ADVERTISEMENT

Angus Young, Steven Tyler and me...

I FAN U

Hall of Famer
Apr 17, 2002
Somewhere out there
Seeing the American Pickers dudes find the original Aerosmith Tour bus last night, and some of the concert photos they also showed, reminded of a funny story that happened to me at an Aerosmith, AC/DC concert in late '78 or early '79. I've told it here before but the last time I did, Aruss was still the mod and driving force here. So I'll tell it again for some of you newbies. And I'll also start by saying, if your expectations of this story include a foursome with my doctor, my dentist and a misplaced rake bunker, you're in the wrong thread... That bus is bound to pass by shortly though...

So anyhoo, I got my IU degree from IPFW in Ft. Wayne because that's where the dental laboratory technician's program was. I also played on the baseball team my freshman year. Back then, when the Memorial Coliseum hosted rock concerts, they would hire a few IPFW athletes to work security. I always jumped at the chance to see some legendary bands...and get paid $50 to do it, so I probably worked about 4 or 5 concerts during that time. Anyway, the night of the Aerosmith & AC/DC concert, I happened to get placed right between the barricade and the stage, absolutely dead center.

So AC/DC, just beginning their popularity on this side of the pond, came out as the warm up band. The most notable thing (and not the point of my story) about their performance was getting absolutely drenched by Angus Young's sweat multiple times as he stood right over me bobbing his head. That dude can sweat like a thunderstorm and to this day I still hate that little bastard... After they were done, out came Aerosmith.

So a few songs into Aerosmith's concert, I turned my back on the crowd because Steven Tyler was once again right above me. As I'm looking up at him, I felt something hit my head and then land on my shoulder. I reached up and found a bra. A very nice, lacy bra; 36DD! So I looked at it for a few seconds and then looked back up at Steven Tyler. He's laughing as he's looking down at me and then starts nodding his head like "Yes, it happens, lol." So we both laughed for a few seconds as I folded up the bra and put it in my back pocket and I admittedly spent the rest of the concert trying to figure who the donor was. ;)

So the concert finally ends, night over, and I'm still standing there til most of the concert goers are gone and a guy walks up behind me from backstage, introduces himself as Aerosmith's tour manager and then asks if I'm the kid with the bra? I reached back and pulled it out and he says something like "Steven sent me out and wants to know if you want it autographed?" Heck yeah! I couldn't hand it up to the guy quick enough, lol. So off he goes with it and about 10 minutes later, he brings it back out. He's laughing as he hands it to me. So I hold it up and look at it and it says "The big ones always hurt more! - Steven Tyler" So after we both had a good laugh over it, I headed for the exit and back to my dorm. (IPFW didn't have dorms back then, but a nearby Lutheran Seminary did rent dorm rooms to probably a hundred or so IPFW students. That's where I lived all 3 years.)

This story ends tragically though, because after about 3 days being of being proudly displayed in my dorm room and being the envy of everyone there, some miserable SOB stole that sucker and I never saw it again. Bastard....

Last edited:
Seeing the American Pickers dudes find the original Aerosmith Tour bus last night, and some of the concert photos they also showed, reminded of a funny story that happened to me at an Aerosmith, AC/DC concert in late '78 or early '79. I've told it here before but the last time I did, Aruss was still the mod and driving force here. So I'll tell it again for some of you newbies. And I'll also start by saying, if your expectations of this story include a foursome with my doctor, my dentist and a misplaced rake bunker, you're in the wrong thread... That bus is bound to pass by shortly though...

So anyhoo, I got my IU degree from IPFW in Ft. Wayne because that's where the dental laboratory technician's program was. I also played on the baseball team my freshman year. Back then, when the Memorial Coliseum hosted rock concerts, they would hire a few IPFW athletes to work security. I always jumped at the chance to see some legendary bands...and get paid $50 to do it, so I probably worked about 4 or 5 concerts during that time. Anyway, the night of the Aerosmith & AC/DC concert, I happened to get placed right between the barricade and the stage, absolutely dead center.

So AC/DC, just beginning their popularity on this side of the pond, came out as the warm up band. The most notable thing (and not the point of my story) about their performance was getting absolutely drenched by Angus Young's sweat multiple times as he stood right over me bobbing his head. That dude can sweat like a thunderstorm and to this day I still hate that little bastard... After they were done, out came Aerosmith.

So a few songs into Aerosmith's concert, I turned my back on the crowd because Steven Tyler was once again right above me. As I'm looking up at him, I felt something hit my head and then land on my shoulder. I reached up and found a bra. A very nice, lacy bra; 36DD! So I looked at it for a few seconds and then looked back up at Steven Tyler. He's laughing as he's looking down at me and then starts nodding his head like "Yes, it happens, lol." So we both laughed for a few seconds as I folded up the bra and put it in my back pocket and I admittedly spent the rest of the concert trying to figure who the donor was. ;)

So the concert finally ends, night over, and I'm still standing there til most of the concert goers are gone and a guy walks up behind me from backstage, introduces himself as Aerosmith's tour manager and then asks if I'm the kid with the bra? I reached back and pulled it out and he says something like "Steven sent me out and wants to know if you want it autographed?" Heck yeah! I couldn't hand it up to the guy quick enough, lol. So off he goes with it and about 10 minutes later, he brings it back out. He's laughing as he hands it to me. So I hold it up and look at it and it says "The big ones always hurt more! - Steven Tyler" So after we both had a good laugh over it, I headed for the exit and back to my dorm. (IPFW didn't have dorms back then, but a nearby Lutheran Seminary did rent dorm rooms to probably a hundred or so IPFW students. That's where I lived all 3 years.)

This story ends tragically though, because after about 3 days being of being proudly displayed in my dorm room and being the envy of everyone there, some miserable SOB stole that sucker and I never saw it again. Bastard....

McNutt take note: THAT's an AOTF-worthy story!

Pretty funny, totally out of the blue a Ft Wayne buddy of mine who lives here in Charlotte texted me a FB post his sister had sent him about Aerosmith bailing out a bunch of fans from their Ft Wayne Show Oct 3, 1978. Obviously with all the pot smoking and mischief going on, the security at the place was lax and not doing their job.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/aerosmith-bails-out-fans-after-concert-pot-bust/

Reactions: I FAN U
Pretty funny, totally out of the blue a Ft Wayne buddy of mine who lives here in Charlotte texted me a FB post his sister had sent him about Aerosmith bailing out a bunch of fans from their Ft Wayne Show Oct 3, 1978. Obviously with all the pot smoking and mischief going on, the security at the place was lax and not doing their job.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/aerosmith-bails-out-fans-after-concert-pot-bust/

Hahaha, that's friggin awesome! I was preoccupied looking for a giant pair of unholstered mellons...

Reactions: kkott
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT