ADVERTISEMENT

Rock concert question

Same here. Guitars, Cadillacs and Hillbilly Music turned me onto country back then.

I saw Dwight in Carmel at the Palladium a while ago. Great concert. Of course, there was a fist-fight in the middle of the venue.

Also saw Emmylou Harris there and that was also a great concert.

Are you into the Mavericks?
Saw Dwight years ago at the Little Opry, not long before it burned.

The Mavericks and The Derailers were the next country bands I discovered.

Managed to see the Mavericks four times in 2022. Raul could sing the phone book to me in Spanish and I would cry like a baby…

They opened for Dwight for a stretch this summer but we couldn’t make any of those work.

Managed to see the Mavericks four times in 2022. Raul could sing the phone book to me in Spanish and I would cry like a baby…

They opened for Dwight for a stretch this summer but we couldn’t make any of those work.
I haven't seen the Mavericks yet - I need to pay attention to their tour schedule.

If you like Spanish songs, you need to see Los Lobos, if you haven't already. I have long admired them, but sort of from afar - never had any of their albums and just liked them from what I heard on the radio.

I saw them this summer in Charlotte and Oh My God.... I can't put into words how much I enjoyed that concert. Their musicianship and song-writing are so good and they act like a bunch of buddies up there just hanging out and playing music. Talk about getting into music emotionally!

Had 5th row dead center tickets at Elliot Hall of Music for Dave Matthews & Tim Reynolds. Two guys just sat there and jammed for 3 1/2 hours straight. Tim is amazing, literally never left the stage and just played for the entire time. Also had similar tickets at EHOM for Pearl Jam....had to sell them because I needed the $$$. Still one of my biggest regrets.

Another night in the early/mid nineties I was at a local music venue in the Lafayette area to see Michael Kelsey play (local legend and from what I understand one of the greatest guitar players around). Guy I was with was friends with his drummer, so we got a great stage side table and had drinks and shot the breeze with the band. A few songs in a guy comes up and sits down at our table with us. I didn't pay much attention to him. Next thing I know, Kelsey says something like, "hey Shannon, you want to join us?" The guy was Shannon Hoon (Blind Melon front man). Shannon gets up and sings with them for several songs and then comes back and has beers with us.

Had 5th row dead center tickets at Elliot Hall of Music for Dave Matthews & Tim Reynolds. Two guys just sat there and jammed for 3 1/2 hours straight. Tim is amazing, literally never left the stage and just played for the entire time. Also had similar tickets at EHOM for Pearl Jam....had to sell them because I needed the $$$. Still one of my biggest regrets.

Another night in the early/mid nineties I was at a local music venue in the Lafayette area to see Michael Kelsey play (local legend and from what I understand one of the greatest guitar players around). Guy I was with was friends with his drummer, so we got a great stage side table and had drinks and shot the breeze with the band. A few songs in a guy comes up and sits down at our table with us. I didn't pay much attention to him. Next thing I know, Kelsey says something like, "hey Shannon, you want to join us?" The guy was Shannon Hoon (Blind Melon front man). Shannon gets up and sings with them for several songs and then comes back and has beers with us.
You had to sit and listen to Dave Matthews for 3 1/2 hours?

I'm so sorry for you.

The Derailers were honky tonk kings!

Reactions: muubell
I knew someone would say it! What can I say, I'm hooked.
Probably generational. I know a lot of people who I respect for their music knowledge that love Dave. I've tried getting into him, but I just can't. His singing style is like nails on a chalkboard to me and I don't find his music to be real melodic.

I never thought I was like Phish until I saw them live. I was a little disturbed by all the EMTs carrying out the ODs, though. Maybe I'd like Dave better if I sat through one of his concerts.

Growing up around Lafayette and Frankfort I knew several people that knew Shannon and Izzy and Axl.

Probably generational. I know a lot of people who I respect for their music knowledge that love Dave. I've tried getting into him, but I just can't. His singing style is like nails on a chalkboard to me and I don't find his music to be real melodic.

I never thought I was like Phish until I saw them live. I was a little disturbed by all the EMTs carrying out the ODs, though. Maybe I'd like Dave better if I sat through one of his concerts.

Growing up around Lafayette and Frankfort I knew several people that knew Shannon and Izzy and Axl.
LET TREY SING

• Haha
Reactions: DANC

I always liked Dwight and finally saw him a few years ago... LSD tour: Lucinda Williams Steve Earle and Dwight Yoakam. I liked Dwight, but he seemed very distracted and tired and I felt like was mailing it in a bit. Both Steve Earle and Lucinda Williams exceeded my expectations but honestly was a little disappointed in Dwight. He was also battling the sound guy for the first few songs.

I always liked Dwight and finally saw him a few years ago... LSD tour: Lucinda Williams Steve Earle and Dwight Yoakam. I liked Dwight, but he seemed very distracted and tired and I felt like was mailing it in a bit. Both Steve Earle and Lucinda Williams exceeded my expectations but honestly was a little disappointed in Dwight. He was also battling the sound guy for the first few songs.
Was he headlining? Maybe he was working with Earle's sound guy?

I've never seen Lucinda, but it's on my list. I saw Steve Earle at the Indiana Theater in Bloomington about 4 or 5 years ago. Excellent show. My favorite song of his is 'The Revolution Starts Now' and he killed it at that show.

We need to watch the lists of musicians coming to Charlotte and catch some shows.

Reactions: kkott
Was he headlining? Maybe he was working with Earle's sound guy?

I've never seen Lucinda, but it's on my list. I saw Steve Earle at the Indiana Theater in Bloomington about 4 or 5 years ago. Excellent show. My favorite song of his is 'The Revolution Starts Now' and he killed it at that show.

We need to watch the lists of musicians coming to Charlotte and catch some shows.
Mavericks, Charleston SC January 26-27.

Gotta do it. We drove to the NY/MA border to see Nick Lowe open for The Mavericks at Tanglewood, and flew to Phoenix to see The Mavericks play in Scottsdale. 3.5 hours for you!

Reactions: sdhoosier and kkott
Mavericks, Charleston SC January 26-27.

Gotta do it. We drove to the NY/MA border to see Nick Lowe open for The Mavericks at Tanglewood, and flew to Phoenix to see The Mavericks play in Scottsdale. 3.5 hours for you!
Hell yeah, that's a relatively short drive. I drove to Myrtle Beach to see Dave Mason this summer. If you get a chance to see him, you should do it - his sets are kind of short, because he's getting up there, but his voice is still strong and his band is excellent.

You coming down in January? We could meet up.

Reactions: Shadesof Crimson
These probably aren’t super big names but pretty successful.

Jimmy Eat World, Father John Misty, and Leon Bridges at the Bluebird… the second two were musical guests on SNL. There are a few more at Bluebird and Bishop but I’m blanking (indie famous bands).

Saw Smashmouth (not a fan) randomly at a bar in Chicago on New Year’s Eve in early 2000s near height of their fame. Maybe 20-30 people there.

Reactions: sdhoosier
These probably aren’t super big names but pretty successful.

Jimmy Eat World, Father John Misty, and Leon Bridges at the Bluebird… the second two were musical guests on SNL. There are a few more at Bluebird and Bishop but I’m blanking (indie famous bands).

Saw Smashmouth (not a fan) randomly at a bar in Chicago on New Year’s Eve in early 2000s near height of their fame. Maybe 20-30 people there.
Jimmy Eat World was also on SNL and sounded just as bad as their name would indicate.

This doesn't exactly fit all the criteria but it was memorable. Carol king at IU Auditorium in 1976 or 1977. It was just Carol, the piano, and the audience. If I remember correctly in those days the Auditorium Capacity was around 3,500. Instead of taking an intermission break She sat on the edge of the stage spoke to the audience and took questions. One of the three best concerts I have ever attended.

This doesn't exactly fit all the criteria but it was memorable. Carol king at IU Auditorium in 1976 or 1977. It was just Carol, the piano, and the audience. If I remember correctly in those days the Auditorium Capacity was around 3,500. Instead of taking an intermission break She sat on the edge of the stage spoke to the audience and took questions. One of the three best concerts I have ever attended.
Somehow I scored 2nd row tickets - through Ticketmaster for regular price - to Elvis Costello in Indy at the Murat a while back - maybe 5 or 6 years ago.

At one point, he stopped all the instruments and sang a capella with no PA. I doubt those in the balcony could really hear it, but I heard it, being that close. Very cool moment.

Hell yeah, that's a relatively short drive. I drove to Myrtle Beach to see Dave Mason this summer. If you get a chance to see him, you should do it - his sets are kind of short, because he's getting up there, but his voice is still strong and his band is excellent.

You coming down in January? We could meet up.
We're kinda in limbo at the moment. My mother-in-law is in hospice care in St. Pete (fortunately next door to my SIL). So, can't really plan any extensive trips at the moment. And to cap it off, a month ago I got hit by a car while on a bike ride. Old man at a four way stop, his foot slipped off the brake pedal. Soooo, L2 vertebra fracture and some as yet undiagnosed thing with my left hip. Have 2-3 more weeks in a back brace!

We're kinda in limbo at the moment. My mother-in-law is in hospice care in St. Pete (fortunately next door to my SIL). So, can't really plan any extensive trips at the moment. And to cap it off, a month ago I got hit by a car while on a bike ride. Old man at a four way stop, his foot slipped off the brake pedal. Soooo, L2 vertebra fracture and some as yet undiagnosed thing with my left hip. Have 2-3 more weeks in a back brace!
I can't imagine trying to ride bikes for exercise on roads nowadays with all the phone/distracted drivers. When I ride, I do as little as I can on streets and hit trails, paved or unpaved.

Oh wow, that's rough. Yeah, I doubt you're going to any concerts any time soon.

Rest up and heal up! Good luck to your family on your mother-in-law.

I can't imagine trying to ride bikes for exercise on roads nowadays with all the phone/distracted drivers. When I ride, I do as little as I can on streets and hit trails, paved or unpaved.
Do you ride on the Charlotte Greenway?

It was freaky seeing you at the rest stop. I thought "Who the hell knows me here?". lol Sorry I didn't stick around long - I had to be somewhere at 2. Then I was with other people so I couldn't meet up with you and Hooky before the game.

Next time I'm leaving the wife at home..... (she wasn't with me in the car - she was flying up to Atlanta from Florida)

Do you ride on the Charlotte Greenway?

It was freaky seeing you at the rest stop. I thought "Who the hell knows me here?". lol Sorry I didn't stick around long - I had to be somewhere at 2. Then I was with other people so I couldn't meet up with you and Hooky before the game.

Next time I'm leaving the wife at home..... (she wasn't with me in the car - she was flying up to Atlanta from Florida)
Yeah, that was funny, and I almost didn't say anything, but then as you got closer, I thought we'd met and that was all that made sense. I didn't even notice the IU logo on your jacket til after we started talking.

I've been on some of the greenway up there, and what I've been on was very nice (the stretch from Park Rd/Tyvola down to Pineville), but there's a great little 3 mile paved stretch in Rock Hill right at the Pump House and then across the river there are miles of nice but unpaved trails. Anne Springs Park/Greenway is also very nice down here. If you want to impress the Mrs, bring her down to the trail here and grab drinks or dinner after at Grapevine or The Pump House. Let me know you're coming and I'll join you for drinks.

Yeah, that was funny, and I almost didn't say anything, but then as you got closer, I thought we'd met and that was all that made sense. I didn't even notice the IU logo on your jacket til after we started talking.

I've been on some of the greenway up there, and what I've been on was very nice (the stretch from Park Rd/Tyvola down to Pineville), but there's a great little 3 mile paved stretch in Rock Hill right at the Pump House and then across the river there are miles of nice but unpaved trails. Anne Springs Park/Greenway is also very nice down here. If you want to impress the Mrs, bring her down to the trail here and grab drinks or dinner after at Grapevine or The Pump House. Let me know you're coming and I'll join you for drinks.
That would be great. We're always looking for good places around here for dinner.

I've volunteered to help the Charlotte IU Alumni group organize some get-togethers. It's pretty unorganized at the moment, but I'll be sure to let you know if anything gets planned.

That would be great. We're always looking for good places around here for dinner.

I've volunteered to help the Charlotte IU Alumni group organize some get-togethers. It's pretty unorganized at the moment, but I'll be sure to let you know if anything gets planned.
Cool, just don't include Hooky... guy is bad luck. First game I go to that he's at: blowout loss.

• Haha
Reactions: hookyIU1990

I saw counting crows from the front row there. Recovering the Satellites tour. With the weird acoustic set in the middle that they also did on VH1 storytellers. It was excellent

If the Derailers count, I saw them at a rib shack, playing for tips and selling their own CDs in 1994 when I first moved to Austin. I bought one and then bought all their albums after that.

Also ran into Harry Connick, Jr. at a cigar/martini bar in Austin in '97, and he was just sitting there playing their piano. He played for about an hour, then got up and left. Maybe 30 other people in the place. He's really talented.

REM at the IU Auditorium in 86 would be mine.

Lesser known now but really cool at the time would have been the Bodeans at the Poplars parking garage in 89 (I think) and the Replacements at the Union in 87 in the ballroom.
I didn't see myself in the crowd, but here's the Replacements show @muubell

I saw Moby "play" an acoustic set in DC. He was a supporter of a non-profit I used to work for and did this little thing the day of or day before he was doing a bigger show. There were less than 50 people there.

I also saw Tame Impala at the 9:30 Club in DC right before they started doing bigger venues. Also saw the Strokes at the Southgate House in Cincinnati. Their first album had just come out.

I also saw Kim Deal (Pixies, Breeders) do a side project called the Amps. That was at a place called Canal Street Tavern in Dayton. Super small place. As fate would have it, I was standing right in front of the band - there really wasn't a proper stage...they were just set up off the to side.

Not the music aficionado some are here, but I saw a band I really enjoyed Saturday at Neighborhood Theater in Charlotte: Town Mountain. From just up the road in Asheville. I guess they are a country/bluegrass band, or at least those are the instruments they have: steel guitar, fiddle and mandolin, but they weren't too twangy and had a lot of honky tonk mixed in. Good covers of Springsteens I'm on Fire, Dire Straits So Far Away and Levon Helm's Dance Me Down Easy. Good musicians who really got into putting on a good performance. It was great to see. Shows coming up in Asheville, Knoxville, Athens, Charleston and Greenville. I may try and see them at one of these. I'm sure the show in Asheville will be terrific!

Reactions: sdhoosier and DANC
I saw Moby "play" an acoustic set in DC. He was a supporter of a non-profit I used to work for and did this little thing the day of or day before he was doing a bigger show. There were less than 50 people there.

I also saw Tame Impala at the 9:30 Club in DC right before they started doing bigger venues. Also saw the Strokes at the Southgate House in Cincinnati. Their first album had just come out.

I also saw Kim Deal (Pixies, Breeders) do a side project called the Amps. That was at a place called Canal Street Tavern in Dayton. Super small place. As fate would have it, I was standing right in front of the band - there really wasn't a proper stage...they were just set up off the to side.
Name dropper

Not the music aficionado some are here, but I saw a band I really enjoyed Saturday at Neighborhood Theater in Charlotte: Town Mountain. From just up the road in Asheville. I guess they are a country/bluegrass band, or at least those are the instruments they have: steel guitar, fiddle and mandolin, but they weren't too twangy and had a lot of honky tonk mixed in. Good covers of Springsteens I'm on Fire, Dire Straits So Far Away and Levon Helm's Dance Me Down Easy. Good musicians who really got into putting on a good performance. It was great to see. Shows coming up in Asheville, Knoxville, Athens, Charleston and Greenville. I may try and see them at one of these. I'm sure the show in Asheville will be terrific!
Let me know if/when you go

Let me know if/when you go
With them being from Asheville, I know that Asheville show would be crazy, but I think the Greenville date works better, and of course Charleston would probably be the funnest visit. Let me figure things out on my schedule, but I want to catch one of these.

With them being from Asheville, I know that Asheville show would be crazy, but I think the Greenville date works better, and of course Charleston would probably be the funnest visit. Let me figure things out on my schedule, but I want to catch one of these.
If I'm not in Florida (first few weeks in March), I'm in.

I saw this question on twitter recently and thought it would be a good one for the AOTF

__What was the biggest name group you saw in concert at the smallest venue?

I'll go first....I was 13 years old and saw Jefferson Airplane at the old Indiana Beach (Lake Shafer) ballroom on the boardwalk there. At that time IB was getting a lot of the big name bands. It was prior to stadiums becoming popular for concerts. Among other bands to appear there in the 60's were The Beach Boys, Jerry Lee Lewis, Simon and Garfunkel, The Who and Janis Joplin.

By the way the cost of my ticket.....$3.25

Here's a good article on the concert scene then...

A long list of big names at IU Auditorium. But the smallest would be Mumford and Sons at the Bluebird.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT