ADVERTISEMENT

Aaron Hernandez--victim

you and your Old.White.Male ilk in taking for granted the unearned white power you blithely wield and abuse

I see that nuance isn't your long suit either. Do you pass this incoherent racist bigotry on to your kids and grandkids?

it is interesting that the main point of the OP seems to be a complaint about the NFL rather than explore the implications of Hernandez's CTE. https://concussionfoundation.org/CTE-resources/what-is-CTE
Every person diagnosed with CTE has one thing in common: a history of repetitive hits to the head.1 CTE is most often found in contact sport athletes and military veterans, likely because these are some of the only roles in modern life that involve purposeful, repetitive hits to the head. CTE has been found in individuals whose primary exposure to head impacts was through tackle football (200+ cases confirmed at the VA-BU-CLF Brain Bank), the military (25+ cases), hockey (20+ cases), boxing (15+ cases, 50+ globally), rugby (5+ cases), soccer (5+ cases, 10+ globally), pro wrestling (5+ cases), and, in fewer than three cases each, baseball, basketball, intimate partner violence, and individuals with developmental disorders who engaged in head banging behaviors.​

What does CTE do to people?
Early symptoms of CTE usually appear in a patient's late 20s or 30s, and affect a patient's mood and behavior. Some common changes seen include impulse control problems, aggression, depression, and paranoia.

As the disease progresses, some patients may experience problems with thinking and memory, including memory loss, confusion, impaired judgment, and eventually progressive dementia. Cognitive symptoms tend to appear later than mood and behavioral symptoms, and generally first appear in a patient’s 40s or 50s. Patients may exhibit one or both symptom clusters. In some cases, symptoms worsen with time (even if the patient suffers no additional head impacts). In other cases, symptoms may be stable for years before worsening.​

Hernandez plausibly seems to be a victim as well as a criminal.

Hard to think of anything more antithetical to the mission of educational institutions than creating long term brain injuries for students. Institutions such as the University of Chicago dropped football in the 1920s. They look prescient. But many, many others continue to make HUGE investments in football. Why does the support for football remain so strong? Perhaps the fundamental lesson that football teaches is the achievement of victory for the team is more important than even the life and health of the individual. The individual literally sacrifices their body for the team to win. If the sport produced no casualties then no real sacrifice would be possible. Many fans continue to feel ennobled by the sacrifice and feel that the lessons are ennobling for others. They may not let their kids play but they will continue to buy tickets to the show and to demand that the show goes on.
In many sitcoms, the opening scene will present a small, stand-alone story. The episode may return to this story at the very end, or it may not. It doesn't matter. The actual theme of the episode isn't to be found in this opening scene; it serves only to segue into the main story which follows, which represents the narrative the writers actually want to explore in the episode.

It's interesting to me that Hernandez was supposedly a very nice kid when he was in his teens. Do I think CTE made him become the monster he was? No...but I'd bet if he had a "severe" case of it, then it probably did contribute to his behavioral problems. This is a guy who in all likelihood gunned someone down who accidentally spilled a drink on him at a bar. That's not the sort of person that is in his right mind.

With all that said, what about the 99% of people who have had CTE over the years and were able to peacefully live out their lives? Also, you have to wonder about PEDs when it comes to the NFL. What effects are they having on the brain?

If I had children, I'd try to steer them away from playing football. I played through high school and although I was pretty good at it, I don't think it's all that fun to play. Especially if you played defense, like me. At least when you're a soccer player you get the ball every now and then.

it is interesting that the main point of the OP seems to be a complaint about the NFL rather than explore the implications of Hernandez's CTE. https://concussionfoundation.org/CTE-resources/what-is-CTE
Every person diagnosed with CTE has one thing in common: a history of repetitive hits to the head.1 CTE is most often found in contact sport athletes and military veterans, likely because these are some of the only roles in modern life that involve purposeful, repetitive hits to the head. CTE has been found in individuals whose primary exposure to head impacts was through tackle football (200+ cases confirmed at the VA-BU-CLF Brain Bank), the military (25+ cases), hockey (20+ cases), boxing (15+ cases, 50+ globally), rugby (5+ cases), soccer (5+ cases, 10+ globally), pro wrestling (5+ cases), and, in fewer than three cases each, baseball, basketball, intimate partner violence, and individuals with developmental disorders who engaged in head banging behaviors.​

What does CTE do to people?
Early symptoms of CTE usually appear in a patient's late 20s or 30s, and affect a patient's mood and behavior. Some common changes seen include impulse control problems, aggression, depression, and paranoia.

As the disease progresses, some patients may experience problems with thinking and memory, including memory loss, confusion, impaired judgment, and eventually progressive dementia. Cognitive symptoms tend to appear later than mood and behavioral symptoms, and generally first appear in a patient’s 40s or 50s. Patients may exhibit one or both symptom clusters. In some cases, symptoms worsen with time (even if the patient suffers no additional head impacts). In other cases, symptoms may be stable for years before worsening.​

Hernandez plausibly seems to be a victim as well as a criminal.

Hard to think of anything more antithetical to the mission of educational institutions than creating long term brain injuries for students. Institutions such as the University of Chicago dropped football in the 1920s. They look prescient. But many, many others continue to make HUGE investments in football. Why does the support for football remain so strong? Perhaps the fundamental lesson that football teaches is the achievement of victory for the team is more important than even the life and health of the individual. The individual literally sacrifices their body for the team to win. If the sport produced no casualties then no real sacrifice would be possible. Many fans continue to feel ennobled by the sacrifice and feel that the lessons are ennobling for others. They may not let their kids play but they will continue to buy tickets to the show and to demand that the show goes on.

It's interesting to me that Hernandez was supposedly a very nice kid when he was in his teens. Do I think CTE made him become the monster he was? No...but I'd bet if he had a "severe" case of it, then it probably did contribute to his behavioral problems.
If AH was a very nice kid before football and a monster after then CTE seems like a pretty reasonable explanation for the change. Maybe there were other factors too? Is anyone (besides the NFL) particularly vested in the thesis that CTE is not to blame?

If AH was a very nice kid before football and a monster after then CTE seems like a pretty reasonable explanation for the change. Maybe there were other factors too? Is anyone (besides the NFL) particularly vested in the thesis that CTE is not to blame?
His father died when Hernandez was a teenager. Precedes a lot of people abandoning their moorings.

All that is true, and with nothing more than crazy guesswork on my part, I suspect there may be some relation between PTSD and CTE. Not the same disease, but similar.
Maybe. For as much as we know about PTSD we still know virtually nothing about it. For instance, we are still (for the large part), not able to discern a case of real PTSD and a case of temporary coping with change and trauma. The statistics on the number of PTSD disability claims filed by veterans is repugnant (at least it is to me) given that only about 10% of forces have ever seen combat.

CTE physically damages the brain. I think PTSD is more a symptom of perkhaps some physical damage but also emotional damage. Think of PTSD as a Venn diagram with physical damage in one circle and unrelated emotional damage in the other.

In many sitcoms, the opening scene will present a small, stand-alone story. The episode may return to this story at the very end, or it may not. It doesn't matter. The actual theme of the episode isn't to be found in this opening scene; it serves only to segue into the main story which follows, which represents the narrative the writers actually want to explore in the episode.
And they do this in the best Bond films.

True, but how many people become that untethered from their moorings? He was an honor student in HS and was able to graduate HS early. He also won the Pop Warner Inspiration to Youth Award. I agree that his father's death probably had something to do with it, but CTE also may have played a significant role in his behavioral changes.

We'll never know.

His father died when Hernandez was a teenager. Precedes a lot of people abandoning their moorings.

True, but how many people become that untethered from their moorings? He was an honor student in HS and was able to graduate HS early. He also won the Pop Warner Inspiration to Youth Award. I agree that his father's death probably had something to do with it, but CTE also may have played a significant role in his behavioral changes.

We'll never know.

You can never rule out steroid use in the NFL. It’s more prominent than you think. New synthetics that there is no test for are always coming out and there are other ways to beat tests. I don’t know if Hernandez did them or not, but this can also lead to short term and long term psychological effects on a person. And to anyone who thinks “we’d know about it if a lot of NFL guys were using”, just look at MLB. These guys were juicing for a good decade, probably longer, before there was any fuss about it.

Reactions: DrHoops
I wonder how it would affect perceptions if it turned out that OJ Simpson suffers from chronic traumatic encephalopathy.

Increasingly few parents allow their kids to play football. This means the game is already beginning to end, even though the NFL has never been richer.

Football is ingrained into my earliest memories, and like IU basketball, it's embedded in the architecture of my life with family and friends. But the NFL is a greedy, stupid, dishonest organization comprised of owners whose collective decision to pay Roger Goodell $40 million/year disproves any notion that rich people are intrinsically bright.

I'm still watching though.

32 Billionaires pooling together to give a scapegoat 40 million dollars a year is dumb? They get off scot-free while they parade Goodell out there to enforce their rules and be the fall man.

Methinks it's a good investment by them in the end.

I do see that Trump came out in favor of concussions in the NFL tonight, in his speech urging the NFL to fire players. It is a rare mind to side with concussions.

The Sociopath-in-Chief speaks about efforts to address the appalling incidence of chronic traumatic encephalopathy:

Regarding his nostalgia for the dangerous hits that college and pro football have been trying to take out of the game, Trump said: “Today if you hit too hard—15 yards! Throw him out of the game! They had that last week. I watched for a couple of minutes. Two guys, just really, beautiful tackle. Boom, 15 yards! The referee gets on television—his wife is sitting at home, she’s so proud of him. They’re ruining the game! They’re ruining the game. That’s what they want to do. They want to hit. They want to hit! It is hurting the game.​

Reactions: Marvin the Martian
The Sociopath-in-Chief speaks about efforts to address the appalling incidence of chronic traumatic encephalopathy:

Regarding his nostalgia for the dangerous hits that college and pro football have been trying to take out of the game, Trump said: “Today if you hit too hard—15 yards! Throw him out of the game! They had that last week. I watched for a couple of minutes. Two guys, just really, beautiful tackle. Boom, 15 yards! The referee gets on television—his wife is sitting at home, she’s so proud of him. They’re ruining the game! They’re ruining the game. That’s what they want to do. They want to hit. They want to hit! It is hurting the game.​

Just a subtle tip of the hat to the UFC, WWE, NASCAR crowd that represents Trump. So many men who can’t wait to have their manliness stroked by another man.

I found the Ted Talk that describes concussions. It seems to me if the issue is subconcussive hits, fighter pilots may have similar issues.

Ted talk

Go easy on dotards.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT