ADVERTISEMENT

All for running the 2-3 zone

C'mon, man, they closed down years ago and just recently tore down the building. Sheesh.
Okay, Texas Roadhouse or Longhorn Steakhouse. It might be Arby’s. Doesn’t matter, just a free deal. Could have said free pizza from Eric Gordon’s Greek’s Pizzeria but I didn’t, having maybe should’a if I only would’a.

There are always openings in a zone , but a good team will rotate into those openings when someone on the offense fills the opening . Thats the game , offense tries to find the opening , and defense tries to take it away . Whoever does their part best wins .

• Love
Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
Back in the day it was a pretty decent steak house. I don't know why it went out of business. Pretty sure it was before Covid.
Bobby was set to retire and his daughter was to take over but she passed away. I went to school with her. He opened it for her.

Reactions: UncleMark
For the rest of the year raise your hand.
I'd not get carried away. The zone was huge for us tonight, but bad man defenders are bad zone defenders and a good team will shred the zone the way played tonight. I think work on it and keep it in the arsenal because it does help protect our bigs, who will get in foul trouble again, and it helps with rebounding because it keeps our bigs near the basket, but there's still a lot to of work to do on defense and offense.

Bobby was set to retire and his daughter was to take over but she passed away. I went to school with her. He opened it for her.
I used to treat our church's youth pastor to dinner and ball game every year. This was back in the 80's when The General was at the helm and I still had season tickets. Being a meat and potatoes kind of guy that I knew he was, we always went to either the Colorado Steakhouse as we got into town from Indy, or Bynum's in Martinsville. I figured it would give me a few extra plusses on the good side of the ledger for when my time on earth had come to past, now standing before the Pearly Gate real estate, waiting to see if I get in. The drum roll (snare) continues, to be followed by a clash of cymbal.

Doubt we'll ever see a zone offense that bad again. They had no idea what to do. Better to keep working on a real defense though. Save that for very limited use to catch them off-guard.

Gotta be willing to take jump shots around the FT line. A shot that no one seems to feel comfortable taking anyone. They’d rather chuck a 22 footer.
I've been thinking, who is going to be making JHS's mid-range jump shots in West Laffy this year? He alone saved the day for us there with his 35 pt effort.

Doubt we'll ever see a zone offense that bad again. They had no idea what to do. Better to keep working on a real defense though. Save that for very limited use to catch them off-guard.
Yep, keep working on it to test teams and see if you can throw them off, protect our bigs, etc... but a good team wouldn't have trouble with how our zone looked last night. Lotsa gaps!

Reactions: Bucket Getter
I've been thinking, who is going to be making JHS's mid-range jump shots in West Laffy this year? He alone saved the day for us there with his 35 pt effort.
someone who wants to make them. We have lots of candidates who should be able to: Trey, CJ, Kaleb and Mackenzie. Who will step up? Thought maybe it would be MM with his start, but then 2 quick fouls and lots of others stepped up and he disappeared. Hopefully something clicked with Kaleb last night, I thought he played terrific!

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
I’m predicting two ugly rugby matches on the court this year.
I have not watched PU play this year and won't until they play us. I hate them that much. I imagine they'll be a little bit better than last season. However, I like this team of ours for we have some big bodies underneath. We have length. Now, if we only had outside shooters, say, a Jordie Hulls or kid named Alford. I'd even settle for a Coverdale.

Our big men hit their free throws fairly well, outside of Sparks, who needs to be reminded its a basketball he's tossing, not putting a heavy metal shot as if shot put in track and field.

His shot looks good coming off his hands and he is 6'8 and can get it whenever he wants.
Johnson's broken-arm-push-shot method is hitting three-pointers at 50% this year so far.

Galloway is the one I'm hoping will become a good three-pointer shooter, but he likes to spin and drive for layups instead.

Johnson's broken-arm-push-shot method is hitting three-pointers at 50% this year so far.

Galloway is the one I'm hoping will become a good three-pointer shooter, but he likes to spin and drive for layups instead.
Galloway got all his threes standing still wide open last year because of TJD being quadruple teamed. He is pulling a will sheehey. When he is looked at as a primary contributor he regresses. His defense isn’t good enough to keep him on the court IMO. I’d play Gunn over him for sure. Gunn is better at D too.

I'd not get carried away. The zone was huge for us tonight, but bad man defenders are bad zone defenders and a good team will shred the zone the way played tonight. I think work on it and keep it in the arsenal because it does help protect our bigs, who will get in foul trouble again, and it helps with rebounding because it keeps our bigs near the basket, but there's still a lot to of work to do on defense and offense.
I had no idea they were even practicing the zone. With all these new players, it's amazing that a complicated defense like that worked so well yesterday.

• Haha
I had no idea they were even practicing the zone. With all these new players, it's amazing that a complicated defense like that worked so well yesterday.
Not sure if you're being sarcastic, but they said they do practice a zone, but not often. All these guys have been playing a zone since they were kids, so not a foreign concept. Plus, it didn't look like a good aggressive zone, but it was enough to throw Louisville, stop their drives, protect our bigs and help us close out possessions so it was a great move.

Galloway got all his threes standing still wide open last year because of TJD being quadruple teamed. He is pulling a will sheehey. When he is looked at as a primary contributor he regresses. His defense isn’t good enough to keep him on the court IMO. I’d play Gunn over him for sure. Gunn is better at D too.
I think Galloway could work in the Kopp type 3 spot with MM at the stretch 4. Galloway would be wide open. The problem is the posts aren’t good passing to the weak side.

Reactions: .Gerdis
I like Gunn’s potential and his defense. IMO, he has a ways to go to get more mins than Galloway. Yesterday was not a good game for TG, but I like him on the pick and roll for the floater, the layup, or the lob. Gunn doesn’t bring those options yet. And neither are shooting well. But yeah - Gunn and Banks are developing and earning minutes.

Reactions: MrBing and bawlmer
Back in the day it was a pretty decent steak house. I don't know why it went out of business. Pretty sure it was before Covid.
Last time I was there, which was probably about 18 years ago now the piece of meat they served me was rotten. I don’t miss it…

More zone is definitely IU's best chance of winning this season. That is without question for me.
I think you'll change your mind if you see the zone the way it looked yesterday against a good team with good shooters. I think UCONN would've shredded it. Yesterday was more about Lvilles ineptitude on O in beating it than how we were playing.

It's worth keeping around because I'm sure we'll need to protect our bigs or try to throw off another team, but I think it's way more important to improve our man D and if we're playing it better, I think our zone will look better too.

Seems like Ware tried a few but they were a bit too strong. If he dials it in he might be good at it.

This team needs to switch it up often to different zone defenses to keep opponents off-guard! We have the size, speed, and length to run a good zone!
My favorite type of zone is the 1-3-1. Surprised I don’t see that as often as I used to in cbball! I know the good way to break a 1-3-1 is having good corner shooters and opposite corner screens/cuts to the basket, but it has less holes than what a 2-3 zone can give up. 3-2 zone is a good zone too, but not for our type of team.
We aren’t a good man-to-man team because players don’t communicate well with each other on screens and switches. 2-3 zone, there are no switches and should only be used in certain situations like the end of yesterdays game. It may be good to give our players a rest on D or help them maybe stay out of foul trouble at times, but the majority of NCAA teams know how to easily beat the 2-3. A team like IU can’t be one-dimensional and just run man-to-man all game every game! A good coach switches their defenses up many times a game to see which one works best for that certain opponent. Hope CMW does this more often come B10 season.

We aren’t a good man-to-man team because players don’t communicate well with each other on screens and switches.
Hard difficult can it be to communicate on the court!. Are they shy? Would a crash course in public speaking be the answer? How about a good butt chewing to boot? (Or is that better left for ass-kicking?)

Imagine the reaction from good ol IU faithful 20+ years ago if Mike Davis said it wasn’t his idea to play a 2/3 zone and that someone mentioned it in the huddle. My how times have changed.

Imagine the reaction from good ol IU faithful 20+ years ago if Mike Davis said it wasn’t his idea to play a 2/3 zone and that someone mentioned it in the huddle. My how times have changed.
If he won games with it, I don't think anyone would complain.

If we'd lost the game last night, what would the reaction here have been?

If he won games with it, I don't think anyone would complain.

If we'd lost the game last night, what would the reaction here have been?
The reaction would have been...at least we tried something different. We were getting beaten pretty badly in man at that point.

This team needs to switch it up often to different zone defenses to keep opponents off-guard! We have the size, speed, and length to run a good zone!
My favorite type of zone is the 1-3-1. Surprised I don’t see that as often as I used to in cbball! I know the good way to break a 1-3-1 is having good corner shooters and opposite corner screens/cuts to the basket, but it has less holes than what a 2-3 zone can give up. 3-2 zone is a good zone too, but not for our type of team.
We aren’t a good man-to-man team because players don’t communicate well with each other on screens and switches. 2-3 zone, there are no switches and should only be used in certain situations like the end of yesterdays game. It may be good to give our players a rest on D or help them maybe stay out of foul trouble at times, but the majority of NCAA teams know how to easily beat the 2-3. A team like IU can’t be one-dimensional and just run man-to-man all game every game! A good coach switches their defenses up many times a game to see which one works best for that certain opponent. Hope CMW does this more often come B10 season.

I would love to see 5 good minutes of 1-3-1 trap against Purdue to see how disoriented they look without the ball in smiths hands.

Kinda nice to know that one of the 6 assistants actually muttered something during a game. Unless it was Leal standing in the back and Woody just heard a voice.

For the rest of the year raise your hand.
So two starters who struggle to move their feet had 4 fouls and couldn’t be expected to last the game before fouling out. I’ll raise my hand for the next time we have starters in foul trouble …. But not as the new IU DNA … that would be sacrilege.

To be honest I would like to see a 1-3-1 with our length I could see alot of steals but any zone will help the fouls.
Not sure we have the baseline athlete for a 1-3-1 … Trey would be taxed running sideline to sideline.

Louisville’s Lancaster Gordon made the 1-3-1 go for Crum. The closest athletic match is now playing for the Terps, and Scoop is elsewhere too.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT