ADVERTISEMENT

A big F You to the NCAA from Kansas

I wasn't there, just remember my TV. We were pretty happy (myself included) that we just whipped PU and the visual of him walking off the court with his name chanted and being greatly applauded.

Which is fine as we've always been split at the individual level in some way on that question of the cost of winning.

Hell Coach Knight constantly tested how far we'd go with his behavior. I could have told you when I was ten years old he's likely to do something crazy and get himself fired.

As far as Sampson, you see it in this thread. Some IU fans think we're too Pollyanna and cling too much to Knight's unbending no playing in the gray.

That is probably Coach Knight's main culture distinction.

He could win without cheating. That's pretty bad ass.

In retrospect I agree with Dakich that probably no other school would sack its coach in the middle of the season when they were ranked 7th but IU did, and we should be proud of that as an institution knowing a chunk of us will think we're crazy to do so.

Like in this thread.
He left the court that night to thunderous applause from the entire arena. He wasn’t the most be.over IU coach ever, but he was starting to inland people were definitely warming up to him. Unfortunately, our Keystone Cops compliance efforts were woefully inadequate for some like him, and we diddled for months before finally figuring out how he’d been fooling us in plain sight. RG took the fall, but there were others who should’ve gone with him. Ray Looze is glad we slept walked through it, however.

What is wrong with NOT cheating? I don't get it. It is rigid to NOT cheat?

all this cheating going on, you’d think all these schools would be on probation

if they have “laws” they willingly choose not to enforce are they even laws anymore?

The NCAA is telling everyone to read between the lines, we’re just the only ones with all the means and none of the stones

Reactions: DABFAN
Enjoy watching him in the Final Four tonight from your Mom’s basement. By all accounts he’s respected by just about everyone in the coaching community. Take the blinders off.
why? because he's a winner.

I wasn't there, just remember my TV. We were pretty happy (myself included) that we just whipped PU and the visual of him walking off the court with his name chanted and being greatly applauded.

Which is fine as we've always been split at the individual level in some way on that question of the cost of winning.

Hell Coach Knight constantly tested how far we'd go with his behavior. I could have told you when I was ten years old he's likely to do something crazy and get himself fired.

As far as Sampson, you see it in this thread. Some IU fans think we're too Pollyanna and cling too much to Knight's unbending no playing in the gray.

In retrospect I agree with Dakich that probably no other school would sack its coach in the middle of the season when they were ranked 7th but IU did, and we should be proud of that as an institution knowing a chunk of us will think we're crazy to do so.

Like in this thread.
No problem, sometimes it is tough to tell what is actually happening when watching on TV due to placement of microphones etc.

From those in the arena...The team got a positive ovation from the fans (including those in our section) that night after the win and a few hundered (maybe) students then chanted Kelvin's name. Most alums kind of shook their head about that, but kids don't care as much...they just loved the W and were supporting the coach. The rest of us knew Kelvin and that slimey staff were short timers and for good reason. Don't listen to the PU version of this...it is embittered obsessed bullshit.

Reactions: UncleMark
This isn't accurate. I was there as I was for all home games. There were a few hundered students who chanted his name. I have always understood the need for PU grads to twist this story, but even they don't go this far.
I was there at that game. He was booed during introductions but there were a whole lot of people chanting his name at
The end... met than a “few students”

Reactions: Fpeaugh2
I was there at that game. He was booed during introductions but there were a whole lot of people chanting his name at
The end... met than a “few students”
I honestly don't remember him being booed...but perhaps he was. By that time we all understood what had been happening and the atmophere was pretty surreal as you recall. Wanted to beat PU obviously, but we knew the guy and his staff were trash.

I am not sure who said that the chanting came from "a few students", but that would be incorrect. It was a few hundred...quite a lot. The team was appreciated however...people watching on TV might not be able to tell the source or direction of the noise.

Reactions: Gaslighter
I honestly don't remember him being booed...but perhaps he was. By that time we all understood what had been happening and the atmophere was pretty surreal as you recall. Wanted to beat PU obviously, but we knew the guy and his staff were trash.

I am not sure who said that the chanting came from "a few students", but that would be incorrect. It was a few hundred...quite a lot. The team was appreciated however...people watching on TV might not be able to tell the source or direction of the noise.
There were about 15,000 chanting his name. We’re not on a moral high horse. IU fans want to win just like everyone else.

Like in this thread.

I want to preface this comment by saying I would absolutely love any coach to do it exactly like Knight did in today's environment.

If you look at the worst cheating (Wade or Self) and look at how Knight coached by verbally and physically abusing his players. Knight style would be FAR more chastised in todays worlds. Not even close. He very well might be charged and put in jail, and I am being dead serious.

We are very close to actually paying players. Kilroys giving 10k to players for coming to the bar on Friday nights is going to happen. In 10 years "cheating" will be well with in the rules and part of selling recruits to come to IU, we can pay more. Just like texting players is being done thousands of times this Easter weekend by every coach in America......

IU fans need to see the future and not be stuck in the past. Well, actually the fans thinking isnt that important. That will just happen naturally with winning, always does, and the old thinking will die both figuratively and literally. It is Woody and Thad that matter, and IMO we are in great hands there. Thad never shied away from the grey area. Bout to land some ballers.

I understand that the NCAA has almost wrapped up the Kansas Investigation. They are about to place Northern Colorado on the Death Penalty. Seriously, this shows Me that Kansas doesn't care about getting to the Elite 8, given Self's record of failing to get Kansas far into the Tournament with very talented teams, i guess they are happy with the results.
Mark Emmert will go down as the WORST NCAA prez ever. He only made money off colleges and played golf. He has no moral compass or scruples. Kansas,LSU,UNC,Zona,Duke and UK know the NCAA will look the other way with their hand held out for bribes. Yet ND gets penalized for a coach taking a picture with a recruit. Makes no sense. Fire Emmert and clean house of all his cronies. Replace them with respectable watchdogs. They have tainted sports.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT