 32.7% last year,and a reason why I have been saying that they will be fine as far as shooting goes) but,Rice has to sit sometime. Yes Gallo will play there some too,but I think Carlyle gets as many minutes as anyone at PG when Rice sits down. I also don't think it will hinder him shooting wise near as much as last year,when you have threats surrounding him all over the court.
Woody like 2 ball handlers(or as many as he can get) on the floor at all times. Thats why they are listed as combo guards. They will all handle point/shooting guard duties.

Kevin Durrant is not "jacked". I'll take a player like Durrant all day long. Patience, the season is coming soon.
Wtf are you talking about? I saw the video and made a comment(other people said the same). I didn't compare Cupps to Durant,or say that bulking up equated to wins. It was a simple observation,not a decree of his ability. Patience,stupid.

Also...if you want your point to hit home,use a player that isn't mentally soft. Durant does not qualify.

Reactions: Ty Webb iu
His measureables are on par with Donovan Mitchell. I think he ends up our version of Lu Dort.
I only say Westbrook because Newton plays off two feet when attacking the rim. Haven't really seen him play enough ...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT