ADVERTISEMENT

2022 Concerts/shows you are planning to see

kkott

Hall of Famer
Oct 26, 2001
Just starting to go to concerts again. What shows have you gotten tickets to since music is starting back up? In 2021 I got tix to Jamey Johnson, Blackberry Smoke and Straight No Chaser last year and ended up not being able to go to any due to covid issues. Did go see Psychedelic Furs locally. This year I bought tix to Yacht Rock Revue, Flogging Molly and Whiskey Myers. I boycott many of the bigger shows locally because I hate the big outdoor concert venue in Charlotte due to the horrendous traffic and parking mess, so I only go to shows there once in a blue moon.

What shows are you planning to see in 2022?

Just starting to go to concerts again. What shows have you gotten tickets to since music is starting back up? In 2021 I got tix to Jamey Johnson, Blackberry Smoke and Straight No Chaser last year and ended up not being able to go to any due to covid issues. Did go see Psychedelic Furs locally. This year I bought tix to Yacht Rock Revue, Flogging Molly and Whiskey Myers. I boycott many of the bigger shows locally because I hate the big outdoor concert venue in Charlotte due to the horrendous traffic and parking mess, so I only go to shows there once in a blue moon.

What shows are you planning to see in 2022?
As I think I've mentioned before I lived near Mooresville for 7 yrs (2011-2018) so I totally get the horrendous traffic mess around Charlotte - LOL

Here's my list that I actually have tix for:

Dirty Knobs, Garth Brooks, Sammy Hagar & the Circle, Jackson Browne and Billy Joel. ( 3rd time for both Sammy & Billy, 2nd for Jackson)

Still under consideration:

Blondie, Steve Earle, (not seen) America, Gordon Lightfoot - (have seen)

I always end up last second going to local or up & coming artists so I'm sure it'll change.

I would go see Sting but the prices are high enough to supply Ukraine with stinger missiles for a year. I did see the Police though, on the Ghost in the Machine tour so it's not as important.

Thx for starting this thread!

That should be real good, if I wouldn't have just seen Hiatt I'd check that one out.
I just saw him with Jerry Douglas Band - he’s reunited with The Goners (including Sonny Landreth) on this tour. I’ve never seen him with Landreth. Dirty Knobs - very cool! I’d like to see them some time. Mike Campbell is such an underrated guitarist. I just saw Sammy and the Circle at the Ryman - no idea how his voice still sounds that good at 74.

Whiskey Myers in May in Indy. Was supposed to see Luke Combs, Cody Jinks and Zach Bryan in July, but my wifes family messed that up for me. Would like to see Tyler Childers, Koe Wetzel and Colter Wall.

Reactions: kkott
Taking the whole family to see Elton John in Indy this coming Friday. This concert has been canceled like three times. I swear I’ve owned these tickets for at least three years. Taking my youngest daughter to see Guided By Voices for an all ages show. Also have tickets for War on Drugs, Outlaw Festval and Billy Strings.

I got my tix to John Hiatt/Buddy Guy at White River Park. I've never seen Buddy Guy and he's been on my list for several years.
That's funny, for some reason I checked John Hiatt's tour dates yesterday and couldn't believe he's with Buddy Guy. The only time I've seen Hiatt was with Lyle Lovett that was sort of a discussion and jam session for them. I'd love to see a regular show and I love Buddy Guy. They aren't anywhere near me, but an excursion to Indy did cross my mind!

Reactions: evvcabinetman
As I think I've mentioned before I lived near Mooresville for 7 yrs (2011-2018) so I totally get the horrendous traffic mess around Charlotte - LOL

Dirty Knobs, Garth Brooks, Sammy Hagar & the Circle, Jackson Browne and Billy Joel. ( 3rd time for both Sammy & Billy, 2nd for Jackson)

I always end up last second going to local or up & coming artists so I'm sure it'll change.

I would go see Sting but the prices are high enough to supply Ukraine with stinger missiles for a year. I did see the Police though, on the Ghost in the Machine tour so it's not as important.

Was the NC Music Factory venue open before you left? As bad as PNC (old Verizon/Blockbuster out near Harrisburg) is, the NC Music Factory venue is great. Pretty easy in and out and it's around several bars and on the edge of downtown. I believe it only holds around 5-6K, but it is a terrific outdoor venue. I've seen Dwight Yoakam/Steve Earle/Lucinda Williams (LSD tour); Chris Stapleton; Greta Van Fleet and Straight No Chaser there among others. Unfortunately with it's size, it doesn't draw the biggest shows and acts. That's where I'm seeing Whiskey Myers and have tickets to Flogging Molly for.

Was the NC Music Factory venue open before you left? As bad as PNC (old Verizon/Blockbuster out near Harrisburg) is, the NC Music Factory venue is great. Pretty easy in and out and it's around several bars and on the edge of downtown. I believe it only holds around 5-6K, but it is a terrific outdoor venue. I've seen Dwight Yoakam/Steve Earle/Lucinda Williams (LSD tour); Chris Stapleton; Greta Van Fleet and Straight No Chaser there among others. Unfortunately with it's size, it doesn't draw the biggest shows and acts. That's where I'm seeing Whiskey Myers and have tickets to Flogging Molly for.
Not sure. I've not been there, though my Charlotte area friends have been generally positive about it. I'd be down for Flogging Molly, really like some of their stuff. I might be back in early June so I'll have to check the concerts down there.

COVID screwed up a Jimmy Buffett reunion party at PNC (I'll put up with it for a Finfest) but I've seen him more than any artist not named Tom Petty. (gosh I miss him)

You had to remind me of the LSD tour - LOL - I had a scheduling conflict and missed that one, with my Indy peeps saying it was really good.

It is just wonderful to see artists coming out of the woodwork to tour.

The combination of Post-COVID frustration release, and revenue being driven more by live shows than streaming - I think, has a lot to do with it.

Not sure. I've not been there, though my Charlotte area friends have been generally positive about it. I'd be down for Flogging Molly, really like some of their stuff. I might be back in early June so I'll have to check the concerts down there.

COVID screwed up a Jimmy Buffett reunion party at PNC (I'll put up with it for a Finfest) but I've seen him more than any artist not named Tom Petty. (gosh I miss him)

You had to remind me of the LSD tour - LOL - I had a scheduling conflict and missed that one, with my Indy peeps saying it was really good.

It is just wonderful to see artists coming out of the woodwork to tour.

The combination of Post-COVID frustration release, and revenue being driven more by live shows than streaming - I think, has a lot to do with it.
I am probably selling the Flogging Molly tix because I realized later it conflicts with a trip I planned, so I'll have 4 lawn tix for sale if you could make it work: think it's Friday June 10. They were on sale for St Patricks Day so I went ahead and got them. Let me know if you might have an interest in them.

LSD tour was really good, but honestly I was a little disappointed in Dwight and thats who I was looking forward to the most. He was pissed at the sound and lights guy and had a little verbal battle with them to start and it just felt like he rushed through the set with no time between songs... like he wanted to get off the stage. Sound was good, but didn't feel like he wanted to be there, and he probably didn't, but a pro shouldn't show that.

I am probably selling the Flogging Molly tix because I realized later it conflicts with a trip I planned, so I'll have 4 lawn tix for sale if you could make it work: think it's Friday June 10. They were on sale for St Patricks Day so I went ahead and got them. Let me know if you might have an interest in them.

LSD tour was really good, but honestly I was a little disappointed in Dwight and thats who I was looking forward to the most. He was pissed at the sound and lights guy and had a little verbal battle with them to start and it just felt like he rushed through the set with no time between songs... like he wanted to get off the stage. Sound was good, but didn't feel like he wanted to be there, and he probably didn't, but a pro shouldn't show that.
Hmm, you've got me thinking - great offer on the Flogging Molly tix.

That might be the correct timeframe but a couple of moving pieces standing in the way that may not sort out for awhile. Don't wait on me if someone steps up (of course), but if things work for me, I may contact you 1st just to see if they're still unsold. Rather help an IU guy out than go to the open market.

I'm not as much of a Dwight fan as I am Steve Earle. But you are correct, true pros never let their frustrations show to the audience, because astute concert goes like us, pick it up in a heartbeat - LOL.

I did a Buddy Guy show at the Vogue back in the mid 90’s. One of the best shows I’ve ever been a part of or seen in a club setting.
I bet it was. Did you book a Bo Diddley show there; I remember seeing him at the Vogue. Also used to go see a band called The Scene there and at other places around Indy/Btown in the late 80s and early 90s. Remember them?

Hmm, you've got me thinking - great offer on the Flogging Molly tix.

That might be the correct timeframe but a couple of moving pieces standing in the way that may not sort out for awhile. Don't wait on me if someone steps up (of course), but if things work for me, I may contact you 1st just to see if they're still unsold. Rather help an IU guy out than go to the open market.

I'm not as much of a Dwight fan as I am Steve Earle. But you are correct, true pros never let their frustrations show to the audience, because astute concert goes like us, pick it up in a heartbeat - LOL.
Check with me and let me know, but I'll probably try and sell them. With service fees and all, they were $114 (paid $17/tic vs $24 because of the promotion.... so how do 4 $17 tix end up being $114... f'n rapists w service fees)!

Reactions: Shadesof Crimson
I bet it was. Did you book a Bo Diddley show there; I remember seeing him at the Vogue. Also used to go see a band called The Scene there and at other places around Indy/Btown in the late 80s and early 90s. Remember them?
That’s a little before my time! Would have been amazing. Johnny Cash and his family is my all time biggest show.

That’s a little before my time! Would have been amazing. Johnny Cash and his family is my all time biggest show.
that's a pretty big one... and cool! I saw that Bob Dylan is coming to Charlotte. Anyone seen him in the last 10 years? I hate seeing greats once their voices go and that's where I've felt he was, so I've not looked for tix.

that's a pretty big one... and cool! I saw that Bob Dylan is coming to Charlotte. Anyone seen him in the last 10 years? I hate seeing greats once their voices go and that's where I've felt he was, so I've not looked for tix.
Didn’t his voice go like 25 years ago on a show by show basis?

I saw Dylan in November of 2019 at Emens at Ball State, pre-Covid. I've probably seen him a half dozen times before this; a couple were good, a couple were "blah" and a couple were so bad I thought I would shoot myself before the show ended.....

I warned my date that there was no telling what she might hear, but this show was off the charts good. Full of energy and with an excellent backing band, I could have watched him all night. He was in as good a voice as it gets, but it really helps to be very familiar with his work. He's going to play music; not wow you with commentary or jokes.

I'd go see him again anytime.

Taking the whole family to see Elton John in Indy this coming Friday. This concert has been canceled like three times. I swear I’ve owned these tickets for at least three years. Taking my youngest daughter to see Guided By Voices for an all ages show. Also have tickets for War on Drugs, Outlaw Festval and Billy Strings.
Going to see Elton john also this Friday. The ticket situation is a complete debacle, with the cancellations and re-figuring of Bankers Life/Gainbridge. I have been hoping that Elton John doesn't croak before he gets back here. looks like we might make it.

Reactions: Eppy99 and kkott
saw Tyler Childers w/ Sturgill at Rupp Arena, in Feb 2020, just as COVID was escalating. Tyler was on first, and I swear half the arena left before Sturgill even hit the stage. Kind of surprised me.
I like both those guys music, and don't really keep up with country music, but it does seem like Sturgill Simpson turns alot of folks off... and Tyler Childers is super popular, especially in KY. I'm sure lots of folks were just Tyler Childers fans, and isn't Simpson fairly outspoken politically? Seems like I've heard he champions what some might view as left wing causes. I tried googling it and surprised to see he was also raised in KY, so you'd have thought a Rupp crowd would have loved him too.

PS, did Childers play "Follow you to Virgie", and if so, explain anything about the origins of that song? I had a friend in middle school who died of leukemia and that song always reminds me of her and wondered if he'd had someone he knew growing up die young as well?

so glad i was in my youth when i could get into any concert for $20 or less, and not have to deal with gestapo like security, and i could sit there and burn one with no hassle from anyone, while i watched an elite band still in their prime.

Wishlist, pending schedule, will be Lord Huron, Kraftwerk, and My Morning Jacket all at Red Rocks.

I wouldn’t walk across the street to see any of these people for free.

kids pay good money these days to watch some guy play records.

10-20 thousand standing there watching some guy play records, as if that's a concert.

wtf?????????

Follow you to virgie I believe was about the loss of his friends grandmother. They spent a lot of time at her place growing up/ playing music.

I got my tix to John Hiatt/Buddy Guy at White River Park. I've never seen Buddy Guy and he's been on my list for several years.
I saw Buddy at the Louisville Palace.

Awesome.

Came offstage into the aisle I was sitting on and played about 2 feet from me.

We had a meaningful moment.

Gonna see the Mavericks at the Palace in July.

I plan to honky tonk in Nashville for my first post-Covid debauch.

Yep saw him in Bloomington a few years ago and it wasn’t very good.

Crap, I forgot I bought tickets to see Built to Spill at the Hi-Fi annex. This is another all ages show so I can take my daughter. My wife is gonna be pissed as Guided by Voices and this show are one week away from eachother. Sometimes I buy tickets without considering the consequences of going.

Wishlist, pending schedule, will be Lord Huron, Kraftwerk, and My Morning Jacket all at Red Rocks.
My morning jacket at red rocks sounds great. Big Head Todd is there this summer too. They're getting long in the tooth tho

Last edited:
I wouldn’t walk across the street to see any of these people for free.
From the listed. Flogging Molly's, Buddy Guy, Steve Earle ... would be worth catching. Molly's don't sound very good live though. Not many do ..

Lot of old acts that should have retired 20 years ago ..

The Nashville country some of these people listen to only shows how musically ignorant they are. I still can't believe people can't see through the façade and actually pay to watch manufactured clown acts ..

Reactions: mike41703
From the listed. Flogging Molly's, Buddy Guy, Steve Earle ... would be worth catching. Molly's don't sound very good live though. Not many do ..

Lot of old acts that should have retired 20 years ago ..

The Nashville country some of these people listen to only shows how musically ignorant they are. I still can't believe people can't see through the façade and actually pay to watch manufactured clown acts ..
How many people have actually paid 10 cents to watch you play? My guess is zero.

• Haha
Reactions: GuyDatHoo
I saw Buddy at the Louisville Palace.

Awesome.

Came offstage into the aisle I was sitting on and played about 2 feet from me.

We had a meaningful moment.

Gonna see the Mavericks at the Palace in July.

I plan to honky tonk in Nashville for my first post-Covid debauch.
I absolutely love the Mavericks. That will be a great show.

Reactions: muubell

Billy Joel at ND Stadium
RHCP at Soldier Field
Gary Clark Jr at Red Rocks Amphitheater
Foo Fighters (cancelled as of yesterday) :(

Reactions: Shadesof Crimson
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT