ADVERTISEMENT

A big F You to the NCAA from Kansas

edub72

Junior
Jan 17, 2018
Bill Self just got a lifetime contract at Kansas!!! Aren’t they under major infractions investigation by NCAA. I can’t believe this. Wow. FBI proved the damn violations

As Dakich said, most programs look the other way and have zero integrity in their athletic department.

IU fires their coach mid season when he's 23-4 and ranked 7th in the country.

IU should feel good about that because it means your not like every other program.

As someone who has asked if we're too pure in spite of ourselves (cuz I have very little doubt that Sampson would of had us competing for championships) it's a reminder that yes, it's good to stand for something.

As Dakich said, most programs look the other way and have zero integrity in their athletic department.

IU should feel good about that because it means your not like every other program.

As someone who has asked if we're too pure in spite of ourselves (cuz I have very little doubt that Sampson would of had us competing for championships) it's a reminder that yes, it's good to stand for something.
We found out months before Sampson was fired that he was still cheating. Oh, and we hired a known cheater under investigation by the NCAA. IU’s conduct wasn’t exactly exemplary.

Reactions: VanPastorMan
We found out months before Sampson was fired that he was still cheating. Oh, and we hired a known cheater under investigation by the NCAA. IU’s conduct wasn’t exactly exemplary.

And Sampson got a standing ovation after beating Purdue after the story broke so, we're not pristine.

Still in light of Self getting a lifetime contract and guys like Will Wade still in his position after being caught on tape paying players....it's something to be proud of vs beat ourselves up with like you see in this very thread.

Again we gave up a tremendous amount of success for a lot of pain by eventually saying no to common jackassery.

Reactions: F.Fletch
And Sampson got a standing ovation after beating Purdue after the story broke so, we're not pristine.

Still in light of Self getting a lifetime contract and guys like Will Wade still in his position after being caught on tape paying players....it's something to be proud of vs beat ourselves up with like you see in this very thread.

Again we gave up a tremendous amount of success for a lot of pain by eventually saying no to common jackassery.
nice guys finish last.

I understand that the NCAA has almost wrapped up the Kansas Investigation. They are about to place Northern Colorado on the Death Penalty. Seriously, this shows Me that Kansas doesn't care about getting to the Elite 8, given Self's record of failing to get Kansas far into the Tournament with very talented teams, i guess they are happy with the results.

I want to win championships and make deep NCAA runs like everybody else. But I don't want the need to take a shower after the season is over. It cheapens winning when you cheat.

I understand that the NCAA has almost wrapped up the Kansas Investigation. They are about to place Northern Colorado on the Death Penalty. Seriously, this shows Me that Kansas doesn't care about getting to the Elite 8, given Self's record of failing to get Kansas far into the Tournament with very talented teams, i guess they are happy with the results.
Yes, except for five Elite Eight appearances, a FF, a national runner up and national title to go along with 15 conference titles and four or five conference tournament titles, Self hasn’t done much at Kansas.
Self has done more in his his 18 years at Kansas than IU has done in damn near the last 40.
I’d give him a lifetime contract too.

This isn't accurate. I was there as I was for all home games. There were a few hundered students who chanted his name. I have always understood the need for PU grads to twist this story, but even they don't go this far.

It's not as easy but the most likely last two undefeated Champions both could do it.

Gonzaga and Indiana.

As did the last national champion Virginia.

As has Villanova.

So yeah, it can be done.
except iu. how do you know those other programs are clean?

Almost always, but they live happier lives with few demons to reconcile in old age.
they live happier lives? i would argue just the opposite. now the afterlife, that's a different question.

Makes being an IU fan even more frustrating. We could have Sampson still and would likely have a title or two more by now.
No self-respecting IU alum would say this. IU (an intern actually) discovered the three-way calls and began the due process to get Kelvin and his staff out. It took several months primarily due to following strict due process based on lawsuit concerns. The asshole gamed IU for a $750K parting gift.

IMO the far more serious situation was Sampson and his staff recruiting kids who had no business wearing an IU jersey and looking the other way as they made a mockery of academic and substance standards.

He never should have been hired. THIS is what is frustrating...not the fact that IU fired him and self reported.

No self-respecting IU alum would say this. IU (an intern actually) discovered the three-way calls and began the due process to get Kelvin and his staff out. It took several months primarily due to following strict due process based on lawsuit concerns. The asshole gamed IU for a $750K parting gift.

IMO the far more serious situation was Sampson and his staff recruiting kids who had no business wearing an IU jersey and looking the other way as they made a mockery of academic and substance standards.

He never should have been hired. THIS is what is frustrating...not the fact that IU fired him and self reported.

did you know the guys he recruited? I did. Such overblown BS. This take has made us suck for 20 years. Good work.

I want to win championships and make deep NCAA runs like everybody else. But I don't want the need to take a shower after the season is over. It cheapens winning when you cheat.
The sad thing for IU is there being different degrees of cheating. Getting 5 stars to sign because of the promise of cash payments is a lot worse than maybe or maybe not influencing recruits through extra phone conversations. There’s a reason it was done with a cell phone vs land line. The technology was new at the time when it wasn’t yet fully appreciated that cell phone usage could be traced. I still can’t believe Sampson was the only coach in the country who got caught for doing it, especially being a minority hire of American Indian decent, as if Indians haven’t been persecuted enough in history. “Let there be drums!”

Reactions: kmathum

Enjoy watching him in the Final Four tonight from your Mom’s basement. By all accounts he’s respected by just about everyone in the coaching community. Take the blinders off.

Reactions: kmathum
Makes being an IU fan even more frustrating. We could have Sampson still and would likely have a title or two more by now.
My wife is a realtor Sampson just bought a house in Bloomington. My source says he's coming back in an assistant position! You hear anything??!!!! LOL

Enjoy watching him in the Final Four tonight from your Mom’s basement. By all accounts he’s respected by just about everyone in the coaching community. Take the blinders off.
I serouosly doubt many respect him as a human being. Coaching chops...sure.

As I said...no self respecting alum would want him anywhere near the program. I get that you would trade pride, self esteem and ethics for a few Ws.

did you know the guys he recruited? I did. Such overblown BS. This take has made us suck for 20 years. Good work.
Hopefully you had better grades (hard not to) and didn't sell drugs. You and i have vastly different standards and expectations for the program. To each his own.

The drug of choice in Cusco/Machu picchu is Coca. What a great place. You can drink Coca Tea in the restaurants and cafes. Meanwhile the criminal US govt. felt the need to ban it in Pepsi.

I'm glad that Sampson has rebuilt his career. If he hadn't got banned for 5 years, I would of liked to see him remain.

Kansas gave the NCAA the big finger at their midnight madness with Snoop dog and the strippers throwing money into the crowd.... Just shows how pathetic the NCAA really is.

Reactions: ufo33
You guys are pathetic pollyannas holding on to a long gone trope of accusing other schools of “cheating” left and right

what successful basketball school...except for Gonzaga and nova who sign many many high level 4 and 5 stars....do you guys not accuse of cheating

news flash...Wright and few play the game

just a bunch of dummies

tell me how there is honor in winning when you cheat? Are you just proud your cheating was better than the other guy's cheating? I am very proud that IU won the Championship in 87 when we didn't cheat at all. Yet Syracuse who was cheaters back then lost.

imagine being in this guys mental prison of laws and rules

they live happier lives? i would argue just the opposite. now the afterlife, that's a different question.
Fun and happy are not congruent. I'll take contentment and peace in doing it right vs cheating my way. Sampson will be remembered as a great coach, but also a cheat. Excited for Woodson.

Reactions: VanPastorMan
This isn't accurate. I was there as I was for all home games. There were a few hundered students who chanted his name. I have always understood the need for PU grads to twist this story, but even they don't go this far.

I wasn't there, just remember my TV. We were pretty happy (myself included) that we just whipped PU and the visual of him walking off the court with his name chanted and being greatly applauded.

Which is fine as we've always been split at the individual level in some way on that question of the cost of winning.

Hell Coach Knight constantly tested how far we'd go with his behavior. I could have told you when I was ten years old he's likely to do something crazy and get himself fired.

As far as Sampson, you see it in this thread. Some IU fans think we're too Pollyanna and cling too much to Knight's unbending no playing in the gray.

That is probably Coach Knight's main culture distinction.

He could win without cheating. That's pretty bad ass.

In retrospect I agree with Dakich that probably no other school would sack its coach in the middle of the season when they were ranked 7th but IU did, and we should be proud of that as an institution knowing a chunk of us will think we're crazy to do so.

Like in this thread.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT