ADVERTISEMENT

Any explanation on the penalty/no penalty?

4IUSox2

All-Big Ten
Feb 5, 2003
At 1:38 of final drive Illini called for too many men on field. I was listening on Illini Radio in car at this point. Ref mic didn’t work. Just watched the play b4 that and the subsequent play. Didn’t look like IU subbed in (but maybe I missed someone off screen). Illini clearly had some 14-15 guys on field. So penalty should have stood. Did I miss something??

Also on last drive Carpenter’s snaps were often low. Haven’t watched full replay, but Were his snaps that low all night?? If so, that’s an issue.

Illini D was as good as advertised, but IU’s D played well too it looks like. Reviewing stats, looks like Hiller and Bell need to step it up in the run game, but good to be 1-0.

No idea on that too many on the field play. had to be around 14. No way you can pick that up. We’re all still wondering because of the damn mic cutting out.

The OL is unserviceable. The run game is not sustainable, We have to figure something out. The OL being just as much an issue won’t surprise any Hoosier fans who pay attention but it’s maddening. Pretty sure we know what the main problem is.

That said, that’s a solid win last night. We did something in game 1 we didn’t do all of last year so I’ll give the OC and OL coaches a few more weeks to keep their jobs.

And, how many times have we seen a chance for a game winning drive only to shoot ourselves in the foot? We actually looked like we knew exactly what we wanted to do on that last drive and went out and did it. I’ve been watching since mallory’s last year. Seen a lot of bad football and creativeness in losing games than I care to remember. I’m not going to bitch about last night. It was a really solid win.

No idea on that too many on the field play. had to be around 14. No way you can pick that up. We’re all still wondering because of the damn mic cutting out.

The OL is unserviceable. The run game is not sustainable, We have to figure something out. The OL being just as much an issue won’t surprise any Hoosier fans who pay attention but it’s maddening. Pretty sure we know what the main problem is.

That said, that’s a solid win last night. We did something in game 1 we didn’t do all of last year so I’ll give the OC and OL coaches a few more weeks to keep their jobs.

And, how many times have we seen a chance for a game winning drive only to shoot ourselves in the foot? We actually looked like we knew exactly what we wanted to do on that last drive and went out and did it. I’ve been watching since mallory’s last year. Seen a lot of bad football and creativeness in losing games than I care to remember. I’m not going to bitch about last night. It was a really solid win.
No reason to throw Bell out with Lard Ass. They ain’t a package deal. We all know where the issue is.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
The subsequent play was again first down and not second down and the they added time back on the clock. The only time you replay a down as if it didn’t happen is when there are offsetting penalties on both teams. I don’t know what we did but I would suspect a motion penalty because we were rushing to get the play off.

I didn’t see IU substitute so not sure what happened. But yes, the basically treated it as if the play never happened. I saw the one ref between Bazelak and the line before the snap. Seemed to have put the ball in play and we snapped it when Illinois had like 15 guys on the field. Looked to me like a legit play and we should have had a 1 & 5. I didn’t think it was off setting penalties since the added 7 seconds back to the clock. If it was offsetting then they wouldn’t add time back.

Indiana did sub. Illinois then subbed. The official should then stand between the center and QB to hold the snap until the defense completes their substitution. That did not happen - so the officials screwed up. Therefore no play - replay the down. No time off the clock, etc...

Indiana did sub. Illinois then subbed. The official should then stand between the center and QB to hold the snap until the defense completes their substitution. That did not happen - so the officials screwed up. Therefore no play - replay the down. No time off the clock, etc...
That's what I thought. They allowed the play to start before the Illinois players got off the field. Correctable error.

Reactions: IU73 and UncleMark
I didn’t see IU sub so I thought it was a clear penalty, but if they did then bad mechanics by the officials. There were multiple times in the game where the Illinois players were walking off the field when subbed and Carpenter and Bazelak should’ve been sharp enough to quick snap for a free play. Ramsey would’ve nailed that stuff.

The snaps were okay most of the night but were very noticeably going low & away toward the end. I assumed it was just fatigue setting in.

Reactions: Btownboom and td75

I'll take a game winning drive against a BT team, especially butthole Bielema, any day. That was pure grit.

The ball was snapped with 13 to 14 Illini on them field. Officials are responsible for controlling this aspect of the game. We were positioned and ready for play. The official holds the QB to allow the defense to make its substitution. The official allowed the required time and then stepped away from Bazelak who snapped the ball with 3 Illini still in bounds. That referee makes the determination when the ball is ready for play. Which, he did and Illinois was not off the field. The only thing I can think of is that the other officials overruled his flag because they felt insufficient time to allow substitutions?

The ball was snapped with 13 to 14 Illini on them field. Officials are responsible for controlling this aspect of the game. We were positioned and ready for play. The official holds the QB to allow the defense to make its substitution. The official allowed the required time and then stepped away from Bazelak who snapped the ball with 3 Illini still in bounds. That referee makes the determination when the ball is ready for play. Which, he did and Illinois was not off the field. The only thing I can think of is that the other officials overruled his flag because they felt insufficient time to allow substitutions?
I didn't see where we subbed to begin with. Completion and we were running to the line to push tempo and maximize the clock.

I didn't see where we subbed to begin with. Completion and we were running to the line to push tempo and maximize the clock.

Not saying you're wrong, but just because it might not have happened within the field of view from the camera angle shown at the time, doesn't mean IU didn't sub.

I watched the replay tonight, and here is what I think happened:

IU got a first down. IU did not substitute, but referees mistakenly signaled that IU had subbed and prevented the snap. Illinois relied on the signal and brought in subs and took their time getting off the field. Then the ref got out of the way, and IU smartly snapped it.

Illinois had too many men on the field, but the refs decided that was because of their screw up, so they just cancelled out the whole play and issued a do-over.

It was crappy reffing. But, when watching it live, it was chaos, so I get it. I didn't think IU was set when they snapped it, so I was afraid they were going to flag us.

It worked out as it should.

And kudos to Allen and Baz for recognizing that they needed to burn a little clock by running the ball there at the end. Bielema should have called timeout after the QB run to save time, but he actually got outcoached in the last minute.

Reactions: 4IUSox2 and IU73
I saw it live. Matthews 100% subbed out after what was like his 4th/5th target in a row. He was totally gassed. Illinois was not given ample time to sub.

Reactions: Hoosier009
I watched the replay tonight, and here is what I think happened:

IU got a first down. IU did not substitute, but referees mistakenly signaled that IU had subbed and prevented the snap. Illinois relied on the signal and brought in subs and took their time getting off the field. Then the ref got out of the way, and IU smartly snapped it.

Illinois had too many men on the field, but the refs decided that was because of their screw up, so they just cancelled out the whole play and issued a do-over.

It was crappy reffing. But, when watching it live, it was chaos, so I get it. I didn't think IU was set when they snapped it, so I was afraid they were going to flag us.

It worked out as it should.

And kudos to Allen and Baz for recognizing that they needed to burn a little clock by running the ball there at the end. Bielema should have called timeout after the QB run to save time, but he actually got outcoached in the last minute.
I was there. IU did sub a receiver near their side of the field. It was not on camera when I watched the replay.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
At 1:38 of final drive Illini called for too many men on field. I was listening on Illini Radio in car at this point. Ref mic didn’t work. Just watched the play b4 that and the subsequent play. Didn’t look like IU subbed in (but maybe I missed someone off screen). Illini clearly had some 14-15 guys on field. So penalty should have stood. Did I miss something??

Also on last drive Carpenter’s snaps were often low. Haven’t watched full replay, but Were his snaps that low all night?? If so, that’s an issue.

Illini D was as good as advertised, but IU’s D played well too it looks like. Reviewing stats, looks like Hiller and Bell need to step it up in the run game, but good to be 1-0.
Not sure on penalty so no help there.
It will be interesting to watch Illinois D next week and see if they stop the run again. I worry they may be ok but it was easy to stop us. We will see.
Now my question. If you fire Hiller now, who is available to replace him? Why would someone be available now? How can you make an improvement at this late date?

It will be interesting to watch Illinois D next week and see if they stop the run again. I worry they may be ok but it was easy to stop us. We will see.
Now my question. If you fire Hiller now, who is available to replace him? Why would someone be available now? How can you make an improvement at this late date?
They’ve got Rod Carey as an analyst or something already.

Firing Hiller now or any time before the end of the season would be a horrible reflection on Tom Allen. Very unlikely to occur until the season concludes, if at all.

I will take a few people’s word here on this board that Matthews did come out. It certainly wasn’t within screen shot I’ve seen on replay. As mentioned when I started this thread, I was listening to Illini Radio in car at that point and even they didn’t think IU had subbed on the play. And when the Ref turned off his Mic, they, like everyone else, had no clue what the explanation was.

This rule of holding up the snap to allow the D to sub is crap IMO.
Just another result of the participation trophy mentality.

Reactions: IU Fan 1989
This rule of holding up the snap to allow the D to sub is crap IMO.
Just another result of the participation trophy mentality.
I disagree with that.

I didn’t like how slowly UI players were coming off the field at times though. A good rule for fairness can be taken advantage of strategically then.

Doesn’t the clock still run? I could be wrong there.
Unless it’s a dead ball or they’re placing it following a first down, the clock runs. Both teams substituted but the ref placed the ball with his back to the Illinois sideline, rather than looking to see if both teams had subbed in and out and cleared the field. The refs failed as a team to run that process properly, and they tried to fix it by essentially calling a “do over”. In the end, it was the right call, but it was sloppily executed by them.

Last edited:
Reactions: TMFT and Al Bino
I disagree with that.

I didn’t like how slowly UI players were coming off the field at times though. A good rule for fairness can be taken advantage of strategically then.

How is that a good rule for fairness?

If your defense isn't fast enough to get players on and off the field, why should the officials step in and interject themselves into the game?

If your defense isn't fast enough to get players on and off the field, why should the officials step in and interject themselves into the game?
The rule was put in place because offenses would quickly run on new packages and, when defenses tried to react by changing their personnel, they would snap the ball and the D would be penalized. The rule is intended to level the field, so to speak.

Reactions: Chriselli and TMFT

What Jack said.

If you go from a power I package to a 5 wide and are playing with a scripted tempo, the defense can’t reasonably be expected to anticipate that every time and it requires D subs to make the game better.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT