ADVERTISEMENT

A name came to mind listening to Glass

iubud

Hall of Famer
Aug 7, 2003
Randy Wittman. I'm not endorsing him or here to campaign against him. The answers Glass gave made Wittman a fit. Of course, a number of people come to mind, but it is a name that former players could mention and likely well known to Glass as a fellow IU student. I wouldn't be surprised if he would look if he was interested.

He wasn't talking about Wittman. It's sure sounded like he was talking about Stevens. He wants a proven winner and recruiter at the college level in addition to Indiana ties. I guarantee you Wittman won't be considered. It was pretty obvious that Fred is going big game hunting.

He wasn't talking about Wittman. It's sure sounded like he was talking about Stevens. He wants a proven winner and recruiter at the college level in addition to Indiana ties. I guarantee you Wittman won't be considered. It was pretty obvious that Fred is going big game hunting.
I hope so. Throw the kitchen sink at Stevens. Don't take "no" for an answer. He said resources would not be an impediment to getting the right guy.

Wittman is older and has never recruited...to BIG a risk in My opinion
The never ending recruiting has to be the worse part of being a college basketball coach. It can't be good on a marriage and I imagine it keeps a lot of pro coaches from going back to coach college ball. Joanie Crean always said that it wasn't a problem for them because she grew up in a coaching family.

Randy Wittman. I'm not endorsing him or here to campaign against him. The answers Glass gave made Wittman a fit. Of course, a number of people come to mind, but it is a name that former players could mention and likely well known to Glass as a fellow IU student. I wouldn't be surprised if he would look if he was interested.
What NBA coach in his right mind would agree to go voluntarily back to being a college coach with the grind of yearround recruiting, random lack of job security and, oh yes, a cut in salary of more than 50%?

The never ending recruiting has to be the worse part of being a college basketball coach. It can't be good on a marriage and I imagine it keeps a lot of pro coaches from going back to coach college ball. Joanie Crean always said that it wasn't a problem for them because she grew up in a coaching family.
Awe I feel so sorry. I bet that new mercedes will keep her hush hush

Steven's salary is similar to Cuonzo Martin's new contract. He's in a great situation and not coming to IU, but IU could certainly make an offer above his current salary.

There's also the 41 road games not including the playoffs as well as a season that goes from October to June.

Again, he's beyond a pipe dream, but there are downsides to coaching in the NBA as well.

I'm also not clear on how there's more job security in the NBA. If you win, you stay. No different than college.

You have to at least go to Stevens with top 5 money and make him say no thanks.
I'm sure Glass will if he hasn't already. All it takes is a phone call, probably ending with "Well, I just thought I'd ask, Brad, just to say I did. How's the family?"

Glass covered alot of bases.....He made a point to say he will talk to any IU guy who is interested. This is because the accusation lingers about Myles Brand refusing to talk to Alford...and whoever else refusing to take a call from Randy Wittman at one time....This is smart.....eliminate some bad feelings and unnecessary negative press.

I think Glass is aiming very high....that is what I want to see. Donovan? Yep...top of the heap. He sets the bar....others would and should need to reach high to get this job after Donovan. Whose got the nads for that? Probably a couple of guys who would be solid hires....Marshall and Archie.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT