ADVERTISEMENT

247 Final Rankings - Bates 26, Duncomb 62

Bates really jumped ~
Duncomb climbed a bunch since last year too..
After seeing Kaufman in the regional & semi state..
I'd say we passed that class in W.L...
Frust can play though...

Good news is, the new coaching staff seems to have what it takes to find and recruit top players. I like our chances better moving forward. Now we gotta win more...
We've added four shooters, something Archie didn't put a lot of stock in. I think the wins will come with X, Parker, Kopp and maybe Bates.

Think he’s referring to Kaufman since he’s a southern Indiana recruit
I wonder if Kaufman is having second thoughts about committing so soon. He's was in Indiana/Louisville territory, Sellersburg, and it's hard to believe he was a Purdue fan. Apparently he, or his parents, just didn't like the way Miller was coaching his Bigs, and figured he'd do better at PU. I wonder if he would chose IU if he was making his decision now. Woodson, I think, would be the perfect coach for him. I'm sure it didn't sit well with a lot of his neighbors when he chose PU. He played with Duncomb on the summer league team, and, I thought, was a lock for IU. Guess not!

• Haha
Reactions: johnboiler123
I wonder if Kaufman is having second thoughts about committing so soon. He's was in Indiana/Louisville territory, Sellersburg, and it's hard to believe he was a Purdue fan. Apparently he, or his parents, just didn't like the way Miller was coaching his Bigs, and figured he'd do better at PU. I wonder if he would chose IU if he was making his decision now. Woodson, I think, would be the perfect coach for him. I'm sure it didn't sit well with a lot of his neighbors when he chose PU. He played with Duncomb on the summer league team, and, I thought, was a lock for IU. Guess not!
Do you even think we were the runner up? He was a strong Purdue lean for over a year and they were always the favorite, but Miller’s recruitment of him (where he showed him how we used TJD) made our chances minimal. I’m sure Woodson would’ve done much better, but who knows if we were ever positioned to get him.

Who needs shooters when you've got the pack line?

So many people bring this up and prove their complete lack of understanding for the game of basketball.

Go ask any basketball coach high school or over, who coaches man to man defense, to review the philosophies of the pack line defense. Then ask them if most if not all of the philosophies of the pack line are used in their teaching of man to man defense. I would imagine that 90%+ of those coaches teach most if not all of the pack line philosophies in their normal man to man defense. And those that say they do not are probably not good defensive coaches.

Pack line was not our problem. Our team didn’t play good defense overall. That was the problem. We had 3 guards that could be shot over at will whether they were on their man or not. We had 2 guards that could be blown by at will. Franklin was our only wing that played good defense and he was banged up the second half the year. Both TJD and Race were undersized for many of the big men in the BIG last year and neither played particularly good pick and roll defense or perimeter defense and neither were good rim protectors. Add it all up and they would have been a poor defensive team under any philosophy.

Reactions: BHAII
So many people bring this up and prove their complete lack of understanding for the game of basketball.

Go ask any basketball coach high school or over, who coaches man to man defense, to review the philosophies of the pack line defense. Then ask them if most if not all of the philosophies of the pack line are used in their teaching of man to man defense. I would imagine that 90%+ of those coaches teach most if not all of the pack line philosophies in their normal man to man defense. And those that say they do not are probably not good defensive coaches.

Pack line was not our problem. Our team didn’t play good defense overall. That was the problem. We had 3 guards that could be shot over at will whether they were on their man or not. We had 2 guards that could be blown by at will. Franklin was our only wing that played good defense and he was banged up the second half the year. Both TJD and Race were undersized for many of the big men in the BIG last year and neither played particularly good pick and roll defense or perimeter defense and neither were good rim protectors. Add it all up and they would have been a poor defensive team under any philosophy.
DG heavily disagrees with you on the pack line.

I guess we will find out in a year.

DG heavily disagrees with you on the pack line.

I didn’t know DG was a coach? Go ask a coach. Don’t take my word for it. Go educate yourself.

My opinion is that our team was filled with mostly poor defensive players who would not have done well in any system.

If you cannot sag, watch the ball and recover the 6ish feet to your man once the pass is made then you are in my opinion a poor defensive player.

Plus I have said this in previous post throughout the year. If you watch the games and compare what you see to a true packline, IU was rarely playing the packline completely.

Think what you like though. I am just trying to help you understand.

Kaufman #45 and Furst #61, Waddell is an unranked 0 star in 247sports and a Rivals unranked 3* legacy. Bates #26, Duncomb #62, plus Stewart and Johnson. I'm going with IU as the superior class.

Last edited:
Tamar Bates #26 2021
Kristian Lander #26 2020
Too bad for Lander that he didn't grow to 6'5", was only 17 when he left high school, and didn't get to play at IMG Academy against the best talent in the country on a weekly basis. I think Mr. Bates will be more mature, and much better prepared than Lander as a freshman.

Timing is everything. Unfortunate for all concerned.

Reactions: Please Be Kind
Too bad for Lander that he didn't grow to 6'5", was only 17 when he left high school, and didn't get to play at IMG Academy against the best talent in the country on a weekly basis. I think Mr. Bates will be more mature, and much better prepared than Lander as a freshman.
Don't you think that Lander benefited from a full year practicing/playing against B1G players? Didn't Lander benefit from the strength /weight training at IU? Remember, Lander is still a freshman next year.

Don't you think that Lander benefited from a full year practicing/playing against B1G players? Didn't Lander benefit from the strength /weight training at IU? Remember, Lander is still a freshman next year.
Yes, but the post I was replying to made it seem as though the two were equal recruits coming out of high school just because they were ranked 26th.

I certainly hope Lander will and should be significantly better next season.

I didn’t know DG was a coach? Go ask a coach. Don’t take my word for it. Go educate yourself.

My opinion is that our team was filled with mostly poor defensive players who would not have done well in any system.

If you cannot sag, watch the ball and recover the 6ish feet to your man once the pass is made then you are in my opinion a poor defensive player.

Plus I have said this in previous post throughout the year. If you watch the games and compare what you see to a true packline, IU was rarely playing the packline completely.

Think what you like though. I am just trying to help you understand.
Agree IU never played the packline well, but the packline as a system unduly makes it harder to guard the perimeter. Of the teams going deep in the NCAA tournament, I don't recall they were playing the packline. Am I wrong?

Agree IU never played the packline well, but the packline as a system unduly makes it harder to guard the perimeter. Of the teams going deep in the NCAA tournament, I don't recall they were playing the packline. Am I wrong?
While I whole heartedly agree with your assessment...the packline isn't geared towards todays game. You can't forget about Virginia just a couple of years ago. They're the masters of the packline and it did carry them to a NC. With that said, they've also gone out very early & often in the tourney and it's normally because a team lights them up from outside. Hell, even the PUkes all but had them beaten because they couldn't guard the perimeter.

If you coach a team and it’s players to inflexibly play the packline with no adjustments for any team or individual then yes it is difficult to guard the 3. But that is any defense. If you play one way without adjusting then teams and players will figure it out and beat you. Imo no team does that. Teams that play the packline rarely have 4 guys within 16 feet of the basket no matter the matchups and position of the offensive players. And that was also rarely the case with Indiana.

The example I always give kids when teaching them good help defense (which inevitably will have many philosophies of the packline) is Steph Curry. Generally we want you to sag enough to cut off driving lanes, double team easily, and rotate quickly for help side defense all while keeping your eyes mostly on the ball. But if you are guarding a guy like Curry do you do that? No. Players have to be smart and adjust on the fly. Curry will be 3 steps off the 3 point line and if you are in a position to cut off driving lanes of another player you will get killed over and over.

The player I reference for players to watch and understand how to play the packline well is Lebron James. If he is guarding someone like Curry he is stuck to them like glue. If he can sag to cut off driving lanes, passing lanes, double, or collapse for highlight type blocks he does. And he does it while reacting back to his man quickly if required.

In my experience, every single defensive philosophy, including the packline can be played at a high level effectively. But your players first and foremost have to be smart, good defensive players. Last year we couldn’t seem to put 5 guys on the court together who could play team defense effectively.

Everyone can have their opinion, but that is mine.

Reactions: Champs1976
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT