ADVERTISEMENT

2022, no more One-and-Done

I agree that college athletes should be there to get an education. So to those of you who agree with this point why the heck would you want the age minimum to be higher for the NBA? I think the most heinous thing in college basketball right now is kids making a joke of the university by not attending classes after winter break because they are going pro in the spring. That's worse than North Carolina "paper classes" scam. At least they were meeting the universities crap requirements (in what should be a deep shame to anyone with a now devalued North Carolina degree).

Also, maybe I'm a closet libertarian, but who are we to decide when and where a legal adult can go to work? Does Zion make college basketball more fun? (I was going to use Romeo as the example but opted not to considering...). Of course he does. But that doesn't mean fanboys get to decide when he goes to earn a living.

It makes it harder to pile up on multiple elite players. As mentioned above, the gap between the top 100 players will be closer. As mentioned in others thread, UNC and their upperclassmen dominated Duke without zion and they have 2 more elite Frosh plus Jones

That’s all true, but people thinking this will eliminate one-and-done players are wrong. We’ll have a few one-and-done with the Dukes and UKs getting all the two-and-done type guys. The top talent that ends up in college will still all go to the same schools. Talented players who didn’t go to UK because UK used all their schollies on one-and-done players would be able to go there if the rule changes.

Zion is the main reason why Duke is ranked #1
Zion is a unique match up problem in College Basketball. Reddish is really coming on in 2nd half of the season shooting the ball very well. Barrett was the preseason Consensus #1. That is now Zion.
UNC still would have wont hat game and Duke with Zion got down by 23 points to UL so it is not like they are unbeatable with him.

Now the question is, will the G-League completely restructure to be a true NBA minor league for all incoming HS All-America talents. With 6 figure starting salaries, and NBA parent team risk of injury insurance policies. You may never see 5* players ever again in college basketball. It will be sad that IU may never again get a 5* Indiana HS Mr. Basketball, as they will likely go straight to the NBA/G-League. (At that point, we are all Purdue.) College Basketball may never see another star studded great team as in the past. College Basketball may become more like the current NBDL / G-League littered with sub-par non-NBA or G-League talents. And the G-League could become the exciting new home of the best young talents on the planet, the premier One-And-Done talents such as Zion, Ben Simmons, etc.

Only small group of players will be elibible for those contracts. They'll get 125k. That's about what Duke is paying for Zion WIlliamson's Loss of Value disability insurance policy.

I still think most will go to college for the exposure, fanfare, luxury travel and amenities, etc. Bussing from Fort Wayne to Erie for an 11:00 AM game in front of 1800 people isn't super sexy.

Reactions: minneman
Purdue may finally compete nationally if and when the top talent no longer goes to college at the Blue Blood university programs. Everybody at the top will come back to the pack, they will get the next tier recruits that go to college but are not immediate NBA talents, so the talent gap will drastically narrow. Coaching will play a bigger role with talent levels more aligned. Calipari may bolt to NBA in a couple years when the O&D rule goes away.
Well they did not win championships before the one and done so why would they now if they go back to the old rule.

This essentially paves the way for tutored skills training to bring guys to the league instead of teaching them how to actually win by playing in college.

Instead of Nojel Eastern shutting down Langford, we will see zeros like DeAngelo Russell "guarding" him while everyone chimes in about how much better these guys are than college players.

Soon we will see AAU take the place of high school ball so that a young and pampered prospect can showcase his skills against other like high school athletes.

This will really close the door on US basketball dominance against the world.
I am tired of these entitled kids thinking it is their right to be able to play college basketball and do whatever they want. To me it is a privilege and if you don't like it go somewhere else and leave college basketball to kids who want to be playing college basketball.

I am tired of these entitled kids thinking it is their right to be able to play college basketball and do whatever they want. To me it is a privilege and if you don't like it go somewhere else and leave college basketball to kids who want to be playing college basketball.

I usually leave you alone, but c'mon, man. Did it take you 40 years to finally get tired of it? And yes, what you are tired of was going on just as much during the RMK days.

If you want college basketball that is about student athletes, and I'm not saying that is not a noble cause, go watch the Patriot League. Heck, Feinstein wrote a great book about a season in that conference called The Last Amateurs. One of the better sports books I have read.

I usually leave you alone, but c'mon, man. Did it take you 40 years to finally get tired of it? And yes, what you are tired of was going on just as much during the RMK days.

If you want college basketball that is about student athletes, and I'm not saying that is not a noble cause, go watch the Patriot League. Heck, Feinstein wrote a great book about a season in that conference called The Last Amateurs. One of the better sports books I have read.
I watch all of college basketball and really enjoy watching team like Belmont and Davison because they still run good offense that utilizes the pass and player movement. I still think there will still be very good players in the college game and hopefully we will see teas with more experience. With this I hope coaches go back to teaching the game and running offenses that are a lot more effective. Right now I think to many coaches build their offense around showcasing indivual talent and you get the horrible offense we see in the college game of today.
As for this going on during RMK days you might be right but most players back then stayed 3 or 4 years s they did have to go to classes and keep on track on earning their degree.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT