Tasmanian Devil

All-American
May 27, 2010
of our dislike for Tom Crean .

Because he can't shut up, that's why.

From the article:

“After dealing with what I dealt with here, I think I’m a little pickier.”

and

“You’re never going to know ‘fit’ until you are there,” said Crean, who weathered three losing seasons at IU before guiding the Hoosiers to a pair of regular-season Big Ten titles and four NCAA tournament appearances over five seasons. “It really comes down to the relationships and the trust that you have with the people that you work with, the alignment of leadership and being at a place where you can really work together and get some sustainability.”

Ok, Crean - Did you ever stop to think the main reason you couldn't sustain anything was YOU? Of course not . . .

Take your bonanza of cash you got, be grateful and STHU . . .

From the article:

and

“You’re never going to know ‘fit’ until you are there,” said Crean, who weathered three losing seasons at IU before guiding the Hoosiers to a pair of regular-season Big Ten titles and four NCAA tournament appearances over five seasons. “It really comes down to the relationships and the trust that you have with the people that you work with, the alignment of leadership and being at a place where you can really work together and get some sustainability.”

Ok, Crean - Did you ever stop to think the main reason you couldn't sustain anything was YOU? Of course not . . .

Sustainability

Yeah, but he didn't have fan support for even his worst teams....oh wait

But he didn't have the budgets...oh wait

The facilities...oh wait

Support from the Administra...oh wait

Not enough good in state players available...oh wait

No history to build on...oh wait

Non competitive compensation...oh wait

From the article:

and

Classic Crean: blame your problems on someone or something else.

I hope he can contain his craziness. I'd hate to see him run out on the floor during a basketball game and verbally attack Archie, Fred or maybe Collin for wrecking his life. It's amazing that he encouraged his kid to play for IU, or for his daughter to even attend the school.

He had one winning conference season in the last four...at Indiana, after we were 'back'.

Even with pulling in more paper talent than anyone in the league.

He's a horrible coach.

I hope he lands at a place that is tougher to win, like Clemson. Then lets see how he does when he doesn't have a brand to sell, it's just him.

Wonder who he'll blame then? The water?

He's way too emotional to be an elite coach. Always has been.

I'm really getting tired of him whining and taking shots at Glass when he should have fired him after year three, than again after half the team showed up on the police blotter (but no Crean wasn't the problem, he was part of the solution) then after not making any post season, sneaking in as a ten seed after another losing conference season.

He should be kissing Glass's ass. Any coach worth his salt could have done what Crean did plus more.

Wait and see... watch and learn.

From the article:

and

He doesn;t get that he's not competent enough for this job. Blames everything and everyone else. In his first interview he stated he should have hired a PR firm to manage expectations. Like results mean nothing, it's all perspective..

Yea, I'm so glad he's gone, wish he would STFU and get a new gig so we can laugh at their fans..

From the article:

and

I don't think he will get many, if any, chances to be "picky" about his next job in coaching. An AD would have to be fairly desperate to offer him what he thinks he is worth to become their head coach. If he couldn't make it with the resources IU afforded him, he most likely cannot make it anywhere with any sustainability. "You have to have an idea of what it takes to be successful" ....really, look in the mirror Tom and repeat that to yourself & tell me you don't laugh at yourself.

Reactions: MrBing

From the article:

and

Tom Crean needs to step outside of Tom Crean for a minute.

Reactions: travlinhoosier

From the article:

and

I thought the same thing when I read that. Never seems to acknowledge the fact that HIS results didn't meet the expectation set. It's not anyone else fault but his.

Wow, he's talking about being pickier. Maybe he's holding out for the Duke job. He lacks self-awareness. He's just making himself look like a fool airing out his dirty laundry in the media. He needs to hire a PR firm to manage his own communications. Maybe someone can hold up a sign behind the camera when he does interviews that says "don't be a crybaby" or "stop making excuses."

The guy won the coaching lottery for his skillset and he simply couldn't hack it. Time to face reality.

He will not take responsibility for his own failures. Word is out about him. Basketball people know what and who he is. I cannot imagine him landing anywhere near a program on the level of IU again. I feel sorry for the fans of any team that hires him.

Last edited:
Ya'll better watch out...JonesIndiana will be verbally shouting you all down here shortly on how Crean was wrongly fired. He/She will back it up with statistics and data and any other nonsensical crap he/she can find . It'll be fantastic!!

--grabbing popcorn--

Ya'll better watch out...JonesIndiana will be verbally shouting you all down here shortly on how Crean was wrongly fired. He/She will back it up with statistics and data and any other nonsensical crap he/she can find . It'll be fantastic!!

--grabbing popcorn--

I would think that Jones probably left town now that Crean is gone.

Maybe he'll come back for a visit though.

tumblr_inline_o76cl8L5ww1tnfuw0_500.gif

that would have gone over well with the average Hoosier...
He thinks success is something created by manipulating and forming opinion, instead of something based on results and facts. That is typical thinking of orange people. I bet he's convinced himself thinks his fake bake looks real and that other people don't laugh and clown on him behind his back..

Reactions: travlinhoosier
Crean is a mid-major coach at best. Mike Davis was better. His offensive philosophies led to being one of the worst BCS Conference teams in the country in Turnovers. He practiced that way and it carried over into games. And his lack of emphasis on defense created more pressure on the offense to out score the opponext without making key stops when it was winning time late in games. Crean's philosophy will never win the National Title. A MAC school might get a former B1G coach to attract attention to its program but never win consistently. I just don't see Crean ever being hired again by a top Basketball program in the country. He might want to ride off into the sunset as a TV analyst. If you can't coach, you turn to announcing or sports media. He is better at announcing than coaching. He can talk the talk in coaching, but not walk the walk.

Last edited:
Reactions: mcmanmr
Crean is a mid-major coach at best. Mike Davis was better. His offensive philosophies led to being one of the worst BCS Conference teams in the country in Turnovers. He practiced that way and it carried over into games. And his lack of emphasis on defense created more pressure on the offense to out score the opponext without making key stops when it was winning time late in games. Crean's philosophy will never win the National Title. A MAC school might get a former B1G coach to attract attention to its program but never win consistently. I just don't see Crean ever being hired again by a top Basketball program in the country. He might want to ride off into the sunset as a TV analyst. If you can't coach, you turn to announcing or sports media. He is better at announcing than coaching. He can talk the talk in xoaching, but not walk the walk.
ESPN just laid off a ton of people with far more Talent than Tom crean

Goodbye Crean!!!!! Always blaming something or someone else. Take your $millions, thank God you got nine seasons to coach a top university and ride your horse into the sunset. It's Miller time!

From the article:

and

He is a real piece of work is all I can say.

Crean is famous for marrying the sister of a famous coaching family. Crean is only famous for being famously related.

Sets up the perfect excuse later for why he isn't coaching anywhere yet. Not that he couldn't find a job, he's just being picky.

Sets up the perfect excuse later for why he isn't coaching anywhere yet. Not that he couldn't find a job, he's just being picky.
Exactly. People with fragile egos need prearranged excuses when their services aren't in demand. The fact that Crean refused to hire any assistants who had a reputation for understanding and teaching defense - despite that being a chronic weakness even in the best years - demonstrates how concerned he was that someone else might get the credit for a higher level of success.

A huge problem in his program here was the lack of quality assistant coaches. TC felt the need to surround himself with "yes" men rather than strong personalities who might challenge his thinking. There's a reason the people on his staff here were not very successful at finding high-level head coaching positions despite plenty of applications.

I totally understand if a coach does not want to talk about the reasons why he was fired. Losing is the cardinal sin of being a coach, and it is probably a good idea not to bring too much attention to this. However, Crean, to me, is vaguely hinting that he was terminated for something other than not being able to hack it, whether it be "a bad fit" or "lack of admin support." His brothers-in-law clearly stated that Crean was terminated for some reason other than Crean.

This is a load of BS. Crean was fired because he couldn't hack it at a big boy program: everybody knows it. He couldn't hack it with all of the resources and advantages possible for a college b-ball coach, and he got his fair shot. Chronic Hoosier hit the nail on the head: Tom will only define himself as an underdog or a victim, and he's a victim once again now that he has been fired. When you are the coach of IU, you have to drop the underdog or victim narrative and either hack it as a big dog or not hack it. Crean, by sticking with the victim/underdog narrative, is admitting that he couldn't hack it at IU: kind of sad.

It is pretty clear why there was no accountability during Crean's tenure: Crean won't even take responsibility for himself. Not being able to hack it and remaining silent is one thing, and not being able to hack it and making excuses is another: in Crean's case and really every other similar case, silence is golden.

Last edited:
Inconsistent recruiting, turnovers, an inability to develop big men, did I mention turnovers, and a preseason schedule that was a damned embarrassment. That is what was sustained.

Inconsistent recruiting, turnovers, an inability to develop big men, did I mention turnovers, and a preseason schedule that was a damned embarrassment. That is what was sustained.
You forgot turnovers. Did you not realize how important they are?

But don't fret - Crean never realized their importance, either . . .

From the article:

and

He's sustaining my loathing of him.

From the article:

and

If I was Fred Glass I wouldn't have a kind word to say about Crean. Crean continues to try to throw him under the bus, even though Glass stuck his neck out for him several times. It will always amaze how Crean became a major D1 coach. The guy is clueless on some of the basics of basketball.

From the article:

and

My favorite line was "You've got to have people who have an idea of what it takes to be successful."

Did I miss something in his tenure? Harkens me back to a comment he once made about Drew at Baylor during the Hanner Perea recruiting process, "Guy hits a double and thinks he hits a home run." WOW! Hello, pot! This is kettle. Further, almost all of the posts in this thread have valid points.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT