ADVERTISEMENT

All for running the 2-3 zone

I’m kind of shocked that they played the zone so well. Great job with the full court pressure into the 2-3 zone. UL was down to 17 or 18 seconds before they really started any offense. With their overall length and Ware in the middle, it’s a nice weapon to have.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
What was half assed about it? They covered the perimeter and rebounded remarkably well considering they don't play zone often.
There was a whole lot of standing around. Only got back cut once for a dunk. Shows that Kenny and Danny aren’t that bright. But yes, they did get most of the rebounds. I really don’t care what defense they play as long as they rebound.

Nice in game adjustment by Woodson. IU probably doesn't win this one if their guards kept breaking us down and getting into the paint. Great job coach.

Still of the mind I haven't seen Coach Woodson make a strategic or tactical mistake having bearing on a game or the program. But the tactical shift to zone to break the momentum of that little guard was bit brilliance. Once he pulled the trigger I don't believe L'ville hit another trey either. What's strategic is now every opponent has to prepare for both man and zone. But I do wish he'd learn how to coach collegiate round ball. SOON! HA!

Nice in game adjustment by Woodson. IU probably doesn't win this one if their guards kept breaking us down and getting into the paint. Great job coach.
Did you happen to notice the timing of the zone? Kenny pulled #4 right before we went to it. Clark is much happier to launch off-balance 30-footers than that little dude. By the time he put him back in, we had the lead and had regained control. Of course he had 4 fouls too, so maybe Kenny didn’t have much of a choice. Tasmanian Devil sort of player.

Woody on post Fisch interview said somebody suggested it in the huddle and he said what the heck.
He is not a fan of zone
If I’m the assistant coach that suggested it, I’d be a little salty woody didn’t give me credit by name. That’s how assistants get recognized as future head coaches. Hell, maybe it was Leal. He’s become a de facto assistant.

Totally shocking to see a half-assed 2-3 completely befuddle a team that was ripping us to shreds in the man. Credit to Woody.
Louisville helped our zone with a 26.3% three-point shooting percentage (5-19). After we thwarted their drives, it did them little good to pass outside for three-point shots. If they nailed their three-pointers, they would have won.

Ware and Reneau learned how to play with four fouls, too.

It’s a fun team to watch. A bit of new look not recently seen…some authority underneath with a good mix of burly with the squirrely not backing down in stand of ground.

I’m proud of the way they handled the adversity.

On Don’s post game wrap up, Woodson did say someone suggested the 2-3 zone and he said, “Why not?”. He still gets credit for it and who suggested it gets a free Rancher’s Rib-eye at Colorado Steakhouse or whatever it is they might call their thick and juicy’s, barked in smoky crust.

Louisville helped our zone with a 26.3% three-point shooting percentage (5-19). After we thwarted their drives, it did them little good to pass outside for three-point shots. If they nailed their three-pointers, they would have won.

We were 1-11... I think Mack is hitting these come February. Keep shooting Mack, you are our only hope!!!

Late shot clock 3s are usually low percentage.

We were 1-11... I think Mack is hitting these come February. Keep shooting Mack, you are our only hope!!!
Cav, no offense, and I really hope you’re right, but I feel like we’ve heard this before. What exactly do you believe will change from now to then?

If I’m the assistant coach that suggested it, I’d be a little salty woody didn’t give me credit by name. That’s how assistants get recognized as future head coaches. Hell, maybe it was Leal. He’s become a de facto assistant.
Lol, it probably was Leal. His high school coach was far better than anything we've seen at IU for a long long time.

He still gets credit for it and who suggested it gets a free Rancher’s Rib-eye at Colorado Steakhouse or whatever it is they might call their thick and juicy’s, barked in smoky crust.

C'mon, man, they closed down years ago and just recently tore down the building. Sheesh.

C'mon, man, they closed down years ago and just recently tore down the building. Sheesh.
I went there in college on taco night, .50 cents or something. I was sober at the time, and my asian buddy could eat about a million tacos and wasn't a drinker. The owner was pissed and made some comment that we were suppose to drink if we came to taco night.

Never went back!!

I think Woody likes the zone now a lot more than he did an hour ago. Going forward hopefully it will keep the bigs out of foul trouble.
It is a good tool to have available. Maybe we can become good at it and use it to break momentum. It would be fun to use it for an entire game to see how we do with it.

I went there in college on taco night, .50 cents or something. I was sober at the time, and my asian buddy could eat about a million tacos and wasn't a drinker. The owner was pissed and made some comment that we were suppose to drink if we came to taco night.

Never went back!!

Back in the day it was a pretty decent steak house. I don't know why it went out of business. Pretty sure it was before Covid.

Reactions: Cavanagh
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT