ADVERTISEMENT

Allen has to get this defense fixed.

Playing man at safety and being aligned 12 yards off the ball and nobody underneath to get hands on a receiver or redirect them puts safeties at a disadvantage. You have a receiver that gets a 12 yard start to get to full speed is really advantageous to the receiver. That is structural flaw that obviously CTA is ok with because it has not been changed. That is that he and CKW need to look at. It is not very sound.

Reactions: DANC and td75
PU ran the same play a million times Saturday. Did you see Burgess standing in the endzone instead of picking up Hopkins.

Did you see Burgess take the wrong angle last week against Mich.

Did you see Matthews playing the ball while the man caught the winning TD vs. MSU.

Something isn't connecting. It could be the players don't process the fakes quickly but only 1 safety out of 4 correctly read things this year.

Jamar Johnson should be playing safety not Husky.

Coverage is dictated by what kind of Defense you're playing.

If your Safeties wait to turn and run when the WR is even with them, they're going to get beat every time.

I think that's all on the coverage called. But I'm not an expert and don't pretend to be. I just know what I'm seeing and what I'm seeing are players being out of position to make the play and that situation is not confined to Safeties.

I'll worry about technique when they're in position to make the the play.

If we are in cover 1 the other safety is locked at the line already

Playing man at safety and being aligned 12 yards off the ball and nobody underneath to get hands on a receiver or redirect them puts safeties at a disadvantage. You have a receiver that gets a 12 yard start to get to full speed is really advantageous to the receiver. That is structural flaw that obviously CTA is ok with because it has not been changed. That is that he and CKW need to look at. It is not very sound.

If we are in cover 1 the other safety is locked at the line already
We are playing one out of a cover 2 shell trying to disguise it to make it look either 2 or 4. Even if you do have a 1 high safety you need to walk a linebacker over top of slot receiver to redirect or at least slow the receiver down.

Reactions: DANC
There were some good individual defensive plays in Saturday's game but, overall, I thought the defense played poorly. This is particularly troubling considering it was late in the season when you're hoping to see improvement.

Purdue currently is averaging 393 yards per game in total offense, 83 rushing yards per game and 309 passing yards. (They've been lighting up almost everyone through the air, but their rushing offense is among the worst in the country.) Against us, they gained 589 yards of offense, including 181 rushing yards (Horvath was mostly unstoppable) and 408 passing yards, all well above their season averages. We squandered an 18 point lead and probably would have lost the game on a field goal in regulation if Purdue's receiver hadn't dropped a perfectly thrown pass at our 27 with just a few seconds left (some good contact by Taylor a moment after the ball arrived contributed to the drop).

I hate seeing a defense like this that allows, in the last game of the regular season, a moribund rushing offense to come to life, and lets a team that was dead in the water in the third quarter come back to make it a game. There are major fixes required and presumably Allen will carefully assess whether or not Wommack is the guy to get it done.

The run defense was really upsetting. I think Elliott went out and Sio was out a while. Person had to play. We need King and Jones to bulk up. It looks like Whitner is listed as a DL still.

There were some good individual defensive plays in Saturday's game but, overall, I thought the defense played poorly. This is particularly troubling considering it was late in the season when you're hoping to see improvement.

Purdue currently is averaging 393 yards per game in total offense, 83 rushing yards per game and 309 passing yards. (They've been lighting up almost everyone through the air, but their rushing offense is among the worst in the country.) Against us, they gained 589 yards of offense, including 181 rushing yards (Horvath was mostly unstoppable) and 408 passing yards, all well above their season averages. We squandered an 18 point lead and probably would have lost the game on a field goal in regulation if Purdue's receiver hadn't dropped a perfectly thrown pass at our 27 with just a few seconds left (some good contact by Taylor a moment after the ball arrived contributed to the drop).

I hate seeing a defense like this that allows, in the last game of the regular season, a moribund rushing offense to come to life, and lets a team that was dead in the water in the third quarter come back to make it a game. There are major fixes required and presumably Allen will carefully assess whether or not Wommack is the guy to get it done.

Reactions: drose
I think Wommack is clearly over his head. It will be interesting to see what Coach Allen chooses to do.

Most people can understand giving up big yardage to a top ranked Buckeye team or top Michigan team with a 5* WR. Giving up those yards against a depleted Purdue is a very bad look.

Hell, I thought the secondary was the strength of this defense and team coming into the season. The offensive line has actually turned out to be formidable.

Reactions: drose and DANC
Did you watch any games last year? The secondary was the problem last year.

I think Wommack is clearly over his head. It will be interesting to see what Coach Allen chooses to do.

Most people can understand giving up big yardage to a top ranked Buckeye team or top Michigan team with a 5* WR. Giving up those yards against a depleted Purdue is a very bad look.

Hell, I thought the secondary was the strength of this defense and team coming into the season. The offensive line has actually turned out to be formidable.

Did you watch any games last year? The secondary was the problem last year.
All we heard pre-season was how good the Secondary was going to be. That was supposed to be the strength of the Defense, if not team, according to the Hickory Barber Shop crowd.

Reactions: indy1203
Fast and good are two different things. I kept hearing fast.

All we heard pre-season was how good the Secondary was going to be. That was supposed to be the strength of the Defense, if not team, according to the Hickory Barber Shop crowd.

I don't know about Wommack. We're not any better now on Defense than we were against BSU.

Giving up big plays, confusion with the players (many times Saturday we had guys looking to the sidelines WHEN THE BALL WAS SNAPPED), stupid penalties...... it doesn't add up to a competent Defense.

We waited too long to replace Mallory as DC. I want someone proven back there. We got DeBoer when the Offense last year wasn't as bad as the Defense this year.

Allen needs to do what's right for IU and not be swayed by his friendship toward Wommack.
I have been very happy with the decisions CTA has made with his staff each year in the off season. It will be interesting to see what he does this year. I think that will tell us a lot about where he thinks the problem is. The one thing we know is that if he sees a problem he will address it.

Allen is a defensive coach. His defense is a rare 4-2-5. He learned it from Wommack's dad.
I don't think he can find a coordinator who can lead that defense, and I don't think he would hire a guy to change his defense, no matter how good he is.

Last edited:
Allen is a defensive coach. His defense is a rare 4-2-5. He learned it from Wommack's dad.
I don't think he can find a coordinator who can lead that defense, and I don't think he would hire a guy to change him defense, no matter how good he is.
Very good points.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT