ADVERTISEMENT

Alford Note

fpeaugh

All-American
Sep 19, 2001
This probably isn't Earth shattering, but Alford has made it known to certain people that he would take the IU job if offered.

As I've mentioned several times, there are a couple very influential people lobbying for Alford. Not saying he's the next coach but Alford would take it if offered, and he's definitely going to be considered by the administration. I don't think he's the top choice at the moment but the interest is definitely mutual.

On a side note, no one seems to know about Donovan. I don't think he's given an answer one way or the other.

This probably isn't Earth shattering, but Alford has made it known to certain people that he would take the IU job if offered.

As I've mentioned several times, there are a couple very influential people lobbying for Alford. Not saying he's the next coach but Alford would take it if offered, and he's definitely going to be considered by the administration. I don't think he's the top choice at the moment but the interest is definitely mutual.

On a side note, no one seems to know about Donovan. I don't think he's given an answer one way or the other.
Anybody know if he's got a "dream job" clause in his UCLA contract that changes the buyout?

There is a strong argument for him, especially with how much we as fans value the history of IU basketball. I don't agree IU needs one of their own, but there is merit to it I suppose. I'm not sure how that negates the fact he will likely get paid 5-6mil and hasn't been past the S16.

Reactions: mazz

On Peegs there is a poster who is basically your "twin" when it comes to predicting the Crean firing.

He said it's a "done deal" that Donovan is coming to IU.

There is a strong argument for him, especially with how much we as fans value the history of IU basketball. I don't agree IU needs one of their own, but there is merit to it I suppose. I'm not sure how that negates the fact he will likely get paid 5-6mil and hasn't been past the S16.
If we can't land Donovan (it sounds like that's still within the realm of possibility), I'd be okay with Alford. He may not be the best coach available, but his ties to the state and the University and the fan base ought to be a boost to recruiting the sate. Getting great talent can make up for a lot of shortcomings.

There was once a time when I would have been a huge supporter of Alford to Indiana. No more. Certainly not after the rape issue at Iowa. I would take Archie over Alford, and I have Archie behind others.

If we can't land Donovan (it sounds like that's still within the realm of possibility), I'd be okay with Alford. He may not be the best coach available, but his ties to the state and the University and the fan base ought to be a boost to recruiting the sate. Getting great talent can make up for a lot of shortcomings.

I respect this position, and would give my support. I still feel this is too personal of a hire. but I agree he would hit the ground running with recruiting the state.

Reactions: BigNutsIUFan

Horrible if true. Bad coach, never past the Sweet 16, blew two #3 seeds, teams don't play defense, couldn't even make the NCAAs last year with that talent in a poor Pac 12. Surprisingly awful judgment with Pierce at Iowa. Please say no.

What about the buyout. Think i saw something about 10 million. I would hate to pay 10 mil for buyout and then a 5 to 6 mil for Alford

It's in the contract that I linked. Before April 30, 2017, it's $7.8M. After that it's $5.2M. McRobbie didn't want IU to pay Crean the $7.2M (or whatever it was last year). No way he allows the $4M to Crean plus whatever the amount to UCLA would be. If UCLA makes a deep run then UCLA will want nearly all of the buyout. If UCLA ducks out early, then does IU want a coach that can't make a deep run? (And UCLA knowing how much IU wants Alford and how much Alford wants the IU job would push for most to all of the buyout). I don't see Alford happening. Never mind the rape issue, which is a big deal to many.

Anyone that would support Alford over Archie is brain-dead and I wouldn't bother carrying on a conversation with them.

You are exhibit A for why I'm comfortable supporting Alford. You are afraid of just how stupid you are going to look if he were to come to IU. That fear drives you make your argument with insults.

I wouldn't need to know anything about the subject matter to know that I hold the opposite view to someone who makes their argument in such a fashion.

You are exhibit A for why I'm comfortable supporting Alford. You are afraid of just how stupid you are going to look if he were to come to IU. That fear drives you make your argument with insults.

I wouldn't need to know anything about the subject matter to know that I hold the opposite view to someone who makes their argument in such a fashion.

Are you his dad? You have been on the Alford band wagon forever. How many burnouts does he need before you own that he isn't that good a coach? He's worse than Crean. At least Crean went to a Final Four and actually won two Big Ten titles. At least Crean has gone to the Sweet 16 four times. Crean had to rebuild two programs. What exactly has Alford done OTHER than wear an Indiana jersey that makes him a better coach, or in your words miles better? Which is an absurd statement based on any measurement.

What a downgrade. UCLA fans won't even spend a waking second being sad about it, which should tell you everything you need to know. There is word UCLA will even drop the buyout.

I'd take Alford but would rather get Bennett, Archie, Marshall or Donovan first. I have no doubt that Alford would come. Dakich made a good point on Mike and Mike that coaching UCLA when the other 2 Ball bro's come is not going to be a picnic. The next will be on the bench and dad wants them one and done.

Reactions: UKphotoman
I'd take Alford but would rather get Bennett, Archie, Marshall or Donovan first. I have no doubt that Alford would come. Dakich made a good point on Mike and Mike that coaching UCLA when the other 2 Ball bro's come is not going to be a picnic. The next will be on the bench and dad wants them one and done.

Dakich and mike & mike in the same sentence. I think I just got 2nd hand self-important loser.

I've heard similar things about Donovan and Alford...though some seem confident that Donovan will be IU's next coach...we will see...

Alford is in the NCAA tournament with a team that has high expectations.....If they flame out...we will likely hear that they were distracted by the head coach dealing with his IU problem...so I guess that is a ready-made excuse for the early exit.....and Steve can pack his bags....yet once again before the sharks and alligators catch up.

Do you know who the top candidates are at this point?

On Peegs there is a poster who is basically your "twin" when it comes to predicting the Crean firing.

He said it's a "done deal" that Donovan is coming to IU.
Obviously I hope he's right. I haven't heard that and I'd be shocked if anything is a done deal right now. I'll ask around.

Reactions: echs86
Chill out bro. @feaugh went out on a limb on something that any sensible person realized was a done deal. He's not the gospel, and he should stop pimping himself out as such.
You're right I'm far from the gospel. I actually know very little about most things in this world. But I was never out on a limb regarding Crean.

You're right I'm far from the gospel. I actually know very little about most things in this world. But I was never out on a limb regarding Crean.

I believed you, doubted you, hated you, loved you. But I have to ask...

Do you know when this decision was actually made? It wasn't Wednesday night, that I know. But at what point in the season did it become inevitable?

Reactions: calhoun26
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT