ADVERTISEMENT

An age limit for the office of President...

76-1

Hall of Famer
Mar 22, 2017
Indiana
There's already a minimum age limit for Presidential candidates set at 35, why not have a maximum age limit also??

I propose we set maximum age limit (to be eligible to run) for President at age 68 (the same calendar year that their (1st term) election would be held...; which means an individual would be no older than 76 or 77 at the end of two terms (they could only circumvent the 68 age limit if they had already served 1 term)...

Throw in a Mandatory Cognitive Test, along with a US government and Global Studies Test (whose content would be provided to all candidates immediately upon their decision to run [to allow them time to study for it]...).

The results would be made public 9 months prior to the election..., and we would circumvent most of the type of dangerous nonsense we're now dealing with...
(In my opinion)

I'd also love to see that a minimum of half their proposed cabinet be revealed 9 months prior to their election... The reality is that the individual we vote for is often just a rubber stamp figurehead. I want to know who'll really be running things...

Last edited:
There's already a minimum age limit for Presidential candidates set at 35, why not have a maximum age limit also??

I propose we set maximum age limit (to be eligible to run) for President at age 68 (the same calendar year that their (1st term) election would be held...; which means an individual would be no older than 76 or 77 at the end of two terms (they could only circumvent the 68 age limit if they had already served 1 term)...

Throw in a Mandatory Cognitive Test, along with a US government and Global Studies Test (whose content would be provided to all candidates immediately upon their decision to run [to allow them time to study for it]...).

The results would be made public 9 months prior to the election..., and we would circumvent most of the type of dangerous nonsense we're now dealing with...
(In my opinion)

I'd also love to see that a minimum of half their proposed cabinet be revealed 9 months prior to their election... The reality is that the individual we vote for is often just a rubber stamp figurehead. I want to know who'll really be running things...
No. I think the 35 rule is dumb too. Condoleezza Rice would be ineligible to run this term under your rules. Was there a single Republican primary candidate or rumored Biden replacement that is better suited for the job than her? Talent knows no age.

A baseline cognitive test isn’t a terrible idea though.

Last edited:

I agree but I'd make it younger. 68 should be the max age so if they are older than 64 they can't run or run again. Same for Senators and Representatives, so 62 at the oldest for a Senator to get on a ballot, or 66 for a Representative.

A cognitive test would never fly. Who oversees them? Who interprets them? 50% of the country would never believe the results, good or bad. In this particular election, what if they found that Biden was impaired, and Trump was not? Or, vice versa? Would anyone accept this?

A cognitive test would never fly. Who oversees them? Who interprets them? 50% of the country would never believe the results, good or bad. In this particular election, what if they found that Biden was impaired, and Trump was not? Or, vice versa? Would anyone accept this?
We don’t need him to take a test to confirm what our eyes and ears see and hear. He has no business being president today much less running again. He should be home in sweats

(In my opinion)

Age limits have to be instituted, and the 68 year rule is good. I would make sure to clarify what 'first term' means. In other words, I would make sure it didn't allow someone in Trump's situation run. One you lose office your count starts over. Now that we have Presidential term limits, which we didn't have until after FDR, I wish we had a rule that once you lose office you can't run again. The idea of voting in a lame duck President after him losing office seems counter productive.

I don't know about the cognitive test stuff. Seems destined to create more problems than it's worth.

I'd make it tougher prior to primaries to get on stage for debates. I would have no more than three on stage at a time and no more six total across two debates. I would mix and match them across two rounds of debates. Then after the first couple of primaries, I'd have a debate with the top three candidates.

Reactions: Ohio Guy

(In my opinion)

1. Need a constitutional amendment. Good luck. I would love to see this gain traction.

2. It should be for all branches of the government. We don't need 80+ old judges on the federal bench or in Congress, either. If an elected official want to tap the wisdom of the older generations, hire them as consultants or into lower positions.

3. I'd set the age at 70. You cannot have reached your 70th birthday by your first day in office as President, a federal judge (including SCt), or a member of Congress or the Senate.

4. The reason for the age limitation is that you are using it as a proxy for the mental capacity/fitness issue, so I'd prefer not being duplicative.

1. Need a constitutional amendment. Good luck. I would love to see this gain traction.

2. It should be for all branches of the government. We don't need 80+ old judges on the federal bench or in Congress, either. If an elected official want to tap the wisdom of the older generations, hire them as consultants or into lower positions.

3. I'd set the age at 70. You cannot have reached your 70th birthday by your first day in office as President, a federal judge (including SCt), or a member of Congress or the Senate.

4. The reason for the age limitation is that you are using it as a proxy for the mental capacity/fitness issue, so I'd prefer not being duplicative.
I can’t get behind age limits at all. Yeah, Biden is obviously unfit. But the reason isn’t age. Trump is less unfit, his problem isn’t age either. People who talk about age limits have no ability or motivation to discuss the real problems that resulted in Biden.

Biden showed signs of mental decline in 2020. It has gotten worse every year. Yet in 2023 the DNC decided he was the guy and wired the process to assure no opposition to his candidacy. Now here we are with a mindless candidate who speaks in gibberish. Biden is where he is because of decisions made by people decades younger than him. Age has nothing to do with this. It’s our screwed up system.

I can’t get behind age limits at all. Yeah, Biden is obviously unfit. But the reason isn’t age. Trump is less unfit, his problem isn’t age either. People who talk about age limits have no ability or motivation to discuss the real problems that resulted in Biden.

Biden showed signs of mental decline in 2020. It has gotten worse every year. Yet in 2023 the DNC decided he was the guy and wired the process to assure no opposition to his candidacy. Now here we are with a mindless candidate who speaks in gibberish. Biden is where he is because of decisions made by people decades younger than him. Age has nothing to do with this. It’s our screwed up system.
Age has everything to do with it. Biden would have been mentally fit for this job 20 years ago. He’s not now because of age. It’s clear on the federal bench, too. Every judge I’ve practiced in front of over the age of 70 has lost several steps. Those 80 and older shouldn’t be on it and yet judges cover for each other. Stevens, e.g. And let’s not forget Feinstein.

I’m 52 now and while much wiser than I was at 45, I also am not nearly as mentally sharp or energetic. That’s only 7 years. I imagine it will not be a straight line decline from here on out.

Age has everything to do with it. Biden would have been mentally fit for this job 20 years ago. He’s not now because of age. It’s clear on the federal bench, too. Every judge I’ve practiced in front of over the age of 70 has lost several steps. Those 80 and older shouldn’t be on it and yet judges cover for each other. Stevens, e.g. And let’s not forget Feinstein.

I’m 52 now and while much wiser than I was at 45, I also am not nearly as mentally sharp or energetic. That’s only 7 years. I imagine it will not be a straight line decline from here on out.
Free weights son. Free weights.

Free weights son. Free weights.
Do You Even Lift Joe Biden GIF by Obama

He doesn’t lift. Listen to me. This isn’t rocket science. It’s not a mystery. 4 sets of standing military press at the squat rack. It’s terrible for your back but will make you meaner. Then don’t leave. Do your curls there. Then go home. 20 minutes tops. Then go back tomorrow. 4 sets of bench. 4 sets of tris. That’s it. You’re done. Then when you shake defense counsel’s hand you’ll put him on notice. You don’t suffer fools

Fauci will turn 84 this year. Now he's obviously an evil bastard but is he not still very sharp and with it? We don't all age the same so a one size fits all rule doesn't make sense to me.

Yes, it’s not a straight line decline. Decline zig zags. I know about energetic loss, but that doesn’t correlate with mental sharpness. I tried my last jury trial when I was 65, when I finished, I told my partners no more juries for me. Not because of mental decline, but because they are physically demanding and I believe unhealthy because of stress for an old fart. But I was still on top of the mental/ thinking part—so I was told.

Of course there are individual cases of oldsters not performing well. But I think generalizations are difficult . Sotomayor is only 70 and she has lost it. Rehnquist still had it when he died at 80.

The concept of cognitive reserve is coming into its own. That means how much you have in your tank after a period of mentally intense activity. That can be maintained with mental exercise, like joining a book club with people 30 years younger. ;)

Bernie is still sharp
Biden is not.
Trump is not.

One size does not fit all, but at the risk of losing a few good ones while canning many more bad ones, I am on board with a mandatory retirement age for presidents, senators, House members, and federal judges. Perhaps required retirement at the end of any term past a 70th birthday for elected offices, and at age 74 for appointed offices.

• Haha
Reactions: ChicagoFineForNow
In all seriousness, I agree with you. I need to get back into the routine. Starting is the hardest part, though.
Starting is hell. But it only takes a week to feel okay again. And if you keep it short you’ll have a better chance of sticking to it.

(In my opinion)

I agree with the premise, but 76 or 77? Shit no man. Max age of 70 years old and that's me being generous - I'd prefer a cap in the 60s. Think about how demanding that job is. It should be for a middle-aged, seasoned individual. Not Grandpa.

Shit, I couldn't do that job now. I get tired just thinking about less than 6 hours of sleep these days - although if I were President, I wouldn't have to be constantly chasing minions around.

To be clear, my cap means hard cap. if you are 66, you only get one fvcking term. If you are 67 - go fvck yourself and hit some golf balls.

Last edited:
Fauci will turn 84 this year. Now he's obviously an evil bastard but is he not still very sharp and with it? We don't all age the same so a one size fits all rule doesn't make sense to me.

This is a 100 hour per week type job. A 70 year old, much less an 80 year old, has no business doing that.

It's also a pragmatic issue. You've served your time in the limelight. Move the fvck on.

<serious>
At 69, my memory has slipped a bit, but I don't know that I've lost much processing power. (YMMV) What I have noticed is a precipitous decline in motivation or drive or ambition or whatever. I think I may have used up most of the fvcks I had to give.
</serious>

I think the upper age limit is good. Yes, there are exceptions. Somewhere in the world is a 90 year old that can do the job. But the exception should not drive the rule.

The bottom could be lowered to 25 or so, but it makes little difference. It would be very difficult for someone under 50 to have the name recognition and support. The problem is, it is very easy for an 80 year old to have name recognition. The problem is a lot of that is based on what they did 40 years ago. Our perception is skewed.

Maybe no one can stand for election after they turn 70. I would include Senators and House and a forced retirement for the courts.

This is a 100 hour per week type job. A 70 year old, much less an 80 year old, has no business doing that.

It's also a pragmatic issue. You've served your time in the limelight. Move the fvck on.
I could get on board with it if it applies to Congress too.

Reactions: 76-1
I think the upper age limit is good. Yes, there are exceptions. Somewhere in the world is a 90 year old that can do the job. But the exception should not drive the rule.

The bottom could be lowered to 25 or so, but it makes little difference. It would be very difficult for someone under 50 to have the name recognition and support. The problem is, it is very easy for an 80 year old to have name recognition. The problem is a lot of that is based on what they did 40 years ago. Our perception is skewed.

Maybe no one can stand for election after they turn 70. I would include Senators and House and a forced retirement for the courts.
Problem with SCOTUS is that if you put in age limits they'll just start appointing these 30 year olds fresh out of law school with no experience.

F*ck that asshole and f*ck jeopardy. If you can't get it to home plate you're automatically disqualified.

Problem with SCOTUS is that if you put in age limits they'll just start appointing these 30 year olds fresh out of law school with no experience.
You kidding, the smart party will soon start appointing newborns to make sure they hold down a seat under current law.

SCt appts should be changed: every two years, a justice rotates off and that sitting President picks (if the nominee is rejected that person keeps nominating).

It’s ridiculous that the electorate doesn’t have clarity about who and how many justices a prez will fill slots for.

Reactions: Marvin the Martian

(In my opinion)

Our Founders did not think the American people would let their elected representatives get rich off of government work. In my view most of the politicians are addicted to the money and power

• Love
Reactions: 76-1 and Indyhorn

What is the rationale for lowering the starting age? Do we want whipper snappers in the white house?

What is the rationale for lowering the starting age? Do we want whipper snappers in the white house?

It is almost impossible for someone 30 to win. Unless they are a major pop star,no way they have the name recognition. Name a 30 year old today that could possibly win?

That said, I think it would help reset the window on what old is. I think someone 30 is easily mature enough. Same for upper 20s. Lowering it makes a Biden and a Trump look even more ancient.

It is almost impossible for someone 30 to win. Unless they are a major pop star,no way they have the name recognition. Name a 30 year old today that could possibly win?

That said, I think it would help reset the window on what old is. I think someone 30 is easily mature enough. Same for upper 20s. Lowering it makes a Biden and a Trump look even more ancient.
Barron 2028!!!

Disagree. If anything, I’d raise it to 40. 20 and 30 year olds do not have the life experience, wisdom, or perspective to be the leader of the free world.

Disagree. If anything, I’d raise it to 40. 20 and 30 year olds do not have the life experience, wisdom, or perspective to be the leader of the free world.
I didn't begin to grow up until I was 40, and it took me ten years to finish the job.

Reactions: BradStevens

Biden isn’t exactly a work-a-holic. His family, advisors, and staff insure he doesn’t exceed his capabilities. He is substantially disabled, that’s clear.

I’d be more concerned about Trump being overworked than Biden. He made calls around the clock when he was in the White House. He brags about not getting much sleep.

I hang with a group of guys who are 77 to 86. None of us are want we were 40years ago, but each one is very capable and could easily serve in elective office.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT