ADVERTISEMENT

Any suggestions on Irish Whiskey?

patrick593

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
May 12, 2007
Columbus, OH
Just walked around the large Irish whiskey section in the Duty Free at Dublin Airport.
I'm thinking of picking something up on my way back.
Lots of people buying the redbreast 12 year, and it has nice reviews.

Anyone with some knowledge care to give a few suggestions?

Jamesens is now distilled in Cork (southern end of Ireland for those who don't
know). Do they still have their ''museum"" tour in Dublin or did they close that?

I haven't been to Dublin in about 10 years.

Jamesens is now distilled in Cork (southern end of Ireland for those who don't
know). Do they still have their ''museum"" tour in Dublin or did they close that?

I haven't been to Dublin in about 10 years.
We're going next Tuesday on the Guiness and Jameson tours. I'll have to check with the lady, she planned the trip, I paid for it

If you don't want to spend a lot, I'd go with Tullamore Dew. Prefer it to Jameson's

I do remember that Temple Bar area was supposedly near Guinness brewery.

The temple bar area is about 10 blocks from the Guinness factory. I stayed there in a hostel in that area when I backpacked through Europe about 8 years ago

Try some Paddy. The wife swears by it. She got to take part in the tasting portion during our Jameson tour on our honeymoon a few years back. Blind taste test she preferred it over all the other whiskeys.

Just walked around the large Irish whiskey section in the Duty Free at Dublin Airport.
I'm thinking of picking something up on my way back.
Lots of people buying the redbreast 12 year, and it has nice reviews.

Anyone with some knowledge care to give a few suggestions?
Redbreast 12 year old is fantastic. The last time I bought it was 6 years ago when my first son was born. It was a great choice. I don't drink anything other than beer very often these days, but I still enjoy Irish Whiskey from time to time, and it's my favorite hard liquor. Bushmill's 10 year old is my go to though for a great, affordable option.

If they're still doing the tours at the old Jameson Distillery in Dublin you have to do that. And when they ask for volunteers at the beginning, you volunteer. It's for a free tasting at the end of the tour. I did the Jameson tour right after the Guinness tour. It isn't a far walk between the two. This was in '98 though, so I have no idea if things are still the same.

Last edited:
And I've read where the head distiller at Bushmills is Catholic. Not sure if that is true or not.

I prefer Jameson over Bushmills though both are pretty good for the price. I've not tried any other Irish whiskeys.

If they're still doing the tours at the old Jameson Distillery in Dublin you have to do that. And when they ask for volunteers at the beginning, you volunteer. It's for a free tasting at the end of the tour. I did the Jameson tour right after the Guinness tour. It isn't a far walk between the two. This was in '98 though, so I have no idea if things are still the same.

They were still doing the tours as of 2006.

I have had friends do the bourbon trail and they say it is awesome. I'm planning on doing it in the next few years. Enjoy.

Not having done it myself, I would say yes unless you have a designated driver. I would want to be able to enjoy myself without worry about driving. It's not something you do every day so enjoy it to its fullest.

More so wondering if the $100 per day to have Mint Julep Tours drive us to two locations is actually worth it.
Went down a couple of weeks ago and went to a couple of the stops on the tour... not bad. I'm glad we did a 'self-guided' tour and weren't locked in for the entire day.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT