ADVERTISEMENT

Anxious to see Indiana offense with Tuttle at the helm

You must’ve chosen chess club or band over sports growing up. Clearly never played or coached football.

Light a fire under them? These are Big Ten athletes not kids picking flowers in a T ball game. Rah rah speeches are for the movies. I can assure you motivation is not our problem. Get a clue.
I think it's fair to say they need a fire lit under their asses. When you've got players who have 25-30+ starts under their belts, they should perform better. There should be high expectations of a group with that amount of experience.

If you are insinuating we need new blood at certain coaching positions, I concur.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Have you ever watched a Tom Allen locker room speech?

His whole MO is to "light a fire under them".

Maybe you should stick to sucking down beer for your exercise.
Every coach since the beginning of man has done some version of that. It’s football. I’m just saying you don’t suddenly make a 3 star talent a 4-5 star talent by yelling at them more. Talent can’t be coached.

I think it's fair to say they need a fire lit under their asses. When you've got players who have 25-30+ starts under their belts, they should perform better. There should be high expectations of a group with that amount of experience.

If you are insinuating we need new blood at certain coaching positions, I concur.
I could go out there and start 100 games and still not be a high school level athlete right now. Experience doesn’t equal talent. If it did Alabama would take 5th year transfers from Ball St instead of wasting their time on all of these 5 star recruits. Our talent is what it is. We have to upgrade that talent if we want better results.

A few things I am looking to see with Tuttle at the helm.
1. Will Indiana implement more read option in their offense and will Tuttle actually keep it ? If so will this open up the IU run game slowing down backside defenders actually making them honor quarterback.
2. Maybe add a little Donovan McCulley package or two with a little read option and perhaps rpo action? Gives defense a little more to look at and prepared or.
3. Will IU expand, condense or stay the same on playbook?
4. Can Tuttle find open receivers and get the ball out on time and in rhythm? I think that maybe the offense might have been a little too much for Penix and did not see open receivers in time forcing him to hold onto the ball a little longer. I know this goes against the PFF narrative from last year.
5. Does Sheridan offense look the same as before or does it change?
6. Does the oline improve or remain the same?
I understand that all of this is a work in progress. I do hope some of this has already been in progress and foundation has already been laid given Penix history. Also I understand contrary to some people’s beliefs the schedule does not really get easier but it is time for IU to put on their big boy pants and beat a MSU and a Michigan and an Ohio State. Not easy at all as Um and MSU are both winning and OSU offense looks dominant and new d coordinator looks like he has fixed somethings. Minnesota, Rutgers, Maryland and that other school all look beatable.

Me too, maybe we scratch 6 in the red zone with him! Call him TD Tuttle if he does.

Every coach since the beginning of man has done some version of that. It’s football. I’m just saying you don’t suddenly make a 3 star talent a 4-5 star talent by yelling at them more. Talent can’t be coached.
there are different kinds of motivation. one is hugs and kisses. the other is, you don't produce you don't play. or coach.

As much as I can't wait for McCulley, I don't think they should waste his redshirt so I don't want to see him take on a role every game, they should use his four games, but use them strategically. I think it would be AWESOME to see him come in for the first time against OSU, there is something to be said about them having 0 film on him when he comes in. Similar to how ND brought in Buchner last week against VT, they didn't really know how to defend him initially(though he had seen some action before VT), once they got a handle on how Buchner played they forced him into making a lot of freshman mistakes, but Buchner absolutely torched them his first drive. I think they do something like that against OSU, but unlike ND who left Buchner in the whole game, go back to Tuttle after a drive or two.

I will say, I think Tuttle will show where the problems truly lie for this offense. Penix is such a unique QB, this year he looked like a hobbled freshman with no confidence(outside of WKU), it's truly remarkable how different he has looked from 2020. Tuttle is your standard pro style QB(some mobility but he is definitely more of a pocket guy than a true duel threat). 1/10 of his throws make you cringe, but otherwise he is a pretty consistent QB, I'd put him as a lower-mid tier QB in the B1G. So we will see if the wide receivers are really not open because of poor play calling, or if Penix has just been rushing his throws/making poor reads this year.

I am hoping to see more RPO and spread offense this week simply because Tuttle has the ability to run RPO and we need to take some pressure off this O-line and prove to defenses that we can make them pay if they just load the box the whole game. The run game isn't working, Stephen Carr is fine, not a downgrade from last year with Stevie Scott, but not an upgrade either and tbh Scott's running style fit better with the O-line than Carrs. We are already incredibly thin at RB, no reason to force something that hasn't been working. Especially against a weak passing defense like MSU. I want to see them lean on the pass and then go back to the run to keepthe defense honest.
I think if he’s ready you play him. If after four games it’s become obvious he’s a program changer, you burn the shirt because he’s not going to be here five years anyway. If not, you can save the year if you want, but the odds of losing kids to injury, portal or the draft are too high now to be giving up wins trying to keep someone around for that magical 2025 season. If they’re good they’ll be in the NFL and if they aren’t we’ll have somebody better by then.

I love McCulley, but the difference in skill level from Indiana HS football to B1G college ball, without him being an early enrollee. If he were a kid from Georgia, Florida, or Texas, and he enrolled early, I would have a lot more faith that the difference in competition wouldn't get to him. He just seems like a guy that would benefit from a little more time on the bench. I want to at least give Tuttle a chance before they jump to McCulley, especially because if you do go to McCulley, Tuttle could easily enter the transfer portal(doesn't seem like something he would do, but he did transfer from Utah) and now you're down to one healthy scholarship QB
I don’t know if Jack would transfer again. My first thought was he would have to sit a year since it’s not his first transfer, but he did graduate last May so I suppose as a grad transfer he wouldn’t have to. He has two more years of eligibility after this one if I understand the COVID rules correctly, ie he has his sr. year plus a bonus year coming, and I don’t think the bonus year has to be at the same school.

The line still cannot run-block. I don’t expect any miracles from Tuttle. I hope the defense gives the Hoosiers a chance to win. and I hope Tuttle’s quick feet and good decisions prevent him from getting hurt.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT