ADVERTISEMENT

Antwaan Randle El regrets playing football...

I wouldn't let my son play football. Although us commies don't play it anyway.
BS, all I hear all my Euro buddies talk about is football. But you're right, probably none of those blokes actually played anything.

BS, all I hear all my Euro buddies talk about is football. But you're right, probably none of those blokes actually played anything.

No, no. They are running around a field falling down a lot when somebody breathes on them.

If I had kids, I'd let them play football if they really wanted to, but I'd strongly try to push them into another sport. Football's peaking right now, anyway. It's about to go on a slow decline. Human beings are just too big, fast and strong to play that sport with any modicum of safety.

If I had kids, I'd let them play football if they really wanted to, but I'd strongly try to push them into another sport. Football's peaking right now, anyway. It's about to go on a slow decline. Human beings are just too big, fast and strong to play that sport with any modicum of safety.
Test for steroids...those players will suddenly become slower..

I won't let my kids play football. My son is playing flag football though, and really seems to like it. Neither my wife nor I are big people, and my son doesn't look like he's going to be physically big enough to play meaningful football, so it's very easy for us to say no.

I won't let my kids play football. My son is playing flag football though, and really seems to like it. Neither my wife nor I are big people, and my son doesn't look like he's going to be physically big enough to play meaningful football, so it's very easy for us to say no.
Meaningful?

There is always risk, but playing through HS is a lot different than playing through college and pro.

Football is a fun, primal game. At least flag football teaches them the proper techniques before they put the pads on.

We are in the same boat. My son wants to play football so we put him in flag football. We are not going to allow him to play normal football. He enjoys soccer, baseball, and basketball so he has plenty to do. And he's only in 2nd grade so that's enough for now. So far he's been ok with it.

Meaningful?

There is always risk, but playing through HS is a lot different than playing through college and pro.

Football is a fun, primal game. At least flag football teaches them the proper techniques before they put the pads on.
If you live in Hamilton County Indiana then you have to be pretty good to play High School Football. If I had grown up here I would have been playing Left Out instead of Left Guard.

If I had boys I would let them play football, but I have girls so they run XC and track instead.

Meaningful?

Football risk seems very different than risk associated with other sports. And "meaningful" can have broad meanings of course. Very unlikely that my kid would be able to play high school football where we are. There are a lot of sports out there that he can try, and many different talents he has. Football simply isn't worth the risk for him in my opinion.

Reactions: Zizkov and IU40IU
We are in the same boat. My son wants to play football so we put him in flag football. We are not going to allow him to play normal football. He enjoys soccer, baseball, and basketball so he has plenty to do. And he's only in 2nd grade so that's enough for now. So far he's been ok with it.
My kid has really loved playing flag football. And I'm glad that he's enjoying it (and got pretty decent at it). Sports are such a big part of kids fitting in and getting to know other kids. So we're big into sports. He plays flag football, baseball, and soccer.

we're in a unique situation here in Athens.My fifth grader is a good athlete, but hasn't played football. The coach of the 5th-6th grade boys' team is a father of one of his friends and has seen him run and catch. He's talked to us - and him - about playing receiver next year. We've always told him no, but with our dumb luck, they discontinued flag football the year we moved here (he loved it in Maryland).

To compound the issue, almost all the boys in his class are on the team and during the season they all wore their jerseys to school. He started wearing his Andy Dalton jersey to sort of fit in, but he's begging and pleading to be able to play next year - it doesn't help that the coach is sort of "recruiting" him to play.

The coach swears he's never had a young kid get seriously hurt and that we wouldn't have to worry about "hard" hits at this level. Problem is, one of his friends back in Maryland got a concussion playing in a pee-wee game. The kid was in forth grade at the time!

we're in a unique situation here in Athens.My fifth grader is a good athlete, but hasn't played football. The coach of the 5th-6th grade boys' team is a father of one of his friends and has seen him run and catch. He's talked to us - and him - about playing receiver next year. We've always told him no, but with our dumb luck, they discontinued flag football the year we moved here (he loved it in Maryland).

To compound the issue, almost all the boys in his class are on the team and during the season they all wore their jerseys to school. He started wearing his Andy Dalton jersey to sort of fit in, but he's begging and pleading to be able to play next year - it doesn't help that the coach is sort of "recruiting" him to play.

The coach swears he's never had a young kid get seriously hurt and that we wouldn't have to worry about "hard" hits at this level. Problem is, one of his friends back in Maryland got a concussion playing in a pee-wee game. The kid was in forth grade at the time!

That is a tough position. If resources weren't limited, I'd get him individualized training. And if he continues to show real promise, then I'd consider putting him in at the high school level. I'd keep him out from contact for a long time. This isn't the "fun" way to go. I think there's a lot to be said about keeping kids out of contact football until they are older.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT