ADVERTISEMENT

Amazon and the USPS

larsIU

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Apr 17, 2010
Thought occurred to me last night as I picked up another Amazon package from my front porch after I'd gotten the mail from my mailbox.

How long until Amazon takes over mail delivery in the US? We already have mailboxes in front of our houses. How hard (very had probably) would it be to let Amazon put dropboxes in front of everyone's house which are locked and only opened by the homeowner or Amazon as they deliver a package?

And, if they do that, why wouldn't they just take over mail delivery as well?

Why would this be a bad idea other than the USPS being integral to communications in the US?

Thought occurred to me last night as I picked up another Amazon package from my front porch after I'd gotten the mail from my mailbox.

How long until Amazon takes over mail delivery in the US? We already have mailboxes in front of our houses. How hard (very had probably) would it be to let Amazon put dropboxes in front of everyone's house which are locked and only opened by the homeowner or Amazon as they deliver a package?

Why would this be a bad idea other than the USPS being integral to communications in the US?
. . . and then, the world!

• Haha
Reactions: stollcpa and larsIU
. . . and then, the world!
Just read they are buying more single fam houses. Ugh.

Incidentally I was waiting got some cleats and got a message that there was a driveway and entrance obstruction. They will try again. FAKE!!!!! LIE!!!!

Some guy on Reddit said he got that message while he was literally watching the delivery guy from his driveway

I love Amazon. The only time I ever have a problem with them being on time or ahead of time is on the rare occasion when the seller uses USPS as the deliverer, rather than an Amazon or FedEx dellivery.

I now have a distribution center near me, so a surprising amount of orders are next day delivery.

I love Amazon. The only time I ever have a problem with them being on time or ahead of time is on the rare occasion when the seller uses USPS as the deliverer, rather than an Amazon or FedEx dellivery.

I now have a distribution center near me, so a surprising amount of orders are next day delivery.

You buy something on Prime with the expectation that it will be delivered on time and nicely. Amazon always does. USPS always fvcks up. I've had them show up two or three days late with packages and Amazon will credit me something, but never had issues with their own delivery fleet or other carriers (UPS).

Not sure of the motivation for taking over for the USPS. I don't believe it operates at a profit. Their goals are to maximize secure deliveries, which you alluded to, but most favor convenience against the risk. I live in a secure 8-unit building. I often come home with packages outside, and I'm pretty sure when one of us comes sees that we move any/all packages inside.

I know some people who prefer security over convenience, and they have packages dropped off at these Amazon drop boxes located in various places. More apartment complexes have Amazon drop boxes.

How to combine that, as you alluded to, is their next step. We're not too far away from smart mailboxes.

The magic of Amazon is the ease of returns. They have deals with Kohls and UPS for easy drop offs, as well as their own option of Whole Foods. I don't know the economics of it, but I wonder what keeps them from acquiring UPS.

Part of your Amazon Prime subscription could be shipping benefits. I certainly wouldn't make outgoing shipping free, but if you're an Amazon subscriber you only have to drop the item and pay for the shipping fee. Amazon boxes it up and provides the shipping container (up to a point of course).

Reactions: larsIU

Union.

Just read they are buying more single fam houses. Ugh.

Incidentally I was waiting got some cleats and got a message that there was a driveway and entrance obstruction. They will try again. FAKE!!!!! LIE!!!!

Some guy on Reddit said he got that message while he was literally watching the delivery guy from his driveway
You may be hearing about the place in the link below. Bezos has investments in it along with lots of other people.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
Not sure of the motivation for taking over for the USPS. I don't believe it operates at a profit. Their goals are to maximize secure deliveries, which you alluded to, but most favor convenience against the risk. I live in a secure 8-unit building. I often come home with packages outside, and I'm pretty sure when one of us comes sees that we move any/all packages inside.

I know some people who prefer security over convenience, and they have packages dropped off at these Amazon drop boxes located in various places. More apartment complexes have Amazon drop boxes.

How to combine that, as you alluded to, is their next step. We're not too far away from smart mailboxes.

The magic of Amazon is the ease of returns. They have deals with Kohls and UPS for easy drop offs, as well as their own option of Whole Foods. I don't know the economics of it, but I wonder what keeps them from acquiring UPS.

Part of your Amazon Prime subscription could be shipping benefits. I certainly wouldn't make outgoing shipping free, but if you're an Amazon subscriber you only have to drop the item and pay for the shipping fee. Amazon boxes it up and provides the shipping container (up to a point of course).
It just seems inefficient than two to 6 parties could be driving around on similar routes to drop things (mail/boxes/whatever) at a house. Probably too close to monopoly to ever fly. I figure Amazon would just take over mail delivery to bill the government for the service. I have a feeling they would make it run at a profit and at a lower cost to consumers.

It just seems inefficient than two to 6 parties could be driving around on similar routes to drop things (mail/boxes/whatever) at a house. Probably too close to monopoly to ever fly. I figure Amazon would just take over mail delivery to bill the government for the service. I have a feeling they would make it run at a profit and at a lower cost to consumers.
But that would cost well paying jobs and turnover a major form of communication with the public to a private entity.

Amazon isn't more efficient than UPS or FedEx due to logistics. They're more efficient, at a consumer level, due to inventory at fulfillment centers. From a consumer standpoint, they don't need to buy into the USPS when the only interest to them would be how outbound packages would be handled.

But that would cost well paying jobs and turnover a major form of communication with the public to a private entity.

Well, yeah but........where's our manufacturing base? That's right, SE Asia and Central America. not Michigan/Indiana/Ohio anymore.

I think Amazon will move to comletely self driving delivery vehicles which, if there were dropboxes in every yard, could be automated to complete the entire delivery process. Amazon's logistics don't have to be markedly better or worse than Fed Ex if they have volume.

Just something to think about. I do agree with you relative to the unease I'd feel with turning something like the USPS over to any private company. But it is a part of the government which could be more efficiently done by a private org and at a cost/convenience benefit to most Americans.

The USPS has to go to every address and Amazon doesn't. Amazon still uses the USPS to deliver packages to some areas where it would cost them more to deliver it themselves. I don't know if this is true or not but seems like Amazon looks to see if they have other deliveries in an area and if they don't they will ship via USPS. I know I get packages sometimes that are shipped by UPS but are turned over to the local post office for actual delivery. Amazon may do the same thing.

By the way did you know that FEDEX and UPS are merging.... new company name is FEDUP. :)

The USPS has to go to every address and Amazon doesn't. Amazon still uses the USPS to deliver packages to some areas where it would cost them more to deliver it themselves. I don't know if this is true or not but seems like Amazon looks to see if they have other deliveries in an area and if they don't they will ship via USPS. I know I get packages sometimes that are shipped by UPS but are turned over to the local post office for actual delivery. Amazon may do the same thing.

By the way did you know that FEDEX and UPS are merging.... new company name is FEDUP. :)
@Marvin the Martian

Yeah, I get all that but I think Amazon will 100% go to driverless vehicles sooner rather than later (whenever it's technically "allowed").

The US government doesn't build weapons, manufacturers do. Why is mail service sacrosanct? I've no doubt Amazon could do it more efficiently. I'm not saying Amazon will take a loss but they might take a break even for a consideration of becoming even more ingratiated into delivery of anything to an address in the USA.

Though they might screw over rural America, which is terrible.

Well, yeah but........where's our manufacturing base? That's right, SE Asia and Central America. not Michigan/Indiana/Ohio anymore.

I think Amazon will move to comletely self driving delivery vehicles which, if there were dropboxes in every yard, could be automated to complete the entire delivery process. Amazon's logistics don't have to be markedly better or worse than Fed Ex if they have volume.

Just something to think about. I do agree with you relative to the unease I'd feel with turning something like the USPS over to any private company. But it is a part of the government which could be more efficiently done by a private org and at a cost/convenience benefit to most Americans.
I don't think it can be done via a profit. That's the point.

Right now routes are based on demand, built into the price of the product as well as shipping costs. Mail is the same path everyday regardless.

They have no motivation to take on mail.

There's some reshoring going on, particularly as automation is both leveling the playing field and improving value in manufacturing. But it seems to occur less in states like those, which have union issues, higher links to automotive and commodity-like industrial markets.

Southern states and higher tech manufacturing areas (MN, MA, AZ, FL) are seeing more gains.

Reactions: Spartans9312
There's some reshoring going on, particularly as automation is both leveling the playing field and improving value in manufacturing. But it seems to occur less in states like those, which have union issues, higher links to automotive and commodity-like industrial markets.

Southern states and higher tech manufacturing areas (MN, MA, AZ, FL) are seeing more gains.
But shit man, Germany is like 19% manufacturing and Japan is slightly behind that. We probably can't even get to 19% ever again.

I agree automation will be key but the net job gain as compared to 30 years ago is greatly reduced. And wtf are we going to do with all the entry level and lower level white collar jobs that are soon to be decimated by AI?

Thankfully I'll be retired by then.

I listened to them talking about this just the other day on the radio. Short of it is this: prime is probably not profitable, and it's only worth it to Amazon to deliver items they are also selling you. So they have no incentive to put FedEx or UPS or the USPS out of business

Reactions: larsIU
I listened to them talking about this just the other day on the radio. Short of it is this: prime is probably not profitable, and it's only worth it to Amazon to deliver items they are also selling you. So they have no incentive to put FedEx or UPS or the USPS out of business
If you control distribution though......

While we buy online and brick & mortar is dying, we still want the tangible thing we bought. It has to be delivered somehow. It's a boring problem to solve but that last piece of any online transaction is delivery.

AWS is boring. But how much of the internet and online activity is hosted on it? And how much are people paying?

Amazon is a marketplace providing one of the more amazing technologies in human history. This is true for AWS and Amazon.com.

Reactions: UncleMark
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT