ADVERTISEMENT

Rock concert question

sdhoosier

All-Big Ten
Dec 21, 2001
So Calif
I saw this question on twitter recently and thought it would be a good one for the AOTF

__What was the biggest name group you saw in concert at the smallest venue?

I'll go first....I was 13 years old and saw Jefferson Airplane at the old Indiana Beach (Lake Shafer) ballroom on the boardwalk there. At that time IB was getting a lot of the big name bands. It was prior to stadiums becoming popular for concerts. Among other bands to appear there in the 60's were The Beach Boys, Jerry Lee Lewis, Simon and Garfunkel, The Who and Janis Joplin.

By the way the cost of my ticket.....$3.25

Here's a good article on the concert scene then...

REM at the IU Auditorium in 86 would be mine.

Lesser known now but really cool at the time would have been the Bodeans at the Poplars parking garage in 89 (I think) and the Replacements at the Union in 87 in the ballroom.

I saw this question on twitter recently and thought it would be a good one for the AOTF

I'll go first....I was 13 years old and saw Jefferson Airplane at the old Indiana Beach (Lake Shafer) ballroom on the boardwalk there. At that time IB was getting a lot of the big name bands. It was prior to stadiums becoming popular for concerts. Among other bands to appear there in the 60's were The Beach Boys, Jerry Lee Lewis, Simon and Garfunkel, The Who and Janis Joplin.

Beastie Boys at the Aragon Ballroom in CHI. Summer of ‘92.

Reactions: sdhoosier
REM at the IU Auditorium in 86 would be mine.

Lesser known now but really cool at the time would have been the Bodeans at the Poplars parking garage in 89 (I think) and the Replacements at the Union in 87 in the ballroom.
I was at that REM show and the Replacement's concert (first place I ever saw anyone slam dance). Was the Bo Dean's show part of the Taste of Bloomington? Used to be on the top floor of the parking garage that was at 7Th and College (where there's now a hotel). If so, I was at that as well.

I was at that REM show and the Replacement's concert (first place I ever saw anyone slam dance). Was the Bo Dean's show part of the Taste of Bloomington? Used to be on the top floor of the parking garage that was at 7Th and College (where there's now a hotel). If so, I was at that as well.
Thanks for the correction. I thought it was Poplars, but you're right it was there at 7th and college. Thought it was going to collapse.

That Replacements show is the only one I've ever been to where the band was maybe the drunkest of anyone in the room. We used to go see punk shows at the Patio in Broad Ripple. The Dead Milkmen was probably the only show I saw there that anyone would know. A buddy claims to have seen the Red Hot chili peppers there before Mothers Milk was released.

Good times.

Reactions: kkott and sdhoosier

Not a concert ... but ...

Jorma Kaukonen and Jack Cassidy (former guitarist and bassist for Airplane) at his ranch in Ohio at around 2/3am sitting around a campfire enjoying the smoke .... Jorma telling stories about the old days in Haight/Ashbury and playing Rev, Gary tunes.

I also saw Jorma and others live in his studio with a crowd of around 30 ..

Not exactly “big” but I saw Huey Lewis at The Palace, in Hicksville. Not sure if it’s still around but The Palace was a shitty bar that we’d go over to to drink 3.2 beer before we were 21.
Tried digging up a Lebuv and Beyond memory for you but couldn't ... lol.

I have bad memories of that place and that whole go to Ohio thing ... too many dumb ass kids died driving home.

Reactions: Hank Reardon
I saw Boomtown Rats in a small ballroom. So small that Bob Geldof could hear me yelling and told me to shut the feck up. He heard me the first time. (I wanted/requested Mary of the 4th Form)

Saw Bryan Ferry (solo tour) in a relative small auditorium in SG. One of the best concerts I have ever been too -- very intimate.

Saw No Doubt with (free) VIP tickets here in SG so I was literally right in front. Felt like a small arena after that.

Tracy Chapman at KC's Starlight Theatre -- quite an intimate sun-set setting in an open air bowl.

Last edited:
Reactions: DANC and sdhoosier
Gregg Allman or Warren Zevon at the Vogue would probably be it, but I also saw Little Feat, BoDeans & Al Stewart there as well. Recently, Dirty Knobs with only 300 people at the hi-fi. (That’s Mike Campbell of TPATH fame, for those who don’t know) saw a number of artists at the IU auditorium including James Taylor & Eddie Money besides Mellencamp, back in the day. Gordon Lightfoot at Starlight. But my favorite was probably Big Country at Clowes. I’m sure I’m forgetting someone, somewhere.

The Arlington Theater went full music venue by the mid 1980's, was a neighborhood movie theater prior. It was down the street from me and I saw several shows there, probably Megadeth and Motorhead being the biggest.

The Arlington Theater went full music venue by the mid 1980's, was a neighborhood movie theater prior. It was down the street from me and I saw several shows there, probably Megadeth and Motorhead being the biggest.

Sorry for your loss of hearing.

That is easy.

The Jackson 5 at a street dance in Whiting in the region. If I remember correctly we paid less than one dollar.

This was before they were discovered by Diana Ross at a talent show in Gary. She introduced then to Barry Gordy and the rest is history.

Saw Blue Oyster Cult at a free outdoor concert in Columbus, IN. Went to the nearby Hotel Indigo afterwards for a drink and ended up having a late night cheeseburger with Don “Buck Dharma” Roeser and another band member who shall remain anonymous because he’s married. My wife and said band member gave each other seated back rubs while Buck and I discussed our thoughts on the meaning of Don’t Fear The Reaper after paying for his martini (“just a whisper of vermouth”). On the drive home I found out the other guy gave his room number to my wife and wanted her to come “visit” him the next morning before their flight left.

• Wow
Reactions: sdhoosier and DANC
Saw the Beach Boys at the Santa Clara County Fair back when I was a very young child.

Recently saw En Vogue at the Reynoldsburg, OH Tomato Festival. They have obviously fallen on hard times....

My HS friend was in a band - he was a HS Freshman - that played at the Indiana Beach ballroom that played a couple weeks after the Who and before Janis Joplin. They were called The Crimson Fog and they played all over central and northern Indiana. They were a pretty decent local band.

Reactions: kkott and sdhoosier
Oof, this is a close second!

Despite watching Hee-Haw as a youth, I discovered Buck going back from Dwight Yoakam. And when I discovered Dwight in '86 or '87, I didn't tell my friends as we all thought country was stupid.
Same here. Guitars, Cadillacs and Hillbilly Music turned me onto country back then.

I saw Dwight in Carmel at the Palladium a while ago. Great concert. Of course, there was a fist-fight in the middle of the venue.

Also saw Emmylou Harris there and that was also a great concert.

Are you into the Mavericks?

My HS friend was in a band - he was a HS Freshman - that played at the Indiana Beach ballroom that played a couple weeks after the Who and before Janis Joplin. They were called The Crimson Fog and they played all over central and northern Indiana. They were a pretty decent local band.
I don't know why but The Crimson Fog sounds vaguely familiar to me. They ever play in Bloomington?

I don't know why but The Crimson Fog sounds vaguely familiar to me. They ever play in Bloomington?
I don't think so, but I'll ask my friend. They actually had a deal to tour with the USO - my friend had a tutor lined up. But they were all in HS and I think some of them wanted to go to college after graduating instead of touring.

in high school a group of us went to a bar/restaurant. maybe half a dozen people in there at best. the one kid's dad was a cop and told us to go there to see the band. they were called the tigers or something silly. it was literally us and just a few other people and the cure walked out. they only played for maybe 45 minutes. i guess they were practicing or something but it was amazing.

otherwise at lunch in west palm i was cutting through sunfest when i turned a corner and came right in front of a stage and bob dylan was just sitting on it by himself with is feet dangling off. i can't recall what i said. he nodded hi or something and i kept going. it was pretty shocking

Playing a loud stereo doesn't count.
ribs....

breathe-dog-denzel-washington.gif

in high school a group of us went to a bar/restaurant. maybe half a dozen people in there at best. the one kid's dad was a cop and told us to go there to see the band. they were called the tigers or something silly. it was literally us and just a few other people and the cure walked out. they only played for maybe 45 minutes. i guess they were practicing or something but it was amazing.

otherwise at lunch in west palm i was cutting through sunfest when i turned a corner and came right in front of a stage and bob dylan was just sitting on it by himself with is feet dangling off. i can't recall what i said. he nodded hi or something and i kept going. it was pretty shocking
The Cure is one of the best live acts I’ve ever seen and I’ve been to a lot of shows!! We saw them in CHI about 10 years ago @RiotFest and they were amazing.

Thanks for the correction. I thought it was Poplars, but you're right it was there at 7th and college. Thought it was going to collapse.

That Replacements show is the only one I've ever been to where the band was maybe the drunkest of anyone in the room. We used to go see punk shows at the Patio in Broad Ripple. The Dead Milkmen was probably the only show I saw there that anyone would know. A buddy claims to have seen the Red Hot chili peppers there before Mothers Milk was released.

Good times.
As a former employee of both the patio and Vogue I can confirm the chili peppers show. Probably my fave show to brag about at the Vogue would be Johnny & June Cash and the entire Carter Cash family. $40 ticket, standing only, 900 capacity. Al Green is another great show

As a former employee of both the patio and Vogue I can confirm the chili peppers show. Probably my fave show to brag about at the Vogue would be Johnny & June Cash and the entire Carter Cash family. $40 ticket, standing only, 900 capacity. Al Green is another great show
oh eppy. it'll be a distance second after next year's limp bizkit corey feldman show :)

The Buckinghams, Amboy Dukes, and REO Speedwagon at Forrest IL in the late 60’s. I couldn’t go because I wasn’t yet 16.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT