ADVERTISEMENT

A Couple Of Thoughts on 2023-2024 IU Basketball

Fred C. Dobbs

Freshman
Aug 19, 2002
Atlanta, GA
When is the last time that IU had a front line of 7:0, 6:10 and 6:6? Not Schlundt (but close), not Bellamy, not Benson, Not Blab.

When is the last time that IU had a base team of a Center and 2 Forwards? Benson, May and Abernathy?

CMW just doesn't have any confidence in Leal. Getting him confident and getting his shooting online would help spread the floor. I think Leal got 0 minutes against Michigan. Splitting 80 minutes between Galloway, Cupps and Gunn is going to wear them down.

I really hope that Johnson can get healthy, come back and get ready to play. Johnson leading the "out" defense elevates our team defense up a quantum.

1981 you had Turner, who was every bit of 6'10", Tolbert, who played tall at 6'9" (due to his leaping) and Kitchel who was 6'8" and then Wittman at guard who was 6'6". That was a tall front line that played even taller due to the athleticism of Turner and Tolbert.

In 2002 you had Jeffries at 6-10, Newton at 6-9, and Odle at 6-8 with George Leach at 6-11 coming off the bench. Jeffries was probably closer to 6-11.

This year's Frontline is 7', 6'9", and 6'8"

Collier, Patterson and Mujezinovic in 97 were 7', 6'9", and 6'8". Plus Charlie Miller was 6'7". They added 6'8" Gladness the next year but Collier bolted mid season after crying about not getting enough chances to shoot 3s.

I agree about the 01 and 02 teams also. Huge front lines. Jeffries was at least 6'10". Newton was 6'9 or 10, and Leach was 6'11, plus 6'10" Haston. That was 01. Probably the tallest front 4 ever.

Also, the 96 team had Evans and Patterson who were really 6'7", and 6'8", but then Todd Lindeman was 7' going on taller.

When is the last time that IU had a front line of 7:0, 6:10 and 6:6? Not Schlundt (but close), not Bellamy, not Benson, Not Blab.

When is the last time that IU had a base team of a Center and 2 Forwards? Benson, May and Abernathy?

CMW just doesn't have any confidence in Leal. Getting him confident and getting his shooting online would help spread the floor. I think Leal got 0 minutes against Michigan. Splitting 80 minutes between Galloway, Cupps and Gunn is going to wear them down.

I really hope that Johnson can get healthy, come back and get ready to play. Johnson leading the "out" defense elevates our team defense up a quantum.
I really don’t get all the talk about Leal. Apparently, in practice, he’s 100% lights out from 3. Problem is, I’ve never seen anything else from Leal that would indicate he deserves significant playing time. When he does get into a game, he might take one 3 and miss it. Maybe if he did other things well enough to justify playing 10-15 minutes, he could shoot a lot more 3s and hit a few. If Leal can really shoot that well, I’d love to see him be able play enough minutes to get at least 5-6 attempts from 3 every game. We could use it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT