ADVERTISEMENT

All time worst coaching performances?

I seriously think this season has to rank at the top or near the top of all time worst coaching performances in IU football history. When you take into account the momentum we had coming into the season coupled with returning nearly all of the talent from last year, what a train wreck this has been. We had experience and depth in nearly every position and better talent than many IU teams of the past. Sure out schedule is tough but it's tough every year. We should still be at least a 7-5 team but will be lucky to win 4 games. Injuries aside we have simply underperformed in a huge way. We have looked sloppy and undisciplined all season. Certain players look like a shell of their former selves. The D has had some decent moments but seems to have been worn down due to getting zero help from our inept offense and calling it inept is being kind.

No valid excuse for us not being a top 30 team. We might not even be a top 100 team at this point.

In light of the pre-season expectations, has an IU football team ever so completely layed an egg like we're doing this season?
Pretty easy..All the eggs were in Penix's basket.
If you have no Q.B....You have nothing at all ..
Nothing..
It's the most important position in all of sports.
A good Q.B. can make the shitiest team look good....

Reactions: vesuvius13
How Wilson's first season isn't seen as one of the worst is beyond me as IU lost to teams they never should have lost. This season ranks with some of the worse seasons but not at the very bottom.

Reactions: hoosier roadtrips
How Wilson's first season isn't seen as one of the worst is beyond me as IU lost to teams they never should have lost. This season ranks with some of the worse seasons but not at the very bottom.
In terms of expectations this is easily one of, if not the worst season in IU history and that says something. Wilson went 1-11 in year one with a bunch of freshman and sophomores and upperclassmen who had no business playing in the B10. IU currently has 2 wins, one against a bad FCS team and a 2 point win against Western Kentucky. Lose on Saturday, and IU is going to finish 2-10 and 0-9 in the B10. That's a fireable offense in my opinion.

Reactions: IUgradman
Wilson’s first year there were no expectations with the likes of EWB and Kiel at QB. When Trey finally got the nod in Mid-October, that at least have the O some life, if not wins.

The cupboard was totally bare at all positions.

Wilson’s first year there were no expectations with the likes of EWB and Kiel at QB. When Trey finally got the nod in Mid-October, that at least have the O some life, if not wins.

The cupboard was totally bare at all positions.
People ignore that coach Wilson drove players away that year to be in the position he was in. I don't excuse this year with the expectations that we had, but the season has really shown the weakness on offense that is a result of coaching or I should say poor coaching. It shows that as the offensive HC coach Sheridan isn't up to the task and we need a new OC that can attack B1G defenses. IU's ranking on offense has gone down the two years he has been OC and now we are ranked below #100. If coach Allen doesn't make the needed coaching changes then it will all be on him.

The boycott was what I was referring to.

I don't know whether they were correct in their complaints.

I was only 13 at the time. Of the guys mentioned, Bennie Norman and Larry Highbaugh stood out to me as great prospects. There was another fellow, Stevie Porter, that I remember as being very talented. He isn't mentioned in the story. He might have already graduated.
That article omits a “last straw” issue that was mentioned in the past.

I recall that there was going to be a day long general “strike” by IU students to support civil rights. No class attendance, no practice for arts or sports. (“Gonna have a sit-in and then some sex, drugs and music!“) As well-known students, the black players were being pressured to skip practice and support the strike. They talked to Pont, and Pont told them if they skipped practice they’d be suspended. “Rules is rules.” Most skipped practice anyway and Pont suspended them. They wanted to talk about it again. He wasnt gonna talk. It snowballed, on top of the other complaints, and he tossed them off the team. “Insubordination“ type of claim.

There had been boycotts elsewhere already. Iowa had had an ugly one. IU wasn’t unique as to reasons or outcome.

I know of no football coach back then who allowed players to miss practice for protests, or didn’t make insensitive comments. (One mans smart-ass tease is another mans soul-searing insult.) Times were different. Crazy. Brown v. Board of Education was only 15 years old. Southern schools were still fighting integration. 1970 was the year of the Kent State shootings and also the year Kentucky had its first black basketball player and Bear Bryant‘s STILL ALL WHITE (!) Alabama team lost to an integrated Southern Cal at Legion Field in Alabama - the game that broke the back of segregation in SEC sports. Turbulent times. Very little “hugging it out.”

For the times, and by comparison, Pont was a raging liberal from snooty east coast Yale.

In terms of expectations this is easily one of, if not the worst season in IU history and that says something. Wilson went 1-11 in year one with a bunch of freshman and sophomores and upperclassmen who had no business playing in the B10. IU currently has 2 wins, one against a bad FCS team and a 2 point win against Western Kentucky. Lose on Saturday, and IU is going to finish 2-10 and 0-9 in the B10. That's a fireable offense in my opinion.
I thought this was the best returning STARTING team in my life. But it turns out we were mentally weak. Not ready to play at Iowa. Impacted by crowd noise. Incapable of overcoming big mistakes. And - to be fair - we lost key players, which we were also incapable of getting past.

Too much hype - not enough nuts and bolts.

Elvis was right - a little less talk and a lot more action!

That article omits a “last straw” issue that was mentioned in the past.

I recall that there was going to be a day long general “strike” by IU students to support civil rights. No class attendance, no practice for arts or sports. (“Gonna have a sit-in and then some sex, drugs and music!“) As well-known students, the black players were being pressured to skip practice and support the strike. They talked to Pont, and Pont told them if they skipped practice they’d be suspended. “Rules is rules.” Most skipped practice anyway and Pont suspended them. They wanted to talk about it again. He wasnt gonna talk. It snowballed, on top of the other complaints, and he tossed them off the team. “Insubordination“ type of claim.

There had been boycotts elsewhere already. Iowa had had an ugly one. IU wasn’t unique as to reasons or outcome.

I know of no football coach back then who allowed players to miss practice for protests, or didn’t make insensitive comments. (One mans smart-ass tease is another mans soul-searing insult.) Times were different. Crazy. Brown v. Board of Education was only 15 years old. Southern schools were still fighting integration. 1970 was the year of the Kent State shootings and also the year Kentucky had its first black basketball player and Bear Bryant‘s STILL ALL WHITE (!) Alabama team lost to an integrated Southern Cal at Legion Field in Alabama - the game that broke the back of segregation in SEC sports. Turbulent times. Very little “hugging it out.”

For the times, and by comparison, Pont was a raging liberal from snooty east coast Yale.
and for one brief, shining moment John Pont was “10 feet tall”

Our recruiting has led us here. Allen benefitted from Wilson’s recruits to start and then got lucky with some underrated kids who went to HS with his son. After that it’s been a train wreck.

Everyone wants to blame the OL coach. Look at the talent he’s dealing with. Someone please give me some high level line recruits we’ve gotten since Allen has been HC.

This is why you don’t hire high school coaches. They don’t have the recruiting contacts. They don’t know the recruiting game. And we’re going to have to deal with the fallout.

CTA spent 10 years as a college coach prior to being named head coach of Indiana University. Five of those seasons he was either DC and/or Assistant Head Coach. Sounds like he had progressed quite well after being a "...high school coach."

But hey, don't let these facts interfere with your Purdue company line. You do you.

A lot of parallels between 2008 and 2021, but I'd rank 2008 as worse.... for now.

Both years we come off a bowl game with a good quarterback (Kellen Lewis/Michael Penix).

Both years we started with the expectation of making a bowl game, then lost to mid-majors in week 3 (Ball State/Cincinnati) by multiple scores at home.

Both years we had a chance to make up for the loss by upsetting MSU in our home conference opener, only to play them competitive and lose.

Both years we then had a road game that was winnable against a conference opponent to keep our bowl hopes alive, but couldn't win (Minnesota/Maryland).

The difference being, in 2008 we got absolutely blown out by below .500 teams. We lost by 42 to a 5-7 Illinois team. Then when we played a 3-8 Purdue team who beat us by 52. We haven't had any of those awful results.... yet. I don't anticipate Rutgers winning by 40+ next week.

A win against Rutgers could be parlayed into a win over a Minnesota team that has shown they can lose to anybody. That would put us at 4-7 heading into West Lafayette.

Next season we open with Northwestern, Nebraska, Maryland, and Rutgers as our Big Ten opponents. This is far preferable to Iowa, Penn State, Michigan State, and Ohio State. Non-conference is the same except Cincinnati will be without Ridder and will have 8 new defensive starters. I'm far more optimistic about next year than I was about this year given the brutal schedule we had. But just like this year, we need a healthy Michael Penix and good offensive line play to make a bowl.
I agree by & large. This years team was expected to be, & should have been even better than those expectations were in '08, plus this team was coming off of 2 good seasons, so it was a solidified
"program" we had/have coming into this year, so for me this year is a bigger disappointment, but I agree that this team has had a FAR tougher schedule than the '08 team did, & I think we're far more likely to bounce back next season because the roster is in much better shape than it was in '08. Remember the '09 team though? EASILY Billy Lynch's best team--we were SO close to having a good year, but lack of depth sunk us time & time again. Shame, that team played same truly brilliant 1st halves.

I seriously think this season has to rank at the top or near the top of all time worst coaching performances in IU football history. When you take into account the momentum we had coming into the season coupled with returning nearly all of the talent from last year, what a train wreck this has been. We had experience and depth in nearly every position and better talent than many IU teams of the past. Sure out schedule is tough but it's tough every year. We should still be at least a 7-5 team but will be lucky to win 4 games. Injuries aside we have simply underperformed in a huge way. We have looked sloppy and undisciplined all season. Certain players look like a shell of their former selves. The D has had some decent moments but seems to have been worn down due to getting zero help from our inept offense and calling it inept is being kind.

No valid excuse for us not being a top 30 team. We might not even be a top 100 team at this point.

In light of the pre-season expectations, has an IU football team ever so completely layed an egg like we're doing this season?
agree except for one thing--without Tuttle--and where is he--we don't win another game--Rutgers will beat us--sorry guys !!

I agree by & large. This years team was expected to be, & should have been even better than those expectations were in '08, plus this team was coming off of 2 good seasons, so it was a solidified
"program" we had/have coming into this year, so for me this year is a bigger disappointment, but I agree that this team has had a FAR tougher schedule than the '08 team did, & I think we're far more likely to bounce back next season because the roster is in much better shape than it was in '08. Remember the '09 team though? EASILY Billy Lynch's best team--we were SO close to having a good year, but lack of depth sunk us time & time again. Shame, that team played same truly brilliant 1st halves.
The 2009 team was screwed over by the Big Ten officials. There were three games that year in conference play that the officials had a blatant hand in deciding the outcome. Michigan, Iowa, and the other game escapes me...

You often hear people say that you just have to play through bad calls, but when your margin for winning is thin, it just doesn't work that way.

The 2009 team was screwed over by the Big Ten officials. There were three games that year in conference play that the officials had a blatant hand in deciding the outcome. Michigan, Iowa, and the other game escapes me...

You often hear people say that you just have to play through bad calls, but when your margin for winning is thin, it just doesn't work that way.
Probably either Penn State or Northwestern.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and td75
That's what I was wondering, too. It would be nice to hear the other side of the accusations. Northwestern didn't waste any time in welcoming Pont's "checkered" past. Sometimes all it takes is one player to be disgruntled over playing time and it spoils the whole bunch, but who really knows. The same goes with the Wilson firing. One parent can complain, the word spreads, and next thing you know, the coach is gone and on to a more prestigious gig. Are parents still complaining at Ohio State over their sons being forced to play hurt? It's a funny world, not just now, but even back then. Everyone always thinks they need to be doing better and the reason they're not is always due to someone else's fault. There was IU at 9-1 heading to the Rose Bowl for the first time in history under the guidance of the well respected savior of IU football, John Pont, the racist. He proved to be a wolf in sheep's clothing-one who hated blacked skinned players so much that he played poorer performing white ones instead of better black ones. This kind of shit only happens at IU, I swear.
Wilson isn't the head coach at osu so doubt he has much say in kids playing hurt

Wilson isn't the head coach at osu so doubt he has much say in kids playing hurt
H-m-m-m, maybe but I bet he has a big influence on the head Honcho, a coach under a lot of pressure. It's a mighty fine line, I imagine it to be. If a kid says he wants to play, you think the coaches will argue?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT