ADVERTISEMENT

Any info on possible Fall IU baseball games?

JARRODH

Benchwarmer
Gold Member
Oct 29, 2002
Biglewexpress, thought you might have some insight on who we will play or if we'll have intra-squad scrimmages open to the public. Thanks.

Biglewexpress, thought you might have some insight on who we will play or if we'll have intra-squad scrimmages open to the public. Thanks.

Practice and scrimmages are always open to the public. I believe first practice starts September 7th, probably intra-squad scrimmages on the weekends (Friday, Saturday). I'm sure there will be a press release on the fall schedule soon.

Reactions: mobilehoosier
Practice and scrimmages are always open to the public. I believe first practice starts September 7th, probably intra-squad scrimmages on the weekends (Friday, Saturday). I'm sure there will be a press release on the fall schedule soon.

Do we know what times/days practices are this weekend ? Are they still open to anyone to come watch ?

Don't know the schedule, but did go see IU scrimmage on Friday......it was open to the public...was there specifically to watch Tommy Sommer (relative), who did well. The Frosh from Cathedral also pitched well. Herron & C. Beatcheam(sp?) also pitched but had control issues. The other top Frosh pitcher is having elbow issues.

The jr college catcher, the JC CF, and the JC RHP also played (sorry I don't know names). The first two are certain contributors for next year. The JC RHP had the best stuff of anyone (90+), but had serious control issues. The CF is very fast and an excellent baserunner....didn't see enough to judge his hitting. The catcher certainly looks the part body-wise and looked pretty good on D--certainly better than Jake M.(who transferred). Again, didn't see enough to judge him as a hitter.

Didn't see the RHP who transferred from Miami. The kids all say he is a good bet as a starter for next Spring. Durham(sp?) was playing first....looked bad in the two ABs I saw, but the kids say he may start at first---said he was just in a funk on Friday. Kind of a strong stocky guy but without quickness. Bradley is also competing for 1st. I know the plan was to play Gorski in the outfield but I wonder about that with the addition of the JC outfielder--he looked like a starter to me.

Last edited:

Biglewexpress,

Could you give us any ideas as to whether IU will hold open practices or scrimmages this weekend (15th-17th) and what times? Would like to take my son up to watch. Thanks.

Don't know the schedule, but did go see IU scrimmage on Friday......it was open to the public...was there specifically to watch Tommy Sommer (relative), who did well. The Frosh from Cathedral also pitched well. Herron & C. Beatcheam(sp?) also pitched but had control issues. The other top Frosh pitcher is having elbow issues.

The jr college catcher, the JC CF, and the JC RHP also played (sorry I don't know names). The first two are certain contributors for next year. The JC RHP had the best stuff of anyone (90+), but had serious control issues. The CF is very fast and an excellent baserunner....didn't see enough to judge his hitting. The catcher certainly looks the part body-wise and looked pretty good on D--certainly better than Jake M.(who transferred). Again, didn't see enough to judge him as a hitter.

Didn't see the RHP who transferred from Miami. The kids all say he is a good bet as a starter for next Spring. Durham(sp?) was playing first....looked bad in the two ABs I saw, but the kids say he may start at first---said he was just in a funk on Friday. Kind of a strong stocky guy but without quickness. Bradley is also competing for 1st. I know the plan was to play Gorski in the outfield but I wonder about that with the addition of the JC outfielder--he looked like a starter to me.

I did not go on Saturday, but talked to someone who did. Was told the JC outfielder (name unknown) had a HR and a double. Also, Manus(?), the Miami FL transfer pitched. I was told he had real good stuff (90+) but had some control issues. Finally, the fellow I talked to liked another JC transfer (name unknown) who is competing for the 2nd place spot.

I am really liking what I am seeing and hearing about the transfers and JCs.

This weeks schedule is Thursday at 3pm , Friday at 330 and Sunday at 1230 . Saturday's ran about 2 hours . They a played a nine inning game . I would think it'll be the same each time .

Last edited:
Reactions: jmbennett
You can get a lot of this info from the IU baseball Twitter account.

Interesting you brought this up. I'm not on Twitter, but for years I had the Indiana baseball twitter account saved on my iPad. I used it religiously, following the games I couldn't make and learning about open practices. A couple months ago it deleted all of its posts and now says there is one follower and Hoosier baseball hasn't tweeted. I didn't change a thing on my end. Do you have a link or address to the Indiana Baseball twitter account that works? I check Coach Lemonis' too but it isn't as active as the Indiana baseball account. Thanks.

Interesting you brought this up. I'm not on Twitter, but for years I had the Indiana baseball twitter account saved on my iPad. I used it religiously, following the games I couldn't make and learning about open practices. A couple months ago it deleted all of its posts and now says there is one follower and Hoosier baseball hasn't tweeted. I didn't change a thing on my end. Do you have a link or address to the Indiana Baseball twitter account that works? I check Coach Lemonis' too but it isn't as active as the Indiana baseball account. Thanks.
@IndianaBase.... and what CF said above is the times this week.

Okay, what am I missing? I have been looking for info forever, and I always check the IU site and twitter feeds. Obviously, IU's site is a waste - last news article was on 7/13 about adding Lucas as an assistant. I just checked the twitter feed again for @IndianaBase and there is nothing there about the schedule this week. In fact, on the 8th, the only mention of a scrimmage was after the fact and then said another one on the following day. I see the twitter account @IUBase17 was retweeted with scrimmage info, but that account didn't say much either about the schedule, nor Lemo's feed.

I REALLY do not understand the lack of marketing/getting more info out on IU Baseball. It has surpassed IU basketball for me as my number 2 favorite.....

The twitter account just sent out Saturday at 1230 not Sunday so I guess it has changed
Yes Saturday, I didn't notice the Sunday in your original post. I plan to be there, I was there today and 2 guys stood out today. Cal Krueger, and newcomer Logan Kaletha. Apparently Logan had a stellar last week. Was something like 9 for 11, missed a cycle by a triple one day, hit a bomb to right center (more center) today. Cal was consistently 90-92, really located his pitches well, and the curve was filthy. Matt Lloyd playing 2nd (and did all summer), lots of stuff to update on.

Sounds good to me . Thanks for the updates . These early afternoon starts are rough for me . Really looking forward to Saturday .

Yes Saturday, I didn't notice the Sunday in your original post. I plan to be there, I was there today and 2 guys stood out today. Cal Krueger, and newcomer Logan Kaletha. Apparently Logan had a stellar last week. Was something like 9 for 11, missed a cycle by a triple one day, hit a bomb to right center (more center) today. Cal was consistently 90-92, really located his pitches well, and the curve was filthy. Matt Lloyd playing 2nd (and did all summer), lots of stuff to update on.
You mind if I share some of the update info you post on here to the #IUBASE twitter and Facebook fan group pages ?

Looks like Saturday is 85 and sunny and with football cancelled I don't mind the switch at all . Should be a fun day at The Bart .

Thanks. Will be there Saturday with my son and maybe a teammate or two.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT